TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> HR10-250 prototype photographs <<<

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dswallow is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

HR10-250 prototype photographs

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18
TiVo Forum Special Member

By the looks of it adding a second drive could be tricky, if that is the final design!

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet

I'm ignorant on TiVo drive-adding (first TiVo for me!), but from an engineering/PC POV, could you stack them? Or would that be too much heat in one place?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

k2ue is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for k2ue Find more posts by k2ue Add k2ue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k2ue

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
By the looks of it adding a second drive could be tricky, if that is the final design!

Yeah, an easy way to add a USB2.0 external would be the ticket -- or maybe a little card that was IDE to USB2.0 or FireWire, allowing an external drive to APPEAR as the 2nd internal drive.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sdf777 is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sdf777 Find more posts by sdf777 Add sdf777 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sdf777

Hard to tell, but a second drive may stack on top of the first.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

oosik77 is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for oosik77 Visit oosik77's homepage! Find more posts by oosik77 Add oosik77 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oosik77
TiVo Maniac

I'm leaning to putting the second drive in an external case. Then the heat is outta the way for sure. Just gotta be sure the connectors will reach.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tom in OH is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tom in OH Find more posts by Tom in OH Add Tom in OH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom in OH

It looks like the black coax cables might also be upgraded fairly easily. Can't tell for sure but it appears they simply plug in opposed to being soldered.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebonovic is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic

quote:
Originally posted by k2ue
Yeah, an easy way to add a USB2.0 external would be the ticket -- or maybe a little card that was IDE to USB2.0 or FireWire, allowing an external drive to APPEAR as the 2nd internal drive.

Not as easy as it sounds...

For one you would have to worry about when the external drive loses power or connectivity, while the primary unit is still powered up.

What if it was recording to that outside drive at that time?...
ect..

It would be good, but I can't see it happening.

Earl

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewba is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewba Find more posts by drewba Add drewba to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewba

Probably not surprising, but the layout is entirely different from my standalone Series 2.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18

I would personally be worried about putting a 2nd one in due to heat.. Every HD receiver I've ever seen has put out a good amount of heat.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vstone is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vstone Find more posts by vstone Add vstone to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vstone

quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
Not as easy as it sounds...

For one you would have to worry about when the external drive loses power or connectivity, while the primary unit is still powered up.

What if it was recording to that outside drive at that time?...
ect..

It would be good, but I can't see it happening.

I use a UPS anyway.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteveHoltam is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteveHoltam Find more posts by SteveHoltam Add SteveHoltam to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteveHoltam

I stacked my HDVR2's 2nd drive, with just a pencil stuck between them so they were not flush together. I also never fully closed the case either, rather just sat it on top so that any heat could rise out easier. It never gets moved sitting on the rack so I dont worry about things moving around....

Steve

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dave3 is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dave3 Find more posts by dave3 Add dave3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dave3
2 yr old twins, help

I like the external ide idea. REplace the ide cable that came with the tivo with a new longer one and some how fish the cable out of the unit and hook up your additional drive externaly. For power use an old computer power supply that you have laying around, I got about 3 or 4.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fletch is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 12:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fletch Find more posts by Fletch Add Fletch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fletch

You could probably fish a power cable out the back just as easily (or easier) than the IDE cable.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

k2ue is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for k2ue Find more posts by k2ue Add k2ue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k2ue

quote:
Originally posted by Fletch
You could probably fish a power cable out the back just as easily (or easier) than the IDE cable.

But since the higher speed datapaths and extra tuners suck more power, and the Power Supply doesn't look much bigger, there may not be enough for two drives.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivoupgrade is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivoupgrade Visit tivoupgrade's homepage! Find more posts by tivoupgrade Add tivoupgrade to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivoupgrade
PTVupgrade, Sponsor

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18

Might not be; we don't have a unit here yet, but we may be able to repurpose our existing add-on drive bracket by rotating it 90 degrees. Tough to tell from the photos though; we are still awaiting our pre-order units...

Lou

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 01:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx

quote:
Originally posted by vstone
"For one you would have to worry about when the external drive loses power or connectivity"

I use a UPS anyway.

What good would a UPS do, when an external drive gets physically unplugged? USB is a hot pluggable bus, devices can go away at any time.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 02:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

doug- where'd ya get these?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK
doug- where'd ya get these?
I woke up today and there they were in my Inbox, mysteriously appearing out of the internet ether.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dropper is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dropper Find more posts by dropper Add dropper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropper
UTV Zealot

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
I woke up today and there they were in my Inbox, mysteriously appearing out of the internet ether.

Right. I almost believe that. Annonymity is often a neccesity to post this kind of thing and I can respect that.

Keith

1 105hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV
1 40hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged