TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Can we use Music stored on a server that does not run Tivo software ? <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by HDTiVo
Then what this person wants could be done with a $350 PC and $200 big HD added on?

problem is that most broadband connections do not have much upload (from PC to internet) bandwidth and people I know that have tried this have shut it down and instead spent money on a good MP3 player for music to go with them.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Speed RacerX is offline Old Post 01-31-2004 05:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Speed RacerX Visit Speed RacerX's homepage! Find more posts by Speed RacerX Add Speed RacerX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Speed RacerX

I currently have JavaHMO and Moodlogic installed on a desktop within my home network, and have all my mp3's stored on a server also inside my home network. If I'm not mistaken, you can access JavaHMO from the Internet if you open some ports on your firewall, but I'm not sure if you can serve files from inside your home network, through the Internet, and into another home network or TiVo.

As for your situation, does your ISP's server require you to log in, as in FTP, or can you get to it via setting up a mapped drive on any PC in your house? If you can map a drive, you can use the mp3's there with either the TiVo server software or JavaHMO or Moodlogic.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 01-31-2004 03:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

Re: uhm, okay

quote:
Originally posted by themoviebuff
Well maybe you have enough money or resources to host several Gb of mp3s on a hosted server, or maybe you are not concerned over the RIAA lawsuit, however many people can not afford (or understand ftp well enough for that matter) to do things as you suggest. I think TiVo is simply going for the biggest audience. Why would TiVo make the assumption that in addition to the monthly (or lifetime) subscription cost and the initial equipment cost they should also host their mp3s elsewhere? I understand that you probably mean that you would like support for this and not that everyone should do it this way, but really, how many people would do it your way? For the cost of hosting such a server for a year you could buy a dedicated machine and just leave it running or buy a second hard drive for your existing pc and serve them up from there. Tivo can also hardly openly show support for file sharing considering the RIAA lawsuit. Just my humble opinion.

I have a NAS device, and I would like to access my files from that device, but I can't. I wish I could......

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Speed RacerX is offline Old Post 01-31-2004 03:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Speed RacerX Visit Speed RacerX's homepage! Find more posts by Speed RacerX Add Speed RacerX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Speed RacerX

DCIFRTHS, why can't you access your files from there? Can you map a drive to that NAS device? If so, you can map it on a desktop system, and then run the server of your choice to serve those mp3's for you to your TiVo. I tested a config like that tonight, and it worked like a charm!

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 01-31-2004 04:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

What I wouold like to have is just the NAS device running, and the TiVo software do a search on accessible shares. I would like to remove the PC from the equation. AM I correct in stating that this can't be done at this point in time?

Thanks

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Speed RacerX is offline Old Post 01-31-2004 04:16 PM
Speed RacerX

As far as I understand the technologies involved, you are correct: this cannot be done at this point in time.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 02-01-2004 09:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

Yes, that is not possible, but it would be a great opportunity for HMO 2,0

In addition, what about using the USB port and allowing me to mount an external USB 2.0 HD with music on it? That would be a good feature to have.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 02-02-2004 12:45 AM
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

quote:
Originally posted by Austin Bike
Yes, that is not possible, but it would be a great opportunity for HMO 2,0

In addition, what about using the USB port and allowing me to mount an external USB 2.0 HD with music on it? That would be a good feature to have.

Cool idea too !!!

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged