TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> MY HDTiVo Just Died!!! <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
slocko is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 04:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for slocko Find more posts by slocko Add slocko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slocko
Advanced Member

Ouch!!!! I imagine VE's plan to hold some for replacement went out the window when they found out the limited quantities.

Defintely not a good thing to be first in this instance!

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chuckyoufarley is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chuckyoufarley Find more posts by chuckyoufarley Add chuckyoufarley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuckyoufarley

Robert seems like a good guy. I'm sure he'll do his best to take care of you.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 05:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gem Find more posts by gem Add gem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gem

quote:
Originally posted by chuckyoufarley
Robert seems like a good guy. I'm sure he'll do his best to take care of you.

I have no problem with Robert or VE, they have been great.
Having said that, I just want to know how do I get a replacement now.

quote:
Originally posted by DTV Tivo Dealer
"These units we're 100% thoroughly QC'ed and DIRECTV is holding new spare replacement HR10-250's."

-Robert

(1) HR10-250 (77/514 Hours)
(2) HDVR2's (144 and 141 Hours)
(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randym431 is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 06:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randym431 Find more posts by randym431 Add randym431 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randym431
Advanced Member

Bummer!!!
And the gnawing feeling it MAY just be a loose cable. The temptation to open it to see.
Bummer!!!!

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graphics is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graphics Find more posts by Graphics Add Graphics to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graphics

gem

quote:
They even claimed that VE had released the product without their permission.
The rep that told you this...was he hick-upping a lot or maybe sounded like he was ahhh Ummmm... Drinking?
Not to break your chops gem or anything, but then if this is true why would they give good ole Robert another shipment? Would you if he wasn't to release the product, and was supposed to sit till they said so. Hope your problem can be fixed, and If I were you I wouldn't take that unit (all $999.00+ worth) to anyplace but back to were I bought it, even if Weakness was across the street.

Broken! Make an offer as is.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

auee is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 06:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for auee Find more posts by auee Add auee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
auee

Sorry to hear about the demise of your unit.....

I've also ordered through VE (still waiting), but this is the first I've heard of the Protection Plan. When was it offered to you and how is it different from the warranty? Anyone know the length of the warranty on the HD Tivo?

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 07:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Does Pegasus warranty things, or do they just resell DirecTV's protection plan?

To my knowledge, they're on their own program. Problem is, no one there I've talked to has ever heard of this. Don't get me started talking about them not giving a credit like you guys get.....

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hongcho is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 07:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hongcho Find more posts by hongcho Add hongcho to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hongcho

> this is the first I've heard of the Protection Plan. When was it offered to you and how is it different from the warranty?

The Protection Plan is offerred by DirecTV. It's a monthly fee. It's like those cell phone equipment replacement month fees. I've never gotten it, though.

> Anyone know the length of the warranty on the HD Tivo?

One year, it seems from the manual.

Hong.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 07:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gem Find more posts by gem Add gem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gem

quote:
Originally posted by Graphics
gem The rep that told you this...was he hick-upping a lot or maybe sounded like he was ahhh Ummmm... Drinking?
Not to break your chops gem or anything, but then if this is true why would they give good ole Robert another shipment? Would you if he wasn't to release the product, and was supposed to sit till they said so. Hope your problem can be fixed, and If I were you I wouldn't take that unit (all $999.00+ worth) to anyplace but back to were I bought it, even if Weakness was across the street.

My chops are fine...my intent of sharing my experience was to alert all those that have or will have the HDTiVo.
I expect these comments from DirecTV CSRs because many of them make things up on the fly to try and appease the customer or defend their ignorance.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that DirecTV CSRs are in the dark based on other dealing with them. I was surprised to hear a more senior manager indicate that he was unaware that the product had actually been released and that DirecTV was promoting the HDTiVo on channel 500 with a March release date.

(1) HR10-250 (77/514 Hours)
(2) HDVR2's (144 and 141 Hours)
(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gfb107 is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 08:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gfb107 Find more posts by gfb107 Add gfb107 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gfb107
Advanced Member

Does the HR10-250 have a Warranty seal? I know the HDVR2 do not, so there is no way for anyone to know that you've opened it.

Any way, when my parents HDVR2 failed out-of-warranty, I took out the hard-drive and determined it had failed. I then checked with Maxtor about the warranty on the drive. It was still under warranty! So, I did got an expedited replacement (I had to provide a credit card number so they could ship the replacement immediately. They would have charged me the full retail for the drive if they didn't receive the bad one within 30 days.) I then used the MFSTools and an image I got from the underground.

Everything worked out smoothly, and I had the HDVR2 repaired in 2-3 days, instead of the month it would take DirecTV to provide a replacement, not to mention only having to spend $10-$12 in shipping just the drive instead of $20-$20 for shipping the whole HDVR2.

Philips DSR6000R DirecTiVo, 86 hours (40GB+60GB)
DirecTV HR10-250 HD-DirecTiVo
Samsung HLN507W1 DLP TV
Onkyo HTS760 HTIB
DirecTiVo or Standalone TiVo?
My TiVo distribution setup
Need a universal remote? Try the OFA URC-6131 (modifed for JP1)

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

flapbreaker is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 09:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for flapbreaker Find more posts by flapbreaker Add flapbreaker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flapbreaker

slightly off topic but I have seen some people mention that they are going to back up their hard drive as soon as they get the HDTivo. Do you have to use a spare 250Gb drive to back up to? Seems like a waste of a drive if so.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 09:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by flapbreaker
slightly off topic but I have seen some people mention that they are going to back up their hard drive as soon as they get the HDTivo. Do you have to use a spare 250Gb drive to back up to? Seems like a waste of a drive if so.
No, the backup image is compressed. I think it's been reported as about 2GB.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrComputer is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 11:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrComputer Find more posts by DrComputer Add DrComputer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrComputer

When I activated my HD receiver, the CSR tried to sell me the protection plan for $7.99/month. I questioned him about if it would cover my existing TiVo and new HD Tivo (when it arrived). At first he said everything was covered. I asked if he was sure the Tivo’s would be covered. That’s when he started to read the actual agreement from his screen. It clearly has an EXCLUSION for “advanced receivers” which it later defined as “PVR’s and HD receivers”. So their wonderful protection plan ONLY covers basic boxes, the dish and wiring… all of which are worth very little. So be careful if you have purchased the Protection Plan and think your TiVo’s (and other HD receivers) are covered.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

litzdog911 is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 12:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for litzdog911 Find more posts by litzdog911 Add litzdog911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
litzdog911
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by hongcho
> this is the first I've heard of the Protection Plan. When was it offered to you and how is it different from the warranty?

The Protection Plan is offerred by DirecTV. It's a monthly fee. It's like those cell phone equipment replacement month fees. I've never gotten it, though.

> Anyone know the length of the warranty on the HD Tivo?

One year, it seems from the manual.

Hong.

The manual says "1 year parts and labor", but the product brochure and retailer web sites all state "1 year parts, 90 days labor." I hope that the manual has the final authoritative word on this.

Sony SAT-A4 Receiver (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 Receiver (Rec Room)
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
Sony STR-DA4ES Dolby Digital Receiver

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

litzdog911 is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 12:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for litzdog911 Find more posts by litzdog911 Add litzdog911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
litzdog911
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by gfb107
Does the HR10-250 have a Warranty seal?

Other have previously reported that the HR10-250 does not have a warranty seal on the case.

Sony SAT-A4 Receiver (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 Receiver (Rec Room)
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
Sony STR-DA4ES Dolby Digital Receiver

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AZBullDog is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 01:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AZBullDog Find more posts by AZBullDog Add AZBullDog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AZBullDog

quote:
Originally posted by DrComputer
When I activated my HD receiver, the CSR tried to sell me the protection plan for $7.99/month. I questioned him about if it would cover my existing TiVo and new HD Tivo (when it arrived). At first he said everything was covered. I asked if he was sure the Tivo’s would be covered. That’s when he started to read the actual agreement from his screen. It clearly has an EXCLUSION for “advanced receivers” which it later defined as “PVR’s and HD receivers”. So their wonderful protection plan ONLY covers basic boxes, the dish and wiring… all of which are worth very little. So be careful if you have purchased the Protection Plan and think your TiVo’s (and other HD receivers) are covered.

Well unless I just got very lucky I don't think this is accurate. I have the protection plan because during my move I lost both my UltimateTV's (GOD DO I MISS THEM - Tivo is very good but UTV was the Ultimate - pun intended) and ended up in a big war with D* that in the end I got 2 Samsung Tivo units.

Anyhow I got the Samsung HD rcvr also and just had it replaced 2 days ago under the replacement plan. Already got the new HD unit (it is refurb but what warranty doesn't give you refurb product). And on the paperwork it stated if you didn't return unit in 7 days you would be billed (listed 4 or 5 price points up to $400) depending on receiver sent. So seems to be standard since the only $400+ receiver is HD.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 01:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

[/rant on]Wait a minute. In the original thread when this came up Robert insisted that DirecTV was keeping some spares. This is exactly the B.S. that I was afraid of. On a hot selling unit like this, on the volume he is selling, he better damn well make sure he has some spares at least for failures in the first 30 days (at the very least). He shouldn't be depending on DirecTV in any shape or form with the volume he has and the problem he has already had with DirecTV keeping their word. He throws out a statement about not worrying about DOA and when I ask a follow up question asking about specifics of course it is ignored. And it sure looks like the only way to get any electronic response from VE is on these boards since e-mail sure doesn't work.

Like I said in my follow up post I like many others are selling their existing HD units to help defray the expense of the box so a DOA (within 30 days is DOA in my book) is not cool. I'll definitely be holding on to my regular HD box for at least 30 days (or until I get real verification DirecTV has their heads out of their a%$#$ on this), but I feel sorry for those that already sold theirs.

Maybe Robert needs to seriously consider at least sending people a spare regular HD unit if neither DirecTV or VE can keep spares in stock for DOA??[/rant off]

I'll be watching this thread very closely. Obviously at this point it sure looks like mfstools self insurance is a great idea. Thanks DirecTV for making me feel like I have to void my warranty to protect myself.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...859#post1872859

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...374#post1873374

Last edited by turls on 04-30-2004 at 01:47 PM

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 02:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

turls, remember the general accuracy of DirecTV CSR's too. There may very well be spares.

Most of us who've activated spent a good deal of time convincing them the unit is manufactured by DirecTV and found under DirecTV, not Hughes, in their database.

Somehow I don't think it's too far fetched to believe they don't even know there's a closet full of spares somewhere in their offices specifically to deal with DOA's. Remember, this is also the first DirecTV-branded receiver and so DirecTV is going to have to deal with warranty issues, not refer them to "the manufacturer."

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 02:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

First, he talked to support in the protection plan group, which should be a notch above the typical CSR (or did he? His posts seem to contradict themselves). I believe the protection plan guys were a little clueless about HD and Tivo a few years ago, but from what I've heard they are better now. Does this mean they are automatically "in the know" about the new HD Tivo? No, but it sure doesn't give me warm fuzzies when I don't even have the protection plan and he is running into that kind of resistance.

Second, its common for failures within 30 days to be referred back to the original seller. Within 30 days is commonly "DOA". I still say Robert should not be depending on DirecTV 100% for DOA failures. The thing wrong with the picture so far is that you'd think VE would talk to whoever they need to talk to at DirecTV and get the matter resolved without getting the customer in the middle, if all parties involved were truly ready for x percentage of DOA's.

Color me happily surprised if Gem gets good info and resolution Friday or Monday from whoever at DirecTV Graham/Robert from VE is supposedly getting him in contact with.

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
turls, remember the general accuracy of DirecTV CSR's too. There may very well be spares.

Most of us who've activated spent a good deal of time convincing them the unit is manufactured by DirecTV and found under DirecTV, not Hughes, in their database.

Somehow I don't think it's too far fetched to believe they don't even know there's a closet full of spares somewhere in their offices specifically to deal with DOA's. Remember, this is also the first DirecTV-branded receiver and so DirecTV is going to have to deal with warranty issues, not refer them to "the manufacturer."

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 02:34 PM
turls
Advanced Member

Not to turn this into a PP thread, but I also think this is false. Initially, it was one price for everything. I'm pretty sure there is a "higher" monthly price (perhaps the 7.99 you were quoted) for those with "advanced" equipment. The exclusions may only apply to the basic plan.

quote:
Originally posted by DrComputer
So their wonderful protection plan ONLY covers basic boxes, the dish and wiring… all of which are worth very little. So be careful if you have purchased the Protection Plan and think your TiVo’s (and other HD receivers) are covered.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged