TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> D7S Satellite <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dswallow is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Cajonkev
I like your explanation better. I am way to analytical on this to properly break it down...
I'm just thankful there were no birdies involved in the explanation. Much easier to follow that way.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cajonkev is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cajonkev Find more posts by Cajonkev Add Cajonkev to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cajonkev
PIBCAK

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
I'm just thankful there were no birdies involved in the explanation. Much easier to follow that way.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cajonkev
I like your explanation better. I am way to analytical on this to properly break it down...

actually Cajonkev- i'd like an even more technical answer!

My question- if they are lauunching on the equator to a spot above the equator, how does time matter at all? Beside crashing into someone else flying at a lower altitude and making sure you can borrow nasa's tracking and control network, what else matters? Its always the same distance-along the same trajectory- to get from launch spot A to orbit spot B if you are flying along the equator- no?

I'm no dope, but i just dont get it.

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dandrewk is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dandrewk Find more posts by dandrewk Add dandrewk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dandrewk
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by auribe14
Has anyone been able to figure out how to record the launch replay? It keeps giving me the Purchasing Info screen like it was PPV, but then it says the is no cost info and doesn't let me record.

You can't get it to record in advance. If you want to save the entire hour, you have to wait until the top of the hour, switch channels and hit "record".

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie

So they can get this thing in service by the end of June?

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakzie
So they can get this thing in service by the end of June?
In the past it's taken generally no more than 30 days from launch to having it in operation. All we have to do is hope no problems arise moving it into the test orbital position at 129°, or deploying solar arrays and antennas, and no problems occur while moving it to 119° once it's tested.

So who's got a spare receiver and dish to point at 129° to see if anything they do for testing is visible?

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bollar is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bollar Visit bollar's homepage! Find more posts by bollar Add bollar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bollar

quote:
Originally posted by auribe14
Has anyone been able to figure out how to record the launch replay? It keeps giving me the Purchasing Info screen like it was PPV, but then it says the is no cost info and doesn't let me record.

Just set up a manual recording (record by time and channel).

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeffster is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 10:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeffster Find more posts by jeffster Add jeffster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffster

quote:
In the past it's taken generally no more than 30 days from launch to having it in operation. All we have to do is hope no problems arise moving it into the test orbital position at 129°, or deploying solar arrays and antennas, and no problems occur while moving it to 119° once it's tested.

And now the waiting begins...

Who's for an off-topic post?

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dandrewk is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dandrewk Find more posts by dandrewk Add dandrewk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dandrewk
Advanced Member

Doug - since the transponders are of the "spot beam" variety, can they also do national?

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:43 PM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by dandrewk
Doug - since the transponders are of the "spot beam" variety, can they also do national?
There also are CONUS transponders on DirecTV 7S. It will be operated with 44 transponders broadcast in 30 beams. 7 of the transponders will provide national coverage, 37 will be for spot beams using the other 4 transponder frequencies that DirecTV has licenses for at 119°.

DirecTV currently has 4 HD channels and 34 national SD channels at 119° so that accounts for about 5 transponders of national programming, leaving the bandwidth of 2 national transponders at 119° for new services.

This will potentially support about 444 local channels (at 12 SD channels per transponder, though I see some transponders at 101° having 14 SD channels, which would allow up to 518 channels on the spot beams), 89 of which are already on CONUS transponders at 119° and 54 of which are on CONUS transponders at 101°. So take those 143 existing channels away, and that leaves DirecTV able to add at least 301 channels.

So the ~4.5 transponders at 101° cleared of local channels and the ~2 transponders at 119° that are unused gives DirecTV about 6.5 transponders worth of bandwidth to use for new services.

That's about 13 HD channels or 78 to 91 SD channels or some combination.

DirecTV has announced plans for FOX HD E/W, so that leaves room for 11 HD channels or 66 to 77 SD channels or some combination.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

herdfan is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 06:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for herdfan Find more posts by herdfan Add herdfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
herdfan
Advanced Member

From a D* news release:

quote:
During the next two weeks, controllers will maneuver the spacecraft into a circular orbit; deploy the antennas and solar arrays; and test operational functions, communications payload and the propulsion system. DIRECTV expects to begin offering services from DIRECTV 7S at the 119 degree west longitude orbital slot by early June.

Looks good for dumping cable in June. And ebaying my SA TiVo.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dandrewk is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 09:48 PM
dandrewk
Advanced Member

quote:

So the ~4.5 transponders at 101° cleared of local channels and the ~2 transponders at 119° that are unused gives DirecTV about 6.5 transponders worth of bandwidth to use for new services.

That's about 13 HD channels or 78 to 91 SD channels or some combination.

DirecTV has announced plans for FOX HD E/W, so that leaves room for 11 HD channels or 66 to 77 SD channels or some combination.

518 local channels? I don't remember what D* said about opening up more local markets, but I don't think it was anywhere hear 518 more local channels. Is that bandwidth solely for the LILs?

Ok, 12 potential HD channels. Sorry if you answered this in your post, but do those channels have to be national? If not, any idea how many spot HD channels could they fit in that bandwidth?

There are a lot of folks (including myself ) that want more national HD (Starz, TNT etc), but also need to have local channel HD service. I am hoping major market local HD will be offered soon.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dandrewk is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 09:50 PM
dandrewk
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by herdfan
From a D* news release:

Looks good for dumping cable in June. And ebaying my SA TiVo.

Hold on there pahdnah! "Operational" does not mean "new service". It may be quite some time before they fill up the transponders. The timing of the first new services from the 7S is anybody's guess.

It can't happen soon enough, though.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 11:37 PM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by dandrewk
518 local channels? I don't remember what D* said about opening up more local markets, but I don't think it was anywhere hear 518 more local channels. Is that bandwidth solely for the LILs?

Ok, 12 potential HD channels. Sorry if you answered this in your post, but do those channels have to be national? If not, any idea how many spot HD channels could they fit in that bandwidth?

There are a lot of folks (including myself ) that want more national HD (Starz, TNT etc), but also need to have local channel HD service. I am hoping major market local HD will be offered soon.

DirecTV has said they are planning on the top 30 local markets getting HD locals in 2005; probably utilizing DirecTV 8S, since that's going to launch in 2005.

And read the rest of the paragraph where I said 518 -- that's a max, if the squeezed 14 channels per transponder, which they can do, but it's not their usual of 12 per transponder. So with the 143 channels already carried moving over to the spot beans, they have room for at least 301, and maybe as many as 375 _more_ local channels. They have 42 more markets announced, so that would be an average of 7.1 to 8.9 stations per market. And the nature of spot beams also does mean there'll be some space going to waste since they may not have room to add a local market to a spot beam, because they have to carry all the stations in the market, not just a subset and there may not be enough bandwidth to add one more full market.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 12:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie

Darn, since I am in DMA #38 I won't see HD locals via satellite.

quote:
DirecTV has said they are planning on the top 30 local markets getting HD locals in 2005; probably utilizing DirecTV 8S, since that's going to launch in 2005.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegarrett is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 12:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegarrett Find more posts by joegarrett Add joegarrett to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegarrett
DTiVo Junkie

quote:
DirecTV has said they are planning on the top 30 local markets getting HD locals in 2005.

Where are the top 30 defined? Thanks -

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

parkerdt is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for parkerdt Find more posts by parkerdt Add parkerdt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
parkerdt

quote:
Originally posted by joegarrett
Where are the top 30 defined? Thanks -

Try this link...

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/ne...s1thursday.html

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paperboy2003 is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 01:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paperboy2003 Find more posts by Paperboy2003 Add Paperboy2003 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

I would like to see them not add as much, but improve upon the existing PQ. All their commericals say digital quality, but I gotta tell ya that it looks like poop from where I sit. That might be attributable to my 65" set, but the PQ definitely has a lot of room for improvement!! GET RID OF THE SUPER HIGH COMPRESSION!!!

Doug

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnA is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 01:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnA Find more posts by JohnA Add JohnA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnA

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakzie
Darn, since I am in DMA #38 I won't see HD locals via satellite.

Better than being in DMA #127. I get nothing

Last edited by JohnA on 05-06-2004 at 02:00 AM

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paperboy2003 is offline Old Post 05-06-2004 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paperboy2003 Find more posts by Paperboy2003 Add Paperboy2003 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

quote:

While this is prolly obvious, is 8S the next to go up? I was thinking that I heard somewhere that there was one going up late 2004??

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged