TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> 2 DTivos and 1 HD-DTivo in the same room <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
aaronwt is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 08:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

2 DTivos and 1 HD-DTivo in the same room

Is there any way to have 2 DTivos and 1 HD-Tivo in the same room without the remote signals causing problems by trying to control two units at the same time. I currently have 2 DTivos in the same room, and just realized when I get the HD-DTivo in March/April that the current remote isn't made to control 3 units. How can I control 3 units in the same room without any problems?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 08:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toeside Find more posts by Toeside Add Toeside to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toeside

You'll just need to set different remote codes on each Tivo. You'll then need 3 remotes, each set to the correct code, or 1 of the newer remotes with a Tivo selector switch and another remote....

or you can manually change the remote code each time you change sources...

Craig

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 08:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

Are there any remotes available that can control 3 units?? I already have 9 remotes and a keyboard.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jonginear is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 09:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jonginear Find more posts by jonginear Add jonginear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonginear

There are a number of multi function remotes available on the market. I highly recomed the Home Theater Master MX-500. It will set you back a couple of bucks, but is the easiest to use learning remote I've ever used. It even does macro functions like, turn on the receiver, turn on the T.V., switch to the TiVo input, and go to "now playing". all at the touch of a single button. You can replace all of your remotes, and add as many TiVo's as you want.

Jon

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 09:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

MX500s are super super popular. Other options include Prontos and the like...

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 09:53 AM
aaronwt
Advanced Member

I have a prontopro but it's not as easy to use for the Tivo. The Tivo remote fits perfectly in my hand and I can use the buttons by feel, without having to look at the remote. I never fully integrated my remotes into my Pronto pro. I don't think I ever will since some of the remotes are just easier to use since I can do it by feel. I have to look at the pronto pro to use the features I have programmed into it.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raul_Giacoman is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 07:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raul_Giacoman Find more posts by Raul_Giacoman Add Raul_Giacoman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raul_Giacoman

I have a modified URC 6131 remote that utilizes the jp1 and can be programmed via your PC. I use it to control two tivos and it will also be set up to control the hdtv tivo when it comes out. This remote can be programmed. This remote is unique in that it includes tivo buttons. Here is a link in case you are interested.
http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/Me...tegory_Code=OFA

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 02-17-2004 10:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toeside Find more posts by Toeside Add Toeside to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toeside

aaronwt....the standard TiVo remote can support 9 TiVos if you want to manually assign the code.

Just press Tivo+Pause until it lights up, then press the number of the receiver. I did this in the past.... Depending on how often you need to switch sources and how many people you have to "train" for this, it could work. ;P

Craig

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RxMan is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RxMan Find more posts by RxMan Add RxMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RxMan

I would also recommend the mx-500. I love mine. I have a Series1 DTivo. The only thing I don't like is that it can't handle favorite channel macros. For example, by pushing the 'ESPN' button, it should change to 206. The Dtivo is too sluggish to handle the number inputs. I am really hoping that the new HD-Tivo is more responsive to the remote.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 01:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

I highly recommend the MX-500 as well....

check out my layout here:
http://www.kpog.com/mx500

but if you want to have multiple TiVos with factory remotes:

Here is a brief instruction on changing the remote codes:

1. Cover the IR window of the second TiVo while you do the first, so the 1st TiVo remote doesn't attempt to navigate through menus on the 2nd TiVo
2. On the 1st Tivo, navigate to the System Information screen and scroll down until you see "Remote Address"
3. Hold down the PAUSE and TiVo buttons for 5 seconds until the red LED on the remote lights up.
4. Use the number keys to enter any digit (1,2 or 3)...I used 2 on one T60 and 3 on the other. The remote LED will flash but the screen will not update.
5. Press the RIGHT arrow key to send the code to the receiver...you should see the digit yuou entered update on-screen.
6. Exit out of the menus of the 1st TiVo and repeat for the second (making sure you block the IR window of the 1st)

That should be all there is to it.

One note....if you are ever in the system information screen of one TiVo, pressing of a button on the other remote could change codes and cause conflicts. Don't ever go into the System information screens on both TiVo's at the same time.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RxMan is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 01:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RxMan Find more posts by RxMan Add RxMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RxMan

unixadm,

Have you tried any of the favorite channel buttons with your Tivos? Mine just doesn't respond fast enough to catch the 3 number input.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 01:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

I did configure a few favorite channels on the MX-500, and from what I remember they seemed to work when I first tested them......but I really never use them, so I don't know 100% if it works perfectly.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged