TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Does anyone feel like they are being ripped off <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PrimeRisk is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 08:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PrimeRisk Find more posts by PrimeRisk Add PrimeRisk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

quote:
Originally posted by ElfenMagic
The question is how much they'd lose from current Premier subscribers who mirror...

I'm just speculating here, but I'd think that the segment of Premier subs would tend to have a larger number of receivers per household. I subscribe to Premier and I have 3 DTiVos and distribute the signal to 7 TVs in the house with a VDS. Soon I hope to have a HDTiVo for the theatre room and I'll move the current DTiVo to the guest room.

I believe D* would stand to lose a larger amount of money from that group. I still think that D* is the best deal going. I was paying $80/month for Comcrap to get Digital Basic with HBO and Showtime. I could only watch premiums and digital on one set because I wasn't going to pay the $8/month for additional boxes. Plus the quality, all channels are digital with any DBS service (except analog C-Band). Comcrap is only digital for the upper tier and premiums.

quote:
Originally posted by ElfenMagic
Time for more cookies.

Cool, send some this way!

BTW, I subscribe to Premier service + locals with 3 receivers, my bill is always under $100. Ok, well it's $97 after taxes and all, but still the best deal for the package I get.

Series 2 TiVo TCD240080, 80 hours - Lifetime Subscription w/HMO - Haulin' Tres
Series 2 DTiVos (3 x DSR7000s), 120+ hours
HDTiVo HR10-250, 200SD/30HD hours

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 09:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

quote:
Not really. Directv will be more expensive for me.

comcast cable: $36.99 basic cable, $12.75 hbo, $5 hdtv rental fee = $54.74. Standalone tivo = $0.00 (lifetime sub). extra rooms = no extra charge.

So stick with them then. And be prepared to whine when Comcast goes to pure digital and forces you to get a converter box for every room -- at $5-10 per room. Don't worry -- it'll only become more expensive as QAM tuners become standard on newer TVs and the cable company doesn't want to deal with renting boxes anymore.

Do an apples to apples comparison -- DirecTV will give you far more channels (of no use if you don't care about the channels), far better reception, and will give you all of the channels (including premium) in all rooms (and if you do have HBO everywhere now, that will go bye-bye when Comcast moves the premium channels to their digital network -- it happened to me with Charter).

As for the TiVo, you can sell it on eBay if you want. Even if you only got paid for the subscription, $300 pays for 5 years of TiVo fees on DirecTV.

I moved from Charter Digital w/ HBO to DirecTV. I still use my SA TiVos, but I saved $10/mo and added a third room. More channels, better picture, and fewer problems. But that's me.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

quote:
Originally posted by PrimeRisk
BTW, I subscribe to Premier service + locals with 3 receivers, my bill is always under $100.

You must not get the HD package yet. I have Premiere + locals + HD & 5 receivers, and my bill is somewhere around $115 (and they don't charge tax here) But that's the good thing about roommate situations... premium services seem much more palatable when you start applying dividers to the cost.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rcwalters is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 09:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rcwalters Find more posts by rcwalters Add rcwalters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rcwalters

quote:
Originally posted by Darin
(and they don't charge tax here)

You mean D* doesnt' charge tax in Georgia, or what? That's valuable info.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

Yes, no tax in GA. They don't charge tax in a lot of states.

EDIT: and to clarify further, there are no fees of any type added to the bill, at least not here in GA. The price for the programming is exactly what is published on their site. Extra receivers are $4.99 each. Tivo is $4.99 (not per Tivo), and that's it unless you want to buy some kind of protection plan, or something like that.

EDIT AGAIN: And in current news...

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

Last edited by Darin on 01-15-2004 at 10:22 PM

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shaydj is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for shaydj Find more posts by shaydj Add shaydj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaydj

quote:
Originally posted by smak
That comcast charge is for the same 3 rooms, with 3 digital cable boxes?

If not, than you can't really compare 3 room analog cable with 3 room directv.

-smak-

You're right, it is not an apples to apples comparison but it is the best comparison since dtv doesn't offer a stripped down package. I am talking only about basic cable in every room for free, but that's all I need. I think most people watch 70-90% of their tv viewing in the same room. I don't need HBO or other digital packages in my kitchen or living room. It's not worth the extra $5. If dtv was able to offer and the consumer was given the choice between just basic channels (let's say 100 channels) for free in other rooms or $5 for a full mirror, I bet at least 75% of consumers will choose the free option.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 10:02 PM
Darin
Way Left

And while we're complaining about being feeling ripped off.... the thing that bugs me is that I pay for Premiere, which includes all the premium packages, yet I have to pay an additional $10.99/month for the HD package. Why is the HD package any different than the other premium packages?

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shaydj is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 10:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for shaydj Find more posts by shaydj Add shaydj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaydj

Even with all my complaining and comcast being slightly cheaper, I'll still probably buy the HD Tivo for these reasons.

1) I haven't been able to find a cable or sat company that offers the WB (WGN in Chicago) in HD. I'd love to see smallville and other primetime shows in HD. I need to go OTA HD through directv to get WGN in HD with the Cubs announcing that over half their games will be broadcast in HD on WGN!

2) Nice to record two shows at same time

3) About time to replace my 3 year old first generation tivo! (though upgraded to 120GB for 145 hrs) Still very slow.

4) Comcast has gotten better with customer service but still have lingering hatred for them for past grievances. I'm actually satisfied with their service now especially their high speed broadband but I hate paying them.

5) Recording in HD is just too good to pass up!

Hughes Directv Tivo 35 Hours

Last edited by shaydj on 01-15-2004 at 10:30 PM

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonscott87 is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 10:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonscott87 Find more posts by bonscott87 Add bonscott87 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonscott87
Lets go Red Wings!

Just an FYI: You don't need DirecTV to get OTA HD. Dish HD boxes will also do OTA HD/digital and there are also OTA only tuner boxes that you can buy. So if you wanted to you could stick with cable and get the OTA HD box.

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-500 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
Vonage phone service, no landline!

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rcwalters is offline Old Post 01-15-2004 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rcwalters Find more posts by rcwalters Add rcwalters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rcwalters

quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
Just an FYI: You don't need DirecTV to get OTA HD. Dish HD boxes will also do OTA HD/digital and there are also OTA only tuner boxes that you can buy. So if you wanted to you could stick with cable and get the OTA HD box.

But that doesn't have TiVo. The whole point here is to have TiVo. There are no other options to get HD and TiVo.

But I still think that it is a major ripoff to have to pay $15/mo more just to watch the SAME stuff on my other three TV's. Digital is of no interest on an old 13" analog set, and so it is a ripoff.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shaydj is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 12:21 AM
shaydj

quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87

Yeah I know. But like the previous poster said, it's about getting HD w/ tivo. A regular HD OTA Box isn't worth getting for $300. It's another remote with another hardware with another antenna for one extra channel - WGN HD. I already get most HD locals and ESPN HD through comcast. Dish is the same price as Directv. Rather have Directv because of tivo.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jb510 is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 01:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jb510 Find more posts by jb510 Add jb510 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jb510

Please excuse me for 1) not reading every word of this thread before posting, I read most of it, and 2) for being new to DirecTv in general and asking what is probably a stupid question... I just got interested when they suggested they’d be adding HDTivo and HD local and since it looks like a SA HD Tivo is pure vaporware.

Q) If they didn't charge per-receiver what would stop me from putting 26 receivers on my one account? …in spite of them not all being located in the same house... or put another way what would stop me from banding together with all my neighbors to get almost free satellite? Is this perhaps why the charge per receiver?

-Jon

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rcwalters is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 01:38 AM
rcwalters

quote:
Originally posted by jb510

Q) If they didn't charge per-receiver what would stop me from putting 26 receivers on my one account? …in spite of them not all being located in the same house... or put another way what would stop me from banding together with all my neighbors to get almost free satellite? Is this perhaps why the charge per receiver?

-Jon

If that's it, then you and your neighbors can still band together and get D* for just a little bit over $5 each then.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 02:05 AM
Darin
Way Left

I think if you had 26 receivers, they'd probably look at you through a squinty eye. I believe Dish Network limits the number of receivers per account to six. I don't know if DirecTV has such a limit (if they do, I think it's higher), but there is certainly a limit to how much this could be abused before they'd notice. This is specifically why they WANT you to have your receivers hooked up to a phone line. They DO use callerID to ensure that the boxes are all calling from the same address. In the age of cell phones replacing land lines, this is getting harder for them to police, because it's getting harder for them to insist that receivers be attached to a phone line.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rcwalters is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 02:32 AM
rcwalters

quote:
Originally posted by Darin
I think if you had 26 receivers, they'd probably look at you through a squinty eye. I believe Dish Network limits the number of receivers per account to six. I don't know if DirecTV has such a limit (if they do, I think it's higher), but there is certainly a limit to how much this could be abused before they'd notice. This is specifically why they WANT you to have your receivers hooked up to a phone line. They DO use callerID to ensure that the boxes are all calling from the same address. In the age of cell phones replacing land lines, this is getting harder for them to police, because it's getting harder for them to insist that receivers be attached to a phone line.

Caller ID Block.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 02:36 AM
Darin
Way Left

I don't believe Caller ID block works if it's calling a toll-free call center.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

I've had as many as 11 receivers active in one of my houses and never had any comment from DirecTv other than wow. I'm back down to a reasonable 9 receivers in this one house now but when the HD Tivo comes out I expect it to go up again.

I don't have any problems paying the $5 per box, do I wish it were cheaper, you bet but I think it's, what did somebody say, 'I don't feel ripped off, but it's unfortunate or something'

Now having said that I take advantage of every retention offer I possibly can because I actually have had issues with their service and have used a lot of my personal time to get the equipment up and running and keep it working and that's worth something. I think I'm probably on the negative side of the equation still but it hasn't pushed me over to the dark side, despite many people encouraging me to do so. They cannot believe I spend $120 a month on tv.

Per Darin's point however, all of this is much easier to accept when you have roommates splitting the bill. In my house, actually it's included in the rent which is low already so I'm pretty much eating it...BUT when they want NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League pass, etc., they pay for it.

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jb510 is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jb510 Find more posts by jb510 Add jb510 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jb510

To answer my own question from above... you can only mirror subscriptions if they are connected to the same phone line, otherwise you pay a FULL subscription fee for each receiver (ouch). In other words you can't share with your neighbors. (see quotes below)

I'm wondering how long it takes them to suspend an active subscription though... If I just unplugged it for the weekend would it keep working?

I have a cabin in the mountains (very little OTA available) and would love to be able to get DirecTv up there for they 6-8 weekends a year I spend up there. I'd happily buy/install a separate dish up there if I could just unplug my receiver and take it up there with me for the weekend and have it work

from DirecTv's FAQ:

quote:

Q: What is the purpose of connecting my receiver to my telephone line?
A: We ask customers to connect the receiver to a land-based phone line for sports programming viewing and pay per view ordering purposes. This connection sends information from the receiver to our computer system. You cannot connect a cellular phone to your receiver; it must be a land-based phone line.

With this phone connection, DIRECTV customers are authorized to order pay per view movies and events with their remote control, get popular sports subscriptions like NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, and have the programming subscription on their main receiver "mirrored" to other receivers that are connected to the same phone line.

Customers who don't have a continuous telephone connection are not authorized to receive certain sports programming, can order pay per view online, in our phone system or with a representative, and must pay a separate subscription price for each receiver. There is an additional $1.50 charge when pay per view events and movies are ordered by phone utilizing the automated ordering system or an additional $5.00 charge for an operator-assisted order.

and

quote:
Q: If I have more than one receiver, do I have to pay a full monthly subscription for each receiver?
A: No. DIRECTV allows you to connect more than one television in a single household to our services. If your receivers are connected to the same phone line, we can "mirror" your subscription. In other words, the programming you request for the primary access card in your receiver is copied for all of the access cards in the other receivers and you are authorized to receive this same level or programming on these televisions. Instead of charging you a separate monthly subscription for each receiver, we simply charge a $4.99 monthly service fee for each additional receiver.

When we "mirror" your subscription to additional receivers, we do verify that all your receivers are continuously connected to the same phone line. If we find that a receiver with "mirror" service is not connected to the phone line, we will discontinue service to that receiver and you will need to call us to re-establish that service.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ElfenMagic is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 04:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ElfenMagic Visit ElfenMagic's homepage! Find more posts by ElfenMagic Add ElfenMagic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ElfenMagic
Cookie Maker

quote:
Originally posted by jb510
To answer my own question from above... you can only mirror subscriptions if they are connected to the same phone line, otherwise you pay a FULL subscription fee for each receiver (ouch). In other words you can't share with your neighbors. (see quotes below)

I'm wondering how long it takes them to suspend an active subscription though... If I just unplugged it for the weekend would it keep working?

I have a cabin in the mountains (very little OTA available) and would love to be able to get DirecTv up there for they 6-8 weekends a year I spend up there. I'd happily buy/install a separate dish up there if I could just unplug my receiver and take it up there with me for the weekend and have it work

In reading the DirecTV quotes you provided, I realized that my multiple boxes are actually on different phone lines: one DirecTivo box is on my line 1, the other on line 2. A third receiver-only box isn't even plugged in to a phone line. Whoops. But I haven't had any problems in the three months I've owned (though maybe problems are forthcoming...). So I'd guess your short weekend at the cabin would work just fine. My 2 cents.

Back to making delicious crackers.

-EM

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-16-2004 04:49 AM
Darin
Way Left

I also have a receiver that was hooked up on a different line for quite a while, and I have one receiver that hasn't been on a phone line in ages.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged