TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> iTunes 4.5 ... <<<

Pages (3): « Prev 1 2 [3]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by KermitTheFrog
This is very intersting indeed.

Apple iTunes DOM SDK for Windows Released

Interesting, but not as interesting as it would be if the article on Ars was accurate. Unfortunately, it's not.

Other media players on Windows (and media players on the Mac) can play protected AAC using QuickTime and have been able to for some time, provided they're just letting the Quicktime layer do the playing out to the sound driver and not trying to intercept the uncompressed audio samples themselves.

What this new SDK provides (from looking at the header) seems to be equivalent to the other means of control Mac OS users had over iTunes -- the AppleScript interface to iTunes. Looks to be the same set of data types and functions, just in COM and not OSA form.

In other words, it's still not sufficient to allow TiVo and others to do what they need to with protected AAC.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 11:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

This is how I am listening to my iTunes Music Store files on my TiVo:
(You will need a program called Hymn, Your iPod, and iTunes 4.5)

1. Buy songs from iTunes Music Store
2. Quit iTunes (iTunes cannot be open when you plug in the iPod)
3. Plug the iPod directly into the FireWire port on your computer (no other FireWire devices attached)
4. Open Hymn
5. Drag the iTMS files into the Hymn window
6. Click convert.
7. Now you have non-DRM'd AAC files
8. Open iTunes, pull in the non-DRM'd AAC files.
9. Highlight the files in iTunes, and in the Advanced Menu, click Convert to Mp3...
10. The files will convert to Mp3. Delete the AAC files in your iTunes and keep the Mp3's.

You can keep the original AACs if you want. I didn't do any sort of scientific comparison but I can't really tell the difference between an AAC file and an iTunes converted AAC to Mp3 (192 Kbps) file. I know a lot of people feel you shouldn't have to "convert" or "compress" a file you buy to use it the way you want, but that's the reality and that's how to do it.

AirPort Express

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ruc2827 is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 10:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ruc2827 Visit ruc2827's homepage! Find more posts by ruc2827 Add ruc2827 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruc2827

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
Trust us.. we would love to play iTunes Music Store content on TiVo DVRs, but for now Apple doesn't want third party apps/hardware playing the songs (as iTunes 4.5 reinforces). Unlike many of the companies that offered "unofficial" support we need to do things above board. I actually have a large amount of music purchased from iTMS so I want it as bad as everybody else, but not going to happen unless something changes on the licensing side.
Sounds like a good opportunity for TiVo to partner with Apple to help them provide TivoServer functionality to stream DRM-protected and non-protected AAC files directly to the TiVo. This way, they wouldn't have to unprotect the file itself, just provide a stream of it to the TiVo. Apple and TiVo have much of the same customer base, and seem to have some synergies in digital media, and technology investments (both use Linux-based technology stacks). Seems obvious for TiVo to partner with another industry leader like Apple. Surely you guys have had talks to explore possible opportunities?

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by iDriveX
This is how I am listening to my iTunes Music Store files on my TiVo:
(You will need a program called Hymn, Your iPod, and iTunes 4.5)

1. Buy songs from iTunes Music Store
2. Quit iTunes (iTunes cannot be open when you plug in the iPod)
3. Plug the iPod directly into the FireWire port on your computer (no other FireWire devices attached)
4. Open Hymn
5. Drag the iTMS files into the Hymn window
6. Click convert.
7. Now you have non-DRM'd AAC files
8. Open iTunes, pull in the non-DRM'd AAC files.
9. Highlight the files in iTunes, and in the Advanced Menu, click Convert to Mp3...
10. The files will convert to Mp3. Delete the AAC files in your iTunes and keep the Mp3's.

You can keep the original AACs if you want. I didn't do any sort of scientific comparison but I can't really tell the difference between an AAC file and an iTunes converted AAC to Mp3 (192 Kbps) file. I know a lot of people feel you shouldn't have to "convert" or "compress" a file you buy to use it the way you want, but that's the reality and that's how to do it.

Thats oviously for mac. You can get it for windows, but there's no GUI interface, you have to do a compand prompt. The one advantage however, is that you don't need an iPod for windows, just mac.

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 07:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

That's true. Sorry I live in an All Mac World and sometimes I forget there are other OSes and stuff. Sounds self centered, but work is Macs, play is Mac, Home is Mac and I post mainly on Mac Boards. And TiVo is so Apple-Like in some ways, that I forget it's not an Apple product. I guess I'm just one of those Apple apologists that loves everything Apple...

....I bought an iSight just to have one

AirPort Express

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpeedNut is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 05:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedNut Visit SpeedNut's homepage! Find more posts by SpeedNut Add SpeedNut to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SpeedNut

It would be nice if TiVo just supported more formats than mp3, now that there's a few unencoded formats out there (AAC, Apple Lossless Encoding, Ogg Vorbis, and even WMA). If individuals are confused as to why songs they bought online don't play, that's what makes great FAQ material.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

I wonder what our changes of getting an AirTunes client built into Tivo are. :-)

Air tunes doesn't decrypt AAC encrypted music. From what I Understand it re-encodes everything into Apples Lossless Codec and pushes it over the Ether to a decoder.

If AirTunes was built into the Tivo, and Tivo already has a server on the PC/Mac that can probably very easily control what iTunes is playing etc.... then perhaps AirTunes could be perfect for this application and yet NOT give the AAC Decode sceme to Tivo.

Just a thought.

KC

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ruc2827 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 10:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ruc2827 Visit ruc2827's homepage! Find more posts by ruc2827 Add ruc2827 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruc2827

quote:
I wonder what our changes of getting an AirTunes client built into Tivo are. :-)
KC

Apple just announced their own solution for streaming any iTunes music files from a PC or Mac to your stereo, so it is highly unlikely they'll support TiVo.

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 03:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

quote:
Originally posted by ruc2827
Apple just announced their own solution for streaming any iTunes music files from a PC or Mac to your stereo, so it is highly unlikely they'll support TiVo.

You missed my point... AirTunes is just a Software loaded onto the Hardware (in that case the Airport Express)

I would fully expect that in short order we will see other AirTunes Compliant devices.

KC

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ruc2827 is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 08:08 PM
ruc2827

quote:
You missed my point... AirTunes is just a Software loaded onto the Hardware (in that case the Airport Express)

I would fully expect that in short order we will see other AirTunes Compliant devices.

KC

Unfortunately as both a software and hardware vendor, Apple doesn't have much incentive to have their software run on non-Apple hardware, other than to gain a foothold into the non-PC entertainment market (which they already have a substantial foothold in ala iPod and now AirPort Express). It would be great though if what you say comes true. I'm all for it

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

theosophe74 is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for theosophe74 Find more posts by theosophe74 Add theosophe74 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theosophe74

Problems with Windows conversion

quote:
Originally posted by futerfas
Thats oviously for mac. You can get it for windows, but there's no GUI interface, you have to do a compand prompt. The one advantage however, is that you don't need an iPod for windows, just mac.

I was successfully able to use the command line interface to Hymn on Windows to convert a protected .m4p file that I purchased into an unprotected .m4a file. When I open that file, though, in iTunes 4.6 for Windows, I'm not given the option to convert my selection into MP3. Only AAC is listed as an option.

Am I doing something wrong, or does the 4.6 version of iTunes not support conversion to MP3?

Are there any other options for converting .m4a files into .mp3 files?

Thanks,
Mike

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 10:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

Go into iTunes prefrances, click import, and choose MP3. If that's allready selected then I believe iTunes did something in 4.6 to try to beat it again.

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

theosophe74 is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 01:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for theosophe74 Find more posts by theosophe74 Add theosophe74 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theosophe74

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the import format in settings was referring to the conversion format.

Thanks again,
Mike

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RadiusMan is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 07:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RadiusMan Visit RadiusMan's homepage! Find more posts by RadiusMan Add RadiusMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RadiusMan

quote:
Originally posted by iDriveX

I'd agree with everything you are saying except for this step 10. There's no reason to delete the AAC when you are replacing it with a worse sounding MP3. It's cool to use the MP3 for HMO, but for listening on the computer still (or on the iPod) this isn't a good idea.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged