TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Can we use Music stored on a server that does not run Tivo software ? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
avillait is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 05:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for avillait Find more posts by avillait Add avillait to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avillait

Can we use Music stored on a server that does not run Tivo software ?

Hi,

Since I do not keep my computer running all the time, it would be good to have TIVO use Music files or Photographs from a FTP server that my ISP provides.

Is this possible or in plan ?

-Anil

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 08:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

No, HMO requires the TiVo software. It communicates with the software, not with the server.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cbordman is offline Old Post 01-21-2004 08:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cbordman Find more posts by cbordman Add cbordman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cbordman
Turn your key!!

if your ISP will let you run CGI/Perl scripts, then it could work.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Timber is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 04:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Timber Find more posts by Timber Add Timber to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Timber

Media Center (http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/) will also serve MP3's but you do need an application running on the PC with the MP3s.

-=Tim=-

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avillait is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 05:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for avillait Find more posts by avillait Add avillait to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avillait

So it appears that it is not possible to keep your music on a server that does not run some proprietary software.

In the future with most of our files going online, it would be a good feature to be able to access the files using FTP or HTTP.

I guess I will not purchase HMO. It seems pretty expensive to have to keep a particular computer dedicated and up all the time just to listen to music when the same is already available online at my ISP.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 07:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

How much music do you have online at your ISP? (They must have great prices on disk storage.) Do you normally listen to music on your computer by streaming it from your ISP?

(Sorry, I've just never heard of doing this!)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 08:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

Well, you could extend the metaphor even further and say that we want to ba able to access internet radio directly over the web without having a computer in between. There are several options out there now that will do this. That probably has more impact than FTP in my opinion.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 10:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap

Yes, I can definitely see the Internet Radio advantages. I do that now through HMO, and it does have to go through the PC. Of course, the PC is doing some work that the Tivo can't presently handle, and I don't know how difficult it would be to place those functions on board the Tivo.

The idea of storing large amounts of music data on an ISP's server just astounds me, however. While I have several hundred MBs of space at my ISP, it costs me a freaking fortune, and I'm not about to put MP3s up there. I can't imagine transferring MP3s that I want to hear in my home to a remote location ... so I can hear them in my home. Hundreds of GBs on my local PC cost a tiny, tiny fraction of online storage costs ... plus doing it that way doesn't involve the Rube Goldberg-like inefficiency.

BTW, do people really turn their PCs off? I hope they're not doing it every day.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avillait is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 01:17 PM
avillait

The question is not how much my ISP charges but the fact that all the TIVO needs to do is access JPG and MP3 files for which it does not need any software to be installed on every computer (polluting the environment).

Instead of an ISP, imagine a Network attached storage (NAS) device that does not run either windows/unix nor does it allow you to install any software. But just provides a large file system where you can store your JPG/MP3 files.

I prefer streaming this data to my 3 machines at home, 2 at work or across the world to my parents all from one collection of files which may include video clips that I make in future with my digicam.

The issue is that since Tivo is already based on OpenSource Linux, why would developers go to such extent to invent new programs that limit them to a few platforms when they could just as well have used FTP/HTTP for simple file access.

The same argument applies to TIVO's use of the USB 1.1 interface which seems to be totally unnecessary considering the fact that the Linux stack supports Ethernet/IP. Now we have to go an extra hop to jump from USB to Ethernet to connect to ANY network. Had they just supplied an ethernet interface, they would not have to deal with issues with different wireless/wired adaptors and other supportability issues.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HDTiVo is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HDTiVo Find more posts by HDTiVo Add HDTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

>same argument applies to TIVO's use of the USB 1.1 interface

Not only that, but considering that 2.0 was standard and didn't cost more at the time of the product development, how could they have been so foolish to ship the first series 2s with 1.1?????

I don't have ANY of the problems mentioned in this Forum.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

themoviebuff is offline Old Post 01-22-2004 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for themoviebuff Visit themoviebuff's homepage! Find more posts by themoviebuff Add themoviebuff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
themoviebuff
Gimme My HDTiVo NOW!

uhm, okay

Well maybe you have enough money or resources to host several Gb of mp3s on a hosted server, or maybe you are not concerned over the RIAA lawsuit, however many people can not afford (or understand ftp well enough for that matter) to do things as you suggest. I think TiVo is simply going for the biggest audience. Why would TiVo make the assumption that in addition to the monthly (or lifetime) subscription cost and the initial equipment cost they should also host their mp3s elsewhere? I understand that you probably mean that you would like support for this and not that everyone should do it this way, but really, how many people would do it your way? For the cost of hosting such a server for a year you could buy a dedicated machine and just leave it running or buy a second hard drive for your existing pc and serve them up from there. Tivo can also hardly openly show support for file sharing considering the RIAA lawsuit. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by themoviebuff on 01-23-2004 at 09:53 PM

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 01-23-2004 09:32 AM
Austin Bike

Good point.

I'd rather add a second HD to Tivo and use that to host my music since it's always on anyway.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avillait is offline Old Post 01-23-2004 10:51 PM
avillait

I don't think you folks get the point.

It is not an issue of where to host your music or whatever it is that you want to view/hear. The point is do you want to host the same music files on your PC at home, desktop at work, laptop on the move, iPod in the car or on Tivo's second disk as someone suggested or your ISP.

The fact remains that if you want to manage the various locations for your music lists, it seems very foolish specially since Tivo relies on open-source software.

By allowing your music to be accessible from Tivo using FTP/HTTP you could just specify a web address to get the stuff and then you can use that same music on your MP3 phone as well. Do you plan on carrying a 2GB for your phone ? With broadband and HMO it is easy for TIVO to stream that music from anywhere. Why does it have to be a local PC.

Also there are sites that give me live radio and music which I can stream directly if the HTTP option were available instead.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 01-23-2004 11:22 PM
kitsap

Dude, it's a Home Media Option.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avillait is offline Old Post 01-23-2004 11:37 PM
avillait

Dude, you just don't get it.

It is the Home Media Option but where is the Option ?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 12:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by avillait
Dude, you just don't get it.

It is the Home Media Option but where is the Option ?

TiVo has made the strategic decision to keep options to a minimum. Mostly this is so the remote/menu functionality is clear cut one click stuff.

This limited them on how they could approach streaming. If they went down your path of FTP/HTTP - then it would work at the level of letting you store media whereever and simply but you would have no other options unless supplied by TiVo on the software in their box -- thus TiVo would have to write in the software to pull in and parse various playlists, add in shuffle play, etc.. It would limit you only to MP3 as all they have is an MPEG hardware chip in the box.

Instead they opted for the HMO approach of having a PC host software. Now they can keep the HMO menu on TiVo simple -- have the PC process all the optional stuff that is available on the PC platform

and most important for TiVo -- let third party apps like JavaHMO, Moodlogic, XM radio etc.. do the parts they do best and also do the work of tying thier products into HMO interface. TiVo stays simple and the PC can get as complicated or as simple as the user wants. That is why I think The TiVo supplied HMO desktop software is so plain and functionless.

Seriously, if you have a home network and do not have a PC that you can keep on and run HMO in the background on then why have a home network ?

Also check out AllMiMedia http://www.allmimedia.com/ and click on products to see how HMO and TiVo can be used to do this streaming you want from your one source for files Home PC.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

Last edited by ZeoTiVo on 01-24-2004 at 12:45 AM

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 01-24-2004 01:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by avillait
So it appears that it is not possible to keep your music on a server that does not run some proprietary software.

The protocol that TiVo uses is published, so someone familiar with CGI/Perl/language of your choice could write non-proprietary SW that, assuming your ISP would allow it to be installed (which I doubt), would make this possible. javaHMO, for example, acts as a TiVo server, and last I checked TiVo Inc. had nothing to do with it.

The TiVo Desktop is really (essentially) just an HTTP server with a "well-known" CGI. You can even talk to it with a web browser if you know the protocol.

I don't know that anything will make it practical to do what you describe, though.

If your issue is just keeping stuff on a server, as long as you can mount space on that server as a file system on your local machine your local machine could act as "server" for the TiVo protocol while actually storing the files elsewhere (for example, I could store MP3s on an FTP site, use ftp_fs to mount the FTP server into my file system, and let jamaHMO serve them up, at the expense of twice the network traffic -- once from the server to the local box then again to the TiVo.) Again, not practical (and probably not what you're asking for) but possible.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HDTiVo is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 09:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HDTiVo Find more posts by HDTiVo Add HDTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

On the assumption that one is willing to use a (low cost) PC as an always on server, if one has a static IP address couldn't one access that PC server from TiVoes anywhere, incl. office, country house, friends house...??

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 10:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by HDTiVo
On the assumption that one is willing to use a (low cost) PC as an always on server, if one has a static IP address couldn't one access that PC server from TiVoes anywhere, incl. office, country house, friends house...??

As long as that machine is addressable (doesn't need to have a static IP if you can reliably discover the dynamic one), and the right port (8101?) is accessible, you could use it anywhere given sufficient point-to-point bandwidth, yes.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HDTiVo is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 12:04 AM
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Then what this person wants could be done with a $350 PC and $200 big HD added on?

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged