TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Did Anyone See the HDTiVo in Action at CES?? <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hongcho is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 07:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

quote:
Originally posted by larryhdtv
How about a firewire output?[QUOTE]

There is none. However, there are a couple of disabled USB 2.0 ports.

[QUOTE]What do you do if the Hard drive gets full?

You watch undeleted shows and delete them if they don't automatically get deleted.

quote:
Why not archive it to an external High Definition device like
a DVHS VCR(High Definition VCR)or a HD DVD recorder.

You could, but I don't like tape-based system, and HD-DVD is just in its 0.9 spec with no devices on the market.

Sarcasms aside, this is Tivo's first HD product. I am sure their main focus till the March release date is to get this thing ready and out. After that, I am sure they will come up with something... Maybe enable the USB ports and convince DirecTV to adopt HMO, or SA OTA HD Tivo or something... I am sure they will do the market "research" for the next products.

Hong.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

weldon is offline Old Post 01-13-2004 12:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for weldon Find more posts by weldon Add weldon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weldon

quote:
Originally posted by kimsan
Since SPs are tied to a channel it should be a non issue. Set the SP for first runs on the HD channel and let it roll.

Unless I'm missing something really obvious here

Well, not all programming on a digital channel is in HD. I suspect that all episodes of a particular show will be in HD (or not) so Season Pass won't really matter, but I would like to know if it works in wishlists and so on.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jacquelyn is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 05:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jacquelyn Find more posts by Jacquelyn Add Jacquelyn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jacquelyn

Please clarify (If possible) regarding the inability to use multiple video outputs when using HD output. Am I totally confused or does this mean if I have DVI or component connected to Primary TV and s-video connected to a non HD TV and the DTivo is outputting a HD signal...there will be no picture on the second TV?

This is a big issue for me as I also use my TiVos for whole house video. Four of them are on a Channel plus stereo modulator (4 inputs) and two of them are running s-video and audio over Cat 5. I need the ability (not overly concerned about the methodology) to get the HD output to our (soon to be delivered) Pioneer Elite 50" plasma and pick up the same program on at least two other TV's that are not HD.

If my AV receiver will convert component to S-Video will using the multi room out function solve this issue?

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jacquelyn is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 05:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jacquelyn Find more posts by Jacquelyn Add Jacquelyn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jacquelyn

One other question, if I may.

My HD DTivo is in a cabinet that is between two rooms that have HD capable TVs. (Other one is Gateway Plasma in Husband's "Bar")

Can I take the component connections out to one monitor and the dvi output to the other monitor? Do I then see HD on both Plasmas?

Thanks

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

quote:
Originally posted by Jacquelyn
Please clarify (If possible) regarding the inability to use multiple video outputs when using HD output. Am I totally confused or does this mean if I have DVI or component connected to Primary TV and s-video connected to a non HD TV and the DTivo is outputting a HD signal...there will be no picture on the second TV?

This is a big issue for me as I also use my TiVos for whole house video. Four of them are on a Channel plus stereo modulator (4 inputs) and two of them are running s-video and audio over Cat 5. I need the ability (not overly concerned about the methodology) to get the HD output to our (soon to be delivered) Pioneer Elite 50" plasma and pick up the same program on at least two other TV's that are not HD.

1. HD (HDMI and component) and SD (S-Video and composite) outputs are mutually exclusive.
2. All SD outputs are active when the format is in 480i.
3. For the rest (480p, 720p, and 1080i), HDMI and component outputs are mutually exclusive.

quote:
If my AV receiver will convert component to S-Video will using the multi room out function solve this issue?

Yes. However, I am not familiar with such receivers (I've seen one that upconverts S-Video to components, though).

Hong.

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 06:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

quote:
Originally posted by hongcho
3. For HD, HDMI and component outputs are mutually exclusive.

So you're saying that it won't output to both the component and HDMI outputs at the same time? How come?

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 07:48 AM
hongcho

quote:
Originally posted by Todd
So you're saying that it won't output to both the component and HDMI outputs at the same time? How come?

What I heard is that this is due to the limitation of the hardware they are using. Not likely to change any time soon.

Hong.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jacquelyn is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 09:33 AM
Jacquelyn

So only one video output is actually usable at any given time regardless of the signal (HD = component OR HDMI & SD = S-Video OR Composite)? No Rf output. That's gonna be hard to live with.

Is there any work around for this?

Can I "daisy chain" from the Pioneer Plasma to the Gateway Plasma?

Is there a signal splitter for either component or HDMI?

Does anyone know of a receiver that would "dumb down" the component or HDMI signal and output to S-Video?

Does a receiver exist with two component or HDMI outputs?

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 12:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

DVI splitter (you'd just use HDMI-DVI adapters, if necessary): http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1870

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

theratpatrol is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 05:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for theratpatrol Find more posts by theratpatrol Add theratpatrol to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theratpatrol

quote:
Originally posted by Jacquelyn
So only one video output is actually usable at any given time regardless of the signal (HD = component OR HDMI & SD = S-Video OR Composite)? No Rf output. That's gonna be hard to live with.

Is there any work around for this?

Can I "daisy chain" from the Pioneer Plasma to the Gateway Plasma?

Is there a signal splitter for either component or HDMI?

Does anyone know of a receiver that would "dumb down" the component or HDMI signal and output to S-Video?

Does a receiver exist with two component or HDMI outputs?

yeah no RF output really sucks. What were they thinking? But then again could you output HDMI and RF at the same time though? I guess you could always use a $99 SD D*Tivo to feed the rest of the tvs in your house.

Last edited by theratpatrol on 01-14-2004 at 05:55 PM

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MassRocket is offline Old Post 01-14-2004 07:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MassRocket Find more posts by MassRocket Add MassRocket to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MassRocket

I am concerned for the same reason as Jacquelyn. I naturally assumed that the HDTivo would be able to serve my plasma with the format of my choice while also serving a modulator with standard 480i.

In order for this to be the case, the HD Tivo would send a downrezzed 480i signal via the composite or s-video out jack while simultaneously sending the format of choice (1080i/720p/480p/480i) via the component video out jack(s).

This is critical if the HDTivo is to function as anything more than a slave to a single TV. Whole house video will be a hassle at best without simultaneous output. Presumably you would have to remember to change the output format to 480i before you tried to watch a show on another TV in order to even get a picture.

Is this correct? If so, how hard could it be to fix? It doesn't seem like there should be any copyright issues or anything--after all, we're talking about 480i.

If it is an unfixable hardware limitation and the unit won't even simultaneously output to both HDMI/DVI and component video at the same time (in HD), could one at least achieve a work around by getting a splitter for one of those sources and then connect one output to the HD monitor and connect the other output to some sort of third-party downrezzing device to get the desired simultaneous 480i signal? Does such a device exist?

(I don't why it keeps showing me as a New Member. I have been on this forum for years.)

Last edited by MassRocket on 01-14-2004 at 07:49 PM

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Joe Smith is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 12:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Smith Visit Joe Smith's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Smith Add Joe Smith to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Smith
Medium Member

quote:
Originally posted by theratpatrol
PIP is a software issue and could easily be updated on Tivo.

For PCs with advanced video graphics cards, PIP is just a matter of software.
For TiVo, PIP is a matter of ripping out the dedicated decoder chip and replacing it with more capable hardware.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

toddwinkler is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for toddwinkler Find more posts by toddwinkler Add toddwinkler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toddwinkler

Will you be able to use the Tivo Home Media option with DirecTV HD Tivo?

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wilsonc is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 01:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wilsonc Find more posts by wilsonc Add wilsonc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilsonc

quote:
Originally posted by toddwinkler

No HMO on any Directv with Tivo receiver.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FourDoor is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 01:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FourDoor Find more posts by FourDoor Add FourDoor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FourDoor
I Tivo!

quote:
Originally posted by toddwinkler

You can go ahead and read the pinned threads and multiple topics posted on DirecTivo and HMO for some fun if you're interested in the subject and a good laugh on how people are really for or against HMO on DTivos. In short, inital reports say that the HD DTivo will not support HMO upon intial release and appears to only be a software issue. It is all in DirecTV's hands if HMO will be available or not.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jacquelyn is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 01:36 AM
Jacquelyn

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
DVI splitter (you'd just use HDMI-DVI adapters, if necessary): http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1870

Thank you so much!

The Gateway and Pioneer both have DVI inputs so this should be perfect for me. It even looks like you could use another one of these to send two HD DirecTiVos to both Plasmas!

I plan to get one HD Tivo as soon as they are available and a second one as soon as someone is able to add more storage capacity.

Hopefully someone will come out with a 7.1 receiver with DVI inputs and outputs in the near future. (Does one exist now?)

One other question, the Gateway Plasma was a pain to get wiring to. I tried to "future proof" it as much as possible but did not run DVI. I have 2 Cat 5 runs and 1 coax run to the Gateway. What kind of cable do I need to run DVI? Can it be run over Cat 5?

Last edited by Jacquelyn on 01-15-2004 at 01:46 AM

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

toddwinkler is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for toddwinkler Find more posts by toddwinkler Add toddwinkler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toddwinkler

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure that the current DirecTV Tivo units would not do the HMO. I thought this might change with the new ones.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tony_ansley is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tony_ansley Find more posts by tony_ansley Add tony_ansley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony_ansley

Question Any Stretch or Zoom Modes Supported?

I was wondering if HDTivo would have any "stretch/zoom" modes internal?

I have a Mitsubishi TV which does not allow its stretch modes to be used on HD inputs...only 480i inputs. If I have the HDTivo connected, will I have to watch with bars (sent by the OTA/Cable station when broadcasting a SD show in HD). I don't want to have to change my TV input to an SD input just to allow me to zoom the virtical bars out.

Tony
=================
Mitsubishi WS-65869
Tivo HD250-10
Harmon Kardon DPR1001

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 05:07 AM
hongcho

Actually, s-video and composite can be on at the same time, but no one cares about those, right?

As I said, from what I heard, this simultaneous output issue is a hardware one. If they decide to get this corrected, we will probably see another delay as we've seen with the additional ATSC tuner.

As for the aspect control (stretch/zoom) modes, the demo that were shown to some people in the Bay Area had very simple selection. From 4x3 programming to 16x9 display, sidebars or stretch. From 16x9 programming to 4x3 display, letterbox or squeeze (or was it crop?). Adding more modes seemed to be a software solution, but I am not sure if they are going to risk the release date to add anything new.

Hong.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 06:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

"
As I said, from what I heard, this simultaneous output issue is a hardware one. If they decide to get this corrected, we will probably see another delay as we've seen with the additional ATSC tuner."

It is a hardware issue, it won't be "corrected", it truthfully affects very few people.

And if you have another existing box, your workaround is to continue to keep both active.

Is this perfect for everyone? No, but it's pretty close to sufficient for everyone.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged