TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Burning VERY full DVD-R media <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bsnelson is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson
TiVo Forum Special Member

Question Burning VERY full DVD-R media

I've been cleaning out my HD of some shows that needed archiving, and in part of that process, I've been trying to make some DVD-Rs that are REALLY full. For example, the media that I'm using (and maybe it's all the same, unlike the CD-R world) holds 4,707,xxx,xxx bytes. There have been a couple that I've done that are 4,705,xxx,xxx bytes, and others close to that.

My issue: It seems I've made a lot of coasters trying to do these really full ones. I'm running a new DVD writer (NEC ND-2500A) but I'm using Ritek G04 media from the same batch that I'd made almost 100% good discs from with my old writer (Pioneer A05). The discs burn OK, but one of two things happen: (a) They play OK in the DVD drive on my PC, but my standalone player says "can't play disc" (i.e. won't even bring up the menu), or (b) the PC player says that the disc seems damaged and can't be played but only when I'm trying to play that very last bit.

Should I suspect questionable media? To put actual numbers to it, I've made probably 5 coasters and 5 working discs at this size. I'll usually just try again right after the failure, and the next one will work.

Sigh. I just wish there was more consensus/hard facts on what media is REALLY good.

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Y0SHI is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Y0SHI Find more posts by Y0SHI Add Y0SHI to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Y0SHI

I think you would be having the same problem no matter what media you were using. A lot of players have trouble reading the information that is on the far outer edge of the disc. I like to keep my discs around 4,3XXX,XXX bytes. Anything larger than the the data at the end is hit and miss.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged