TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Tivo doesn't send a confirmation <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
macohenks is offline Old Post 03-31-2004 05:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for macohenks Find more posts by macohenks Add macohenks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macohenks

Tivo doesn't send a confirmation

Hi,

Just today, I've noticed that my Tivo receives my recording selections from Tivo Central, but doesn't send a confirmation back to my computer. Anyone else experiencing this? What's the problem?

macohenks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivortex is offline Old Post 03-31-2004 05:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivortex Find more posts by Tivortex Add Tivortex to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivortex
I like cheese

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing today.
Did you notice last week when the TiVo Central Online web site was down for the better part of a day ?
And to think I paid extra for this.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macohenks is offline Old Post 03-31-2004 05:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for macohenks Find more posts by macohenks Add macohenks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macohenks

I was out of town last week and didn't notice- but it was also down last night for some time, so yeah, I'm wondering.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 03-31-2004 05:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

We apologize for the downtime and are working to restore functionality as quickly as we can. Our uptime is normally 100%; we were down for some time on Thursday evening and Friday morning due to a planned upgrade. We've separately been hit by an unrelated server outage starting yesterday and continuing for a bit today.

Separately, we're also aware that in some cases the second confirmation e-mail is not delivered, and hope to address that issue in the near future.

Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivortex is offline Old Post 03-31-2004 06:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivortex Find more posts by Tivortex Add Tivortex to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivortex
I like cheese

Well thanks you for the timely update Stephen. I got on here to bitch about the website being down again, only to find your explanation. It makes the outage somewhat more palatable. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macohenks is offline Old Post 03-31-2004 06:29 AM
macohenks

Thanks for the information...

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivortex is offline Old Post 03-31-2004 08:37 AM
Tivortex
I like cheese

Now I'm miffed again. I got home from work, turned on the TV, went to the messages menu to check up on the HMO requests that did not send reply mail and my TiVo hung, big time. Totally unresponsive to any controls. Frozen completely. No doubt due to this HMO business. How disappointing.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macohenks is offline Old Post 04-01-2004 02:37 AM
macohenks

Still not getting e-mail confirmations one day later. When will this problem be fixed, do you suppose?

Thanks in advance.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 04-01-2004 04:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Tivortex, sorry to hear that you're unit got stuck, but the systems are entirely separate, and there's no way a server issue or a problem with the Home Media Option scheduled recordings could affect your DVR itself. Please try rebooting; sorry again that this happened, but please accept my assurances that the two events were unrelated.

Macohenks, unfortunately we're still investigating why the second confirmation e-mail is not being sent for some customers. (This issue too is unrelated to the downtime we had on Monday and for an hour on Tuesday. Until we understand the issue, I can't give you a timeframe for it being fixed.

Best regards,
Stephen

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macohenks is offline Old Post 04-01-2004 04:46 AM
macohenks

I appreciate your fast correspondence. Can you typically predict snafus, or do customers have to identify issues? It would be a nice gesture to provide some warning to customers if problems were already known.

Thanks again!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivortex is offline Old Post 04-01-2004 06:53 AM
Tivortex
I like cheese

Dear Mr. TiVoOpsMgr

I have rebooted several times, each and every time TiVo freezes when going to the message screen. Even the front panel DVD buttons won't work.

I guess that feature (messages) is down for the count. Perhaps it is unrelated to the HMO foulup, but the timing is certainly suggestive. Flawless operation, until HMO goes out to lunch with e-mail and messaging problems. Mmm... but I have not heard anyone else griping so I suppose it's just me. Darn it.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 05:09 AM
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Macohenks, we strive for 100% uptime. On the rare occasions when we have planned outages (e.g., due to a planned hardware upgrade), we try to minimize downtime and try to schedule the outage so that the fewest number of customers are affected (based on our analysis of TiVo Central Online usage logs). We put up a warning page with an expected ETA. On the rare occasions when we have unplanned outages (e.g., due to a hardware failure or networking issue), we're often busy trying to bring the system back up as quickly as possible and don't usually think to post a note here (we do put up a warning page with an expected ETA in that case as well). Because of that philosophy, we haven't prioritized posting a notice here or proactively sending e-mail. We're definitely open to feedback about how we should handle that situation. Please let us know how we're doing. I agree that our uptime at the end of March was not satisfactory, but I would like to point out that our uptime in the rest of 2004 was 100% (and 2003 was over 99.9% uptime as well). We are still working on the confirmation e-mail issue, which is intermittent.

Tivortex, sorry to hear about this issue. As far as I'm aware, we've never heard of anyone having their unit crash just by going to the messages screen. Can you please e-mail me (estephen@tivo.com) with your contact information and your TiVo Service Number? I'll get a customer support engineer to examine your unit's logs. I still believe it is unrelated to any Home Media Option feature.

Best regards,
Stephen

Edit: 2 typos fixed

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr on 04-05-2004 at 09:32 AM

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 09:31 AM
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

We're still working on the confirmation e-mail issue (and it doesn't look like it will be resolved quickly, I'm sorry to say, since the problem is intermittent and we still aren't able to isolate the cause of the problem).

Separately, Tivortex wrote to say that "after several days of not working, the message screen suddenly started working today, and all of the past messages were there."

We'll keep an eye on this issue.

Thanks,
S.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macohenks is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 08:03 PM
macohenks

The e-mail confirmation still doesn't come to my computer, just to keep you informed.

Hopefully, this situation will improve. I'm not satisfied...additionally, tivo central was down again the majority of the evening (April 4th).

Thanks for your communication-

macohenks

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivortex is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 03:31 AM
Tivortex
I like cheese

Sounds like they have got some problems, but at least they are trying to keep us up to date and help as much as they can.

It's true that my problem solved itself sometime after TiVoOpsMgr offered to have his techs look at it. Even though I did not need to take him up on his offer, I was very impressed with the general level of support and concern for my issue. He even responded to my e-mail on SUNDAY! You just don't see that happen very often.

A public thank you to TiVoOpsMgr !

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 02:22 AM
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

We continue to investigate the issue of the confirmation e-mail not being sent. My apologies to those of you who are affected.

One aspect we've uncovered is that members of a particular beta program (who know who they are) will definitely NOT receive the confirmation e-mail.

We have seen a few other cases where non-beta customers have been affected. Our records show that this problem is intermittent, and that the vast majority of e-mails are being delivered normally. We're still investigating why it fails intermittently. If you are affected by this issue, can you please e-mail me (estephen@tivo.com) with your e-mail address that you use for the TiVo Central Online login, the TiVo Service Number that you used to schedule the recording, and then the details of what show you recorded? If you can forward the first confirmation e-mail to me, that would be very useful.

Thanks for your help, and apologies again to those who have been affected by this issue.

As for uptime, we have resolved the hardware issues that were affecting TiVo Central Online, and have experienced 100% uptime in April per my records. We will strive to keep that the case.

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
Stephen

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr on 04-09-2004 at 12:48 PM

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macohenks is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 02:35 AM
macohenks

Thanks, Stephen. I sent the information that you requested to your individual e-mail address. I appreciate any followup that you can provide.

Best,
macohenks

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivortex is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 09:11 PM
Tivortex
I like cheese

Information E-mailed.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

macohenks is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 01:58 AM
macohenks

Tivo update

Hi Stephen,

I'm still not getting those helpful confirmations back through e-mail. If you have the time, I'd appreciate an update.

Thanks,
Matt

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

You can add me to this list of people with this problem. I tried two remote schedulings today and didn't receive the 2nd confirmation email for either of them.

The last time I used remote scheduling, a few months ago, it worked fine but apparently it isn't now. I'm sending my info to TivoOpsMgr.

Oh and I was never a beta-tester.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged