TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Why I won't preorder HD Directivo <<<

Pages (10): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Todd76 is offline Old Post 02-14-2004 09:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd76 Find more posts by Todd76 Add Todd76 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd76

quote:
Originally posted by BigAl60015
I am of course assuming that Comcast Sports Chicago, or whatever it will be called will not be DirecTV

The SD channel will be on DirecTV. The channel is owned by the teams, and they won't let Comcast keep it off satellite. The HD channel will also eventually be on DirecTV but maybe not in the first year.

Of more immediate concern is WGN-HD...all home games in HD starting in two months. It's not on Comcast yet.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgibbs is offline Old Post 02-15-2004 08:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tgibbs Find more posts by tgibbs Add tgibbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tgibbs

new customer deal?

I don't have DirecTV now, but the HDTivo will be enough to convince me to switch from cable. I don't expect the price of the basic unit to drop quickly, but I'm hoping there might be some bonuses in introductory deals similar to those that are offered currently, such as support for standard TVs in other rooms.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BigAl60015 is offline Old Post 02-15-2004 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BigAl60015 Find more posts by BigAl60015 Add BigAl60015 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigAl60015

quote:
Originally posted by Todd76
The SD channel will be on DirecTV. The channel is owned by the teams, and they won't let Comcast keep it off satellite. The HD channel will also eventually be on DirecTV but maybe not in the first year.

Of more immediate concern is WGN-HD...all home games in HD starting in two months. It's not on Comcast yet.

I hope you are right, Todd. But there are cities (Philadelphia and Washington, perhaps) that are Cpmcast cities without the sports station on DirecTV.

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd76 is offline Old Post 02-16-2004 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd76 Find more posts by Todd76 Add Todd76 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd76

I think the Washington channel is on D*, and Philadelphia is a special situation. I tried to find a link for you but couldn't.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 02-16-2004 06:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

With all of the problems that have been reported when new boxes come out, I'll wait to see how the HDTiVo shakes out. Also, not enough channels for me to record.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TIVOFREAK is offline Old Post 02-16-2004 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TIVOFREAK Find more posts by TIVOFREAK Add TIVOFREAK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TIVOFREAK

I can't believe that I am waiting on this. I want to get more locals in HD from Direct TV.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PerfKnee is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 12:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PerfKnee Find more posts by PerfKnee Add PerfKnee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PerfKnee

Lets look at the Sony HD200 HDTV receiver. I preordered and bought one for $720 from good guys (with a 10% off coupon like I'm using for the HDTivo). More than a year later, they're selling for $510 on ebay now. So the value dropped $190 or only 26% over more than a year.

Assuming the HDTivo follows the same trajectory, it will drop by 26% of $900, or $234 over the period of a year. Am I willing to pay $234 for a year's worth of the product I've been waiting for since getting an HD display in 2000? You betcha. Considering that the D* monthly fees are several times that amount per year, it's quite reasonable.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hootydog is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 01:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hootydog Find more posts by Hootydog Add Hootydog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hootydog

quote:
Originally posted by PerfKnee
Am I willing to pay $234 for a year's worth of the product I've been waiting for since getting an HD display in 2000? You betcha. Considering that the D* monthly fees are several times that amount per year, it's quite reasonable.

Precisely!

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DTV TiVo Dealer Visit DTV TiVo Dealer's homepage! Find more posts by DTV TiVo Dealer Add DTV TiVo Dealer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

The HD-DIRECTV-TiVo DVR price will not begin to drop until the third quarter of 2004 as delivery will be very limited until the 3 - 4 quarter of 2004.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgibbs is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tgibbs Find more posts by tgibbs Add tgibbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tgibbs

price drop?

quote:
Originally posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
The HD-DIRECTV-TiVo DVR price will not begin to drop until the third quarter of 2004 as delivery will be very limited until the 3 - 4 quarter of 2004.

However, that's assuming that demand will be higher. But a price of $1K at a time when HD program material is still in somewhat short supply may limit demand as well.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

1. I got tired of waiting and bought a MyHD card to put in an old computer.

2. I may not be living here in a year, so I don't want to lock into DirecTV.

3. I really don't want to increase my DirecTV bill by $10 a month when the only HD content I'll be watching would be OTA.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 02:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DTV TiVo Dealer Visit DTV TiVo Dealer's homepage! Find more posts by DTV TiVo Dealer Add DTV TiVo Dealer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

Re: price drop?

quote:
Originally posted by tgibbs
However, that's assuming that demand will be higher. But a price of $1K at a time when HD program material is still in somewhat short supply may limit demand as well.

Demand is exploding for all HD devises.

For now we are still able to maintain the 899. price, exclusively for avs/TC members.

Very soon DIRECTV will be announcing many more HD channels.

Personally I love the ones they have now. My family watches more HD channels since we got our HD displays at home.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigpuma is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigpuma Find more posts by bigpuma Add bigpuma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigpuma

quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike

2. I may not be living here in a year, so I don't want to lock into DirecTV.

If you move and can't get DirecTV then you would be let out of the 1 year commitment.

quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike

3. I really don't want to increase my DirecTV bill by $10 a month when the only HD content I'll be watching would be OTA.

You don't have to pay $10 a month unless you want the extra HD channels. If you don't get the HD package you would still be able to receive the OTA HD channels.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

Re: Re: price drop?

quote:
Personally I love the ones they have now. My family watches more HD channels since we got our HD displays at home.

Yeah, I'd say I probably watch 50% HD already. I watch a LOT of DiscoveryHD, both the content and the PQ of their programming is great. I've only had HD for about six months, so I guess I just haven't been saturated with their repeat rate like many have. I've been anxious for DirecTV to add more HD movie channels, but after hearing people bitch about the low percentage of HD content on StarzHD, I'm not as excited about that as I once was. And I fear CinemaxHD and TMC-HD may not add that much either, considering at least some of their content is going to be duplicated on HBO & showtime. While I'm really anxious for 7s to go up so they can add some new HD channels, in reality we probably aren't missing out on a TON of stuff that isn't aready available on the channels we have. But it's only going to get better.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markthenewf is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 10:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markthenewf Find more posts by markthenewf Add markthenewf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markthenewf
Chief Newf

quote:
Originally posted by litzdog911
A lot will simply depend on how many HD DirecTivo's "flood" the retailers. If supplies are tight, then prices will stay high. But I, too, have decided not to preorder. It's certainly a safe bet that the prices won't go UP.

And another reason to sit back and wait a few months is to let them update the OS. There's gonna be bugs, and I'd just as soon let everyone else get irritated first, figure out the fixes, then let us all know how to fix them. Plus I'll save a few bucks.

Mark

"The necessities of life in ascending order: clothing, food, water, and a very loud set of speakers."

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 12:31 PM
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

quote:
Originally posted by markthenewf
And another reason to sit back and wait a few months is to let them update the OS. There's gonna be bugs, and I'd just as soon let everyone else get irritated first, figure out the fixes, then let us all know how to fix them. Plus I'll save a few bucks.

I don't expect the price to drop within the next 6 - 9 months nor do I think we will experience many bugs, consider the following:

1. HD and TiVo STB have been around for several years.

2. 200 Beta testers have been de-bugging this product for several months.

3. Future updates will come via satellite making the upgrades and fixes easy and transparent to users.

Regarding the price, I am fighting to keep the price down for as long as I can. Demand is high wile near and far future availability is very limited. Sales would be just as high without the $100.00 discount.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PerfKnee is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 01:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PerfKnee Find more posts by PerfKnee Add PerfKnee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PerfKnee

I must admit I usually take the "wait a few months and see" approach myself. It's nice to know others are checking it out and working out any issues before you hop on. That's a perfectly reasonable approach if you don't need to have it right away.

But this is such an incredibly desirable thing that I've been waiting years for, it is a "must have right away"!

In my case it will allow me to sell my HDVR2 (going for $200+ on ebay) and my HD200 (going for $500+ on ebay) right away, so my marginal cost is only $200. I'll drop a $5 per month D* mirroring charge.

Now that directv has CBS HD, I'm also selling my Dish 600 for $400+ and I'm also dropping the $6.50 per month I was paying Dish for CBS. If you factor that in, the HD Tivo is actually saving me money!

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Budget_HT is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 02:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Budget_HT Find more posts by Budget_HT Add Budget_HT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Budget_HT

I am waiting, but only until my number comes up at my local Good Guys, where I was first to pre-order the HD TiVo. Overall, I am about #150 on their warehouse list.

We have plenty of prime time, sports, movies and HDNet HD programs that appear at hours when I must be sleeping or working, so this will give me the same viewing/scheduling freedom that we have had with our two DirecTiVos for over two years now.

It is most uncomfortable to watch live TV (HDTV) and not be able to pause or speed through commercials.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 07:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout

quote:
3. Future updates will come via satellite making the upgrades and fixes easy and transparent to users.

Oooo. Wouldn't that be a change from the way it's done now? Updates to the TiVo OS come over the phone while guide updates come over the satellite. Moving the updates to the sat would mean no need for a phone line unless you want to order PPV from the STB, right?

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

OT

quote:
Originally posted by Todd76
I think the Washington channel is on D*, and Philadelphia is a special situation. I tried to find a link for you but couldn't.

a little OT- but the special situation is Philadelphia.

Apparently there was some law or regulation that says if the channel is EVER broadcast through the air then comcast would have to share with others. It was old and written before fiber optic lines were common so i think the wording choosen was just the best description they had at the time and wasnt meant to exclude any particular transmission. So if they sent the signal via a sat, or beam via microwave or anything like that they must negotiate to share with other providers. Comcast had some good lawyers and figured out the wording was old so to circumvent sharing the channel they installed fiber optic lines to get the signal moved around so it never touches the air. Hence they can be scum bags and not share. I think at one point it so revulted even the crooks in congress that even they made a law against such shinanigans, but the crook (i think it might have been arleen spector, but could have been the ketchup dude) representing comcast (er ah the people of PA) had comcast exempted for all time. So it cant ever happen again but the people or Philadelphia are hosed for eternity.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged