TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Value of HMO? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sbouton is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 11:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sbouton Find more posts by sbouton Add sbouton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sbouton

Value of HMO?

Is the Home Media Option really worth the money? I already have a wireless USB NIC installed and working, but it's not worth much to me at this point. It would be nice to be able to schedule shows from anywhere by adding HMO, but, from what I read, HOM Scheduling is a limited version of the standard, onboard scheduler, so there maybe problems with overlapping schedules, etc. I would appreciate feedback from HMO users. Thank you.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jjokerski is offline Old Post 04-07-2004 12:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jjokerski Find more posts by jjokerski Add jjokerski to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jjokerski
Drank the kool-aid

I think it's worth the $99, which I look at over 2 years (the cost before my lifetime subscription pays for itself over monthly fees) as being $4.13 per month.

The scheduler is a little limited compared to the TiVo screen... but you can search or browse listings, and an advanced search that restricts the search to a number of days. There's a good description of each program and you can set a one-time recording or season pass.

The pages do load a little slowly, but I don't mind because it's a lot of data it's sorting through.

I don't like that it shows channels I don't get in the search results. It will let you try to schedule a show on a channel you don't receive.

If there's a conflict, you only have 2 choices... cancel the other recordings or don't record. I'd love to get a message that says what the other recording is and offering me the option of recording this instead.

It will send you an email confirming your recording, telling you if it will record or not.

I'd like to be able to see my existing to-do list, season pass list, etc online in the future and be able to make changes to them. I'd also like a little quicker interface.

Still, I think it's definitely worth it. I like that I can stream mp3s and display photos from my PC and Mac. I love the remote scheduler. If the price ever comes down for a second lifetime sub, I'll get a second TiVo for upstairs and may use the multi-room viewing feature.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RickyF is offline Old Post 04-07-2004 04:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RickyF Find more posts by RickyF Add RickyF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RickyF

HMO is limited in its functionality and therefore in its value. TiVo has done next to nothing to upgrade, improve, expand the product since its release.

Paying $99 to remote program your TiVo is so out of line with real value as to be laughable. If you wanted to listen to MP3's from your computer you can make a better argument for the product, but there are better solutions than TiVo. The only proprietary feature is the ability to share recorded programs between TiVos. This may matter if you have multiiple TiVos. But you have to pay $49 (I think) to get HMO for each additional box after the $99 for the first unit.

Save your money or better yet spend it on something you will use and enjoy.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 04-07-2004 05:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

The feature we enjoy most is the ability to quickly access family (grandchildren) pictures stored on our daughter's iMac (Hermosa beach, CA) for viewing through the HMO features of our TV (Pittsburgh, PA),

Well worth the price of admission.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 04-07-2004 08:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

We're getting more use out of the picture viewing right now than just about anything else.

Remote Scheduling is available to AOL users without purchasing HMO, if that's what floats yer boat. Check out a quickie review on PVRblog.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smeg is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 03:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smeg Visit Smeg's homepage! Find more posts by Smeg Add Smeg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smeg

Since I got it for $59 I find that palatable. I find we use the MP3 function more than anything else. However I would say HMO is definitely in need of an upgrade!

-Jim Steinman

S2 60HR TiVo Modified to 222 HRs.
www.realmofdreams.com

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sbouton is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sbouton Find more posts by sbouton Add sbouton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sbouton

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I'm going to wait for a better remote scheduling alternative. I already have solutiosn to MP3 and Photo sharing that have nothign to do with Tivo. Thanks again,

Steve

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

danieljanderson is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 10:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for danieljanderson Find more posts by danieljanderson Add danieljanderson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danieljanderson
Proud to preach TiVo

Does the availability JavaHMO make the price any easier to handle?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Georgia Guy is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Georgia Guy Find more posts by Georgia Guy Add Georgia Guy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Never used the scheduler

I've never used the scheduler (well, once, just to see if it worked...it did).
To me, HMO is invaluable if only for the ability to swap tv programs around on 3 of my Tivos. My wife thinks thats the best thing since sliced bread. Me too.

Also, we love the ability to play 1000's of mp3's and any of our cds (as mp3) in any of the 3 rooms. Two of the tivos are hooked into stereo systems, which are also wired together. Selection and playing of music has never been easier.

We look at photos every now and then, too. But the ability to use 3 Tivos to store programming and watch from anywhere is fantastic.

Sony SVR-2000, 135 hours
3 Linksys USB200M's, Wired Ethernet
Comcast Motorola DCT6208 HD-DVR
Pan. DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder
Mits.HD2000U D-VHS Recorder

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

barrettd is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 10:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for barrettd Find more posts by barrettd Add barrettd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barrettd

Tivo-to-Go will require HMO to work, won't it? That's the reason I'll order HMO eventually.

BD

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 04-13-2004 06:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by barrettd
Tivo-to-Go will require HMO to work, won't it? That's the reason I'll order HMO eventually.

BD

I'm 99.9% positive it will. It might be smart to bundle TiVo-to-Go with HMO at a discount, but I don't think they will do that.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Notluf is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 08:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Notluf Find more posts by Notluf Add Notluf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Notluf

Worth it to me

HMO is worth it to me for the following reasons:

1. The MP3 playing option is great.

2. The pictures are worth it, simply being able to bring up the kids pics on the 52" is priceless.

3. My parents also have Tivo with HMO and can access my JavaHMO server from their house and view the same pictures over broadband even though we are geographically seperated.

4. The Tivo to Tivo viewing of recorded shows (his and hers Tivo's) has made this option very nice.

5. The upcoming Tivo-To-Go.

One time fee of $99 for this? Worth it for me. You mileage will vary if most of the above options are not important to you. If all you want is MP3 playing then go to Radio Shack and buy an FM Radio modulator to plug into the sound card and broadcast it to your stereo for $29.99.

PS: The option of remote scheduling is not important to me, besides, the Tivo website refuses to recognize my serial number and won't let me do it anyway (not that I care too.)

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shady is offline Old Post 04-18-2004 05:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shady Find more posts by shady Add shady to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shady

quote:
Originally posted by RickyF
HMO is limited in its functionality and therefore in its value. TiVo has done next to nothing to upgrade, improve, expand the product since its release.

Why the negative attitude RickyF?

TiVo advertise exactly what the HMO features are. They tell you exactly how much you have to pay and they even give you a free trial so you can make up your own mind if the product meets your requirements.

If you based your buying decision for HMO on what you thought might be included in a future upgrade rather than on what it does now, then that was your bad decision. No one forced you into it, so live with it, don't slag of TiVo for your mistakes.

To the OP:
I only have one TiVo, and therefore the show sharing isn't useful to me, but I figured $99 was worth it for the one feature I wanted, that was, to play MP3s on my HiFi. I have a huge CD collection, and I ripped them all onto my PC, which has given me the luxury of choosing what I want to listen to from an organised TiVo menu, and not searching around in cupboards etc.

I thought the remote scheduling would be useful, but I've only needed to use it a handful of times, mostly when I'm out, and a friend asks me if I can record something (I can use my phone to schedule)

The picture viewing was a bonus for me. I didn't think I would use it, but actually I've found it really great. I can show friends photos without enticing them into my bedroom

Anyway, my advice would be to try it, and if it's not what you expected, then what have you lost? But don't do what RickyP did and buy it assuming that it will change in the future.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RickyF is offline Old Post 04-19-2004 02:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RickyF Find more posts by RickyF Add RickyF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RickyF

A person was looking for the reaction of current purchasers of HMO before committing to it. I was giving him my reaction.

Just because TiVo posted the general outlines of what they had in mind for HMO is not enough information to assess the value of HMO. When I said that they hadn't upgraded it I meant that it has extremely limited functionality for types of recordings, limited menus for navigating, limited online scheduling features ...

The basic features of HMO were tempting, that's why I paid for it, but the reality of the implementation is much different IMHO. I was trying to provide my reactions. Yes I am negative because I think TiVO did a half-ass job in design and implementation and has not devoted the resources to improving a very expensive software add-on.

Sorry if you disagree with my "negative" assessment, but I wasn't really addressing you in my response, was I?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shady is offline Old Post 04-20-2004 02:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shady Find more posts by shady Add shady to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shady

quote:
Originally posted by RickyF
A person was looking for the reaction of current purchasers of HMO before committing to it. I was giving him my reaction.

Just because TiVo posted the general outlines of what they had in mind for HMO is not enough information to assess the value of HMO. When I said that they hadn't upgraded it I meant that it has extremely limited functionality for types of recordings, limited menus for navigating, limited online scheduling features ...

The basic features of HMO were tempting, that's why I paid for it, but the reality of the implementation is much different IMHO. I was trying to provide my reactions. Yes I am negative because I think TiVO did a half-ass job in design and implementation and has not devoted the resources to improving a very expensive software add-on.

Sorry if you disagree with my "negative" assessment, but I wasn't really addressing you in my response, was I?

I have no problem with constructive critisism, but you never said what you didn't like about it. You did say that $99 was too much for remote scheduling, but remote scheduling is only one part of HMO. You get all of HMO for $99. You did say TiVo haven't upgraded it, but you didn't say what you thought needed upgrading.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RickyF is offline Old Post 04-20-2004 05:49 PM
RickyF

I'm not obligated to post constructive criticism. I am not paid by TiVo as an employee or consultant.

The original post was:

Value of HMO?

Is the Home Media Option really worth the money? I already have a wireless USB NIC installed and working, but it's not worth much to me at this point. It would be nice to be able to schedule shows from anywhere by adding HMO, but, from what I read, HOM Scheduling is a limited version of the standard, onboard scheduler, so there maybe problems with overlapping schedules, etc. I would appreciate feedback from HMO users. Thank you.

I answered that question. I suggest you re-read my original post, which I have added below, to see that I did explicitly state what my dislikes were.

Paying $99 to remote program your TiVo is so out of line with real value as to be laughable. If you wanted to listen to MP3's from your computer you can make a better argument for the product, but there are better solutions than TiVo. The only proprietary feature is the ability to share recorded programs between TiVos. This may matter if you have multiiple TiVos. But you have to pay $49 (I think) to get HMO for each additional box after the $99 for the first unit.

I am sorry for you if you are bothered by someone who doesn't see TiVo through rose-colored glasses.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shady is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 02:46 AM
shady

From your comment, I guess you don't know what constructive critisism means.

oh well, never mind, plenty of other people responded.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivsrkf is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 04:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivsrkf Find more posts by tivsrkf Add tivsrkf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivsrkf

Talking

I'm really happy with it. I bought it during a discount period for $49 and after using it, I would've gladly paid full price. I have 3 PCs sharing pics and mp3's all of which are accessible on our main tv (only have 1 tivo so far).

My only problem with the option (and I'm working on resolving it) is that any pc sharing files - and I'm talking Windows PCs here - has to have someone logged on in order for the server process to run. But, there're ways around this.

I used remote scheduling once - just to test the capability. It worked, but I don't anticipate using it often. I may eventually use multiple tivo video sharing, but I'm just happy with the pic and music sharing.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dugbug is offline Old Post 04-21-2004 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dugbug Find more posts by dugbug Add dugbug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugbug

How does the HMO work? Not really interested in photos or MP3 streaming.

Im interested primarily in remote viewing. Can one TIVO access shows recorded on the other? If it requires a manual copy of the file, is it done so as not to disturb the remote tivo? Ie: if I move a movie over, are both tivos in a wait-til-completed mode?

Can a pioneer 810 work with another series 2 tivo?

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ultrajones is offline Old Post 04-22-2004 05:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ultrajones Visit ultrajones's homepage! Find more posts by ultrajones Add ultrajones to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ultrajones
Thread Killer

I also don't think it is worth the $99.00 price tag. While it plays MP3', displays pictures and allows remote scheduling, none of these features have been enhanced since day one. I still have the same Tivo Desktop software that fails with a time-out error when trying to selecting a folder that contains too many mp3's and/or sub-folders.

Regards,
Ultrajones

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged