TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Got Email From Weekness <<<

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gjp33usa is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 07:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gjp33usa Find more posts by gjp33usa Add gjp33usa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gjp33usa

Got Email From Weekness

I was one of the first to sign up for the Directv HR10-250. They said, so they sent me a link so I could get the HD Receiver by May the 4th or no later than th 6th. But the price of it is $1200 dollars instead of $999 so I think I will wait till later to get it. What would you do?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tarix is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 07:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tarix Visit tarix's homepage! Find more posts by tarix Add tarix to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tarix

Personally I would wait. However, as other people have pointed out, I bet they sell out even at that price.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 07:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

Robert from VE could have made an extra $50,000 by selling his already shipped 168 at that margin, and he's the crook

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Falk25 is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 07:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Falk25 Find more posts by Falk25 Add Falk25 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Falk25

Re: Got Email From Weekness

quote:
Originally posted by gjp33usa
I was one of the first to sign up for the Directv HR10-250. They said, so they sent me a link so I could get the HD Receiver by May the 4th or no later than th 6th. But the price of it is $1200 dollars instead of $999 so I think I will wait till later to get it. What would you do?

I got that same Email this evening, but after I saw the price of $1299, I shook my head in disgust and said 'Thanks, but no thanks'.
I'm on the waiting list at VE and ordered one last Friday at PC Richard that claims to be receiving them sometime next week. I'll take my chances that I'll receive a unit at the true MSRP and not be gouged out of an additional 300 clams.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" -- Abraham Lincoln

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bdlucas is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 07:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bdlucas Find more posts by bdlucas Add bdlucas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdlucas

Re: Got Email From Weekness

quote:
Originally posted by gjp33usa
What would you do?

I would have pre-ordered from Best Buy and Solid Signal so I would be pretty sure I'd be getting one in the same time frame without having to pay $300 extra.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Weez is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 07:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Weez Find more posts by Weez Add Weez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Weez

quote:
Originally posted by smak
Robert from VE could have made an extra $50,000 by selling his already shipped 168 at that margin, and he's the crook

-smak-

crook might be the wrong word

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bilbomims is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 08:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bilbomims Find more posts by bilbomims Add bilbomims to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bilbomims

I got the offer too. No way I'm paying that much. That's $400.00 more than what I'll be paying VE. Extortion is the word that comes to mind.

Sony DAV-C770
PS2, X-box, GC
Harmony SST-659

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 08:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by smak

-smak-

$67,000 if you eliminate the $100 off a good many of us received.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PerfKnee is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 09:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PerfKnee Find more posts by PerfKnee Add PerfKnee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PerfKnee

You can have your cake or you can eat it.

You can sell a large quantity at a lower price (ala Robert), or you can sell a smaller quantity at a higher price (ala weaknees).

But you can't get the number of orders Robert got at the weaknees price.

I would guess Robert's profits on 168 units at $899 are significantly greater than what weaknees would make selling 30 at $1200.

Different strokes for different folks. The buyers benefit because they have a wide range of choices.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

weaknees is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 10:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for weaknees Visit weaknees's homepage! Find more posts by weaknees Add weaknees to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weaknees
TiVo Forum Special Member

We have debated this issue internally knowing full well how many of you would respond to our decision to sell these units above MSRP.

Ultimately, our decision to offer the HD TiVos as we did was driven by a number of factors: (1) Clear demand from many, many people who offered us vast sums (and in fact, one of our customers has already posted his unit for sale on eBay with a Buy-It-Now price of $2,200); (2) The ridiculous hoops through which we had to jump to get these precious few boxes; (3) Our need to find a reasonable way to allocate a miniscule quantity to the massive number of people on our email list; (4) Slim margins on these units; and (5) Bracket costs (see below).

There is more to this story (and our decision) that will go unwritten here, but we offer one tidbit: As with the TwinBreeze bracket, the cost of engineering and designing a sound bracket for the HD TiVo is going to be very, very expensive. There are many engineering challenges, stress tests (heat, vibration and airflow, primarily) and issues to overcome. The costs of the TwinBreeze could be recouped over a significant quantity of boxes with the HDVR/Series 2 design. The same is almost surely not true for the HD box, rendering a high-quality bracket a sure loser.

Ultimately, what put us over the edge on the MSRP issue was the ability to allocate these proceeds toward the production of the HD bracketůso for those of you who have a unit at or below MSRP and eventually upgrade with us, your costs are being subsidized by the few who purchased early boxes from us. And to those of you whom we have offended, we apologize.

Stay tuned for more info on upgrades and brackets for these units.

Michael

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Weez is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 10:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Weez Find more posts by Weez Add Weez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Weez

quote:
Originally posted by weaknees
We have debated this issue internally knowing full well how many of you would respond to our decision to sell these units above MSRP.

Ultimately, our decision to offer the HD TiVos as we did was driven by a number of factors: (1) Clear demand from many, many people who offered us vast sums (and in fact, one of our customers has already posted his unit for sale on eBay with a Buy-It-Now price of $2,200); (2) The ridiculous hoops through which we had to jump to get these precious few boxes; (3) Our need to find a reasonable way to allocate a miniscule quantity to the massive number of people on our email list; (4) Slim margins on these units; and (5) Bracket costs (see below).

There is more to this story (and our decision) that will go unwritten here, but we offer one tidbit: As with the TwinBreeze bracket, the cost of engineering and designing a sound bracket for the HD TiVo is going to be very, very expensive. There are many engineering challenges, stress tests (heat, vibration and airflow, primarily) and issues to overcome. The costs of the TwinBreeze could be recouped over a significant quantity of boxes with the HDVR/Series 2 design. The same is almost surely not true for the HD box, rendering a high-quality bracket a sure loser.

Ultimately, what put us over the edge on the MSRP issue was the ability to allocate these proceeds toward the production of the HD bracketůso for those of you who have a unit at or below MSRP and eventually upgrade with us, your costs are being subsidized by the few who purchased early boxes from us. And to those of you whom we have offended, we apologize.

Stay tuned for more info on upgrades and brackets for these units.

Michael

Heh for me a simple we wanted to take advantage of a frenzied market would have gone over alot better then we marked up so much so we have R&D money for a second drive bracket.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Alexander is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 10:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alexander Visit Alexander's homepage! Find more posts by Alexander Add Alexander to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alexander
Advanced Member

Bah, who needs a bracket. Just leave the case off, and have a drive hanging off. Geek chic.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Motaki is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 10:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Motaki Find more posts by Motaki Add Motaki to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Motaki

I for one was thrilled to get Weaknees' email and am happy to be one of the lucky 30. I'm probably around #1200 on VE's list so I wouldn't expect anything from them until mid to late June. And I have much less trust that Best Buy or Good Guys would have anything earlier. To me, a few hundred bucks is worth saving the wait and anticipation (as well as jealousy from reading how all the early VE customers love their new Tivos). Of course, thriftiness and patience have never been strong traits of mine so I jumped at the chance for instant gratification for a little extra cost.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

neilaevans is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 11:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for neilaevans Find more posts by neilaevans Add neilaevans to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
neilaevans

quote:
Originally posted by weaknees

Hey, I appreciate the heck out of the subsidy and look forward to your help in upgrading...and I think it's perfectly fine for you to charge whatever the market will bear. The people who can find it elsewhere, cheaper, can do so if they wish (and if they're willing to wait if needed). That's up to them, and, what can I say, that's the American way.

I'm assuming of course that you are not misrepresenting $1299 as if it is the MSRP (I haven't checked your site)...if you're doing that, then that's a different case. But I'll give you the benefit of that doubt.

Now, get back to work on designing that bracket!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ToryGA1 is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 11:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToryGA1 Find more posts by ToryGA1 Add ToryGA1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToryGA1

Hmm. I always thought that Weaknees was a reputable company. I don't see myself ever doing business with folks so willing to take advantage of a situation like this, especially on so grand a scale.

I know, I know, this is America, and capitalism comes before common decency. When will I ever learn?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 11:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

So, do the people who are subsidizing your R&D costs to figure out how to cut and bend one or two pieces of metal actually get a bracket when they're available? Maybe a gold-plated, engraved set?

Why didn't you just put them up on EBay? Heck you could've financed a pile of brackets based on $2,200 a unit.

Weez has a point.

I can't fault you really for deciding to do what you've done. But I think you'll find this hurts your reputation, here at least, more than it helps.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RANSOME is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 03:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RANSOME Find more posts by RANSOME Add RANSOME to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RANSOME
Gadget boy

quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
Bah, who needs a bracket. Just leave the case off, and have a drive hanging off. Geek chic.

That is what I am doing with my directivo now.I have my equipment hidden,they also run cooler that way.

Also If weakness want to charge extra,who cares..It's not like they are twisting arms to buy them.If the market will bare it do it.However those people are going to be real sad when the damn breaks next week and everyone can get one for a lot less.

Last edited by RANSOME on 04-28-2004 at 03:43 PM

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 06:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet

quote:
Originally posted by Morris Herman
I received the following from WeaKnees:
Here's the link:

http://www.weaknees.com/hd_tivo_special.php

What a bargain!!!! $1299 No thanks! I will wait for my $899 unit.

Heh... My diatribe on this. Can someone, um, elucidate for me on WK?! I've not been around the TC world for long (as the veterans know), but had gathered an impression of Weaknees as a reputable outfit, who did good work for drive upgrades for those that didn't want to tackle it themselves (buy drives, seek out their own instructions, etc.,). (Little ol' ladies from Pasadena, equivalent, want a plug and play TiVo and/or upgrade with more storage, etc.) Is this is a case of 'what the market will bare'? AFAICT NO else is gouging (is there a better term?) in this manner. The price is VE's $899 before Robert got shutdown (plus the shirt and gift certificate) and everyone's $999. WTF?!

Okay, so now: 1. I see this $#&$# email and, I, also, had added myself to their 'HD TiVo' list several weeks ago. I've not received the email referenced above. Perhaps they are behind. You never know how long an email distro takes.... I run email systems and know how they can bite you.

But, do we have to be 'special' to get this, heh, special official deal, if we 'want' it? Not that I ever would pay $300 or $400 over VE's prices. Sheesh. Really. I agree with those who feel like writing Weeknees off forever because of this policy. For this, I really feel like going the do-it-yourself route (and I know there's a lot of great help here!), and the heck with WK. A 30% surcharge from my calculation? (Sorry, I think that's right it's only it's 8:00 AM and I've been up with a voice mail issue at work since 0600 ... )

So, am I crazy or what?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 06:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout

I was planning on waiting for the weakness bracket even though I've seen other upgrade vendors working on the issue as well. I was very happy with the upgrade kit I got for my SA TiVo and tend to be loyal to vendors with good product.

However, I don't believe gouging 30 people for one product to subsidize the cost of another product is something I really want to support. They certainly are within their rights to do this, and I'm not saying I won't get a bracket from Weakness, but I will certainly investigate all my options before I get one now. This decision moved me from loyal customer to fickle shopper again. If this happens for others, Weakness may find that they lost much more than they gained.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

k2ue is offline Old Post 04-28-2004 06:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for k2ue Find more posts by k2ue Add k2ue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k2ue

quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
But, do we have to be 'special' to get this, heh, special official deal, if we 'want' it? Not that I ever would pay $300 or $400 over VE's prices. Sheesh. Really. I agree with those who feel like writing Weeknees off forever because of this policy. For this, I really feel like going the do-it-yourself route (and I know there's a lot of great help here!), and the heck with WK. A 30% surcharge from my calculation? (Sorry, I think that's right it's only it's 8:00 AM and I've been up with a voice mail issue at work since 0600 ... )

So, am I crazy or what?

I think you guys are being way too hard on them -- everyone bitches and moans here and shows off their wretched excess systems which clearly demonstrate that they have lots of disposable income -- then someone says well, if you're really that disgusted with waiting $300-$400 can solve your problem, and suddenly everyone is all over them. I see a bunch of frustrated guys trying to ruin the good name of anyone who denies them the immediate gratification they are apparently accustomed to. The guy who emigrated from eastern europe had it right -- it's just CAPITALISM guys.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged