TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Go ahead and get the $99 HD deal from DirecTV? <<<

Pages (9): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Gromit is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

Go ahead and get the $99 HD deal from DirecTV?

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try to get the $99 HD deal from DirecTV. If they let me do it, it would be $450+ on my credit card, but my DirecTV account would be credited all but $99 of it.

I could have HD TV by this weekend and everything would be ready for the HD TiVo when it gets here. I didn't realize that the non-PVR receivers will do OTA signals as well.

Considering that I could later sell the receiver, I'm thinking this might be a no-brainer. Any catches that I've missed?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

It's a no-brainer to me. I did it when it was $399 (but they also gave me a $200 programming credit. You will be all set to go, and will be able to enjoy HD before your HD-TiVo comes. If you chose to do so, you could sell the receiver for more than you paid.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Alexander is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alexander Visit Alexander's homepage! Find more posts by Alexander Add Alexander to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alexander
Advanced Member

Just the 1 year commitment to Total Choice & HD package that they always stick you with, and the hassle of actually selling it.

You may also be using up a few "retention points" used to get deals from DirecTV, but that's sometimes a bit of an unknown.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit

I don't mind committing to the HD package, I was going to get that anyway (I'll want HD-ESPN for more than a year).

I've never taken advantage of any DirecTV deals in the past. I'm not sure if I've been with them for 2 years though. Some people are getting the $99 deal anyway, others are getting it for $200.

Apparently they even give you an OTA antenna, but it's a Winegard GS-1000. I don't think that's going to help me (UHF/VHF 0-25 miles). I wonder if you can pay more for a better antenna? I like the idea of an installer setting up my OTA stuff too.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Oknarf is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Oknarf Visit Oknarf's homepage! Find more posts by Oknarf Add Oknarf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oknarf

Thumbs up

It really is a no brainer from an equipment standpoint. Dealing with the install guys is another question.

FrankO

?
Hughes HTL-HD Receiver
DSR708
DSR708
HDVR2
DSR6000R01

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kirkfrey is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kirkfrey Find more posts by kirkfrey Add kirkfrey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kirkfrey

can you provide a link to the deal you are talking about? I can't find anthing other than the $399 normal price.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV.dsp

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 10:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

There is no link, as it's not a public offer. It is given to you on discretion from Customer Retention.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gsxrpilot is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gsxrpilot Find more posts by gsxrpilot Add gsxrpilot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gsxrpilot

From avsforum, you have to have been a customer in good standing for 2 years and spend at least $50/month on programming to qualify. There is an 800 number to call on avsforum to contact the department that can do this.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mtnbkr1 is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtnbkr1 Find more posts by mtnbkr1 Add mtnbkr1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtnbkr1

quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
Just the 1 year commitment to Total Choice & HD package that they always stick you with, and the hassle of actually selling it.

You may also be using up a few "retention points" used to get deals from DirecTV, but that's sometimes a bit of an unknown.

The 'other' thing to consider is the big unknown when it comes to what kind of deals D* may offer when the HDTiVo comes out. If you just signed up for the normal HD package, they may be less than willing to cut you a deal on the new TiVo. Of course, speculation abounds because there is no guarantee that D* will offer any discounts/offers with the unit (for the first months anyway). Something else to consider though....

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mr Pieces is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 10:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Pieces Visit Mr Pieces's homepage! Find more posts by Mr Pieces Add Mr Pieces to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr Pieces
TiVo Junkie

quote:
Originally posted by Gromit
I don't mind committing to the HD package, I was going to get that anyway (I'll want HD-ESPN for more than a year).

I've never taken advantage of any DirecTV deals in the past. I'm not sure if I've been with them for 2 years though. Some people are getting the $99 deal anyway, others are getting it for $200.

Apparently they even give you an OTA antenna, but it's a Winegard GS-1000. I don't think that's going to help me (UHF/VHF 0-25 miles). I wonder if you can pay more for a better antenna? I like the idea of an installer setting up my OTA stuff too.

D* Installed this Winegard antenna on my house and I am 25.7 miles form the tower and get a 88%-100% signal on ALL stations. It worked great for me.

(1) HR10-250 HD TiVo (63 Hours HD)
(2) DSR 6000 Philips DirecTivo's (both 86 Hours)
(1) HDVR2 DirecTiVo (105 Hours)

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 10:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

quote:
Originally posted by mtnbkr1
The 'other' thing to consider is the big unknown when it comes to what kind of deals D* may offer when the HDTiVo comes out.

I think that's what it's about for me too.... other than the minor problem that I've yet to committ to and purchase an HD TV.

But even though my 32" is barely 1 year old, I'm jones'n for HDTV. The only thing holding me back is waiting for the DirecTV HDTiVo.

Well, there is that other, GF thing...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kirkfrey is offline Old Post 01-20-2004 11:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kirkfrey Find more posts by kirkfrey Add kirkfrey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kirkfrey

do you have a link into the AVSForum or the thread title? I have been searching and have not come across the number yet?

found it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...ghlight=HDTV%20$99&pagenumber=4

Last edited by kirkfrey on 01-20-2004 at 11:42 PM

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 12:11 AM
Gromit

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Pieces
D* Installed this Winegard antenna on my house and I am 25.7 miles form the tower and get a 88%-100% signal on ALL stations. It worked great for me.

Wow. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I figured I was going to need a big, amplified antenna. All of the stations I'm interested in are 'blue' other than CBS which is 'violet' (according to antennaweb.org).

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 12:44 AM
Gromit

I'm on the phone with DirecTV now. No problems getting the $99 deal (2 years and 6 days, barely made it). They don't offer any kind of OTA antenna, but if I have an antenna I can probably get the install tech to put it up for me. They are recommending a Terk antenna and implied that this is what I would get if an antenna was included (apparently it is in some areas). I don't think I want to go with the Terk, so I need to find an antenna, preferrably in the Atlanta area so I can return it if I need to.

I also got Showtime free for 6 months. They're coming out on 1/26 to do the install (6 days).

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 12:51 AM
Gromit

Oh yeah, $445.15 charged to my credit card, $324.95 credited to my account.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 01:23 AM
Darin
Way Left

Where are you Gromit? I'm right above the "r" in "Inman Park" on this map of Atlanta DTV towers. Kind of a difficult spot, as the towers are all around me, yet antennaweb says I need a medium directional (presumably to fight multipath). I ended up getting the Winegard PR4400 for the UHF stations, and the Winegard PR7210 for VHF. The PR7210 was kinda pricey, but it seemed to be considered one of, if not the best VHF antennas for multipath issues. With Ch. 11 and Ch. 8 (10 and 12 digitally, respectively) both in the same direction from me, getting them via a good VHF antenna seemed like it should be quite easy (I'm ignoring the UHF portion of this antenna, and filtering it out via a VHF/UHF combiner). UHF I was much more concerned with, since those stations come from a wide range of angles all around me. The PR4400 seemed to have a good reception pattern for my use, and was quite a bit cheaper than the ChannelMaster equivalent (4228?).

Surprisingly, VHF has been very difficult for me. Of course, PBS here has been getting put off & put off, so I don't know yet how I'll do with Ch 8, but Ch. 11 (NBC) is barely watchable... with my signal bouncing between the 30s & 60s, so it pixelates quite a bit. I have my antenna on top of a 10' mast from the peak of my roof, pointed directly at Ch 11's tower (being only 1/4 mile away, all I have to do is get up there, look at the tower, and aim right for it). The UHF channels, however, are quite good. I have the PR4400 aimed directly north, and I get ALL the channels pegged at 100, EXCEPT for UPN, which is also only about 1/4 mile away, but behind me. That I don't get AT ALL. I also don't get PAX up near Acworth, or Rome, but not concerned about that.

If you are out in the burbs, it should be much easier, as they are all probably pretty much in the same direction.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 01:36 AM
Gromit

I should change my location in my profile. I'm actually in Kennesaw. I'm starting to realize that being outside the perimeter may be better. All of the towers I need to get are at 140-147 degrees, 25 miles away.

How does OTA HD signal strength compare to regular OTA signals? A friend of mine has an antenna in his attic from the days before you could get locals off the dish. He said he never was able to get good reception for normal OTA TV. I was hoping that HD is more of an "all or nothing" thing.

If I can find one locally, I may try to get a cheaper antenna that attaches to the dish somehow. I guess it couldn't hurt to try. I'm expecting the worst but Mr Pieces' post makes me wonder if I could get by with something smaller than a 4' antenna in my attic or on the roof.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 01:47 AM
Darin
Way Left

I only have it hooked up to my Saumsung SIR-T160 HD receiver. I don't know how good of an NTSC tuner that has, but I wouldn't consider ANY of my analog OTA channels to be "good", even though I'm quite close to most of those towers. I was actually quite surprised by this. MOST are watchable, but some aren't even that (I'd have to pay more attention to give you more detail... between getting them digitally, via DirecTV, AND via cable, it wasn't an issue to me). I'd be pretty skeptical of those dish mounted antennas. Especially since your dish is going to be pointing SW, while the Atlanta towers are mostly SE from you. I would think a decent combo UHF/VHF antenna, even if mounted in the attic, would perform much better. Radio Shack has a big selection, and you can even find a couple of models at Home Depot.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

steuert is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for steuert Find more posts by steuert Add steuert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steuert
TivoGeezer

I am tempted by this deal (in fact, I was tempted when it cost $399 - still several hundred dollars less than prevailing prices for HDTV receivers.)

However, remembering the difference DTiVo made in the quality of my "TV viewing experience," I really am not willing to go back to a TiVo-less existence, no matter how hi-def the picture might be.

It appears that the HDTiVos will be here in a matter of weeks. Initially they are supposed to cost $1000, but my guess is that by year end (if not sooner) they will be available for $500 or less, especially if DTV subsidizes them the way they do DTiVos. If that happened the HD receiver would head for the closet pretty fast.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 06:27 AM
Gromit

I have an HDTiVo pre-order in, this is just to "hold me" until it arrives.

Actually my plan is to sell this receiver once my HD TiVo arrives. By that time, I'll have everything wired and ready to go. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of the HD TiVo money back by selling this receiver for more than $100 on eBay.

Darin: Your situation has me worried. Most of my HD programming will be from the local channels. If I can't get a good HD picture from my locals, I'll probably sell all of this stuff and just go back to regular DirecTiVo.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged