TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Humax TiVo photo <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 07:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

it was probably a decision on an amount much greater than $2.50. That would indeed be a no brainer. I think it was a decision based on the entire core of the box design in trying to make a box they can sell for the lowest price.

see this link for some detail
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...850#post1667850

so I think it amounted to, we will reduce sales this much due to no Ethernet port and use a more flexible USB adapter approach

or we will reduce sells this much due to added design time and expense to include ethernet port

so complain all you want, but to me I am more focused on wanting a TiVoToGo package and eventually a TiVo box with a builtin DVD recorder that does -/+ and has a great picture from TiVo to DVD no matter the recording size/Quality.

anyone seen a HUMAX do its thing yet ??

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dkroboth is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dkroboth Find more posts by dkroboth Add dkroboth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dkroboth

I hadn't remembered Dan203's post. In light of that, USB was definately the way to go.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

quote:
Originally posted by dkroboth
I hadn't remembered Dan203's post. In light of that, USB was definately the way to go.

Actually choosing the right chipset to begin with would have been the way to go.

A question: Doesn't the PCI bus support more than one device?

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 11:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by DCIFRTHS
Actually choosing the right chipset to begin with would have been the way to go.

You're assuming that there was/is a more appropriate chipset that met their cost requirements.

quote:
A question: Doesn't the PCI bus support more than one device?

Most do -- that's kind of the idea of a bus. There's usually a maximum device count, though, and the USB ports are likely only one device on the bus. There would be other devices in the TiVo already (like the ATA drive controller) that also sit on the bus. There may have only been a single "slot" left for USB or Ethernet, not a single slot total.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 11:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Wilkinson
You're assuming that there was/is a more appropriate chipset that met their cost requirements.

Correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Wilkinson
.....There may have only been a single "slot" left for USB or Ethernet, not a single slot total. [/B]

Okay. That makes sense.

Thanks.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 12:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by dmdeane
The point of my dialogue posted above is that non-TiVo users aren't interested in hearing about our "backdoor" features, tricks, tweaks, and other excuses for why the dang thing just doesn't work out of the box like it should.

It does work out of the box! Your friends, with their home networks and no phone line, just happen to be in the minority of the population. The vast majority of people in this country have the exact opposite setup, and can easily connect a TiVo by simply plugging it into the nearest phone jack.

Not only that but USB does have one major advantage over a built in Ethernet adapter... cheap and easy wirelesss connections. With a built in Ethernet adapter your friends could easily connect to a wired network, but if they wanted to connect to their wireless network they would have to buy an expensive wireless bridge ($100+), configure it via a PC, then connect it to the Ethernet port. With a USB port you can buy a cheap USB adapter (~$25), connect it directly to the TiVo, enter a few settings via the TiVo interface and be good to go. This is especially convenient when dealing with customers who don't have a home network, or even PC, but still want to take advantage of features like Multi Room Viewing. They can buy a couple of USB adapters, configure the TiVos to talk directly to one another, and be ready to go. In that same situation, with only an Ethernet port, they would be forced to either run a cable, or buy two bridges at $100+ each and try to find some way to configure them.

Now I know what you're going to say... "Just put both in there". Well TiVoPony has specifically told us that that is not an option due to space issues. Not only that but I believe the chip they're using only has one PCI bus, so even if they didn't have a space issue they still wouldn't be able to add both.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 04:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

I don't understand, for at the most a few hours of extra time, somebody would rather have years of an inferior product?

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by smak
I don't understand, for at the most a few hours of extra time, somebody would rather have years of an inferior product?

-smak-

ReplayTV is far from an objectively 'inferior' product.

Not only do many RTV users feel that the product is far superior to TiVo, RTV is demonstrably, objectively superior at some tasks....many of which have to do with networking....coincidence? NOPE!

And, I have to add, Pony's assertion that the back panel of the TiVo is too crowded to add an Ethernet port sounds just silly to me.
Not only is there enough room, IMO, but TiVo could do the cool thing and make their boxes standard width - then they'd have lots of extra space.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by Crrink
ReplayTV is far from an objectively 'inferior' product.

Not only do many RTV users feel that the product is far superior to TiVo, RTV is demonstrably, objectively superior at some tasks....many of which have to do with networking....coincidence? NOPE!

ahh, but the demonstratibly superior things have little to do with recording a show. The conflict resolution between two Replays is flawed - which only beats TiVo as TiVo will not put that out until it actually works

and since with a GOOD USB 2.0 adapter people are streaming high quality shows in real time or better on a TiVo- than that adavantage is slipping away fast.

if you want to go wireless - then TiVo is actually easier out of the box since you use a USB dongle and skip the wireless bridge.

what other superior tasks are there ?
I think the ethernet port is a real non issue after you get the box setup and spend the 25$ to get a good USB 2.0 adapter.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

Back to Humax. I see it uses the same peanut remote, which makes me think the guts are the same as other SA Series 2. Anyone know where this is manufactured/assembled?

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

While I don't dispute that the Humax SA guts are likely the same as other SA Series 2's, I hadn't seen any info related to the remote -- do you have a link?

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
ahh, but the demonstratibly superior things have little to do with recording a show. The conflict resolution between two Replays is flawed - which only beats TiVo as TiVo will not put that out until it actually works

and since with a GOOD USB 2.0 adapter people are streaming high quality shows in real time or better on a TiVo- than that adavantage is slipping away fast.

if you want to go wireless - then TiVo is actually easier out of the box since you use a USB dongle and skip the wireless bridge.

what other superior tasks are there ?
I think the ethernet port is a real non issue after you get the box setup and spend the 25$ to get a good USB 2.0 adapter.

Yes, recording shows reliably was more important to me, and that's why I have two TiVo's and didn't buy a Replay until the $150 w/ activation SNAFU happened.

You note that TiVo is almost as good at show sharing after you go through a whole lot of hassle to get it that way, and you prove my point for me - no comparable hassle to networking RTV's.
It's been said that TiVo won't enable USB 2.0 support since some S2's don't have the right hardware. I don't know if this is true or not, but even if it is, RTV allows real-time random access to the HDD - meaning that you can stream a show and skip through it instantly. There's no waiting for the disk to fill up enough to enable skipping like there is with TiVo - no matter how fast you get a show transfer going.

Like I said, I obviously prefer the pro's of TiVo to those of RTV, like most of us here. But to claim that RTV is inferior is a bit silly.
Inferior for YOU (and me) perhaps.
Inferior for EVERYONE? Hardly.

p.s. and now I feel I've gone and made too much
out of Smak's comment - sorry.
I hope Humax builds a better TiVo too - that would be cool.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 01:26 AM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

ok crrink,
I think we both covered the topic from our own perspective well enough for anyone else to make their own decision and since you are not a Replay diehard I need to convert I will get back to HUMAX
---

so here are some links on HUMAX

I see no mention of an actual model for sale of the TiVo/DVD recorder model yet nor a picture of the remote.

Hey UK readers - notice that HUMAX has a presence in the UK and there is talk of a freeview tuner TiVo model there. foloow the links.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk

http://www.emedialive.com/Articles/...&ArticleID=8196

forum discussion on UK TiVo rumors.
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board...8712c408ds.html

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
forum discussion on UK TiVo rumors.
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board...8712c408ds.html

That looks like reporting of the rumors started in our own UK forum. Even the poll looks similar.

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 01:42 AM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
That looks like reporting of the rumors started in our own UK forum. Even the poll looks similar.

I live in US so have not followed this much. There was an email purported to be from HUMAX sales at that link. Curious if it was considered valid or not. Seems kind of strange to me that there is not much activity from HUMAX on all of this as they are supposedly going to reelase in the next 3 months. Wondering if they are having problems getting a product ready for release ? I would really like to see some more TiVo/DVD recorder combos come on the market.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by ccwf

What's "Freeview"?

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

quote:
Originally posted by Crrink
Like I said, I obviously prefer the pro's of TiVo to those of RTV, like most of us here. But to claim that RTV is inferior is a bit silly.
Inferior for YOU (and me) perhaps.
Inferior for EVERYONE? Hardly.

p.s. and now I feel I've gone and made too much
out of Smak's comment - sorry.
I hope Humax builds a better TiVo too - that would be cool.

Just to clarify my comments, dmdeane basically said he told his friends that Tivo was superior to Replay, they probably took his word for that, but still bought replay because of the extra hour that Tivo would make them go through on setup. Which is why I wondered why an hour would make them choose a product they've been told is inferior.

-smak-

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:29 AM
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
What's "Freeview"?

Don't know much about it myself, but:

<http://www.freeview.co.uk/aboutus/index.html>

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:30 AM
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
What's "Freeview"?

Dan

a UK "cable" setup where you buy a box with the right tuner and get the channels (30 I think) without paying a monthly bill. Not much more idea than that on it as of course I never watched any of it. But of Course DVRs with a freeview tuner in them are sought by those who want freeview.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

Somebody from the UK should chime in, but I believe Freeview is the UK's DTV—digital, standard resolution channels delivered over the air. It's widely deployed but not available everywhere (depending on reception). Most channels are free, but some premium channels are imminent with UK TiVos already prepped to support them. To date, mostly viewed using receivers similar to cable boxes, but some devices with integrated Freeview support are starting to appear.

Of particular interest is an announced (but currently vaporware and not having anything to do with TiVo) Freeview+DVD recorder combo, which raises the possibility of legal all-digital recording with no analog conversion steps.

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged