TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Good Universal Remote <<<

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
markw is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 10:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for markw Find more posts by markw Add markw to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markw

Good Universal Remote

What is a good universal remote to look into? My setup includes a Sony HDTV, Yamaha Receiver, will include a Zektor Component Switch, a Panasonic DVD Recorder, a JVC D-VHS, and very soon, a HD TIVO. I looked highly at the Harmony because my fiancee often has a hard time knowing what to turn on to watch a dvd, tv, etc. I looked highly at the Harmony but I almost felt it could over too much control and won't always do things quite like it should. I hope that made sense but I guess it's hard to have the best of both.
When I was reading here though I saw the MX-700 mentiond and something like the UC300 or so. Where can I get information on these and any other universal remotes. I want something that will work well with all the equipment I have.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 10:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

Remote Central is a great place to find out tons of information about remotes. I personally recommend the MX-700 very highly. I previously owned the MX-500 and am very happy I spent the money to upgrade.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

itsmeitsmeitsme is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 10:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for itsmeitsmeitsme Find more posts by itsmeitsmeitsme Add itsmeitsmeitsme to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
itsmeitsmeitsme

The mx-500 here. Its the best $100 i ever spent. Very easy to learn and to program. Im sure the mx-700 is even better.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ToddHealy is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToddHealy Find more posts by ToddHealy Add ToddHealy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToddHealy

A good place to look for information on remote controls is Remote Central. They have helpful reviews and an active forum.

Don't know if this helps at all or if it is just me rambling...

I used them in my quest to find the right remote. My short list consisted of Home Theater Master's MX series, Harmony Remotes, and Philips Prontos. I ended up with the MX-800 and it works great for me.

I discounted the Prontos because they are mostly buttonless. This means you need to look at the display to be surely of hitting the right 'button'.

The Harmonies are great for other people to use because they are very user friendly. It can also remember the state of devices for toggle buttons. The power button is an example of a toggle. If you are programming macros you need to know whether the device is on or off, otherwise you may turn it off (or on) when you don't want to. Harmony remembers this for you.

My equipment supports discrete codes (e.g. separate code for on Vs. off), so the Harmony's state memory didn't matter. Nobody else needs to use it, so friendliness was not a critical issue. Given that I preferred the greater power & flexibility of the MX's

That left me with with choosing between the different MX models (500, 600, 700, 800). The 700/800 had greater programming flexibility and more macro power. The 800 had an RF base station that I really wanted.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

whsbuss is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 10:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for whsbuss Find more posts by whsbuss Add whsbuss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whsbuss
Advanced Member

I've been looking for a good universal remote and WAS considering the Sony AV-RM3000 (or soon to be released RM3100). However, it does not allow inputting of discrete codes. You need to have a universal remote that can send the discrete code so the Sony can learn it.

How dumb is that? Spend $200 for a remote and you need a 2nd to program it! I am considering the MX-700. Are the any B&M stores that carry it?

Pioneer DVR-520H
Sony NS775V DVD

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

yogre is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yogre Find more posts by yogre Add yogre to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yogre

Pronto Remotes

Personaly, I have always wanted a Pronto remote. Ever since the TSU2000 came out but could never justify it. When the hype about the HD TiVo started growing, I decided it's time to get an HDTV (I have a PJ which does HD but it can't be used as a mainstream TV because of light restrictions) and figured it was time for the Pronto to enter the household.

I got the TSU7000 and I love it.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chris_h is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chris_h Find more posts by chris_h Add chris_h to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chris_h

I have (2) MX-500s and the IRClone gizmo for programming them via the computer. Love them all. Also another vote for remotecentral.com, great site with many useful resources.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sonnyducks is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 12:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sonnyducks Find more posts by sonnyducks Add sonnyducks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sonnyducks

Not many B & M stores carry them (I wish they did b/c that's what has been holding me back from getting one). Go check out their website, there may be some stores in your area that carry them.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dcushing is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 12:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dcushing Find more posts by dcushing Add dcushing to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dcushing
Always Lurking

I have seen the MX-700 in Magnolia's (division of Best Buy).

Dave

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 04:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx

I'm in the Pronto camp. It takes some effort to get the best out of one, but I think its worth it (and fun in its own right). I have a Pronto 3000, now setup to control 2 DTiVos.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fripp is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fripp Find more posts by fripp Add fripp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fripp

I've had pronto and a MX-500, but in my opinion the Harmony-659 is the best remote I've ever had. It has a totally different philosophy - activity based rather than device based structure - which works for me.

I've heard some TIVO users complain that the 659's transport controls (play, pause, FF, etc) are cumbersome at the bottom of the remote, but I've had no problem adjusting to this placement.

So far I haven't had to program a single button. I just went online and entered all my devices, then downloaded the configuration into the remote. My only concern with this is how quickly Harmony will add the HD-Tivo to their database...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

weidheimer is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 05:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for weidheimer Find more posts by weidheimer Add weidheimer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weidheimer

What universal remote best incorporates the TIVO remote's functions? I have always planned on purchasing a Pronto, but it doesn't seem to fit as well with TIVO. Any thoughts??
Mike

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

whsbuss is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 05:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for whsbuss Find more posts by whsbuss Add whsbuss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whsbuss
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by btwyx
I'm in the Pronto camp. It takes some effort to get the best out of one, but I think its worth it (and fun in its own right). I have a Pronto 3000, now setup to control 2 DTiVos.

I like the pronto as well. However, both the TSU500 and 3000 didn't get a raving review at remotecentral.com

How is the contrast and backlight on the LCD?

Pioneer DVR-520H
Sony NS775V DVD

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ajlevine is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 05:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajlevine Find more posts by ajlevine Add ajlevine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajlevine
F the FCC

I've got a Harmony 659 and love it. If you don't need to go too crazy with customization, it's great. The new 688 has better button placement for those who don't like where the transport buttons are.

-Andy

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 05:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx

quote:
Originally posted by whsbuss
How is the contrast and backlight on the LCD?
They look fine to me. The backlight has to be on though, it sucks with the backlight off.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 05:44 AM
btwyx

quote:
Originally posted by fripp
I've had pronto and a MX-500, but in my opinion the Harmony-659 is the best remote I've ever had. It has a totally different philosophy - activity based rather than device based structure - which works for me.
Which is why we try to program our Prontos as activity based, which is part of the setup required. Out of the box a Pronto is pretty lame, if you're not going to program it, you should look else where.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fripp is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fripp Find more posts by fripp Add fripp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fripp

Which is why we try to program our Prontos as activity based, which is part of the setup required. Out of the box a Pronto is pretty lame, if you're not going to program it, you should look else where.

This is true.

The activity-based structure is more of a differentiator between the Harmony and the MX-500. I think the hard buttons vs. the touch screen is why I prefer the Harmony over the Pronto.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RDJR is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RDJR Find more posts by RDJR Add RDJR to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RDJR

I have the Harmony. Great remote and the usb connectivity allowing it to be programmed on-line makes it real easy to set up.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stephen Tu is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 06:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stephen Tu Find more posts by Stephen Tu Add Stephen Tu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stephen Tu

quote:
I've had pronto and a MX-500, but in my opinion the Harmony-659 is the best remote I've ever had. It has a totally different philosophy - activity based rather than device based structure - which works for me

quote:
The activity-based structure is more of a differentiator between the Harmony and the MX-500.

I disagree. It's trivial to set up the MX-500 in an activity based fashion. E.g. to make the Tivo page an activity page rather than just a Tivo device page, you can just stuff whatever additional TV & audio receiver functions you tend to use with Tivo onto the LCD buttons. The MX-500 has a much better button layout IMO, esp. the transport keys for Tivo, plus it's easier to access more obscure functions since it has 10 LCD buttons accessible on a page, vs. something like 4 on the Harmony.

The main advantage of the Harmony is the "smart state" technology, which deals better with equipment that doesn't have discrete codes, e.g. only commands to cycle between inputs or toggle on/off rather than jump directly to an input, or force power off. The MX-500 can usually get by though, although sometimes a cheap auxilliary JP1-capable OFA/Radio Shack remote to teach it discrete codes is necessary. Even with the add-on JP1 remote, the MX-500 is cheaper than the Harmony. Or one could opt for the much more powerful MX-700 instead for not much more than the Harmony.

The Pronto was never in the running for me, since I like tactile feedback, being able to operate the remote without looking at it, keeping my eyes on the TV.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegolf68 is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 07:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegolf68 Find more posts by joegolf68 Add joegolf68 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegolf68

I have the SST-688 on order. I may be stupid, ignorant, whatever. I just wanted the very best universal remote that I could get, and after some research, I decided to wait for the SST-688. It should be here soon, so I have no idea if it is a dog or not. But my research indicated it was supose to be the best.

Happy hunting.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged