TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO amd Macs? It works? Not for me <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nlbford is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nlbford Find more posts by nlbford Add nlbford to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nlbford

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
If your TiVo is able to get to the internet but not see your Music and Photos on your Mac, I suggest you start with this article from TiVo's support site...

My DVR Cannot Find My Music or Photos Server (Macintosh)

Actually that was the first thing I went through before I even posted this thread . . . I'll go through again to see if I missed anything, but as far as I know I tried all that to no avail.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 11:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by nlbford
Where I find that to see if it is set? I have looked at my Airport settings and don't see that. I HAVE done what it says to do in their not-so-helpful trouble shooting guide as far as the sharing folders goes and that still didn't let me get that final step of seeing my published folders.

Thanks

If your TiVo is able to access the Internet (either via the Music/Photos on TiVo online OR by having a successful connection to the TiVo service), your configuration on your Airport Base Station is just fine. An active access list will stop any non-listed device from joining the wireless network. From what I've read, this isn't what is happening to you.

If you can't get to the Music and Photos on the Mac, the problem is something else.

Do you have the OSX firewall enabled in the Sharing Preference Pane? If so, disable it and see if it comes up. Make sure that TiVo Desktop is "on" and that it's set to share your iTunes and iPhoto libraries. It may take 5-10 seconds for the Mac to appear on the Music & Photos screen.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nlbford is offline Old Post 01-19-2004 12:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nlbford Find more posts by nlbford Add nlbford to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nlbford

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
If your TiVo is able to access the Internet (either via the Music/Photos on TiVo online OR by having a successful connection to the TiVo service), your configuration on your Airport Base Station is just fine. An active access list will stop any non-listed device from joining the wireless network. From what I've read, this isn't what is happening to you.

If you can't get to the Music and Photos on the Mac, the problem is something else.

Do you have the OSX firewall enabled in the Sharing Preference Pane? If so, disable it and see if it comes up. Make sure that TiVo Desktop is "on" and that it's set to share your iTunes and iPhoto libraries. It may take 5-10 seconds for the Mac to appear on the Music & Photos screen.

I have turned of any firewall setings in the preferences. One thing I noticed was that is I left the the TiVo menu in Music and Photos, after about 30 seconds, one or other of the Computers (occasionally both) shows up. But when I attempt to go to the music or phtos folder on a computer, after about 20 seconds I get an error message saying it maybe an temporary network issue and to check that Desktop is activated (it is).

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-19-2004 03:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

You may want to try using a static IP address for the TiVo and/or one of the TiVo Desktop machines. This can help sometimes.

When was the last time you restarted your Airport Base Station? The one I have (as well as a Netgear and LinkSys wireless router I was recently working with) will stop performing DHCP services for some reason. Do you know if the firmware in the Base Station is up-to-date? If the option is available to you, you might also want to try running the Base Station in 802.11b-only mode just to see if it makes a difference.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

matthewwhite is offline Old Post 01-19-2004 11:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for matthewwhite Find more posts by matthewwhite Add matthewwhite to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
matthewwhite

Running Pathner 10.3.2 on an updated G4 AGP (800mhz update card).

iTunes and iPhoto folders show up just fine. I just installed the Tivo desktop (1.0) and turned on the sharing from the system preferences menu for both the photos and music.

I'm running the free trial of the HMO and both show up and work perfectly.

matt

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 02:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

Did you try re-installing Tivodesktop, mabye it's corrupted?

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dinamande is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 07:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dinamande Visit dinamande's homepage! Find more posts by dinamande Add dinamande to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinamande

So, has anyone gotten this to work with Max OSX Panther?

I've read this whole thread about configuring a Mac on OSX 10.2.3 using an Airport Extreme wireless network to TIVO for HMO.
It sounds like no one has been successful yet. Anyone have a recipe that works?
Anyone use the Linksys WUSB11 vers 2.6?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Dina

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:31 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

I've been running on Mac OSX almost from the very beginning of HMO. I don't have an Airport Extreme Base Station (just the original model). Two important things when working with Mac OSX...

• If you're using the Mac OSX firewall (see the Sharing preference pane), you must open up a port for TiVo Desktop
  • If you're using WEP (password protection on the base station), you must use the hexadecimal key instead of the human-readable password
There were some firmware updates that have come out for the Extreme Base Stations -- I think you need to have applied them.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ReefHobbyist is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 03:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ReefHobbyist Find more posts by ReefHobbyist Add ReefHobbyist to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ReefHobbyist

Sorry to jump in this thread late. I am a Mac user but don't have HMO yet (DirecTV w/ TiVo).

One of the things that changed from the original ABS (snow) to the AEBS (extreme) is the addition of WPA (Wireless Protected Access). I'm not sure if the TiVo configurations are compatible with WPA or not but if it is active on your AEBS you might want disable it and use just WEP.

Just something else to try.

Scott

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged