TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> HR10-250 Hands on Demo @ Value Electronics! <<<

Pages (22): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Morg111 is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Morg111 Find more posts by Morg111 Add Morg111 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Morg111

YUMMY! Where's mine?

EDIT....

"Finding Nemo" sound......

MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE!

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toeside
Question, not sure where it belongs...

Which is more beneficial, recording SD content from locals provided by DirecTV, or from an OTA digital channel?

I'd assume one consumes less space...which one would be more efficient?

SD is much 'smaller' but, if you want HD...! Only OTA you can record on this machine is HD. Define 'beneficial'.

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

josejrp is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for josejrp Find more posts by josejrp Add josejrp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josejrp

quote:
Question, not sure where it belongs...

Which is more beneficial, recording SD content from locals provided by DirecTV, or from an OTA digital channel?

I'd assume one consumes less space...which one would be more efficient?

This popped in my mind a few weeks ago, but seeing the grid with channels 2, 2-1, etc reminded me...

Craig

When you record the OTA HD channels, you are recording their feed, which is usually 1080i (or 720p if an ABC affiliate). This feed is the same even if they are broadcasting SD material (they upconvert it to the HD resolution). Since the source is not HD, the upconversion does not have the HD picture quality, but does look better than any DirecTV SD channel. However, since in effect you are always recording HD signals in these channels, the recordings will take significantly more space than the SD channels even when viewing SD programs. To make things even fuzzier, the DirecTV HD channels are compressed and do not have the overhead required for OTA HD, so their programs will take less space than the OTA HD channels.

Hope I was clear enough ,

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marco is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marco Find more posts by Marco Add Marco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco
Malfeasor

quote:
Originally posted by josejrp
Let me wipe this pool of drool from my keyboard... mmmmmmm, HD TiVo....

You need one of these:

Marc
1 HR10-250; 1xDSR6000, 1xDVR40; People evangelized to date: 19

I was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to kick in. -- Hunter S. Tolkien

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Will-san is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Will-san Find more posts by Will-san Add Will-san to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will-san

I am one of those.

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toeside Find more posts by Toeside Add Toeside to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toeside

Lee/Jose,

I think I understand... Let's use Friends as an example. It's not an HD show, but it'll sure be on my 5-1 digital NBC OTA local. So, if I record Friends from 5-1 OTA, I'll be getting a non-HD show that's been upconverted to 1080i via the broadcast affiliate?

So that "airing" of Friends will look better than recording the same episode on "5" that is from the DirecTV satellite?

Hmm, not sure which is beneficial now. I want to conserve space for true HD shows (Law & Orders, CSIs, Without a Trace, Joan of Arcadia, etc)... So I guess the non-HD shows will be recorded via DirecTV locals...and probably on my old DirecTiVo...

Craig

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

josejrp is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for josejrp Find more posts by josejrp Add josejrp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josejrp

So, how loose was the HDMI cable?

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryan Lyle is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan Lyle Visit Bryan Lyle's homepage! Find more posts by Bryan Lyle Add Bryan Lyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan Lyle
Tivo'n since 1999

quote:
Lee/Jose,

I think I understand... Let's use Friends as an example. It's not an HD show, but it'll sure be on my 5-1 digital NBC OTA local. So, if I record Friends from 5-1 OTA, I'll be getting a non-HD show that's been upconverted to 1080i via the broadcast affiliate?

So that "airing" of Friends will look better than recording the same episode on "5" that is from the DirecTV satellite?

Hmm, not sure which is beneficial now. I want to conserve space for true HD shows (Law & Orders, CSIs, Without a Trace, Joan of Arcadia, etc)... So I guess the non-HD shows will be recorded via DirecTV locals...and probably on my old DirecTiVo...

Craig

That episode of Friends on 5-1 will take up as much space as if it were broadcast in HDTV. It will look much better than the SD version on channel 5. But it will take up 1/60th of your HD Tivo's capacity

At least I "think" it would...

14-Hour Tivo (upgraded to 60)
20-Hour Tivo (upgraded to 80)
20-Hour Tivo (upgraded to 100)
2 60-Hour Series 2 (unmod)
1 40-Hour Series 2 (unmod)
HD-Tivo

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

josejrp is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:37 AM
josejrp

quote:
Lee/Jose,

Craig

You got it. The broadcast upconverters do a much better job than any upconverter available to us, plus the DirecTV compression is worse on the SD locals than on any other channels (and I swear, they must be receiving a couple of locals with a coathanger... for example, my NBC local has some herringbone lines sometimes, and my TBS local has ghosting). Of course, the smaller the TV, the more likely you may not notice the D* SD lack of quality.

So, the answer is, if the D* SD feeds look o.k. to you, then they are the ones to record. However, the OTA HD SD material should look better (but you may not notice it depending on your TV).

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaron.s Find more posts by aaron.s Add aaron.s to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaron.s
Technocub

Alexander,

Actually - the beauty in it is that it looks and functions *JUST LIKE* the existing Tivo's. This means that much of the original software is still there.

Yes - it also means the same screens and grids -- but since that "code" is pretty much rock solid -- it prevents more complication and bugs from creeping in.

And all of you out there the Significant Others that (might) be worried about a "new" learning curve -- there is NONE -- the unit works and feels just like a regular Tivo -- which is GOOD.

Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
Well, that was....boring. The White Castles got me more excited, until I remembered that I can only get the frozen kind.

Kind of sad that they didn't take the opportunity to make a super-spiffy HD interface.

Oh well, at least it appears eminently functional, which is all that really matters, I suppose.

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MOTOMATT is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MOTOMATT Find more posts by MOTOMATT Add MOTOMATT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOTOMATT

How will i know what is upconverted to 1080i via the broadcast affiliate?

DirecTV HD TiVo HR10-250,#21 from VE

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaron.s Find more posts by aaron.s Add aaron.s to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaron.s
Technocub

bpdp379 -

As far as *I* know -- there is no conversion from HDMI to DVI. HDMI (the video portion) is electrically the same as DVI -- HDMI only introduces a smaller connector and the ability to pass digital audio over the cable as well.

The HDMI to DVI cable used to connect to the TV is just cable -- no circuits or chips to convert the digital video at all....

Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by bpdp379
In that case, did it seem like either whites or blacks were getting clipped/crushed?

I mean per the supposed "bug" being reported elsewhere about the HDMI to DVI conversion...

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet

quote:
So, the answer is, if the D* SD feeds look o.k. to you, then they are the ones to record. However, the OTA HD SD material should look better (but you may not notice it depending on your TV).

Yep, take a look at both, and record what you want. For things that you are going to timeshift and dump, D*'s channel is probably okay. If you want to keep it for a bit, up to you.

It depends if you have other SD PVRs, also! Many here have (many) other SD TiVos. Some don't. This is my first TiVo, but I have a ton of other PVR capacity, so this is strictly for HD material. Problem there, it's only 30 hours. Can't wait for details on upgrading... even adding an *extra* *300* GB drive only adds 30 hours or so of HD space... <sigh>!

POST #113 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:43 AM
leesweet

quote:
Originally posted by MOTOMATT
How will i know what is upconverted to 1080i via the broadcast affiliate?

You can check in the HD TiVo to see what your HD station broadcasts at. Some at 1080i, some are 720p. If they are sending HD and are doing commercials, for example, it's being upconverted, if you see what I mean. (Same for other SD material.) (This is somewhat messing up this demo question thread... )

POST #114 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toeside Find more posts by Toeside Add Toeside to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toeside

quote:
You got it. The broadcast upconverters do a much better job than any upconverter available to us, plus the DirecTV compression is worse on the SD locals than on any other channels (and I swear, they must be receiving a couple of locals with a coathanger... for example, my NBC local has some herringbone lines sometimes, and my TBS local has ghosting). Of course, the smaller the TV, the more likely you may not notice the D* SD lack of quality.

So the next Question... Is the scaler built into the HD Tivo better or worse than what's in my Mitsubishi 55413? If I record Friends from DirecTV's NBC local on the HD Tivo and the SD Tivo, which will look better?

I'm going crazy here speculating. I have nothing better to do (HD and Tivo related, but I have TONS of other things I SHOULD be doing).

I'm going to have my Philips DSR6000 and the HD Tivo both connected to the Mits 55413... just gotta figure out which one should have the SD Season Passes. My first instinct was that anything NOT HD would go on the old box... That's probably going to be the way I go...

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #115 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:43 AM
aaron.s
Technocub

josejrp -

The HDMI to DVI cable used was the one that came with Robert's unit -- so all *I* can say is that it was snug as a bug in a rug....

Aaron

quote:
So, how loose was the HDMI cable?

POST #116 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by aaron.s
Actually - the beauty in it is that it looks and functions *JUST LIKE* the existing Tivo's. This means that much of the original software is still there.

Yes - it also means the same screens and grids -- but since that "code" is pretty much rock solid -- it prevents more complication and bugs from creeping in.

And all of you out there the Significant Others that (might) be worried about a "new" learning curve -- there is NONE -- the unit works and feels just like a regular Tivo -- which is GOOD.

It's so much like the old code, it even still has the bug wherein a couple (as I recall, or at least one evidenced by the photo) screens draw the menu further to the right of the left edge of the screen than most other menus such that as shown here, you see a gap in the bar behind the menu option.

http://www.2150.com/directv/instore...64B8B05&f=y&p=2

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #117 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaron.s is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:45 AM
aaron.s
Technocub

Toeside -

From what I could see - I was generally pretty happy with the performance of the scaler in the HD Tivo.... but I was VERY CLOSE to the 60" set and personally am a better judge of this when watching on my own 60" Grand Wega II from 12 feet away.... but I think people will be fairly happy with its performance....

Aaron

quote:
So the next Question... Is the scaler built into the HD Tivo better or worse than what's in my Mitsubishi 55413? If I record Friends from DirecTV's NBC local on the HD Tivo and the SD Tivo, which will look better?

I'm going crazy here speculating. I have nothing better to do (HD and Tivo related, but I have TONS of other things I SHOULD be doing).

I'm going to have my Philips DSR6000 and the HD Tivo both connected to the Mits 55413... just gotta figure out which one should have the SD Season Passes. My first instinct was that anything NOT HD would go on the old box... That's probably going to be the way I go...

POST #118 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:46 AM
leesweet

On the scaler issue, the TiVo doesn't have native (passthrough), so what the consensus was to do was set it to the same as your display, unless you want to change it depending on the station you are tuned to every time. You can try both, but most modern receivers, the scaler's pretty good. For my Sony 300, I let it do it, over my Samsung DLP. Can't tell the difference.

(If you don't set it to the display's native setting (for a digital display), then it's being converted/scaled twice; not a good thing!)

POST #119 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 04-15-2004 02:49 AM
Toeside

quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
... this is strictly for HD material. Problem there, it's only 30 hours. Can't wait for details on upgrading... even adding an *extra* *300* GB drive only adds 30 hours or so of HD space... <sigh>!

I actually have two DSR6000, usually refered to as Series 1 DTiVos. One is in the custody of my sister-in-law, so we'll pretend that doesn't exist. I originally intended all HD content will go to the HD Tivo, and all other content to the Philips...even contemplated upgrading that, not sure now.

I wonder how long it will take me to open up the HD TiVo and upgrade it. I wonder how long it will take my wife to smack me upside the head for opening such an expensive box... or spending more money on such an expensive box...

Reminds me of a story a friend told me... he bought a Pronto and it came with a free case that shipped seperately. When the case arrived, his wife said, "not only do you need an expensive remote, but now you are buying clothes for it?".

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #120 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged