TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Go ahead and get the $99 HD deal from DirecTV? <<<

Pages (9): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
llogan is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 01:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

yes you can decline it. Call 1-800-DirecTV and follow the voice prompts to 'installation'. Once you get a live voice you can tell them to cancel it. Now I never cancel, even if I'm going to do it myself, because....
when the guy shows up, I tell him, listen you can be out of here in 5 minutes if you like, I've already installed it but in return can you shoot me a multiswitch, some cable, and some extra connectors. I've secured lots of extra stuff that I need this way. It lets me control the quality of my install while allowing me to 'refresh' my stock of other stuff that I need.

Now this is probably not as important to you as installations are something I do on the side. In addition, I'm always running new wire at either of my two houses so I always need more stuff. But if that's your thing, it's a great way to get some extra equipment. Almost every guy I've ever had come out has been so thrilled to have me sign the work order and let him get home early that they're pretty agreeable. I've probably secured about $1000 worth of stuff this way, but that's because I've bought a buttload of receivers (probably 30+) over the last 4+ years.

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

Last edited by llogan on 02-21-2004 at 03:02 AM

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Deezul is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deezul Find more posts by Deezul Add Deezul to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deezul

The old switcheroo possible?

I just signed up with D* a few weeks ago, but my sister has had them for a few years. Any chance I can have her call up and get the $99 receiver, she give it to me, and I use it? The only way I know this would work is if she can convince them that she doesn't have an HD TV so she doesn't want the service. Then I'd get the receiver and call and sign up for a year's worth. Any thoughts?

Deezul

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

oldskoolboarder is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 05:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for oldskoolboarder Find more posts by oldskoolboarder Add oldskoolboarder to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldskoolboarder

Re: The old switcheroo possible?

quote:
Originally posted by Deezul
I just signed up with D* a few weeks ago, but my sister has had them for a few years. Any chance I can have her call up and get the $99 receiver, she give it to me, and I use it? The only way I know this would work is if she can convince them that she doesn't have an HD TV so she doesn't want the service. Then I'd get the receiver and call and sign up for a year's worth. Any thoughts?

Deezul

Don't think that'll work. If an installer comes, you have to indicate to DirecTV that you do have a HDTV-capable monitor.

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BillF is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 07:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BillF Find more posts by BillF Add BillF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BillF
Old Member

quote:
Originally posted by unixadm
Mine just showed up today:

Wistron Multi Satellite Dish & Samsung SIR-TS360 Receiver

Price: $453
Credit to my DirectTV bill: $354

Total Price (including tax and shipping): $99

Thanks guys!

It was EASY.

Call 1-800-600-8977

That is a Direct Number to customer retention. I am also doing the moving program. They got my install set up on the new move, and also gave me the $99 deal on the HDTV receiver/dish (They told me $199, then when I mentioned the $99 deal I heard about, they checked and said, "No problem")

Since they shipped the dish and receiver to my current address, and I have installation set up on March 2nd at the new house for the movers program, my guess is that I will end up with an extra dish too!

As far as the OTA antenna, I have seen some people mention it, but I forgot to ask them about it. I did not get one. I may call them back tomorrow and ask about it.

Thanks for the number unixadm. I just ordered without the CSR roulette or any hassle. The antenna offer is only for selected areas while they run a test to see if it works out. Unfortunately, I'm about 10 miles out of that area here in Florida. But I was getting antzy waiting for the HDTivo and this will give me a cheap solution to the lack of HDTV in the meantime.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

haggis444 is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 08:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for haggis444 Find more posts by haggis444 Add haggis444 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
haggis444
Master of my domain

OK, got it. Called the retention # (1-800-600-8977), they said you have to meet 2 conditions:

1) Customer for three years (I saw some posts that said 2, so maybe this guy was mistaken)

2) Good payment history.

What's funny is before I saw this I called and got the free SAT-C upgrade kit for my oval dish, so I can immediately sell the new oval dish I get. I preordered the HD Tivo, so I'll just sell this receiver once that arrives. Also, don't laugh, but I bought a Terk TV-44 (before I read this forum and everyone said to stay away), and I have had great luck with it. I am 1/2 between Cinci and Dayton and get all of the HD stations from both locations. Thanks for the tip everyone!

Onkyo TX-SR601, TX-SR800
Sony 32WD510, 57WS500
Antennacraft CS600 (VHF) in attic
Channel Master 4221A (UHF) in attic
Channel Master 7777 Pre-amp

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chaddy23 is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chaddy23 Find more posts by chaddy23 Add chaddy23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaddy23

Re: Receiver Shipped?

quote:
Originally posted by vplaza
I signed up for the HDTV Tivo deal. I recevied the dish by FEDEX but I haven't received the recevier. Do you know if the technician comes out with that or is sent by FEDEX also?

Same with me. I got the dish yesterday. No receiver. Called customer service and got a second tracking number. Receiver will be here today.

FWIW - I am not a 2-yr customer either (about 1 1/2 yrs) and got the $99 deal without any bickering or talk of other companies' deals. Just asked about a $99 deal I heard about and asked if I qualified. Took about 2 minutes.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NJChris is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 01:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NJChris Find more posts by NJChris Add NJChris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NJChris
Moogs!

quote:
Originally posted by llogan
yes you can decline it. Call 1-800-DirecTV and follow the voice prompts to 'installation'. Once you get a live voice you can tell them to cancel it.

Hey I just did the deal for $99. Woo hoo. I asked the guy if I could not have the install done and he said they have to have it done by a tech.

So I guess I'll have to try to call like you said above? If all else fails I'll tell the installer to go home when he arrives.

And how long does the credit show up on the account activity on the directv site?

Last edited by NJChris on 02-21-2004 at 02:16 AM

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 03:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by NJChris
And how long does the credit show up on the account activity on the directv site?

Are you wondering how long before the credit shows up at directv.com? I'm not sure, but I think their account system is tied directly to the account info online so it should be pretty quick.

I got my first "0.00" bill from DirecTV yesterday.

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SactoRob is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 07:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SactoRob Find more posts by SactoRob Add SactoRob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SactoRob

Unlike a lot of you I have only one TV and one DirecTV TiVo. The TV is an HDTV capable Sony Wega. If I can get the $99 deal and I hook up the TiVo and the HDTV unit to the same TV will I be billed the monthly fee for the both receivers? I'd love the new HDTV TiVo unit but I haven't that kind of money. I also can't see giving up my old TiVo. Thanks to all of you posters. The FAQ sections are great.

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 08:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

Yes, you will be charged a mirroring fee for the extra receiver. But you will not get charged twice for having a DVR.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SactoRob is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 08:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SactoRob Find more posts by SactoRob Add SactoRob to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SactoRob

Thanks. Now I've got to convince the powers that be that I am worthy of the $99 offer.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bellbm is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 09:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bellbm Find more posts by bellbm Add bellbm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bellbm

I've been reading this thread, I have a few questions hopefully can be cleared up here.
I'm looking for a new tv, my budget either lets me buy a 16x9 30 inch HD Ready, or a 32 inch 4x3 HD ready. I figure with the differences in aspect viewing, they're about the same.

Now, I have Directivo, and would want to wait for that. But my understanding is that if I buy the 32 in 4x3, it won't display a 4x3 HD signal, so unless the HD program is in 16x9 format, I will get a 4x3 HD picture within my larger 4x3 picture, correct?

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 09:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

For true 4x3 programs.

- 16x9 30 in. would show it in the same size as 4x3 24.5 in would.
- 4x3 32 in. would show it as 4x3 32 in.

For true 16x3 programs,

- 16x9 30 in. would show it as 16x9 32 in.
- 4x3 32 in. would show it in the same size as 16x9 29.4 in.

For fake 4x3 (that is, with black side bars)

- 4x3 32 in. would show it in the same size as 4x3 24 in. would.

Does this make your decision easier?

Hong.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bellbm is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 09:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bellbm Find more posts by bellbm Add bellbm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bellbm

quote:
Originally posted by hongcho
For true 4x3 programs.

- 4x3 32 in. would show it as 4x3 32 in.

For true 16x3 programs,

- 16x9 30 in. would show it as 16x9 32 in.
- 4x3 32 in. would show it in the same size as 16x9 29.4 in.

For fake 4x3 (that is, with black side bars)

- 4x3 32 in. would show it in the same size as 4x3 24 in. would.

Does this make your decision easier?

Hong.

It does clear things up a bit, my question then, is if I am using HD DirecTivo, or say even just a HD Direct TV box, which it seems I can get for $99 and get all of my locals, is there a way I will be able to take a "fake 4x3" HD and use the entire screen on my 4x3 32 in. tv?

Also, I live about 2 miles from the sears tower in Chicago, does anyone know if rabbit ears will be enough to receive the chicago HD channels?

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

> is there a way I will be able to take a "fake 4x3" HD and use the entire screen on my 4x3 32 in. tv?

It mostly depends whether your HD DirecTV STB can change the output to 480i (or "true" 4x3). Otherwise, it won't work. HD DirecTivo does allow changing format, though.

Hong.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bcushman is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bcushman Find more posts by bcushman Add bcushman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bcushman

quote:
Originally posted by SactoRob
Unlike a lot of you I have only one TV and one DirecTV TiVo. The TV is an HDTV capable Sony Wega. If I can get the $99 deal and I hook up the TiVo and the HDTV unit to the same TV will I be billed the monthly fee for the both receivers? I'd love the new HDTV TiVo unit but I haven't that kind of money. I also can't see giving up my old TiVo. Thanks to all of you posters. The FAQ sections are great.

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but how would I hook up my DirecTV Tivo and a HDTV unit to my TV?

Outlaw 1050
Mitsubishi 55 inch TV
Harmony 659 & 680
Channel Master 4228

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SactoRob is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 03:55 AM
SactoRob

I am worthy. Got the $99 offer with 6 months of Showtime too. Thank you all for your help it only took two calls. bcushman if you look at the FAQ's for this forum that Feldon has put up it will show the answer to your question.

Last edited by SactoRob on 02-22-2004 at 04:00 AM

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 02-22-2004 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by bcushman
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but how would I hook up my DirecTV Tivo and a HDTV unit to my TV?

Well that would depend what kind of inputs your TV has...

If you're TV is 'HD ready' then you likely have a set of component (Y, Pb, Pr) inputs on the back and you could use those for the HDTV unit. You could use S-video, composite or the RF input for the DirecTivo.

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DenverSteve is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 09:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DenverSteve Find more posts by DenverSteve Add DenverSteve to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DenverSteve

Got my Samsung TS360 today (ordered last Wednesday night) and it's up and running. Activated painlessly over the web but I had to call to get the CBS-HD West feed turned on. Unit works well - over the air reception is good. Already had a 3 LNB dish. Just need the installer to set me up with a 5x8 multiswitch when he gets here Saturday.

By the way, the unit comes with Component Video, S video, Composite video/stereo, and DVI cables.

My only complaint is that the manual doesn't match the remote that came with the unit for some reason.

Pioneer 563A DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio Player
Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD Recorder
Sony STR935 Receiver
Sony CDP-CX450 CD Changer
Sony RMVL900 Remote to control it all!

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NJChris is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 08:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NJChris Find more posts by NJChris Add NJChris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NJChris
Moogs!

Got mine Fedex yesterday.

I have a question when I'm setting it up. My "previous" setup was a regular oval dish that it's two outputs when to a non-powered multiswitch so I could feed my Dtivos.

If I hooked up the TS360 to the multi-switch will it not correctly switch or send the signal to the oval-3 dish to tell it to switch to the 110 or 119 satellite? I thought I read that you need a certain type of multi-switch if I wanted to do this. Is that correct?

THANKS!

-Chris

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged