TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> HR10-250 Hands on Demo @ Value Electronics! <<<

Pages (22): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
midas is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 05:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Re: HR10-250 Hands on Demo @ Value Electronics!

quote:
Originally posted by MCodanti
This one should be obvious, Season Passes are setup on a specific channel. So you set it up for 6-1 (OTA digital), or 6 (DirecTV)

You are right about SPs. But I suspect for autorecord wishlists things are going to get ugly. I think some rethinking will be needed once we get to play with these things. A good exapmle would be The Sopranos. I just an autorecord WL setup for it since it's a bunch of different HBO channels. But now I'll only want to the HD version so I'll change it to an SP for the HD channel only. But I'd still like the option of a backup channel incase conflicts preclude me being able to get it from HBO-HD. So maybe a second SP for HBOW or HBO2 would be needed.

So here's my question for aaron.s. Do the HD and SD versions of the same program have the same episode ID? I assume they do but would like confirmation.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 06:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaron.s Find more posts by aaron.s Add aaron.s to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaron.s
Technocub

quote:
Originally posted by jdk
If you've got nothing better to do, something that's been bugging me (although I ran another line last weekend, so I don't have to worry about it any more):

Can you see what happens with just one DirecTV and OTA connection (and the Tivo settings set up for 1 DirecTV connection)? Can you record two different OTA programs at once, or just one OTA program?

jdk -

The OVA signal is split inside the HR10-250, so even with just 1 Satellite and 1 OVA cable plugged in, you can record any combination of 1 satellite, 1 OVA or 2 OVA at the same time....

Aaron

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PJO1966 is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 06:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PJO1966 Find more posts by PJO1966 Add PJO1966 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PJO1966
New & CURRENT Avatar

Aaron, you can remove #1 off your list. Robert has confirmed that the default remote address is the same. He pointed the new remote at an SD TiVo and it worked.

Thanks

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aejanis is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 06:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aejanis Find more posts by aejanis Add aejanis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aejanis
Advanced Member

How about the inside?!

EDIT:...and I see doug has already asked for inside pics..but my concern of tripod w/no flash is something that would be nice

EDIT2: Added an example picture....closeup, no flash, tripod. Clean, clear, no washout

Maybe see if you can open the box up and get some pictures inside the thing? That would be very cool!

I hope you know how to take good pics...I hate looking at pictures (closeups) that are washed out with flash. Bring or borrow a tripod and don't use flash on the closeup shots..use slow shutter, no flash, from a tripod when taking closeup pics. Or use a secondary flash with a partial ceiling bounce.

Link To Picture
Link to more closeups

Last edited by aejanis on 04-14-2004 at 07:10 PM

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bdlucas is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 06:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bdlucas Find more posts by bdlucas Add bdlucas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdlucas

Can you drive the thing up to my house in northern Westchester (that's upstate to you :-) so I can evaluate its ability to pick up NYC OTA signals from here?

Seriously, some evaluation of picture quality on SD material (480i) scaled to HD (1080i) by the HD TiVo would be nice, as compared say to a TV that does a decent job of this scaling. I'm particularly concerned about this because I have a TV (Philips 34" CRT) that does a decent job (include inverse 3:2 pulldown on 24fps material) and I'm wondering how often I'm going to want to go the the trouble of switching the output mode of the HD TiVo to allow the TV to do its thing on SD material.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bdlucas is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 06:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bdlucas Find more posts by bdlucas Add bdlucas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdlucas

Re: Re: Re: HR10-250 Hands on Demo @ Value Electronics!

quote:
Originally posted by midas

So here's my question for aaron.s. Do the HD and SD versions of the same program have the same episode ID? I assume they do but would like confirmation.

I think that'll very much depend on the program provider. I know for example that National Geographic Channel doesn't seem to have useable program ids for their daily news program (forget what it's called), because if you set up a season pass for it it will record every re-broadcast of the same program throughout the day, whereas that doesn't happen on other shows that are broadcast multiple times (e.g. Sopranos, Star Trek), because the TiVo knows (by program id, I think) that it's already recently recorded the program.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 07:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

What about trying the special codes to do 30 second skip and "Superfriends of Reality TV"? Surprised nobody mentioned this--are they not in the series 2 DTivos?

Also, as far as recording SP and ARWL goes, it sure would be nice if it was smart enough to know if there was a problem with either satellite (typically rain fade) or ATSC (typically local stations just not having as much redundancy built in for digital or just plain incompetence) and fall back on the other instead of just recording nothing (since it probably won't record black screen even on ATSC--although that would be interesting to test as well). Some of the testing mentioned above about unplugging connections (maybe 5 minutes before a recording is to start?) would be useful in this regard.

Last edited by turls on 04-14-2004 at 07:13 PM

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 07:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: HR10-250 Hands on Demo @ Value Electronics!

quote:
Originally posted by bdlucas
I think that'll very much depend on the program provider. I know for example that National Geographic Channel doesn't seem to have useable program ids for their daily news program (forget what it's called), because if you set up a season pass for it it will record every re-broadcast of the same program throughout the day, whereas that doesn't happen on other shows that are broadcast multiple times (e.g. Sopranos, Star Trek), because the TiVo knows (by program id, I think) that it's already recently recorded the program.

Oh no doubt. Plenty of programs with bad program ids. But I was specifically thinking of shows that do have good information. The Sopranos is the perfect program to check out.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 07:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by aaron.s
jdk -

The OVA signal is split inside the HR10-250, so even with just 1 Satellite and 1 OVA cable plugged in, you can record any combination of 1 satellite, 1 OVA or 2 OVA at the same time....

Aaron

Bet ya it doesn't. The unit considers itself as having 2 tuners, not 4. So they're enabled in pairs. you need 2 satellite connections to be able to record 2 OTA channels.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TallGuy is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 07:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TallGuy Find more posts by TallGuy Add TallGuy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TallGuy
TiVo TiVo TiVo TiVo

If I was Robert, I wouldn't want the brand new unit opened up and the warranty voided.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marco is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marco Find more posts by Marco Add Marco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco
Malfeasor

I'd be interested in 'speed' comparison with the SD boxes -- some idea how fast it 'feels' to bring up program info, respond to a recording command, etc. relative to the regular box. I'd really like to see if the Season Pass Manager is faster, but that may not be possible with a virgin box.

Marc
1 HR10-250; 1xDSR6000, 1xDVR40; People evangelized to date: 19

I was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to kick in. -- Hunter S. Tolkien

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gamecox86 is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 08:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gamecox86 Find more posts by gamecox86 Add gamecox86 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gamecox86

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Bet ya it doesn't. The unit considers itself as having 2 tuners, not 4. So they're enabled in pairs. you need 2 satellite connections to be able to record 2 OTA channels.

Check page #48 of the manual. The note on the side and the text explain that you must have two satellite connections for dual tuner functionality, even if an OTA is connected.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

We've already been over this before. The manual is very specific.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

falstaffpac is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for falstaffpac Visit falstaffpac's homepage! Find more posts by falstaffpac Add falstaffpac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
falstaffpac

Please comment on the following when you see the unit:

1) OS version
2) Is the OS any faster than the current Tivo units
3) Does it give us folders? (fingers crossed)
4) Any idea if it supports HMO?

Can't wait to see the pics.

Aaron

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigcb37 is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigcb37 Find more posts by bigcb37 Add bigcb37 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigcb37
Willing Member

30 second skip!?!?!?

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kevin L is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin L Find more posts by Kevin L Add Kevin L to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kevin L

We can keep our fingers crossed, but since we know it's using v 3.x, it's not likely. Folders didn't come about until v 4. It's nice to wish, though. [sigh]

quote:
Originally posted by falstaffpac
Please comment on the following when you see the unit:

1) OS version
2) Is the OS any faster than the current Tivo units
3) Does it give us folders? (fingers crossed)
4) Any idea if it supports HMO?

Can't wait to see the pics.

Aaron

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paperboy2003 is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paperboy2003 Find more posts by Paperboy2003 Add Paperboy2003 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

Can you take a picture of the nice new and pretty dolby logo on the front?

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Paperboy2003
Can you take a picture of the nice new and pretty dolby logo on the front?
This would be one of the units with the wrong logo, if the logo had been changed.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dyanni is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dyanni Visit dyanni's homepage! Find more posts by dyanni Add dyanni to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dyanni
Happy now

Is it too much to ask for the screen shots to be frame grabs from one of the outputs (component) ? I would love to see a real screen cap of the fonts in their new hi-def 16x9 resolution. There are some photo posts on AVSForums of the screens - and you just can't see the quality from a photo of a screen.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 04-14-2004 09:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Geof in CO Find more posts by Geof in CO Add Geof in CO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geof in CO

I hate to interrupt with a slight off topic question but the HD TiVo will be my first TiVo - if I hook up both DirecTv tuners does DirecTv charge a monthly $4.99 fee for the second tuner??

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged