TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> HR10-250 Hands on Demo @ Value Electronics! <<<

Pages (22): « First ... « Prev 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaron.s Find more posts by aaron.s Add aaron.s to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaron.s
Technocub

btwyx -

The format indicator "bugs" are comign from the TIVO -- nice touch eh?

Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by btwyx
Are the little format indicators (480p, 720p etc) comming from the TiVo or from the display.

I thought it was from the display until I saw the ones which said "panel" and "full" which are TiVo's words for letterbox etc.

POST #141 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RxMan is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RxMan Find more posts by RxMan Add RxMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RxMan

I didn't see any comments about the guide speed. Does it still paint in like the old Tivos? Is navigating the menu still painfully slow?

THANKS!

POST #142 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by aaron.s
The format indicator "bugs" are comign from the TIVO -- nice touch eh?
Yeah, I wasn't expecting that. I don't remember seeing it in the manual. But this is the ouput format, and there is still no way to know what the received format was, right? (Apart from knowing what the various channels send you.)

POST #143 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet

Do any HD STBs tell you the received format except in native mode? And this box doesn't have native mode.

POST #144 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rich Peterson is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rich Peterson Find more posts by Rich Peterson Add Rich Peterson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rich Peterson

Wink

These pictures must be fakes! Bob Miller has repeatedly told readers of the HDTV forums that ATSC reception doesn't work in NY.

Bob couldn't be wrong could he?????

POST #145 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx

quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Do any HD STBs tell you the received format except in native mode? And this box doesn't have native mode.
Another sore point. I'd like to know what the received format is to impliment a native mode. (As in I hit the button until the output matches what was recevied.)

POST #146 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

josejrp is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for josejrp Find more posts by josejrp Add josejrp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josejrp

quote:
Originally posted by RxMan
I didn't see any comments about the guide speed. Does it still paint in like the old Tivos? Is navigating the menu still painfully slow?

THANKS!

In my existing TiVo, I always use the TiVo list guide rather than the DirecTV grid guide. Not only is the TiVo guide *way* faster, but it displays more than 90 minutes at a time. I would expect these same things would apply to the HD TiVo (and it sure sounds like it, since Aaron mentioned the D* guide seemed a little slow).

POST #147 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit

Now I want a few Krystals (I've never been in or even seen a White Castle). Oh yeah, I want the HD TiVo too.

POST #148 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaron.s Find more posts by aaron.s Add aaron.s to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaron.s
Technocub

Bryan -

I am very sensitive to watching SD material stretched to fill the screens -- I hate looking at people's faces fat....

That said - I though the guide - which in my opinion must be being stretched since it is the same guide on the existing Tivo's, didn't look bad at all.... I had no stretch problems with it

Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Lyle
So, how stretched did the Full screen mode look?

POST #149 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toeside Find more posts by Toeside Add Toeside to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toeside

quote:
Another sore point. I'd like to know what the received format is to impliment a native mode. (As in I hit the button until the output matches what was recevied.)

I keep forgetting why I want native mode. My TV supports 480i/480p/1080i. Would I just want to pull a Ronco and "Set it and Forget it" on 1080i?

Craig

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #150 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:28 AM
aaron.s
Technocub

Rich -

Robert had a Square Shooter installed on the roof of the store in anticipation of my arrival..... and we were pretty happy with it's reception, including 4-1 (NBC) which is only broadcasting at low power right now...

At my home (about 5 miles south of Roberts location -- 15 miles as the crow flies from midtown manhattan) I get CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN with my Channelmaster 4221 outside on the deck.

Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Peterson
These pictures must be fakes! Bob Miller has repeatedly told readers of the HDTV forums that ATSC reception doesn't work in NY.

POST #151 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
It'll just be something you have to remember; OTA ATSC stations stay in the same format throughout the day, so it'll be a matter of remembering CBS/NBC/WB 1080i and ABC/FOX 720p (there'll be a few markets where the local Fox station will be 1080i, though).

On satellite, I believe it's everything except ESPN (and maybe other sports channels) is 0180i, ESPN is 720p.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #152 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:32 AM
btwyx

quote:
Originally posted by Toeside
I keep forgetting why I want native mode. My TV supports 480i/480p/1080i. Would I just want to pull a Ronco and "Set it and Forget it" on 1080i?
Avoiding a double converion is one. If it comes into the TiVo at 720p it has to be converted to be sent to the TV at 1080i. If the TV is not natively 1080i (such as Plasma displays), it then has to be converted to match the display.

The TiVo is the obvious place to not convert the signal. If you have a CRT display this may not apply to you if it can nativly support 1080i.

POST #153 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas

Just keep hitting the format button until it looks the best. If your eye can't tell which one looks best, then it really doesn't matter now, does it?

POST #154 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet

I think we're back to 'try it both ways and see'. On my Sony 300/Sammie HLN617, I *have* to lock the Sony at 720p, since anything else messes the DLP up. I hope the TiVo has a good scaler.

POST #155 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gseeg is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gseeg Find more posts by gseeg Add gseeg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gseeg

On the System Information screen, where it says "Recording Capacity: Up to ## hours", does it have the hours for HD, SD, or both?

POST #156 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:42 AM
aaron.s
Technocub

gseeg -

I am sorry - I didn't page down on the system information screen - so I don't know what it said....

Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by gseeg
On the System Information screen, where it says "Recording Capacity: Up to ## hours", does it have the hours for HD, SD, or both?

POST #157 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gseeg is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gseeg Find more posts by gseeg Add gseeg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gseeg

quote:
gseeg -

I am sorry - I didn't page down on the system information screen - so I don't know what it said....

Aaron

No problem. I should have thought of it before you went.

POST #158 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tom in OH is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tom in OH Find more posts by Tom in OH Add Tom in OH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom in OH

quote:
gseeg -

Aaron

oh nooo, you'll have to go back...

POST #159 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 03:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by sotapoppy
You mean to tell me we wait all this time only to find out it comes with just 5 White Castles?

See, it really is on topic to talk about White Castle's!

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #160 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged