TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> pre-order <<<

Pages (269): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
steel6 is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for steel6 Find more posts by steel6 Add steel6 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steel6

Just pre-ordered mine and added the Harmony remote. Anyone hazarding a guess as to what the pre-order count is right now?

Panasonic DMR-E50k
Harmony SST-658
Harmony SST-688
Samsung HLN467W
Harman Kardon AVR-525
Slimp3 Squeezebox

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

Does Value Electronics charge state sales tax?

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AV8NDV8 is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AV8NDV8 Visit AV8NDV8's homepage! Find more posts by AV8NDV8 Add AV8NDV8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AV8NDV8
Cross Member

Todd - only in NY

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Joseki is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Joseki Find more posts by Joseki Add Joseki to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseki

Just pre-ordered as well. One would hope that if the system accepts the order then you must be inside of the first 350. One would hope. I am also seriously looking forward to getting the Harmony remote.

David

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Starrbuck is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Starrbuck Find more posts by Starrbuck Add Starrbuck to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Starrbuck

quote:
Originally posted by steel6
Just pre-ordered mine and added the Harmony remote. Anyone hazarding a guess as to what the pre-order count is right now?

My mid-afternoon yesterday (Friday), they were up to about 100 pre-orders.

I adopted HR10-250 #21 from VE, received at 9:45am CDT on April 22, 2004

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nikunjs is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 10:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nikunjs Find more posts by nikunjs Add nikunjs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nikunjs

I just pre-ordered as well

hopefully i am within the 350 person limit.

2 Hughes -- HDVR2 106 hours
1 Hughes -- HDVR2 Broken unit! :(

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kemguy is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kemguy Visit kemguy's homepage! Find more posts by kemguy Add kemguy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kemguy

$999 minus $100 discount still too much

According to the latest news on PVRLOG www dot pvrblog dot com, street price for the unit will be between $699 and $899. So while his offer is good, it's apparently not the best there is going to be.

Robert

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

I just placed my order. Due to the $999 price, I was going to wait. But I'm a sucker for $100 off.

Can you guys help me figure out what else I'm going to need? I currently have a single LNB dish going to a 2 x 4 switch which in turn feeds 2 DirecTiVo receivers. I want to keep the upstairs DirecTiVo box as is, and use the HD box downstairs.

I think DirecTV will upgrade my dish for free after rebate once I subscribe to the HD package.

What switch do I need? With my 2 lines coming into the downstairs receiver, is it possible to use both my current DirecTiVo receiver along with the new one? I'm not sure if that would be worth it though. It might be too confusing. I was thinking I could use my existing DirecTiVo box for recording non-HD stuff.

Other than that, I guess I need to get an antenna for the attic. According to antennaweb.com, I should be able to get all my locals but I'll probably have to get a pretty big antenna.

Oh yeah, for my TV.... I have a Sony KV-32HS500 (gotta go bigger later on). It has a DVI input and according to the manual "Can accomodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices that have compatible interfaces". Do I still need an adapter?

Edit: I'm reading the FAQ again, so maybe I'll be able to answer my own questions. Sorry!

Last edited by Gromit on 01-17-2004 at 11:47 PM

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomr is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomr Find more posts by tomr Add tomr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomr
HDTivo and love'n it

Re: $999 minus $100 discount still too much

quote:
Originally posted by kemguy
According to the latest news on PVRLOG www dot pvrblog dot com, street price for the unit will be between $699 and $899. So while his offer is good, it's apparently not the best there is going to be.

Robert

I believe "the street" they were referring to was HERE. $699-899 was bandied about BEFORE the official DirecTV release. Also the different size machines were also talked about here but announcement of any other size has not been made.

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-17-2004 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Gromit
I just placed my order. Due to the $999 price, I was going to wait. But I'm a sucker for $100 off.

Can you guys help me figure out what else I'm going to need? I currently have a single LNB dish going to a 2 x 4 switch which in turn feeds 2 DirecTiVo receivers. I want to keep the upstairs DirecTiVo box as is, and use the HD box downstairs.

I think DirecTV will upgrade my dish for free after rebate once I subscribe to the HD package.

What switch do I need? With my 2 lines coming into the downstairs receiver, is it possible to use both my current DirecTiVo receiver along with the new one? I'm not sure if that would be worth it though. It might be too confusing. I was thinking I could use my existing DirecTiVo box for recording non-HD stuff.

Other than that, I guess I need to get an antenna for the attic. According to antennaweb.com, I should be able to get all my locals but I'll probably have to get a pretty big antenna.

Oh yeah, for my TV.... I have a Sony KV-32HS500 (gotta go bigger later on). It has a DVI input and according to the manual "Can accomodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices that have compatible interfaces". Do I still need an adapter?

Edit: I'm reading the FAQ again, so maybe I'll be able to answer my own questions. Sorry!

I don't think you'll have to change too much. When you add HD, DirecTV will provide a 3-LNB dish and install (either free or for a minimal price -- which right now you could get WITH a standard DirecTV HD receiver for only $99 so maybe you should do that now since getting the dish alone seems to be around $50-$70 with shipping).

The DirecTV HD DVR just needs two lines from the multiswitch, so if you're replacing an existing DirecTV DVR, you've already got the lines run. If you get the standard HD receiver and satellite dish now, you should tell them you have 5 tuners total and will need a 5x8 multiswitch (which as I understand they usually throw in for you as part of the install -- making that $99 HD deal really good).

As for antennas, unless you've got some VHF digital stations, the Channel Master 4228 seems to be among the more popular around here because of it's compact size; you should also consider a Channel Master 7777 or 7775 preamp, and possibly a rotator. www.warrenelectronics.com is where I bought my antenna equipment. Get all this installed now and you'll be plug-and-go when the DirecTV HD DVR is out.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 12:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DTV TiVo Dealer Visit DTV TiVo Dealer's homepage! Find more posts by DTV TiVo Dealer Add DTV TiVo Dealer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

quote:
Originally posted by kemguy

Robert

I am sure this is not a reliable prediction on the "street price" of the HD-DVR250. The prediction goes on to say.. "depending on manufacturer and HD capacity", which manufacturers and what different HD capacities could they be talking about? Further the low end of the "Street price" is far below my actual true net cost. As with all new high-tech products I am sure we will see a price drop after 6-12 months of market exposure.

Here's the exact quote. Interesting they are also quoting and linking to TC. Very flattering to all of us.
"Word on the street is that the units will cost somewhere around $699-899 depending on storage space and manufacturer. If any of the above technical jargon sounds like greek to you, the best source of background info on it is the TiVo Community board's new section devoted to HD TiVo, and more specifically the FAQ on all things HDTV TiVo and DirecTiVo. It does a great job explaining everything known about the upcoming units, what kind of hardware you'll need, what channels you'll get, and how it will operate."

BTW we're up to 163 advance orders as of 1/17/04 1:42 PM.

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cudahy is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 01:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cudahy Find more posts by Cudahy Add Cudahy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cudahy

Don't think there are any Good Guys stores out here in California. Are they similar to Circuit City or Frys ?

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PJO1966 is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PJO1966 Find more posts by PJO1966 Add PJO1966 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PJO1966
New & CURRENT Avatar

Good Guys stores are all over Los Angeles... it's the same as Best Buy or Circuit City.

POST #113 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hjones4841 is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 01:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hjones4841 Find more posts by hjones4841 Add hjones4841 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hjones4841

HDMI to DVI Conversion

OK, I jumped on the bandwagon early this morning. So, how are we gonna convert from HDMI to DVI? Geffen has a 10 foot HDMI to DVI cable for $60, but I already have a 10 foot DVI cable installed to the projector. Is there a connector adaptor available?

POST #114 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DTV TiVo Dealer Visit DTV TiVo Dealer's homepage! Find more posts by DTV TiVo Dealer Add DTV TiVo Dealer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

Re: HDMI to DVI Conversion

quote:
Originally posted by hjones4841
OK, I jumped on the bandwagon early this morning. So, how are we gonna convert from HDMI to DVI? Geffen has a 10 foot HDMI to DVI cable for $60, but I already have a 10 foot DVI cable installed to the projector. Is there a connector adaptor available?

The HD-DVR250 comes with a HDMI - DVI cable. You may need a gender changer.

POST #115 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PJO1966 is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PJO1966 Find more posts by PJO1966 Add PJO1966 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PJO1966
New & CURRENT Avatar

Is it April yet? I want it NOW!!!

POST #116 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hjones4841 is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hjones4841 Find more posts by hjones4841 Add hjones4841 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hjones4841

Thanks for the reply on the HDMI to DVI cable - good news. Have you guys reached 300 pre-orders yet?

POST #117 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cudahy
Don't think there are any Good Guys stores out here in California. Are they similar to Circuit City or Frys ?
There are lots of Good Guys in California.

<http://corporateinfo.goodguys.com/california.html>

POST #118 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 01:59 AM
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

quote:
Originally posted by hjones4841
Thanks for the reply on the HDMI to DVI cable - good news. Have you guys reached 300 pre-orders yet?

No, we're at approximately 175, the half way mark.

POST #119 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LarryInAz is offline Old Post 01-18-2004 02:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LarryInAz Find more posts by LarryInAz Add LarryInAz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LarryInAz
TiVo-holic since '99

Re: Happy Camper

quote:
Originally posted by aaron.s
Thanks for this thread guys!

I'm in too... Had sent Robert a PM several days ago about a pre-order but he didn't get it.... so thanks for this link.

The BEST part about all of this?..... I live 5 minutes away from his store!!! I'll be able to pick mine up as soon as he gets his shipment. He say's he should be getting all 300 in at once!

Looks like I'll have mine up and running the same day! The wires are all ready to be plugged out of my old SAT-T60 and into the HD-DVR250!

Aaron

Aaron,

I assume we can all depend upon you to give us a first impression review on the installation and quality of the unit?

Sold 2 Series2 units to pay for HR10-250 * [63 HD hours]

* Original HR10 "born" April 6th arrived April 22nd Died August 25th
Replacement HR10 "born" July 16th arrived September 3rd, re-upgraded 9/6

POST #120 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged