TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> What's Your Favorite Internet Radio? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Austin Bike is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 10:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

What's Your Favorite Internet Radio?

All,

What are your favorite internet radio stations that successfully stream over TiVo HMO?

Post up and let us know what you listen to.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adunnigan is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 11:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for adunnigan Find more posts by adunnigan Add adunnigan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adunnigan

The only station I really listen to is KEXP Seattle--nice mix of stuff you won't hear on commercial radio (terrible here in Arizona) and the web site has a real-time listing of what's being played.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 01-25-2004 06:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

Thanks, I'm going to give KEXP a try - http://140.142.16.167:8000

I also like:
WUMB Boston - http://216.235.81.103:15032 (esp. for folk music)
WUNC Chapel Hill - http://152.2.63.108:8000 (esp. for BBC news)

Last edited by kitsap on 01-29-2004 at 11:27 PM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BartInPC is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BartInPC Find more posts by BartInPC Add BartInPC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BartInPC

There are a couple Shoutcasts that play Tom Waits non-stop, and they both feature a lot of live and rare tracks that most people do not have. Since I'm a Tom Waits junkie, it's a nice change from the normal stuff we have on our music selection (John Prine, Nanci Griffith, Steve Earle, and Waits of course).

Neither Modified
Wireless Linksys Network

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jedgolf is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 06:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jedgolf Find more posts by jedgolf Add jedgolf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jedgolf

internet radio/Music on TIVO Online

The TIVO site only explains the MP3/Computer file aspect of HMO. Does the upgrade also access internet radio? Also what is "Music on TIVO Online"? It is shown on one of the diagrams but not explained.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 06:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap

It may be sort of an "undocumented" bonus.

For internet radio, you create a simple text document called [something].m3u ... this file should contain a line with the numeric-only IP address for the radio station's MP3 stream. (This only works with MP3 streams.) "Publish" this file using Tivo Desktop.

Thus, I now have a file "KEXP Seattle.m3u" that contains just one line:

http://140.142.16.167:8000

It's cool.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 09:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

More importantly, you can put all of your internet radio links in a single M3U file and then use the channel up/down to move through them. That's a handier interface, the movement back and forth in HMO is still a bit clunky.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 09:35 PM
kitsap

Interesting; I didn't know (or forgot about) that.

Of course, I don't surf radio channels, either, so I prefer the single line.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jbsanders is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 12:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jbsanders Find more posts by jbsanders Add jbsanders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jbsanders

I'm big into soundtracks, so I like streamingsoundtracks.com.

Uh.. I don't have the info for you to make a .m3u but they do maintain a nice website so you can get it there. (I use the shoutcast plugin on JavaHMO to get this.)

Blake

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kberry70 is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 02:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kberry70 Visit kberry70's homepage! Find more posts by kberry70 Add kberry70 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kberry70

Question Streaming radio

Hi...I tried building the .m3u file for Seattle KEXP as suggested

(replace -'s with .'s)

140-142-16-167:8000

It worked great! HOWEVER, What woud I do for another station?
For example, I would really like this one:

www-wgst-com

They have several streams, a Lightning cast stream, a Media Player stream, and a MP3 stream as below:

shoutcast-streamtoyou-com:9191/listen.pls

So, how do I get a shoutcast stream through my Tivo?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kberry70 is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kberry70 Visit kberry70's homepage! Find more posts by kberry70 Add kberry70 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kberry70

Shoutcast Plugin on JavaHMO?

What is that?

Where can I get it?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 05:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO includes a module which allows you to select your favorite shoutcast genre. JavaHMO will then regularly download and maintain a list of online streaming stations for each selected genre. You can then use your TiVo to select a genre to see the list of available stations to play.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kberry70 is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 06:42 AM
kberry70

JavaHMO

Where do I get it? How do I set it up?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jedgolf is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 07:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jedgolf Find more posts by jedgolf Add jedgolf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jedgolf

Thanks, was able to access internet radio, but sound is not good on system, no bass, is this unfortunate characteristic of compressed MP3 format?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 07:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

Re: JavaHMO

quote:
Originally posted by kberry70
Where do I get it? How do I set it up?

http://javahmo.sourceforge.net

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 11:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

quote:
Originally posted by kitsap
It may be sort of an "undocumented" bonus.

For internet radio, you create a simple text document called [something].m3u ... this file should contain a line with the numeric-only IP address for the radio station's MP3 stream. (This only works with MP3 streams.) "Publish" this file using Tivo Desktop.

Thus, I now have a file "KEXP Seattle.m3u" that contains just one line:

http://140.142.16.167:8000

It's cool.

I didn't know this

Thanks for the tip!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Why is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 02:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Why Find more posts by Why Add Why to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Why

Is there anyway to setup a customized station using JavaHMO? I realize that a select few Shoutcast stations are available, but what if I want to listen to something like WUNC? I've tried creating a playlist as suggested for the Tivo Desktop, but JavaHMO won't recognize it as valid. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 09:16 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO does support streaming stations but TiVo places some restrictions on the format:
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/docu....html#playlists

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Why is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Why Find more posts by Why Add Why to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Why

Thanks for the quick response, javahmo. The problem was that there was a / following the port number. I didn't realize that was what causing the problem, but it works now. Now if I could just get My Music, My Pictures, and Playlists all to be in the Music & Photos list at the same time, I'd be really ecstatic!

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 01-29-2004 11:25 PM
kitsap

quote:
Originally posted by Why
The problem was that there was a / following the port number.
Oops, that was probably my fault (assuming you copied my reference above)! I'm not sure why the slash was included ... probably because I originally cut and pasted the URL from some other place. It does work under regular Tivo Desktop either with or without the slash, but I'll go edit my original post to avoid future problems. Sorry!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged