TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Go ahead and get the $99 HD deal from DirecTV? <<<

Pages (9): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
vysean is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 01:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vysean Find more posts by vysean Add vysean to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vysean

figured i'd post my "success story" too...

called DTV Friday, asked for retention CSR as first rep had no idea about $99 HD deal. Retention rep said "ok" right away, and went through setting it all up. Asked if I wanted the OTA antenna as well, I said sure. Starting to think this is going well. She schedules the install and tells me that the OTA antenna won't cost me anything else - it's included in the $99 promo. I wasn't expecting that - everyone else here has reported that it cost $50 more.

Anyway, she said I had to commit to HD programming, and I asked her if that was true - others here had reported that they did not have to sign up for that. And I don't have an HDTV, so it seems kind of pointless. She checked with a supervisor and said I would have to sign up for HDTV programming. Okay, so I ask if she can give me the $31.99 TotalChoicePlus package with locals. She says sure. So I'm paying like an extra three dollars a month over what I'd normally pay. No big deal.

I asked about broadcast waivers, as I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere (Dewey Arizona, population 4000, cow population 5000)... she says i'm pre-approved for ABC, CBS, and FOX, so she went ahead and put in the request for NBC. Plus, I can get local channels via Phoenix, so I've got three Simpsons episodes every night (yay!).

The best part happened today - I went to Home Depot to buy some things, and my credit card was declined. Okay, went to dinner, same thing. Now I just got paid Friday, so something's gotta be up. Check my balance and there's plenty in there. Long story short, DTV double-billed me ($491x2). That hurt. I was locked out of the ATM or any purchasing activity on that card (my only credit/debit card). So I called and complained and they offered Showtime free for six months. I told them I didn't watch Showtime and didn't have any plans to start. So he offers HBO. Said no thanks, how about a free DirecTivo. So now I have a DirecTivo being installed this Saturday along with the HDTV receiver and dish.

I'm once again a very happy DTV customer - but not able to use my credit card or ATM for 24 hours...

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 01:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

If it's not filling the width, then it's not widescreen, and the programming is not true HD (though the signal may be). Many of the channels here broadcast two digital stations, one HD, and another subchannel that is SD. If you are tuned to the SD channel, the stretch modes of the receiver should kick in (if you have them turned on), but if it's the HD feed, I believe you are stuck with the format as it is. It's actually very confusing, because SOME of the channels are on "virtual" channel numbers (like 5 is 5-1), but some of them show up on their digital channel (46 is on digital 19). To make matters worse, once you hook the dish up, DirecTV downloads information that changes SOME of them, but not all (IIRC, ch. 2 digital comes across on ch. 43, but after you hook up the dish, the directv data remaps it to 2-1). But they don't remap ALL of them. I have the receiver set to show gray panels on SD material, that makes it easy to know when you are on the SD channel. If it's a 4x3 picture inside a 16x9 feed, you will have black bars, and are watching the HD feed. If there are gray panels, they were added by the receiver, and you are tuned to the SD feed.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Darin
If it's not filling the width, then it's not widescreen, and the programming is not true HD (though the signal may be)
Extremely important point, many times stations are broadcasting 4:3 content but sending the vertical black bars with it so in reality they're broadcasting a 16:9 window with 4:3 content in the middle.

quote:
Many of the channels here broadcast two digital stations, one HD, and another subchannel that is SD. If you are tuned to the SD channel, the stretch modes of the receiver should kick in (if you have them turned on), but if it's the HD feed, I believe you are stuck with the format as it is.
Your control of this is limited on your tv but via some HD receivers you can adjust the stretch mode via the receiver (on the Hughes HTL-HD, use the 'Ratio' button on the remote when viewing 16:9 to adjust stretch mode.

This suggestion can be useful for instance when tuning into DirecTV's HD feed of ESPN which is almost always 4:3 content broadcast as 16:9, except guess what ESPN doesn't send the vertical black bars. Anyway, since it's flagged as 16:9 your receiver and your tv think it really is a 16:9 aspect ratio feed. Here again, use the 'Ratio' button on your HD receiver or similar function to access the stretch modes.

The reason it annoys me so much that ESPN sends the signal that way is that, using a TV's stretch modes often maintains a relatively normal ratio towards the middle of the screen while stretching the sides more, thereby limiting the degree to which the image needs to be vertically cropped as well. However, when ESPN is sent as 16:9, I lose access to my TV's stretch modes because it's thinking that I have no reason to access them, when in reality I do need to.

Feel like I'm talking in circles here, but trust me it all really does make sense...to Darin's point, it's confusing. nuff said.

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WMeda is offline Old Post 02-03-2004 03:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for WMeda Find more posts by WMeda Add WMeda to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WMeda

Contacted DTV today to try to take advantage of the $99 deal that has gotten a lot of play on this site and the CSR seemed to know nothing about it. The $399 deal she was well versed in.

It amazes me how often I read about things on this forum that the CSR's at DirecTV have no knowledge of.

Does anyone have any advice for getting the $99 deal?

Is there a promo code or a specific CSR that I can ask for (that someone has already had success with) who will know what the heck I'm talking about.

This can be extrememly frustrating.

Thanks.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 02-03-2004 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

The key is 2+ years with DirecTV and playing the CSR roulette game (calling enough to get someone who knows).

Hong.

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BGLeduc is offline Old Post 02-03-2004 05:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BGLeduc Find more posts by BGLeduc Add BGLeduc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGLeduc

I addition to the qualifying years of service, and good payment history, you just need to be prepared to call several times.

Took me three calls within 30 minutes to get someone that had a clue. And you also want to use the customer retention number (don't have it here, but surely its been posted).

My 1st CSR would only offer $199. #2 said no such deal at all; go buy an HD box retail. And I asked both to run this by a supervisor. Still, no joy.

Finally, when #3 picked up, they had my account flagged already. She said, yes there is such a deal, apologized profusely for the 3 previous CSR's lack of knowledge, and did the deal.

So, assuming you meet the requirements, just be persistent, and keep on calling!

FWIW, my deal was $399 paid for up front, and a $300 service credit. I had to eat shipping and tax (about $48). I think I could have bargained for that too, but was happy with the deal.

BTW, my new favorite networks are HD Net and HD Net movies, with Discovery HD a closes tie for 2nd. And the OTA performance of the Sammy 160 is solid in my city (Albuquerque). No bugs found yet either, which is a relief.

BGL

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

disneyfun1 is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 01:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for disneyfun1 Find more posts by disneyfun1 Add disneyfun1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
disneyfun1

got my deal today!

Thanks for all this info on the boards here!! I was debating on buying the tv and hdtv system for $399, but when i read this, i went out today and got the tv and the deal!! I bought a 48" mitsubishi ws-48413, silver plus series. list is 1899, but frys electronics had it for 1499. I argued with ultimate electronics on price and they took 10% off that price, so i got it for 1349. It will be delivered on sat since they are coming in on friday. I called d* and asked for retention dept for hdtv, he immediately put me through. I asked about the deal, she said let me look at your account, which is 8 years old and i spend about $100/month and said no problem. I got the ota anntenna, even though i have one on the roof i dont use or have hooked up, cost $449, plus 14.95 handling and 37.58 tax= 501.53. My bill was due as well, but they put the credit on immedately and i have not been charged the 99 on my account as of yet, but my bill is paid and in advance now. cant wait to get it set up. install is set for monday morning 8-12 am. thanks for the info!!

update: just called back to retention dept to ask again about the $20 showtime discount again. Was told there is no showtime discount, but they could discount me $20 a month for 6 months for the total choice package(works the same for me!!) i tried to inquire about getting a free tivo, but was told they are $99.

Last edited by disneyfun1 on 02-18-2004 at 03:16 AM

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iNerd is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 04:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iNerd Visit iNerd's homepage! Find more posts by iNerd Add iNerd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iNerd
HDTV Complainer

I just

Holy friggin crap again!!! I just called in and they gave me the deal, I swear tears were coming out of my eyes.

Thank you guys once again!!!!!

Denon 3801 Receiver
Remote: Harmony SST-659 (yes I tried the MX-700!)

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

oldskoolboarder is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 06:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for oldskoolboarder Find more posts by oldskoolboarder Add oldskoolboarder to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldskoolboarder

Re: got my deal today!

quote:
Originally posted by disneyfun1
...I got the ota anntenna, even though i have one on the roof i dont use or have hooked up, cost $449, plus 14.95 handling and 37.58 tax= 501.53.

What OTA antenna?

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 07:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

Mine just showed up today:

Wistron Multi Satellite Dish & Samsung SIR-TS360 Receiver

Price: $453
Credit to my DirectTV bill: $354

Total Price (including tax and shipping): $99

Thanks guys!

It was EASY.

Call 1-800-600-8977

That is a Direct Number to customer retention. I am also doing the moving program. They got my install set up on the new move, and also gave me the $99 deal on the HDTV receiver/dish (They told me $199, then when I mentioned the $99 deal I heard about, they checked and said, "No problem")

Since they shipped the dish and receiver to my current address, and I have installation set up on March 2nd at the new house for the movers program, my guess is that I will end up with an extra dish too!

As far as the OTA antenna, I have seen some people mention it, but I forgot to ask them about it. I did not get one. I may call them back tomorrow and ask about it.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

candlerman is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 07:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for candlerman Find more posts by candlerman Add candlerman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
candlerman

Hey people, great site!

I was wondering, can you get this deal if you are a pegasus suscriber? I was a directv customer for five years and now unfortunately have been an unhappy pegasus susccriber for two. Anyone know if this is possible?
Thanks

Also, if I am not able to get this through directv (because I live in pegasus he**) Do you think I could get a friend who lives in the directv market to buy one and then I use it? I wouldn't get the free installation but maybe get the receiver and the dish for 99.00. What do you think?

Last edited by candlerman on 02-18-2004 at 08:08 AM

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Re: got my deal today!

quote:
Originally posted by oldskoolboarder
What OTA antenna?

I'm not sure why, but some people are getting an OTA antenna as part of the deal too. I didn't get an antenna from DirecTV though.

unixadm: If it's a geography based thing (at least at the city level), you may be out of luck too. I'm in the Atlanta area and they told me I didn't get the OTA antenna. I don't think it's a great antenna anyway. Maybe they only include it if they know you're gonna get great digital reception. If that's the case, I guess they don't want to support OTA reception issues.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NJChris is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 10:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NJChris Find more posts by NJChris Add NJChris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NJChris
Moogs!

Hey all.. can you decline the professional install? I want to do it myself (did my friend's last year).

"....we are all bound to each other by our common humanity despite our many personal differences; that it is our failure to understand and respect those differences that causes most of life's pain and suffering" -Agnes Nixon

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vplaza is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 10:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vplaza Find more posts by vplaza Add vplaza to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vplaza

Receiver Shipped?

I signed up for the HDTV Tivo deal. I recevied the dish by FEDEX but I haven't received the recevier. Do you know if the technician comes out with that or is sent by FEDEX also?

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 11:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

FedEx delivered both the receiver and the dish to me yesterday. you may want to call the retention center and check on it.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vplaza is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 01:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vplaza Find more posts by vplaza Add vplaza to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vplaza

Will do, thanks. By the way, since I haven't been a Directv subscriber for two years (1 1/2), they gave me a $200 credit instead of the $300.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tarheelfan is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tarheelfan Find more posts by Tarheelfan Add Tarheelfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tarheelfan

Does the $ 99 retention deal also apply to current DTV users that already have HDDTV and meet the other criteria?

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DenverSteve is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 08:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DenverSteve Find more posts by DenverSteve Add DenverSteve to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DenverSteve

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm
Mine just showed up today:

Wistron Multi Satellite Dish & Samsung SIR-TS360 Receiver

Price: $453
Credit to my DirectTV bill: $354

Total Price (including tax and shipping): $99

Thanks guys!

It was EASY.

Call 1-800-600-8977

That is a Direct Number to customer retention. I am also doing the moving program. They got my install set up on the new move, and also gave me the $99 deal on the HDTV receiver/dish (They told me $199, then when I mentioned the $99 deal I heard about, they checked and said, "No problem")

Thanks for the info - just did it and it was easy. Gave me the $99 without any hassle. Anyone want to buy a Zenith 420 OTA HD Receiver? It's headed for eBay I guess.

Pioneer 563A DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio Player
Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD Recorder
Sony STR935 Receiver
Sony CDP-CX450 CD Changer
Sony RMVL900 Remote to control it all!

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

oldskoolboarder is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for oldskoolboarder Find more posts by oldskoolboarder Add oldskoolboarder to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldskoolboarder

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm
FedEx delivered both the receiver and the dish to me yesterday. you may want to call the retention center and check on it.

What cables come w/ the receiver? I haven't made my bluejeans run yet, so hoping that I can use whatever cables are in the box, including the DVI.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NJChris is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 01:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NJChris Find more posts by NJChris Add NJChris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NJChris
Moogs!

quote:
Originally posted by NJChris
Hey all.. can you decline the professional install? I want to do it myself (did my friend's last year).

Anyone?................ Anyone?

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged