TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> MSRP Will Be $999 & Available starting March <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Darin is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

Well, it depends on if my recollection is correct or not. I thought lifetime subscriptions were transferred to the account, not the box, so additional TiVos on that account would also be covered under the lifetime sub, but the boxes sold to another person would not take the lifetime with it. The fact that the HD-Tivo is using HD receivers instead of SD receivers shouldn't matter from the perspective of a TiVo subscription, at least not in my eyes. But someone who knows more about the lifetime subs probably needs to chime in.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

Re: Lifetime

quote:
Originally posted by dyanni
I have 3 lifetime activations on my 3 Gen1 DirecTivo's - Am I in the Twilight Zone thinking that DirecTV would allow us Lifetimers to transfer our subs to the HDTivo's if we do so within a certain timeframe of release ?

I love my 3 Dtivo's and Timeshift - and Roomshift - to see what I want with the precious few moments I have to watch TV. I would love to be able to migrate all of them to HD - and would, if such a deal were offered.

There's no transfer involved; your "lifetime" status with DirectTV DVR service is now on your account and has nothing to do with your receivers; take them all off, add more, replace some, whatever; lifetime is with your account now, not with any given receiver(s).

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Bryanmc
One other question ('cause this is the first I've heard of lifetime switching to the account) if I ever drop DirecTV do I lose that lifetime status?

Can I come back later and get it again?

I'm between jobs right now and dropping DirecTV for a time is on the list at some point to reduce costs. I'll be very unhappy if that means I lose my lifetime status.

Don't cancel your service, suspend it. Tell them why.

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dyanni is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 06:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dyanni Visit dyanni's homepage! Find more posts by dyanni Add dyanni to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dyanni
Happy now

Re: Re: Lifetime

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
There's no transfer involved; your "lifetime" status with DirectTV DVR service is now on your account and has nothing to do with your receivers; take them all off, add more, replace some, whatever; lifetime is with your account now, not with any given receiver(s).

Ok - so since I bought 'lifetime' for 3 DVR's - then it will cover any three dvr's (tivo) that I upgrade to ? for the sake of argument, if I added a fourth (not gonna happen) but - would I be required to pay the monthly tivo fee to directv on that one ?

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AAhitman is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 07:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AAhitman Find more posts by AAhitman Add AAhitman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAhitman
Tuna fan (now)

Re: Re: Re: Lifetime

quote:
Ok - so since I bought 'lifetime' for 3 DVR's - then it will cover any three dvr's (tivo) that I upgrade to ? for the sake of argument, if I added a fourth (not gonna happen) but - would I be required to pay the monthly tivo fee to directv on that one ?

No. Once you pay the lifetime once all future machines are covered.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 08:41 AM
dswallow
+258PC

Re: Re: Re: Lifetime

quote:
You're in a special situation. If you had even just one lifetime-subscribed receiver on your account all of your DVR receivers are now eligible for lifetime service; that you had 2 additional lifetime-subscribed receivers, you're kinda losing out financially in a way... maybe you could actually talk DirecTV into spreading the wealth a bit if you gave them good reason.

I sorta doubt you could talk 'em into it, really, but frankly, if it were a relative you wanted to give one too, I might give it a serious try. I might do this in a letter though; it's likely beyond the comprehension of most people you'd ever talk to on the phone at DirecTV.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 11:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

3 Lifetime subs? oh man did you get screwed or what? These are all on the same account right? They've always mirrored your Tivo subscription from one box to all of the others provided they're on the same account/phone number. I pay nothing (i have the uberpackage where they waive the fee) but if I didn't I'd pay $4.95 a month for the Tivo subscription and all of my other boxes would mirror off of that one.

I really don't understand your situation, please tell me you have three houses and three separate accounts.

Otherwise it sounds like you got bent over by some clueless DTV reps. I could definitely see them taking your order for a lifetime sub again and again and again cause they don't know any better.

You might even be best off selling two of the units with the lifetime sub (if it's still tied to the box) and buying new units for $99...unless of course you're taking advantage of other functionality on those Series 1 boxes, which then would make all of this a hell of a lot more understandable.

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hitormiss is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 02:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hitormiss Find more posts by hitormiss Add hitormiss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hitormiss

quote:
Originally posted by Darin
I thought lifetime subscriptions were transferred to the account, not the box, so additional TiVos on that account would also be covered under the lifetime sub, but the boxes sold to another person would not take the lifetime with it. The fact that the HD-Tivo is using HD receivers instead of SD receivers shouldn't matter from the perspective of a TiVo subscription, at least not in my eyes. But someone who knows more about the lifetime subs probably needs to chime in.

I asked a TiVo exec about this at CES. He said that the lifetime is indeed tied to the account, so any boxes you resell or give away do not come with the subscription. If you have lifetime and do not cancel your account, he said you will never pay for TiVo service on DirecTV, even if you add an HD box (or two...). Of course, King Murdoch could change this someday, but it supposedly applied to the HD-DVR250.

It does make sense. Say you had three DirecTiVo boxes on lifetime, and you upgrade and give two of them to two different people. Should they also each get lifetime? By tying it to account, it becomes easier to track.

By the way, I was told that they are planning to add folders in a software upgrade, but that they needed to leave the current version on in order to get the box out on time. Of course, the answer to almost any feature I asked about was "possible future software upgrade" (said with a smile ), but they seemed to mean it when talking about folders, acknowledging how difficult it will be to manage 200+ hours of unsorted programming.

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigcb37 is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 08:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigcb37 Find more posts by bigcb37 Add bigcb37 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigcb37
Willing Member

What about if you have a SA Series 1 with a lifetime sub on it and you switch to Directv, will the lifetime service go over as well? If not, then I assume I can sell the SA including the lifetime sub...right?

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 08:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

The Stand Alone boxes have nothing to do with DirecTV. Lifetime on a SA is through TIVO... so you can sell the box with the lifetime service.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

Well, it's good to know I wasn't spewing erroneous information. dyanni, I also don't understand why you have three lifetime subs. Even back in the days before the lifetime subs were moved to the account, you STILL only had to pay one TiVo subscription on combo boxes, regardless of how many combo boxes you had (assuming they were all on the same account). In other words, even a couple of years ago you would have only had to buy one lifetime sub to cover all three.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dyanni is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 12:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dyanni Visit dyanni's homepage! Find more posts by dyanni Add dyanni to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dyanni
Happy now

ok, it's looking pretty dark now. I bought two separate Tivo's for my home, and one for my Dads. I called to activate my Tivo service through DirecTV - and they charged me the 199.00 for lifetime service. Later - For the second activation, they charged me around 250 I think. For my dads DirecTV, he has to go through Pegasus (rural) so that was an additional 250 for lifetime ( which I understand - different account ) But, maybe I did buy the farm on the second DirecTivo at my place.

Shrug ...

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 12:24 AM
Darin
Way Left

I'd call back and ask for a credit. They shouldn't have charged you that on the the second one, just the standard 5$/month mirroring fee. The third one is a separate account, so that's expected.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

Get your money back, QUICK! $250 is 1/4 of the way towards an HD Tivo!

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 02:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

So trying to sort through 100 hours on Samsung DTivo's isn't enough of a hassle for them to budge on the upgrade for existing units?

quote:
Originally posted by hitormiss
Of course, the answer to almost any feature I asked about was "possible future software upgrade" (said with a smile ), but they seemed to mean it when talking about folders, acknowledging how difficult it will be to manage 200+ hours of unsorted programming.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkzoller is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkzoller Find more posts by bkzoller Add bkzoller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkzoller

I agree. People who purchase the HD-TiVo are unlikely to fill up their hard drive with 200 hours of SD programming. That's what the current DTiVo is for.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie
TiVo Forum Special Member

30 hours of HD could go really quick for me

quote:
Originally posted by bkzoller
I agree. People who purchase the HD-TiVo are unlikely to fill up their hard drive with 200 hours of SD programming. That's what the current DTiVo is for.

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FourDoor is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 04:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FourDoor Find more posts by FourDoor Add FourDoor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FourDoor
I Tivo!

So bottome line:

Early HD DTivo adopter = MSRP or close to MSRP price tag
People willing to wait = even better deals than early adopter

My first DTivo was a S2 on pre-order. I kicked myself in the butt when I found out that the S1 units were pretty much all sold out in the stores when the S1 dropped down to $99. I never thought the S2 DTivo would ever go down below $100. But less than a year after the S2 DTivo was first released, the S2 DTivo could be easily had for sub $100 from both DTV and B&M stores.

I for one will be pre-ordering this baby as soon as it hits the store computers. One of my largest reasons for buying an HDTV set was for an HD DTivo. SD Signal looks pretty bad on my set from my regular HDVR2 DTivo and am praying that the HD DTivo will do an awesome job upscaling these week SD signals to 480p or 1080i.

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Beveridge is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 04:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Beveridge Visit Chris Beveridge's homepage! Find more posts by Chris Beveridge Add Chris Beveridge to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Beveridge

quote:

Er, bzzt, thanks for playing.

While I absolutely am thrilled to be getting this unit this year, the bulk of our recording will still be mostly SD titles. With two kids between 1 and 4, we record a LOT of kids shows. THAT fills up our current 30 hour limit pretty damn fast as it is. I'll be purchasing an HDTivo and recording maybe 3-4 programs in HD on average as I don't watch much TV. The rest of the queue will be filled with numerous SD shows.

Not everyone watches TV the same way, even in Tivo land.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dvdude is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 04:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dvdude Find more posts by dvdude Add dvdude to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dvdude

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Beveridge
Er, bzzt, thanks for playing.

While I absolutely am thrilled to be getting this unit this year, the bulk of our recording will still be mostly SD titles. With two kids between 1 and 4, we record a LOT of kids shows. THAT fills up our current 30 hour limit pretty damn fast as it is. I'll be purchasing an HDTivo and recording maybe 3-4 programs in HD on average as I don't watch much TV. The rest of the queue will be filled with numerous SD shows.

Not everyone watches TV the same way, even in Tivo land.

Seems like a very expensive way to get additional SD hours to me.....

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged