TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Why I won't preorder HD Directivo <<<

Pages (10): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SteveHoltam is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 11:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteveHoltam Find more posts by SteveHoltam Add SteveHoltam to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteveHoltam

I pre-ordered form Good Guys for a few reasons. One, the company now know where there allocated units need to go first. And according to my sales guy, the DVR-250's will all be special orders from their warehouses.
At least with my order already in, they will ship MINE straight to Sacramento as soon as the warehouse gets it.

Another reason is that I've already paid for half, and am now saving to pay the 2nd half when it arrives. Like law-a-way!

Steve

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jrock is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 11:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jrock Find more posts by jrock Add jrock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrock

quote:
Originally posted by tbh999
The #1 reason I wont be preordering!

I'm broke

Hi broke I'm Joe, nice to meet you.

Sorry I couldn't resist

-Joe

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dropper is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dropper Find more posts by dropper Add dropper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropper
UTV Zealot

quote:
Originally posted by notmestl
I think that there would be two reasons I will wait. This would be for a Directv TV HDTivo unit.

#1 To see how the new units shake out, let you guys tell me what's going on under the hood.

#2 I will need a new dish and to run more cables from that dish, so the ideal thing would be a combo deal, dish with receiver. Likely? Probably not, but it would be nice...

#1 I would think that a year after they were first announced, and the fact that they are an incremental product, there shouldn't be too much to "shake out".

#2 Do what I, and many others have done, get the standard HD retension package for $99. For me, I needed to get another cable run (which would have cost more than $99), since you can't stack a multi-sat signal. I will be able to ebay the HD reciever when the HDTivo, and use the money to offset the purchase..

Keith

1 105hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV
1 40hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV

Last edited by dropper on 02-14-2004 at 12:12 AM

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marco is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marco Find more posts by Marco Add Marco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco
Malfeasor

I'm not waiting because I've already delayed getting a HD tuner for well over a year.

Marc
1 HR10-250; 1xDSR6000, 1xDVR40; People evangelized to date: 19

I was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to kick in. -- Hunter S. Tolkien

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dylan is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dylan Find more posts by Dylan Add Dylan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dylan

I don't think this product will be discounted at retail stores for quite some time. I think it will sell for close to full price until DirecTV steps in and subsidizes it. I'll eat crow if you can get it for less then $900 within a month of it's release.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

quote:
Originally posted by dropper
#1 I would think that a year after they were first announced, and the fact that they are an incremental product, there shouldn't be too much to "shake out".
Incremental?!? When has DirecTV ever had an HD PVR?

I think this product is about as new and untested as they come...

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK
TiVo Forum Special Member

its basically a series2 box with 2 more tuners than the SD version.

the comments made at the time the series 2 came out was that it was made modular to stick stuff in or out as needed and i think the DVD player version and DVD writer version bear that out.

The major differences here from the series 2 SD D* versions are there are 4 tuners instead of 2 and the merging of OTA with sat guides. Well the merging of the guides has been done with the stand alones for years now you can set up for sat and antenna. And I dont see the 4 tuners being that big a deal over 2, since basically only 2 work at any one point in time. It's one simple extra step in the logic.

Instead of:
1)scheduler decides to record a channel
2)tune channel
3)record.

you get
1) scheduler decides to record channel
2) decide is it OTA or Sat and go to appropriate tuner
3) tune channel
4) record

hec I made it sound so simple I dont know why they didnt realease it last summer!

I guess in reality its alot more than that, but it is just building upon (hence incremental) the SD series 2 hardware. And they have done that already with the DVD combos so i dont see there being major gremlins like its an E* product or something.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 12:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

quote:
Originally posted by Dylan
I'll eat crow if you can get it for less then $900 within a month of it's release.

And if that works in reverse, I'll drive to Springfield and shove crow down Dylan's throat so the rest of us can get a good deal.

As far as bugs, I really have no concerns there. The fact that it's HD means nothing to me. Tivo functions should work as they do now. How it decodes and displays the data from the hard drive should not be an issue at all. The ONLY issue there may be is the addition of the OTA tuners... how well they work, how well they deal with bad psip data, how well it deals with the same show on multiple sources, etc. Some of that is STILL an issue with current HD receivers. I only have programming data for half of my local channels, probably because of psip data (I'm guessing). There are a couple of "local" channels that will without fail lock up my box if I try to tune to them. Took me the better part of a day just to edit them out of my list so I wouldn't accidently do it since you have to tune to them to edit them out.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cudahy is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cudahy Find more posts by Cudahy Add Cudahy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cudahy

I've never preordered anything before, but I've had my HDcompatible TV for 2 years now and like most people who have Tivo, I'm a Tivo addict. It also looks like the amount of HD programming is finally breaking out. I haven't noticed any reports of serious problems with the beta testers.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bananfish is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bananfish Find more posts by Bananfish Add Bananfish to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bananfish
Preowned Member

I'm not pre-ordering because my hope is that D* will have a retention deal for the DVR-250 similar to the $99 retention deal for the non-TiVo DirecTV HD tuner for good customers of 2 years or longer - which is a nice $300+ price reduction. My 2 year D* anniversary is in mid-May (so I haven't been eligible for the $99 deal yet).

If D* views that $99 retention deal as simply a way to dump HD tuners they don't expect to sell, then they probably won't. But if they view the $99 retention deal as a way of upselling current customers to HD in the hopes of more profits, they just might offer a DVR-250 for $600 or $700 to good customers right off the bat.

The question is whether I have the patience to wait an extra month and a half to see how much they'll try to retain me "Hello, DirecTV, yes, I've received some very attractive offers to switch to Comcast or DishTV and take advantage of their HD offerings, and I thought I'd give you guys a call before I did anything hasty ... what can you do for me?"

bananfish

LR/BR Rcvr: Hughes GXCEBOT DirecTiVo/DirecTV Director Pack
DVD/VCR: Philips Q50 DVD/JVC (cheapie)
HTIB: Onkyo HT-S650 (HT-R500 A/V rcvr + SKS-HT500 speakers)

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kapeman is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kapeman Find more posts by Kapeman Add Kapeman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kapeman
What...who, me?

Here are my reasons for holding off:

1. Cost of the box. It's gotta come down some time.

2. Available content: there just isn't a lot out there.

3. Quality of content: the one channel that I hear has the best quality signal is Discovery Theatre and I understand they repeat a LOT and that the programming is old. I think the same applies to HBO.

4. Cost: an extra $12 or so more a month. That in and of itself is not a deal-breaker, but see 3 above. Plus you have to subscribe to HBO or Showtime to get their feeds. My $2 a month promo will be up before I can switch over.

5. I doubt, at this point, that I will use the OTA receivers. Geography and the disinclination to put up an outdoor antenna prevent that option for me.
I mean, I have a dish why would I want an antenna? (The more things change... I wonder if 8 tracks will be useful again?)

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigpuma is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigpuma Find more posts by bigpuma Add bigpuma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigpuma

Well I can tell you there is only 1 thing holding me back from ordering. I can't afford it yet

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Squeak is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Squeak Find more posts by Squeak Add Squeak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Dude, you need to change your avatar -- unless you really are Kevin Hung. The picture has to be of yourself.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

Others have posted that they have gotten retention to credit them $300 if they went out and bought a HD box from a brick and mortar.

I'v been waiting for HDTV for about a year or 2 so i cant stand to wait another day. (Just got myself a 50 inch hdtv ready LCD projector for Christmas, with a new reciever and progressive scan DVD so i'm dying for a HDTV Box).

I've been a d* cutomer since I think '96 (my first box had an "F card" and they were still using mpeg1- i remember the switch to mpeg2 and all the extra channels that brought) so I hope to call them once my preorder ships and tell them i cant wait for them to mail me a box and ask for a credit if i buy my own, and then just activate the hd-dvr and get the credit that way. I'm not too picky so i'll take it as programming credits or whatever so i hope that gets me what i want. If not- such is life I already got $100 off from the preorder. If I blow the $200 bucks that way it wont be the first or last time I waste $200 for some impatient fun!

quote:
Originally posted by Bananfish
I'm not pre-ordering because my hope is that D* will have a retention deal for the DVR-250 similar to the $99 retention deal for the non-TiVo DirecTV HD tuner for good customers of 2 years or longer - which is a nice $300+ price reduction. My 2 year D* anniversary is in mid-May (so I haven't been eligible for the $99 deal yet).

If D* views that $99 retention deal as simply a way to dump HD tuners they don't expect to sell, then they probably won't. But if they view the $99 retention deal as a way of upselling current customers to HD in the hopes of more profits, they just might offer a DVR-250 for $600 or $700 to good customers right off the bat.

The question is whether I have the patience to wait an extra month and a half to see how much they'll try to retain me "Hello, DirecTV, yes, I've received some very attractive offers to switch to Comcast or DishTV and take advantage of their HD offerings, and I thought I'd give you guys a call before I did anything hasty ... what can you do for me?"

bananfish

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Warp is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 04:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Warp Find more posts by Warp Add Warp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Warp

I'm not preordering, but the only real reason is that there is so little HD content available in my area. None of my local stations broadcast HD. Of the major netoworks, only FOX is broadcasting digital at the moment.

Consider also, that when the HD DirecTivo releases, we will be nearing summer rerun season, so even if I had local HD stations, the content still won't be there until this fall.

The HD DirecTivo is looking like it will be a Christmas present for me. By that time we should have two or three local stations in HD, and I imagine there will be more HD content available on DirecTV as well. Until then, it's all SD for me.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BigAl60015 is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BigAl60015 Find more posts by BigAl60015 Add BigAl60015 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigAl60015

My primary reason for not investing in the HDTivo, or any other new DirecTV equipment at the present time, is the impending shift of Chicago sports teams from Fox Sports Net to a new Comcast-owned sports channel. While I have been a devoted DirecTV and TIVO subscriber for several years, I may have to face the realization that my HD PVR will be a Comcast one, so I can capture my favorite teams. I am of course assuming that Comcast Sports Chicago, or whatever it will be called will not be DirecTV .

As I currently have 3 DirecTIVOs, I will have some hard decisions come this fall, when the Bulls and Blackhawks show up on Comcast.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 05:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

There is plenty of content. If you can't even get OTA there might not be enough for you anytime soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Kapeman
2. Available content: there just isn't a lot out there.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MCodanti is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 06:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MCodanti Find more posts by MCodanti Add MCodanti to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCodanti

quote:
Originally posted by Warp
Consider also, that when the HD DirecTivo releases, we will be nearing summer rerun season, so even if I had local HD stations, the content still won't be there until this fall.

Maybe for the broadcast networks but starting in April HBO and ShowTime have a lot of original series that have a new season start airing.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewba is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 06:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewba Find more posts by drewba Add drewba to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewba

I pre-ordered because I've been waiting for a HDTiVo since I got my first HD receiver and SD TiVo 2+ years ago and I could afford to pay cash (well, pay off the credit card bill when it comes). Having tried to use the current Motorola STB from Comcast, I have no interest in their PVR product.

Saving for tomorrow is important, but no one is guaranteed tomorrow and this is important to me today. Unfortunately, there are a lot of tomorrows between now and release day.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pasipple is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pasipple Find more posts by pasipple Add pasipple to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pasipple

quote:
Dude, you need to change your avatar -- unless you really are Kevin Hung. The picture has to be of yourself.

Anybody on this thread know Ryan Seacrest?

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged