TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Pre-Orders- other Stores and Online Dealers. <<<

Pages (13): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cudahy is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 11:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cudahy Find more posts by Cudahy Add Cudahy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cudahy

When I placed my preorder at GoodGuys(in Southern California) I was told I was the 4th preorder for the state. That was January 23rd, about a week after VE started taking preorders. GoodGuys should qualify for at least some of the initial shipment. The only question is whether it has to go through a national warehouse first. Will try to find out tomorow, the salesman at my local Goodguys was pretty knowledgeable about what was happening. Their computer at the time listed March 15th as the release date.

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BobJ2004 is offline Old Post 03-25-2004 11:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BobJ2004 Find more posts by BobJ2004 Add BobJ2004 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobJ2004

Reading the OLD post for when the Direct Tivo Series Two starting Shipping, VE was the first to get them out back then.

Could it be that Robert got His orders in first last time and also in first for the HD Tivo release?

Or maybe He is just one of the larger retailers and has in side connections or a good rep on first releases, after all , the Tivo Techies are on the forum that they sponsor, Good Guys is not a sponsor of any Tivo board.

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cudahy is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cudahy Find more posts by Cudahy Add Cudahy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cudahy

There's no reason for Directv to give preferential treatment to VE over GoodGuys, they're both important distributors of the product. If GoodGuys asked for part of the initial shipment I'm sure they got some. Whether they bothered asking is an open question though.

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegolf68 is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegolf68 Find more posts by joegolf68 Add joegolf68 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegolf68

Just spoke to Good Guy's corporate. They expect the units to be delivered to the stores no later than 11 April. He said they are usually conservative on their estimates.

I have mixed emotions. I would like to get mine earlier, but then again, with the Good Guys, if I get a DOA, or any other problems, I will get an immediate replacement. The GG's matched VE for price and I added the three, or five, (can't remember) insurance option. I've used this in the past and like just taking in a unit and getting a new unit in return. Three months from now, I will be glad if I get the GG unit. But it will be a miserable ten days of listening to others, if, in fact, they get their units as "Promised."

I certainly wouldn't pay the extra price some idiot is doing on EBay. Probably by September, you can get one of these things for around $600 street price.

Doug, my Voom comment about emailing DirecTV paid off. I won't go into details, but let's just say after one email and one phone conversation, I am getting Hi-Def for free for the next YEAR!!!!!! That was the point, competition is good and consumers need to know how to use it to their advantage.

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 03:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by joegolf68
Just spoke to Good Guy's corporate. They expect the units to be delivered to the stores no later than 11 April. He said they are usually conservative on their estimates.

I have mixed emotions. I would like to get mine earlier, but then again, with the Good Guys, if I get a DOA, or any other problems, I will get an immediate replacement. The GG's matched VE for price and I added the three, or five, (can't remember) insurance option. I've used this in the past and like just taking in a unit and getting a new unit in return. Three months from now, I will be glad if I get the GG unit. But it will be a miserable ten days of listening to others, if, in fact, they get their units as "Promised."

I certainly wouldn't pay the extra price some idiot is doing on EBay. Probably by September, you can get one of these things for around $600 street price.

Doug, my Voom comment about emailing DirecTV paid off. I won't go into details, but let's just say after one email and one phone conversation, I am getting Hi-Def for free for the next YEAR!!!!!! That was the point, competition is good and consumers need to know how to use it to their advantage.

I'm glad to hear you're happy now. It's more fun around here with happy people!

The problem with your reasoning on the Good Guys deal though is that you're assuming Good Guys (or any retailer) would actually have units sitting on a shelf for you to be able to exchange yours for. I wouldn't count on that initially... if any of us receive a DOA out of the first half dozen shipments from the factory, we're probably going to be waiting a little bit for a replacement.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

I don't think you have any idea how close those Samsung TV's were to being shipped to power buyers before a big customer came in and hijacked the shipment.

I didn't restate the proof, its in the other thread. FWIW. Plenty of substance there, more than the conjecture you guys are going on.

I just get tired of hearing the "he ordered first". Maybe nobody else ordered. But when they ordered doesn't matter one iota.

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Yes, it's still somewhat conjecture. But based on more substance, I think, than your statement. Of course, it's further validated by the dates different retailers are quoting for delivery.

Last edited by turls on 03-27-2004 at 03:57 AM

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 03:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by turls
I just get tired of hearing the "he ordered first". Maybe nobody else ordered. But that doesn't matter one iota.
There's a whole lot more to why he's highest on the list to receive shipments of units than "he ordered first." But he also ordered first.

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Ortiz is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 03:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Ortiz Find more posts by David Ortiz Add David Ortiz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Ortiz
~3 GHz Club

One thing I like about the goodguys is the 24 months same-as-cash financing.

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 03:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

I hadn't finished my edits, you're quick. Has he paid in full? If not, the place in line is in jeopardy.

I don't think anybody on this board really knows everything that is going on on the phone between the big stores and DirecTV/Hughes. These internet pre-orders really piss off the big guys, and if they want to muck it up, they probably can.

I speak from experience. Next?

Last edited by turls on 03-27-2004 at 04:04 AM

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 04:15 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by turls
I hadn't finished my edits, you're quick. Has he paid in full? If not, the place in line is in jeopardy.

I don't think anybody on this board really knows everything that is going on on the phone between the big stores and DirecTV/Hughes. These internet pre-orders really piss off the big guys, and if they want to muck it up, they probably can.

I speak from experience. Next?

I have fairly good information about what the big retail stores are trying to do to mess up deliveries to those who are taking pre-orders online. And from that feel fairly certain DirecTV recognizes getting the units into the hands of end users is the priority right now, not satisfying the egotistical demands of the retail outlets, though certainly they're trying to find some balance so everyone stays moderately happy about it. But the last thing DirecTV wants is these things languishing in a third-party warehouse or on a store shelf when someone wants it in their house, hooked up to their TV, and is holding their money up to be taken by someone who can deliver.

There are some wide eyes at DirecTV over the demand for the unit right now. Which is a good thing.

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cudahy is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 04:34 AM
Cudahy

Called my salesman at GoodGuys today. He say's they're getting 1000 units on April 10th. When I told him about VE getting 200 next Tuesday and that I had an early pre-order in January he said he would investigate and get back to me. Waiting.

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

flapbreaker is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for flapbreaker Find more posts by flapbreaker Add flapbreaker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flapbreaker

quote:
Originally posted by Cudahy
Called my salesman at GoodGuys today. He say's they're getting 1000 units on April 10th. When I told him about VE getting 200 next Tuesday and that I had an early pre-order in January he said he would investigate and get back to me. Waiting.

I got a similar story from a call to my local goodguys in Oregon. The computer had April 10th (I think that was the delivery date) and it showed several hundred pre-orders and 1000 Tivo's for the entire goodguys system. But when I pressed him on the 1000 if they were definately getting all of those he really could confirm. He just said that's how many Goodguys requested.

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie
TiVo Forum Special Member

Well I am sure Robert will get his allotment.

POST #113 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sonnyducks is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 06:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sonnyducks Find more posts by sonnyducks Add sonnyducks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sonnyducks

Does anybody really think these things are going to sit on a shelf at BB? NOPE. Somebody sees them at BB...posts it here...gone by the end of the day.

Question: If HD Tivo was at BB/CC right now...and you are waiting on a pre-order (w/ a non-refundable deposit) ...would you say screw the deposit I want me some HD Tivo? I think most of us would.

Granted none of us really know what is going to happen....they will get here when the get here. At least some of you already have HD. My wife can't live w/o TIVO so I decided to pass on any type of HD receiver until this bad boy comes out. I'M GETTING HD FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! YOU THINK I'M NOT EXCITED.

POST #114 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

whsbuss is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 06:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for whsbuss Find more posts by whsbuss Add whsbuss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whsbuss
Advanced Member

I just placed my order with the local Tweeter and they are scheduled for delivery by 4/15. I also purchased a new Samsung HLN467W....

Boy did I make that sales associates day!! Nice commission I'm sure.

Pioneer DVR-520H
Sony NS775V DVD

POST #115 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 06:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

> Question: If HD Tivo was at BB/CC right now...and you are waiting on a pre-order (w/ a non-refundable deposit) ...would you say screw the deposit I want me some HD Tivo? I think most of us would.

VE specifically said that if one can get an HR10-250 before they can ship, they will refund the deposit. Nothing lost there.

> I'M GETTING HD FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! YOU THINK I'M NOT EXCITED.

Well, I HAD an HD receiver for the past two years, and I've sold it in anticipation for HR10-250 and I am without any HD. Do you think you are more excited than I am? I am having a widthdrawal problem here!

EDIT: Actually, my # of posts here were below 60 around January this year. Look what it has done to me.

Hong.

POST #116 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sonnyducks is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sonnyducks Find more posts by sonnyducks Add sonnyducks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sonnyducks

Hey whsbuss,
2 questions
1. Did you happen to find out how many preorders were there for your Tweeter's regeion?
2. How long before Philly fans turn on Terrell Owens?

POST #117 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegolf68 is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 08:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegolf68 Find more posts by joegolf68 Add joegolf68 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegolf68

Here is the toll free number for the Good Guys Coporate. You can call for free and tell them how much you want your HD ASAP. If enough people call them Monday morning, they will listen. I called them today and suggest everyone with a GG order call them first thing Monday morning! Who knows the possibilities!!!??

800 229-4897 good guys

I'll repost this on Sunday and Monday so we get the phone calls rolling!

POST #118 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

whsbuss is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for whsbuss Find more posts by whsbuss Add whsbuss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whsbuss
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by sonnyducks
Hey whsbuss,
2 questions
1. Did you happen to find out how many preorders were there for your Tweeter's regeion?
2. How long before Philly fans turn on Terrell Owens?

I am #38 on the pre-order list for Tweeter in the Tri-State area (PA/NJ/DE). He also mentioned that it may be in by 4/11 but almost certainly(??) by 4/15 - we shall see.

T.O - I give it about 4 missed catches before the fans turn on him. The only good news is 1.) FOX will be broadcasting full HD by then and 2.) I get to see his misses in HD!!!

Pioneer DVR-520H
Sony NS775V DVD

POST #119 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivo Neophyte is offline Old Post 03-27-2004 08:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivo Neophyte Find more posts by Tivo Neophyte Add Tivo Neophyte to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivo Neophyte

Hey JoeGolf68...

quote:
Originally posted by joegolf68

How did you get Good Guys to match the VE Price discount. My "Good Guy" would not.

Thanks

POST #120 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged