TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> CBS HD and Direct TV <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TomWade is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TomWade Find more posts by TomWade Add TomWade to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomWade

Thanks, Phil!

That's *VERY* encouraging!

(How long did you wait after D* initiated the waiver request to send the e-mail?)

Tom

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Packertivo is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 09:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Packertivo Find more posts by Packertivo Add Packertivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Packertivo
Packer/Tivo Fan

I get Sacramento locals on DirecTv. I called them to ask about getting the CBS high def channel. They said I would need a waiver. They put it in and immediately said KOVR(Sacramento) approved it. They said I would have to wait for KPIX(San Francisco) which is an O&O station.

KPIX denied my waiver. I called back again today and they said I was denied. I tried to expplain that KPIX was an O&O market and I should receive the high def CBS. They just kept repeating over and over again I was denied.

I then asked to speak to a supervisor in the special projects division, he came back with the same story. He said I need approval from both stations to get the national feed.

I said the only thing he can do is put in the waiver request again which I had him do. He said legally they cannot give me the channel unless the waiver is granted. I am very frustrated at this point. Any more advice anyone can give?

HR10-250 #55 from GG

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 09:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie
TiVo Forum Special Member

Angry

(vent mode on) The current law is a joke! I have a CBS affiliate that has its digital located at 2! Everything under the blue moon can cause dropouts. I tried applying for a waiver with DTV for channel 80 and I have to go through 3 of them to get it. My channel 2 is 42 miles away but the other 2 are 67 miles away. I can pick the 2 that are 67 miles away very rarely but not enough for consistency. I believe we should be able to get HD National feeds as long as we subscribe to our own locals. However most of the pork belly politicians don't think so... (/vent mode off)

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Packertivo is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 10:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Packertivo Find more posts by Packertivo Add Packertivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Packertivo
Packer/Tivo Fan

I e-mailed the general manager at KPIX tonight. Hopefully I will get a response. Am I correctly understanding the rule? KOVR is non O&O but granted me a waiver. KPIX is O&O but denied my waiver request.

I thought that would qualify me for the high def CBS automatically.

HR10-250 #55 from GG

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GFJay is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 07:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GFJay Find more posts by GFJay Add GFJay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GFJay
Xbox Live Addict

I've done the same thing w/ KXJB in Fargo, ND. Haven't heard back fromthe station manager yet, but hopefully he'll approve it. He also manages the NMC affiliate, so I told him that I wouldn't be bothered if he denied the waiver for NBC (as all I really care about is getting CBS HD). My locals will be online on June 17. If D* launches HD for other networks I might go through the process of trying to get waivers again (as my local stations aren't planning until launch DTV until late this year at the earliest).

J-

quote:
Originally posted by Phil T
I had no problem with KGWN - CBS Cheyenne. DirecTv requested the waiver and I followed up with an e-mail to the station General Manager. I was approved within 3 days.

You can get the e-mail address from the station web site.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lark is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 08:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lark Find more posts by lark Add lark to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lark

Packer -- you're caught in a very weird situation. I believe the automatic waivers granted by the O&Os technically only apply to their "markets." However, the SHVA restrictions apply to any viewer who receives a signal of grade B intensity from the station. Accordingly, I think Directv may technically be right that since you're not in the San Francisco's market, you need a waiver from them.

They should almost certainly give you one, once they know your local station has given you one. I would just make sure you speak to someone at the San Francisco station and explain the situation until he understands it. They get so many of the same kind of requests they are on autopilot some of the time.

Incidentally, for those hoping for waivers from local stations, I would say a few things. First, if you've been unsuccessful, try again at the beginning of the year. Make the request in the end of December. Second, many of the non O&Os are a little pissed that the mother ship has granted blanket waivers for the O&Os, which they see as something as a sell out. There are some non-O&Os whose view is "over my dead body." If you're in one of those markets, all I can say is I'm sorry. If you emphasize to them that you're only doing it to get High Def they may be a little more sympathetic, but if they are up and operating an OTA HD station and you don't live right behind a mountain, they are going to give you a hard time. The bottom line is that you shouldn't quit until you talk to the station itself, but even that's not going to work.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jcnewman is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 09:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jcnewman Find more posts by jcnewman Add jcnewman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcnewman

quote:
Originally posted by ozone

Anyone have both feeds without waivers? If so, where do you live?

Basically, I would prefer to have CBS East over CBS West, so that I can record primetime shows earlier in the day, and free up my 2 tuners for primetime on the other networks. Perhaps they will give me CBS East and deactivate CBS West??? Wishful thinking I'm sure.

Thanks
-Chris

chris:
yesterday the csr told me i could get both if i paid roughly 1.50 more. i passed and asked if i could get the west coast (i live in chicago and east coast is the default) to do exactly what you desire. he said sure, no problem. excited i get home and turn on the west coast hd. no dice. east coast hd was at least activated. i'm gonna try again when i get around to it...let me know if you have any luck.
-jeff

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pemintr is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 03:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pemintr Find more posts by pemintr Add pemintr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pemintr

I live in the Bay Area but had a similar situation with KPIX and KOVR. KOVR granted me the waiver immediately, but the DTV reps would not turn on the CBS feed. It took about a month, four calls and two specific requests to ask for a KPIX waiver for it to finally go through.

I only get the LA feed which if fine and did not have the $1.50 fee added.

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd76 is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 07:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd76 Find more posts by Todd76 Add Todd76 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd76

quote:
Originally posted by jcnewman
thanks to the post i called up and got CBSHD turned on. i'm in chicago too. i asked if i could get the left coast feed and they said sure. now i can record more tv!...essentially 3 programs in the same time slot!

Huh?

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

raduma is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 08:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for raduma Find more posts by raduma Add raduma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
raduma

Question for you all. I currentely live in LA, and get the LA locals and the CDA hd-feed. I'm also in the process of moving to Seattle, which is not an O&O area. To be honest I really do not want to give up my CBS-HD feed. Now hypothetically, if I didn't notify Directv of my move, what would happen? Would I keep getting my locals from LA in Seattle? (Which would be perfect, I want all the local team sports games).

Thanks
raduma

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

etsolow is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 08:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for etsolow Find more posts by etsolow Add etsolow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
etsolow
Don't Try

quote:
Originally posted by wilsonc
Although Fox in Milwaukee is O&O, CBS is not. WDJT is owned by Weigel Broadcasting Company. This is what is giving some people in the Chicago DMA problems with automatically getting the CBS-HD feed from Directv.
Ack, I didn't read this far soon enough! I just called D* and they confirm that there are no blanket waivers for WDJT in Milwaukee. Guess I'll find out in 45 days or so whether I can get CBS-HD from D*.

E

Efax trading thread: I have a 208, need a 608.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 08:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie

Do they send a letter when they deny you?

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Packertivo is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 08:59 AM
Packertivo
Packer/Tivo Fan

I received a postcard from Directv about 1 1/2 weeks later stating KPIX denied my request.

HR10-250 #55 from GG

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 09:04 AM
Kamakzie

How long did it take them from you putting in the request with D* to the denial?

quote:
Originally posted by Packertivo
I received a postcard from Directv about 1 1/2 weeks later stating KPIX denied my request.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fredfa is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 09:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fredfa Find more posts by fredfa Add fredfa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fredfa

raduma:
The LA locals are on a spot beam which you wouldn't be able to get in Seattle.
If you don't tell them about your move, you should be able to get CBS HD(and, soon, Fox HD) from the national feeds.
If you get the FSN regional sports packages (plus the appropriate NFL, NBA, NHL and/or MLB packages) you should be able to see all the LA teams you want.
By the way, Seattle probably has the best OTA HD stations in the country.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Packertivo is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 09:13 AM
Packertivo
Packer/Tivo Fan

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakzie
How long did it take them from you putting in the request with D* to the denial?

1 1/2 weeks.

HR10-250 #55 from GG

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 09:15 AM
Kamakzie

Hmmmm not to bad. I should get my rejection postcard next week sometime.

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Phil T is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 09:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Phil T Find more posts by Phil T Add Phil T to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil T

quote:
Originally posted by TomWade
Thanks, Phil!

That's *VERY* encouraging!

(How long did you wait after D* initiated the waiver request to send the e-mail?)

Tom

Tom it was just a day or two. If you log on to DirecTV's web site it will show CBS HD pending. I e-mailed them when I saw that. The day I got the responce from KGWN, CBS HD was on when I got home from work.

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 09:32 AM
Kamakzie

I just checked mine and it says "CBS HD Eligibility Pending" Must be it changes to approved or denied?

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShiningBengal is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 09:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBengal Find more posts by ShiningBengal Add ShiningBengal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

CBSE vs local CBS O&O

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who gets the CBSE national HD feed. But I don't watch it! The PQ on the local OTA is significantly better, and many programs that are merely PCM stereo on the national satellite feed are DD on my local.

It is really disappointing to see how much DirecTV's compression robs the PQ of HD's clarity and color saturation. Very evident on my A-B comparisons on my LG LSS 3200A. My signal strength on CBSE is 92, so that is not a factor.

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged