TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Go ahead and get the $99 HD deal from DirecTV? <<<

Pages (9): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Darin is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 06:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

Well, like I said, it should be easier for you, since everything is in the same direction for you. Between the signals coming from all different directions, and all the things that cause multipath down here, I think the burbs can actually be much better from a reception perspective than living closer to the towers in town. A fairly simple, cheap, directional antenna, like this one, mounted in your attic, would probably do the job. You may want to check the AVS local reception forum, and search for other people in the atlanta area, and see how others are getting by.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 07:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

I'll check out the local reception forum and drop by Radio Shack one day this week. Thanks for the tips.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

EJ is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 08:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EJ Visit EJ's homepage! Find more posts by EJ Add EJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EJ

Would I have to keep the receiver subscribed for any period of time? I too am getting the HD tivo and would not want to keep the HD receiver hooked up much after I get that...

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 09:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

I don't think so... you have to keep the service for a year, but not the hardware.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit

Why doesn't DirecTV offer the east/west coast network feeds in HD? If they did that, I wouldn't have to worry about getting an antenna put up and dealing with any reception issues.

Plus, I'd keep my locals package so it would be more money for DirecTV. Surely my $5-$6 a month can cover the cost of switching the east/west feeds to HD?

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raul_Giacoman is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 09:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raul_Giacoman Find more posts by Raul_Giacoman Add Raul_Giacoman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raul_Giacoman

Local Antenna Install

I just signed up. The CSR told me that depending on where you live, they will install an antenna for you. The initial cost will be more, but the final cost will be $99.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 10:25 PM
Darin
Way Left

quote:
Originally posted by Gromit
Why doesn't DirecTV offer the east/west coast network feeds in HD?

Oh lord, you don't want to open up that debate. Check over at AVS forums or DBSforums, and you'll see what I mean.

Short answer: SHIVA regulations, local affiliate interests, and lack of local programming in HD (which WILL grow).

I feel quite certain local channels in HD via satellite IS coming, despite the skepticism by some. In a relatively large market like ours (#9), I'd be surprised if we didn't have it within two years.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 11:38 PM
Gromit

quote:
Originally posted by Darin
I feel quite certain local channels in HD via satellite IS coming, despite the skepticism by some. In a relatively large market like ours (#9), I'd be surprised if we didn't have it within two years.

Since I'm going to buy and install an OTA antenna next week, expect a major announcement regarding HD Atlanta locals on DirecTV sometime in early February.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raul_Giacoman is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 11:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raul_Giacoman Find more posts by Raul_Giacoman Add Raul_Giacoman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raul_Giacoman

Does anybody know the brand and model number of the hd satellite receiver that directv will give you with this $99 deal?

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 12:01 AM
Darin
Way Left

It's either a Samsung SIR-T160 (that's what I got), or a Hughes. The Hughes used to be the E86, but I think there's a newer model now.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgdiablo is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jgdiablo Find more posts by jgdiablo Add jgdiablo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jgdiablo

Receiver

The other being Hughes HTL-HD...that's what I got.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Wilhite is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Wilhite Find more posts by Wilhite Add Wilhite to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wilhite
no stinkin' title...

Re: Go ahead and get the $99 HD deal from DirecTV?

quote:
Originally posted by Gromit
I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try to get the $99 HD deal from DirecTV.

Gosh, I wish that I could get this deal. I gave them a call. Since I'm only a DTV subscriber since November of 2003, I couldn't "feel the joy".

I would love to have a HD receiver for $100. It would be great to be able to watch sports in HD. I'm already wired and ready - courtesy of my cable company. I could drop that sucker into my bedroom or living room and watch the SuperBowl in all it's high definition glory!

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 09:15 AM
Gromit

My dish and receiver arrived today. I got the Samsung (which is $600 at Best Buy right now BTW). I was hoping I could experiment with OTA antennas this weekend but you can't do anything with the receiver until it gets a signal from the satellites. I guess DirecTV doesn't want to practically give away HD receivers just so people can use them as OTA-only receivers.

Hopefully I'll have HD DirecTV (and possibly OTA) by lunchtime Monday.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 10:27 AM
Darin
Way Left

No, you can, it's just not immediately obvious. You have to go in to the dish configuration, and scroll through the options until you get to "no dish".

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 10:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

Yes, the Hughes model is the new HTL-HD.....Native pass through baby! I don't believe the Samsung supports this.

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 10:53 AM
Darin
Way Left

No, the Samsung is actually a physical switch on the back of the unit. You pick the output resolution, and it stays there until you switch it.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 08:20 PM
Gromit

quote:
Originally posted by Darin
No, you can, it's just not immediately obvious. You have to go in to the dish configuration, and scroll through the options until you get to "no dish".

Aha! I found it. Thanks. I'm going to go out today and see if I can find an antenna. I'm hoping Lowes will have a Channel Master, but I'm probably going to have to order it.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 03:14 AM
Gromit

I bought 3 antennas today, just to experiment. 2 from Radio Shack and a Channel Master 3018 at Lowe's (along with a 3041 amp). The first antenna I tried is a Radio Shack 15-2185 (looks kinda like a stealth bomber). It's an amplified antenna. I pretty much just threw it in the the attic, turning it until my wife said that ABC was coming in.

I'm getting ABC the easiest (79%). FOX Digital was coming in at 93% until I rotated the antenna and lost it, but I gained WTBS-HD (sorta, it comes and goes). UPN is also coming in great.

Considering that I didn't have much hope for this antenna in the first place (it doesn't even have a CEA rating), I'm pretty optimisitic. I may try the Channel Master antenna, but I'm thinking/hoping that if I get a 4228 and an amp, I'll be fine.

BTW, the picture is incredible. Even SD channels look better than DirecTV locals (although not much better). Digital channels look much better though. My receiver says that the ABC signal is 720p, but I'm pretty sure it's not a true HD broadcast (the winter X Games and Golf). A friend came over and I started by showing him golf via the digital ABC broadcast. Nice, but he didn't have to pick his jaw up off the floor. Until we switched over to DirecTV's broadcast. "THAT'S what we've been watching?" was his first response. When you switch back and forth the digital OTA broadcast looks so much better.

Edit: I moved the 'stealth bomber' antenna outside. It's sitting on 2 plant pots, about 18" off the ground. I'm getting everything. ABC, NBC, CBS, TBS, UPN, and WB.

Isn't it kind of pointless to drag out the other two behemoth antennas? Isn't most of their size dedicated to VHF, which I don't even need (only NBC is VHF at 10).

Last edited by Gromit on 01-25-2004 at 04:35 AM

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 04:45 AM
Darin
Way Left

Great! If you get everything you need with the small antenna, probably no sense in bothering with the others. As long as you've got a good enough signal to have a consistent picture with no drops, that's all that matters.

You've inspired me to tinker with mine some more, and I've finally gotten NBC working reliably. I decided to see if it was possibly getting TOO much signal, and overloading the tuner. So I pulled the cable out of the back of the receiver, and sure enough, the signal meter jumped up from something in the 30s to over 60, and a stable picture. So I rumaged around and found a cable splitter, and put that in line with the incoming cable feed. Now I have a solid 93% on NBC! Still no hint of a signal for UPN though, nada. But that one is basically trying to come in to my antenna from behind, so it may be hopeless (not that there's anything worth seeing on UPN anyway). While I was getting a solid 100% on all my other channels, some of them have dropped down to 93% since adding the splitter, but of course that doesn't affect anything. I'm fairly happy... I'm getting everything in Atlanta with 93% or better, except UPN and PAX, which I don't get at all.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 06:30 AM
Gromit

Cool! If there's something you can't get, at least it's UPN and PAX. I was afraid I'd get everything except one of the major networks, which would bother me to no end (especially NBC, I'm looking forward to HD ER).

I'm getting 36% on CBS, but the picture is great with no dropouts. I just need to figure out how to mount this antenna outside. Maybe I'll try to work with the dish mast.

I know Terk is pretty bad, but those antennas that clip on to the dish are very pleasing to the eye. I wonder if it's worth trying one of those since I'm doing so well if I stay outside of the house? I saw a Philips version at Lowe's today, but it may be the Terk rebranded (like Radio Shack's).

I should probably post this at AVS, but I'm a bit confused about widescreen. My TV is 4:3, but with the DVI connection it forces to a 16:9 mode (technically a 'squeeze' I suppose). So I can't change the TV from 16:9 to 4:3. The receiver however, lets me choose. What's weird is that digital channels (except for Fox) are not widescreen, but a lot of the analog versions are (NBC, WTBS, etc). Why is that? Am I missing something? According to titantv.com, "Billy Graham" and the Thrashers game are both HD broadcasts that are on right now. I assumed that would mean widescreen in 16:9 mode, but neither are.

One good sign: my wife can't stand the "smaller picture". I think that's my ticket a bigger 16:9 set!

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged