TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> TiVoToGo Survey <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 06:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

TiVoToGo Survey

There is a link in the latest TiVo newsletter to a survey concerning TivoToGo...

http://l.tivo.1nc028.com/l/r/03YZi8dj0Ab720X5A

It has a couple of interesting things in it which deserve notice. The first one being how it states with near certainty that you will not only be able to transfer recordings from the TiVo to the computer, but also from the computer back to the TiVo. Offering the user something of a virtual hard drive upgrade. It also mentions the possibility of transferring other, non-TiVo, video content such as downloaded video content and home movies. Which, if added, would transform the TiVo from a DVR to a all in one media center And lastly it offered up the possibility of allowing us to use applications, other then Sonic MyDVD, to edit Tivo recordings. This is exciting to me because I currently use Pinnacle Studio for editing and DVD creation, and I would love to continue using it for TiVoToGo as well.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 06:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

Took the survey, any others?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 07:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale
TiVo Forum Special Member

Just took it to, very exciting.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 07:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

Re: TiVoToGo Survey

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203

...a couple of interesting things in it which deserve notice. The first one being how it states with near certainty...

Dan's well intentioned, but perhaps a bit overzealous in his summary.

It's a survey, not a press release.

No announcements. No certainty stated. Just some questions about what you want from TiVoToGo.

Thanks in advance for taking the survey.

Thanks,
Pony

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Popasmurf is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 07:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Popasmurf Visit Popasmurf's homepage! Find more posts by Popasmurf Add Popasmurf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Popasmurf

Yup. Took the survey and as I clicked submit, silently chanted Beta...Beta...Beta...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 07:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

Re: Re: TiVoToGo Survey

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
Dan's well intentioned, but perhaps a bit overzealous in his summary.

It's a survey, not a press release.

ah, but if you could turn that survey into a press release, you could sell lots of TiVoToGo at a nice markup

anyhow, thanks for asking us our opinions

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

warrend is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 09:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for warrend Find more posts by warrend Add warrend to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
warrend

I took the survey too, and while initially very excited I came down pretty hard.

I've been looking at the Pioneer 810H TiVo/DVD Burner, it's almost been enough for me to trade up from my upgraded Phillips HD-110 (it's certainly served me long enough). TiVoToGo looks like a better alternative (although I would have to get a series 2)

BUT, note when the survey discusses playback, the options are 1)watch on a PC with an attached dongle or 2) transfer content back to the TiVo. I couldn't see anywhere (and boy how I looked) how TiVoToGo will allow you to burn a standalone DVD playable on any DVD player.

This just about kills it for me. Tivo is about making viewing easier, not harder. They want me to endure an 802b download to my PC, spend time editing (perhaps with my own software), then author and burn a DVD. Which I would gladly do, but to watch it I have to leave the media room, boot the PC, go find the dvd, plug in a dongle, and endure another transfer back to my possibly full TiVo which is sitting atop a perfectly fine DVD player. At least I'd have time to make popcorn.

C'mon, crippled like this it'll never be more than a geek feature (not to say I'm not that kind of geek). The rub is that the Pioneer 810h is already letting folks burn fully playable DVDs from TiVo content now, so it's not like any new ground is being broken here.

I hope I misunderstood...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hibernia is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 09:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hibernia Find more posts by Hibernia Add Hibernia to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hibernia

I filled it out as well, even before seeing this thread - I think Tivo will go with this, the market demands that we consolidate our entertainment optinos more and more - fusing computers, TV, Internet, radio, etc closer and closer.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

voidptr is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 10:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for voidptr Find more posts by voidptr Add voidptr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
voidptr
SQL Geek

More interesting was under Which TiVo DVRs do you currently own:
Hughes HDVR2 (Series2) DIRECTV DVR

That's the first time I've ever seen TiVo call a HDVR2 a series 2..

(Also for question 30, I answered other: Waiting for HMO support on DirecTV DVRs.)

I don't really need or want HMO on mine right now, but I'd probably buy it for TiVo2Go.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 10:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

About the survey. Isn't it a bit late to be asking what features people want in it? I mean they already announced the features at CES. Wouldn't a better time to have asked have been before CES?

Still if they could add all those features, I'd be very happy.

quote:
Originally posted by warrend
C'mon, crippled like this it'll never be more than a geek feature (not to say I'm not that kind of geek). The rub is that the Pioneer 810h is already letting folks burn fully playable DVDs from TiVo content now, so it's not like any new ground is being broken here.

I hope I misunderstood...

Yes you misunderstood. It would be burning DVD's. The DVD format (even the DRM) is a standard and there is nothing in the DVD standard about the TiVo USB dongle
Most stand alone, car and portable DVD players don't even have a USB port, so you could not be expected to plug one in.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GameGuru is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 10:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GameGuru Visit GameGuru's homepage! Find more posts by GameGuru Add GameGuru to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GameGuru
Advanced Member

I took it too!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 01:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Re: Re: TiVoToGo Survey

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
No announcements. No certainty stated. Just some questions about what you want from TiVoToGo.

From the survey page...

quote:

WHAT IS TiVoToGo?

TiVoToGo is a potential new feature set for TiVo Series2 DVR users. The feature set would allow you to transfer programs from your DVR onto a computer. On that computer, you could watch the programs, store them for later, edit them, or burn them to DVD.

To use TiVoToGo, you would first connect your Series2 DVR(s) to your home network. Then you would purchase a small security "key" and plug it into a USB port on your computer. The key would allow the computer to access your Series2 DVR, and you would then be able to transfer programs from your DVR to your computer.

Once the programs were transferred, you could play back the programs on the computer or perform other tasks, as long as the security key was inserted in the computer.

Some ways in which you might use TiVoToGo are described below.

TiVoToGo Security Key

PLAYBACK AND STORAGE

Playback: Ever wanted to watch shows somewhere other than on your DVR? Use TiVoToGo to transfer programs from your DVR to a computer.

For example, you could transfer some programs to your laptop and watch them while traveling. Perhaps you make a lot of cross-country flights, or spend a lot of time waiting in airports, or maybe you commute every day on the train. You could use a laptop to watch programs in these locations.

Another idea would be to transfer programs to another computer in your home so that you could watch them while someone else was using the TV.

(Transfer speed would depend on the speed of your home network.)

Storage: Ever wanted to move shows off your DVR to save space? You could use TiVoToGo to transfer programs from your DVR to a computer, and use the computer as expanded storage.

After you transferred programs to your computer, you could delete the programs from your DVR to free up space for more recordings. When you wanted to watch a program again, you could transfer it back to your DVR, or play it on your computer.

I know it's just a survey, but it never uses "for example" in the storage section of that statement.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 09:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

I took it also. I'm surprised that they didn't include the Pioneer or Toshiba models in the list of DVR units.

How do I get on the subscription list for the newsletter? I've tried several times to subscribe, but it doesn't ever seem to take.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bradc314 is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 09:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bradc314 Find more posts by Bradc314 Add Bradc314 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bradc314
Hi.

Pony,

Can I call it "TiVoToGo-Go"? For some reason, I read it that way, and now the name has stuck.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

granoff is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 09:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for granoff Visit granoff's homepage! Find more posts by granoff Add granoff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
granoff

quote:
Originally posted by morac
About the survey. Isn't it a bit late to be asking what features people want in it? I mean they already announced the features at CES. Wouldn't a better time to have asked have been before CES?

No, I don't think so.

My take on TiVoToGo is that there is an underlying enabling technology (essentially in the dongle that makes a PC look like a TiVo). This enabler opens the possibility for a myriad of potential features, which are essentially a SMOP (Simple Matter of Programming) for the PC or Mac (or whatever).

My 2 cents, of course.

-Mark

100Mbit Wired Ethernet w/ Netgear USB 2.0 FA-120 Adapters
Waiting for PC-to-TiVo video capability and true web-based access...

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

Re: Re: Re: TiVoToGo Survey

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
From the survey page...

I know it's just a survey, but it never uses "for example" in the storage section of that statement.

Dan

From the second line of text on the survey page....

"This survey is about potential features for TiVoToGo, an upcoming feature enhancement for the TiVo Series2 DVR."

Of course, you can choose not to read that.

It would be rather awkward if each sentence in the survey had to include the words 'potentially, possibly, and what if', followed by a link to a disclaimer. If you're going to ask questions about potential features, it often helps to describe what those potential features potentially could be.

But, read what you'd like.

And thanks again to everyone who spends the time to take the survey.

Pony

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kenerups is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 09:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kenerups Find more posts by kenerups Add kenerups to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenerups
cat furniture

Can I call it "TiVoToGo-Go"? For some reason, I read it that way, and now the name has stuck. [/B][/QUOTE]

I can see it now. The little tivo guy/gal cage dancing on top of a bar.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hunter Green is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 10:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter Green Visit Hunter Green's homepage! Find more posts by Hunter Green Add Hunter Green to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

One thing the survey didn't ask is if the name TiVoToGo sounds too much like the same flavor of name as TiVoMatic. I wonder if someday it'll be iGoTiVo instead.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

or just iTiVo
If TiVoToGo enables TiVo to access Internet content it will be a real winner!

In all honesty, if TiVo implements any of the features announced or presented in the survey it will be a real winner but the more they add to the released product from the survey the better for everyone.

I can say that the survey seemed to cover almost everything I wan't, especially if TiVo provides API documentation necessary for geniuses like JavaHMO to really tweak the capabilities and provide the ability to go to a site like http://www.apple.com/trailers/ and watch on the TiVo.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jasonl99 is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 11:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jasonl99 Find more posts by jasonl99 Add jasonl99 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jasonl99
Now New and Improved

quote:
Originally posted by voidptr
More interesting was under Which TiVo DVRs do you currently own:
Hughes HDVR2 (Series2) DIRECTV DVR

That's the first time I've ever seen TiVo call a HDVR2 a series 2..

(Also for question 30, I answered other: Waiting for HMO support on DirecTV DVRs.)

I don't really need or want HMO on mine right now, but I'd probably buy it for TiVo2Go.

It's been called a Series2 in the past by TiVo, TiVo employees, and of course all of us on the forum. That was before DirecTV and TiVo re-did their agreement, taking over all support and marketing of the DirecTV (and the name change to DirecTV DVR with TiVo). At that time, it seemed that TiVo backtracked about calling it a Series2.

Bottom line, DirecTV has full control over what features are added to DTiVo. The fact that it's on the survyey is a plus, but I suspect it's more so TiVo can go to DirecTV and say "see, they want this feature too!"

Let's just say that I'm not holding my breath.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged