TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Pre-Orders- other Stores and Online Dealers. <<<

Pages (13): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pemintr is offline Old Post 03-09-2004 09:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pemintr Find more posts by pemintr Add pemintr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pemintr

I just Pre-ordered at the Goodguys. According to their system the Good Guys is supposed to receive 1000 units between April 15 and May 15.

In their system I was listed as #260, however the receipt doesn't say anything... dang was that #360.. I better call.

I waited this long, as a long time lurker on this forum, because for the money I just wanted to be sure it was a good release... but now with the production slowdown rumor, I bit the bullet.

Even though I'm a little worried about a production slowdown, I figure they can't really mess with us that bad can they? And I at least have a month in which I can still cancel... And I've been waiting for this thing for HD and if this will enable me...regardless of future updates, let's do it.

If only it would have been here for the NCAAs.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gunzour is offline Old Post 03-09-2004 11:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gunzour Find more posts by gunzour Add gunzour to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gunzour

I'd much rather find another retailer which is taking preorders rather than VE which I never heard of before this, has no local B&M presence, and won't answer emails from potential customers. I see someone mentioned Tweeter, I'll check them out tomorrow.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bmccrea is offline Old Post 03-09-2004 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bmccrea Find more posts by bmccrea Add bmccrea to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bmccrea
Preorder #CLXIX

quote:
Originally posted by Gromit
I'm # 173, so I predict that Robert's first allocation will be 170. It could be worse (172).

Cool-- I'll settle for the first allocation of 170!!!!!!!!!!

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PerfKnee is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 12:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PerfKnee Find more posts by PerfKnee Add PerfKnee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PerfKnee

I preordered from Good Guys in San Mateo (Brick and Mortar) a while back, and when I checked with them last week they said they were expecting a shipment of 1000 (assumedly to northern california) on April 10. I am number 74 in line out of those 1000 so I should get one.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

They are not going to get 1000.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by rogo
They are not going to get 1000.
Definitely not all at once.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

From my quick calculation, between the week of March 22 and April 10, there should be about 1000 to 1800 units produced (nationally). So, definitely, not 1000 all at once. I doubt even at all.

Hong.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by hongcho
From my quick calculation, between the week of March 22 and April 10, there should be about 1000 to 1800 units produced (nationally). So, definitely, not 1000 all at once. I doubt even at all.

Hong.

Internationally, even. I'd put it at 1,800 unless something goes wrong.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pemintr is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pemintr Find more posts by pemintr Add pemintr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pemintr

1800 nationally gives me hope that the Good Guys will receive at least 300 by April 10. I am #260 on their list. The two guys I spoke to still expect 1000 nationally by May 15... of course I don't think they actually know.

So what happens to the early adopters when the reason for the production slow down is revealed? Are there any speculations on that anywhere?

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegolf68 is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegolf68 Find more posts by joegolf68 Add joegolf68 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegolf68

Sounds like this thread could be combined witht the pre-ordedr thread.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tom J is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tom J Find more posts by Tom J Add Tom J to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom J

With all this talk about the initial manufacturing runs spoken for by EXISTING, anxious customers it makes me wonder how D* can use the new boxes to attract NEW customers. How can they promote it if the hardware isn't available? Just makes me wonder if the predictions of "limited supply" until the fourth quarter will be true.

Tom J

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 09:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

At this point, they have no announced plans to use the box to attract new customers.. And it is not a prediction about limited supply. The manufacturing plant is producing something else after the initial batch of units....

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

Not to mention the much bigger concern about servicing existing dead or DOA boxes. This type of manufacturing schedule is a recipe for disaster. Good luck even if you have a service contract with DirecTV, and if you don't--you better pray to the early adopter gods on this thing.

I guess instead of waiting a few months I might be waiting a lot longer for a reasonable price point.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J
With all this talk about the initial manufacturing runs spoken for by EXISTING, anxious customers it makes me wonder how D* can use the new boxes to attract NEW customers. How can they promote it if the hardware isn't available? Just makes me wonder if the predictions of "limited supply" until the fourth quarter will be true.
Tom J

What are they going to do, just let everybody with HD DVR choices from cable companies just pick them without a fight?

quote:
Originally posted by JohnTivo
At this point, they have no announced plans to use the box to attract new customers.. And it is not a prediction about limited supply. The manufacturing plant is producing something else after the initial batch of units....

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by JohnTivo

DO you work in the selectron plant?

Kidding aside- no official source has said the plant will be producing something else. I tend to believe the poster's who have stated that, but i think that was the point of the Tom J's post.

Also, without knowing what the replacement product is, there is a posibility that D* could reevaluate their plans if demand for this box is much higher than they anticipated. I think that's a little far fetched too but nothing is written in stone.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 11:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

No, I don't work at the plant. The source for the products availability till the 4th quarter is very credible in my eyes. I have no reason to doubt his information. Regarding the reason for the limited supply, well that could be debated I guess. I'm not sure I've ever seen an official production schedule for the plant...

Sure DirecTv could have miscalculated the demand for this unit. and sure they could figure out a way to quickly ramp up production after the initial run... but I doubt it. Maybe the unit has issues that haven't been talked about and they need us early adopters to work out the kinks. Maybe, as has been suggested on the forums here, D* has a new version already in the works (yeah right!). Maybe D* doesn't feel threatened by Cable Co's HD DVRs or by E*'s sorry excuse for a HD DVR, and that is why production was going to be limited to start. Maybe they wanted to wait till some higher capacity drives are released mid year. Maybe, since the new show season is almost over, D* felt few would want to buy the unit until next fall. Obviously time will tell what happens with the production.

I know this for sure, I can't wait to set mine up!

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK
DO you work in the selectron plant?

Kidding aside- no official source has said the plant will be producing something else. I tend to believe the poster's who have stated that, but i think that was the point of the Tom J's post.

Also, without knowing what the replacement product is, there is a posibility that D* could reevaluate their plans if demand for this box is much higher than they anticipated. I think that's a little far fetched too but nothing is written in stone.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 06:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

The box won't attract new customer until fall, with Fox HD, more football, and the likelihood of several new HD channels on D* all coming into focus along with the existing offerings.

Dolts like us are shelling out $1000 (or $900) for the privilege of having the box in place to catch summer reruns.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dropper is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 06:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dropper Find more posts by dropper Add dropper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropper
UTV Zealot

quote:
Originally posted by rogo
The box won't attract new customer until fall, with Fox HD, more football, and the likelihood of several new HD channels on D* all coming into focus along with the existing offerings.

Dolts like us are shelling out $1000 (or $900) for the privilege of having the box in place to catch summer reruns.

Maybe by then, KCOP-13 (UPN L.A.) will be in HiDef and I can watch Enterprise in HiDef goodness.

Keith

1 105hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV
1 40hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Runch Machine is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 07:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Runch Machine Find more posts by Runch Machine Add Runch Machine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runch Machine

I'm definitely waiting till fall. I got tired of waiting for HD-Tivo and switched to the dark side. (CABLE!). Their HD-DVR works, but is lacking many features. However, it allows me to time shift HD programming now. Of course Scientific Atlanta, the company the makes TimeWarners HD DVR is also working on improvements. Time will tell if I actually switch back to Directv. I took Time Warner up on their Ditch the Dish promo so TW is half the price of Directv for 12 months AND I don't have to fork out $1000 for equipment. That said, I still miss my Tivo. I look forward to hearing reviews on the thing, if it ever comes out.

It amazes me the screw ups that have occurred in the life of the DirecTivo product. I have a Sony T60 and a Phillips DSR7000. The Sony was upgraded to 140 hours and the Phillips to 107 hours. The Series ones come out, and sold out and there was no DirecTivo available for months, until the Hughs/Phillips line came out. Now people are waiting around for HD-Tivo and plenty have jumped ship. To make matters worse, there are rumors that there is limited production. They should fire the person in charge of manufacturing. They can't get it right. Note that if you look around, there are several companies making a variety of DVRs. LG has one out now, RCA has one out now, and Sony announced a line of them coming soon. If there production really is delayed till forth quarter after the initial run, there will be half a dozen competitors out there by the end of the year. I've read a review of the LG box and it sounds darn good. It even has it's own program guide system. For someone like me who watches 99% OTA network programming, I am going to have a lot of options IF I can resist the lure of HD Tivo. Lots of people I know are getting HDTVs. People who don't know how great Tivo is are going to buy what's available. DirecTV will be left out in the cold.

Samsung SIR-S120R DirecTivo,
Sony SAT-HD200 Directv Receiver
Channel Master 4221 in garage attic for perfect over the air reception.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cudahy is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 04:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cudahy Find more posts by Cudahy Add Cudahy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cudahy

And then there are people like us who probably won't even have an antenna put up when the HDtivo comes out since we only watch a few programs on network TV that aren't on Directv in HD. We're getting it for movies and sports. My hope is that(as the #4 preorder from Goodguys)I'll get it in time for opening day, April 4th, Redsox against Baltimore on ESPN HD.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:26 PM
rogo
Advanced Member

"Now people are waiting around for HD-Tivo and plenty have jumped ship. "

DirecTv must've lost a few hundred customers due to this waiting.

I can Rupert now in the "board room"....

[trump voice]
You're fired!
[/trump voice]

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged