TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> HR10-250 Hands on Demo @ Value Electronics! <<<

Pages (22): « First ... « Prev 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaron.s Find more posts by aaron.s Add aaron.s to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaron.s
Technocub

All -

I am home now and will spend the next short while updating the first post in this thread with the information and impressions of what I learned today.... so check back in a little while!

Aaron

Gateway DVD+RW Recorder
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo (65 Hour)
HR10-250 HD Tivo (Stock for now)

POST #121 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Morg111 is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Morg111 Find more posts by Morg111 Add Morg111 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Morg111

quote:
On the scaler issue, the TiVo doesn't have native (passthrough), so what the consensus was to do was set it to the same as your display, unless you want to change it depending on the station you are tuned to every time. You can try both, but most moden receivers, the scaler's pretty good. For my Sony 300, I let it do it, over my Samsung DLP. Can't tell the difference.

If you have a HD Leeza (I do) or similar scaler I recommend sending DVI to it in 1080i. The scaler will rescale it to the ouput resolution selected and deinterlace it.

Marc

POST #122 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toeside Find more posts by Toeside Add Toeside to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toeside

quote:
Originally posted by aaron.s
Toeside -

From what I could see - I was generally pretty happy with the performance of the scaler in the HD Tivo.... but I was VERY CLOSE to the 60" set and personally am a better judge of this when watching on my own 60" Grand Wega II from 12 feet away.... but I think people will be fairly happy with its performance....

Aaron

Thanks. And, btw, thanks for the pictures. I jumped into this thread with my own questions and ignored what you've contributed.

How were you able to leave so soon? I would have been there watching everything in his Now Playing list.

Did you get any insider information on when orders will ship? (not that it affects me, since I ordered from U.E. on 3/31).

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #123 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pmaddock is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pmaddock Find more posts by pmaddock Add pmaddock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pmaddock

Warrnaty seal on the pics

Anyone notice that there doesn't seem to be a warranty seal on Robert's box?

Mits 46807
Onkyo 898
HR 10-250 - upgd to 63HD Hours
DSR 6000 - upgd to 204 hrs via 80+140
Polk/HSU Speaker Array (7.1)
Panasonic CP72 DVD
Pioneer CLD-D606 LD (can't retire until Star Wars arrives on DVD)

POST #124 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toeside
Reminds me of a story a friend told me... he bought a Pronto and it came with a free case that shipped seperately. When the case arrived, his wife said, "not only do you need an expensive remote, but now you are buying clothes for it?".

You sure we're not married to the same woman?

My wife is mad because I just got the $99 HD deal from D* to hold me over until the HDTivo gets here. It doesn't matter that I'll sell it for at least $300 in a few weeks. It doesn't matter that I sold my old Panasonic for $350. It doesn't matter that I was also able to solve my OTA antenna issues for no extra cost. All she knows is that I spent another $99.

POST #125 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

horta is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for horta Find more posts by horta Add horta to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
horta

quote:
Originally posted by midas
You sure we're not married to the same woman?

My wife is mad because I just got the $99 HD deal from D* to hold me over until the HDTivo gets here. It doesn't matter that I'll sell it for at least $300 in a few weeks. It doesn't matter that I sold my old Panasonic for $350. It doesn't matter that I was also able to solve my OTA antenna issues for no extra cost. All she knows is that I spent another $99.

We will NEVER win that battle.

POST #126 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bcc is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bcc Find more posts by bcc Add bcc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bcc

I notice that the guide data display still shows only 90 minutes of programming info, just like the SD tivo. I was hoping the HD model would make use of the higher resolution (and widescreen) to display more information. Hopefully there will be a future config option to allow a higher resolution display of tivo text.

POST #127 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
How were you able to leave so soon? I would have been there watching everything in his Now Playing list.
He ran out of White Castle's and they kicked him out of the store.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #128 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaron.s Find more posts by aaron.s Add aaron.s to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaron.s
Technocub

Gateway DVD+RW Recorder
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo (65 Hour)
HR10-250 HD Tivo (Stock for now)

POST #129 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet

quote:
Originally posted by bcc
I notice that the guide data display still shows only 90 minutes of programming info, just like the SD tivo.

I was wondering there, also. My Sony 300 STB shows 2 1/2 hours or more (I forget). A bit limited... I guess it was just moved over from the SD's, hm?

POST #130 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:01 AM
aaron.s
Technocub

quote:
Originally posted by bcc
I notice that the guide data display still shows only 90 minutes of programming info, just like the SD tivo. I was hoping the HD model would make use of the higher resolution (and widescreen) to display more information. Hopefully there will be a future config option to allow a higher resolution display of tivo text.

bcc -

Nope - the guide is exactly the same as existing Tivo's -- not optimized for HD or widescreen....

In a sense this is good -- no need to have 2 sets of screens (HD and SD) -- and uses the existing "code" that makes existing Tivo's as rock solid as they are today.

Aaron

POST #131 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx

Are the little format indicators (480p, 720p etc) comming from the TiVo or from the display.

I thought it was from the display until I saw the ones which said "panel" and "full" which are TiVo's words for letterbox etc.

POST #132 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryan Lyle is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan Lyle Visit Bryan Lyle's homepage! Find more posts by Bryan Lyle Add Bryan Lyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan Lyle
Tivo'n since 1999

So, how stretched did the Full screen mode look?

14-Hour Tivo (upgraded to 60)
20-Hour Tivo (upgraded to 80)
20-Hour Tivo (upgraded to 100)
2 60-Hour Series 2 (unmod)
1 40-Hour Series 2 (unmod)
HD-Tivo

POST #133 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MNBugeater is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MNBugeater Visit MNBugeater's homepage! Find more posts by MNBugeater Add MNBugeater to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNBugeater

quote:
bpdp379 -

HDMI (the video portion) is electrically the same as DVI -- HDMI only introduces a smaller connector and the ability to pass digital audio over the cable as well.

Aaron

Dumb Newbie Audio Question...

If all the HDMI is introducing is the ability to carry the digital audio, why do I want it if I am sending my digital audio to a receiver with 5.1 speakers.

I dont want to use the internal TV speakers, nor can they take advantage of the the 5.1 audio, so why would I send the audio via the HDMI to the TV ? Wouldn't I want the video to go to the TV and Audio to my receiver ?

This isn't a rhetorical quesiton, I really dont know and I am asking for someone's expertise

Thanks

Warren in MN

POST #134 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet

You don't want it now as an improvement over DVI. HDMI is really for when receivers have it, do the switching for video, and peel off the audio and send it to the speakers. Not any yet but some are coming real soon at real high prices!

POST #135 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bcc is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bcc Find more posts by bcc Add bcc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bcc

quote:
bcc -

Nope - the guide is exactly the same as existing Tivo's -- not optimized for HD or widescreen....

In a sense this is good -- no need to have 2 sets of screens (HD and SD) -- and uses the existing "code" that makes existing Tivo's as rock solid as they are today.

Aaron

Right that's what I saw too. A bit disappointing as other DIRECTV HD receivers display text at higher resolutions (samsung sir-ts160 for example). I think this would be a good software wish list item. Actually I can think of a whole list myself; time for a new thread?

POST #136 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by btwyx
Are the little format indicators (480p, 720p etc) comming from the TiVo or from the display.

I thought it was from the display until I saw the ones which said "panel" and "full" which are TiVo's words for letterbox etc.

Those are from the HD DVR.

POST #137 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

josejrp is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for josejrp Find more posts by josejrp Add josejrp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josejrp

quote:
So the next Question... Is the scaler built into the HD Tivo better or worse than what's in my Mitsubishi 55413? If I record Friends from DirecTV's NBC local on the HD Tivo and the SD Tivo, which will look better?

You are asking real tough questions... I'll try to relate them to my experience. I have a Hughes HTL-HD receiver that has what I think is a fairly good upconverter. I also have a Hitachi TV that itself has a fairly good upconverter. Which looks better? - beats the hell out of me on my 61" TV. I really think the fact that my SD TiVo is connected via S-Video makes more difference than the upconverters, and even then, I still watch the SD TiVo rather than the Hughes when watching SD D* channels. Not enough of a difference (for me).

I do watch the local OTA HD feeds even for the SD programs (rather than the local D* feeds). These local Atlanta channels do look better in my system OTA... and to be honest with you, most of the shows I watch are in HD in my locals.

Hope this helps,

POST #138 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:13 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Lyle
So, how stretched did the Full screen mode look?
As stretched as a linear stretch always looks; there's pictures.

POST #139 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Those are from the HD DVR.

I'm assuming that indicator disappears after a few seconds?

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #140 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged