TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Update on Thumbs/TiVo Suggestions Issue <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TiVoBill is offline Old Post 04-20-2004 06:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Talking

We have finished testing a change that should resolve the issue that some customers were seeing with missing Thumbs and unusual Suggestions. We are starting the deployment of this change this afternoon. Every standalone customer will receive the update on their next connection to the TiVo service.

Note: It may take a day or so for Suggestions to return to normal after the successful connection to the TiVo service. During that time, you may notice missing thumbs and unusual Suggestions as the database is rebuilt. These issues should be resolved within a couple of days after the update is downloaded.

We appreciate your patience while we resolved this issue.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MaryT is offline Old Post 04-20-2004 10:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MaryT Find more posts by MaryT Add MaryT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MaryT

Thanks much....

Mary

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bmgoodman is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bmgoodman Find more posts by bmgoodman Add bmgoodman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bmgoodman

Will there be a version number change? If not, how will we know that we have received the update?

Thanks

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by bmgoodman
Will there be a version number change? If not, how will we know that we have received the update?

Thanks

There will be no version number change. It's just a change to update the program guide data and a script to clean up the existing data. You will receive the script on your next connection.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 02:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

I do keep getting the god channel as a sugestion for me, thought it was weird. So i'm assuming that there will be no way to notice that we got it since theres no version number change?

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 03:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

Just out of curiousity what exactly caused the suggestions to become all screwy? It seems strange that a bad piece of data could have such a large and lasting effect, but I suppose its possible. It just seems strange.

I assume something on TiVo's end was implemented so the "bad data" won't get sent again in the future?

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 03:45 AM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by morac
Just out of curiosity what exactly caused the suggestions to become all screwy? It seems strange that a bad piece of data could have such a large and lasting effect, but I suppose its possible. It just seems strange.

I assume something on TiVo's end was implemented so the "bad data" won't get sent again in the future?

It's a complex issue but I will try to explain in briefly.

A change was made to the program guide data that we receive from Tribune to support a new title format. This change caused TiVo DVRs to treat the programs that changed as new objects in the database. For the most part, the change was handled appropriately by the software, but it had some unexpected effects on both Thumbs data and the collaborative Suggestions engine. The fix basically restores the thumbs data (which was still there but was masked) so that Suggestions should work correctly again.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveLessnau is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveLessnau Find more posts by DaveLessnau Add DaveLessnau to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
A change was made to the program guide data that we receive from Tribune to support a new title format. This change caused TiVo DVRs to treat the programs that changed as new objects in the database. For the most part, the change was handled appropriately by the software, but it had some unexpected effects on both Thumbs data and the collaborative Suggestions engine. The fix basically restores the thumbs data (which was still there but was masked) so that Suggestions should work correctly again.

From the sound of it, I guess this won't affect the problem where too many Thumbs in the Thumb data base causes a Failed While Loading Data error (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=131393). I assume then there's no reason for me to start another test of that situation.

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 09:34 PM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by DaveLessnau
From the sound of it, I guess this won't affect the problem where too many Thumbs in the Thumb data base causes a Failed While Loading Data error (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=131393). I assume then there's no reason for me to start another test of that situation.

I'm not familiar with that particular issue, but I would suspect not since it just restores thumbs that were previously given to programs.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

beejay is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 11:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for beejay Find more posts by beejay Add beejay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beejay

quote:
I'm not familiar with that particular issue...

Is there any limit to the number of thumbed shows? If so, what happens when you exceed that limit?

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 04-22-2004 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Beejay, we are not aware of any limits to the number of thumbed shows, and have tested use with very large numbers. We are investigating Dave's issue and we currently suspect that his call failures are unrelated to the number of thumbs on his DVR.

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dylanemcgregor is offline Old Post 04-22-2004 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dylanemcgregor Find more posts by dylanemcgregor Add dylanemcgregor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dylanemcgregor
TiVo Forum Special Member

Just wanted to add a data point that may or may not be relevant.

I originally had the screwy suggestions begin about the same time that everyone else did. I took no corrective action, and they seemed to go away on their own. The only thing that has been a little strange is that I just had not been getting many suggestions, even though I had empty drive space.

After my daily call on Monday evening I have again been getting many suggestions and many kooky religious and children's programming. It might just be coincidence, and it doesn't really bother me, but I thought I would make you aware of it. I have a Phillips Series 1 if it matters.

-Dylan

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mikepers is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 11:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mikepers Find more posts by mikepers Add mikepers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikepers

Thumbs/TiVo Suggestions Issue

Bill,

Last night 4/24 I noticed that I had no suggestions recorded even though this feature is enabled on my unit and always has been. The disk in not full, there's only about 9 hours of medium quality shows, should be about 10 hours available. As of tonight 4/25 there are still no suggestions recorded.

I still see thumbs up/down on shows so that info is there but if I go to suggestions in the menus the message is there like it's a new system.

While reading this thread I assumed I was experiencing the problem mentioned, but I now see that the patch has been released.

Any suggestions? Have there been any reports of the patch itself causing problems?

Thanks,
Mike P.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

murgatroyd is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 12:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for murgatroyd Find more posts by murgatroyd Add murgatroyd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murgatroyd
TiVo Forum Special Member

Just another data point.

Checked the suggestions via TC menu tonight on my S1 Sony and found no suggestions in the list at all -- instead I got the nudge to thumb some programs that you'd see on a brand new TiVo. Checking my SP manager, it seemed that most of my programs there had a reasonable amount of thumbs, and most of the shows on Live TV were okay.

I made a few small adjustments. Will check again in the morning to see what has happened overnight.

Jan

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 07:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

The "fix" only partially fixed the problem for me and I ended up having to reset the Thumbs database. After that things started working a lot better.

Sure I lost over 6 months of Thumbs data, but what good is that if it mostly is recording junk? At least now the TiVo is recording suggestions I might actually want to watch.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 09:00 PM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by morac
The "fix" only partially fixed the problem for me and I ended up having to reset the Thumbs database. After that things started working a lot better.

Sure I lost over 6 months of Thumbs data, but what good is that if it mostly is recording junk? At least now the TiVo is recording suggestions I might actually want to watch.

It should not be necessary to reset your thumbs data. My recommendation would be to leave them the way they are and most likely they will get better over the coming days as they are recalculated.

For people who don't have any Suggestions listed, that sometimes happens after a daily call while the list of Suggestions is being rebuilt (it's always been that way). If the list stays that way for an extended period of time, you might try restarting your DVR to have it rebuild the list.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ursine1 is offline Old Post 04-27-2004 03:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ursine1 Visit ursine1's homepage! Find more posts by ursine1 Add ursine1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ursine1
That one guy

My suggestions are still screwy. Korean language programs, the Weather Channel, religious programs... none that I've ever watched, or that I can even remotely understand why TiVo thinks I would want to. Hope this gets better soon... I'd hate to see the Suggestions feature become essentially useless.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveLessnau is offline Old Post 04-27-2004 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveLessnau Find more posts by DaveLessnau Add DaveLessnau to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

quote:
It may take a day or so for Suggestions to return to normal after the successful connection to the TiVo service. During that time, you may notice missing thumbs and unusual Suggestions as the database is rebuilt. These issues should be resolved within a couple of days after the update is downloaded.

It's been about a week, but it looks like MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) lost its two Thumbs Up rating last night. I found it all Thumbless under Suggestions this afternoon.

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

islander is offline Old Post 04-27-2004 12:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for islander Find more posts by islander Add islander to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
islander

mine started Tivoing 3 hours of MTV videos today.... I doubt I've ever even had MTV on for 15 seconds continuously since I got the TiVo....

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MaryT is offline Old Post 05-02-2004 05:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MaryT Find more posts by MaryT Add MaryT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MaryT

TivoBill -

My suggestion list now has 3 (!!!!) items on it only. This is down from about 12-15 pages worth earlier this week. Each day it got progressively shorter.

Yesterday, the only suggestions had dates of 4/30 & 5/1. Hence, today it's empty.

I don't believe your fix did anything. Initially, they seemed to come back to normal, genre wise, but they're still not generating.

The only time they generated was when I added a new program last weekend.

Is there a way to undo the changes that were made in early March? This is really getting to be more than a bit annoying.

Mary

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged