TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> MY HDTiVo Just Died!!! <<<

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gem is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 01:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gem Find more posts by gem Add gem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gem

MY HDTiVo Just Died!!! Born 4/6/04 - Died 4/29/04

Got home a little bit ago and my new HR10-250 was powering up.
Thought to my self, "maybe a software upgrade?".

Waited and waited and waited.

Unplugged the unit for the obigatory 7 minutes (according the DTV), and nothing.

Needless to say I'm bummed.

Not only does it look like the hard drive took a header but I lost all my shows that my wife and I were going to watch this weekend.

I guess my question for the group is, should I contact Robert or DirecTV?
I have the protection plan.

(1) HR10-250 (77/514 Hours)
(2) HDVR2's (144 and 141 Hours)
(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

Last edited by gem on 05-05-2004 at 05:55 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CHAS ZOSS is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CHAS ZOSS Find more posts by CHAS ZOSS Add CHAS ZOSS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHAS ZOSS

CONTACT!

BOTH!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 02:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard
TiVo Forum Special Member

Contact ValueElectronics first. Robert should be able to get you a replacement quicker. DirecTV might be able to get you a non TiVo HD receiver but I can't imagine DirecTV can get a replacement TiVo yet.

Chris

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerhard
Contact ValueElectronics first. Robert should be able to get you a replacement quicker. DirecTV might be able to get you a non TiVo HD receiver but I can't imagine DirecTV can get a replacement TiVo yet.
DirecTV has stock for replacements. Remember it's a DirecTV-braded unit now, so that's your warranty coverage contact.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 02:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Do you think Pegasus will cover these under their warranty as well?

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnA is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 02:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnA Find more posts by JohnA Add JohnA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnA

Bummer, the first known causality for this series. Damn hard drives. Usually if the hard drive survives the first 250 hours of life it will last to it's full life expectancy.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by tfederov
Do you think Pegasus will cover these under their warranty as well?
Does Pegasus warranty things, or do they just resell DirecTV's protection plan?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 03:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gem Find more posts by gem Add gem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gem

Update on the replacement saga.

DirecTV DOES NOT have a replacement inventory according to a customer support manager. There is currently a waiting list.

The Protection Plan DOES NOT kick in until a minimum of thirty days has lapsed. Until then, the supplier is responsible for warranty replacement.

After thirty days the Protection Plan will replace the unit, assuming they have inventory.

They gave me a number for Hughes DirecTV and suggested they might be able to help. Their response "Call 800-DirecTV, we do not support the HD TiVo, that is their product".

In contacting Value Electronics, they are working to get a replacement through DirecTV for me.

I have this sinking feeling that I'm going to be out a unit for quite some time.

I just hope that none of the other 168 (175) have a problem since no one is ready.

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

Last edited by gem on 04-30-2004 at 03:06 AM

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnTivo is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnTivo Find more posts by JohnTivo Add JohnTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnTivo
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by gem

DirecTV DOES NOT have a replacement inventory according to a customer support manager. There is currently a waiting list.

The Protection Plan DOES NOT kick in until a minimum of thirty days has lapsed. Until then, the supplier is responsible for warranty replacement.

After thirty days the Protection Plan will replace the unit, assuming they have inventory.

They gave me a number for Hughes DirecTV and suggested they might be able to help. Their response "Call 800-DirecTV, we do not support the HD TiVo, that is their product".

In contacting Value Electronics, they are working to get a replacement through DirecTV for me.

I have this sinking feeling that I'm going to be out a unit for quite some time.

I just hope that none of the other 168 (175) have a problem since no one is ready.

If Robert can't get you a unit any time soon, why not contact Weaknees or pvtupgrade and see if they can supply you with an image? If they will, then buy a new harddrive and send the "faulty" one in for replacement...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

litzdog911 is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 03:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for litzdog911 Find more posts by litzdog911 Add litzdog911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
litzdog911

gem:
Look at it this way .... you'll go down in history as the first HR10-250 failure

Seriously, keep us posted on what happens. I'm sure you won't be the last failure.

Sony SAT-A4 Receiver (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 Receiver (Rec Room)
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
Sony STR-DA4ES Dolby Digital Receiver

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graphics is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 03:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graphics Find more posts by Graphics Add Graphics to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graphics

Robert had posted in this forum (*The thread is ?) ~ That VE was holding a "few" replacement units that were for his customers that were eventually DOA Unit Replacements ~ I WOULD CALL ASAP! ~ Plus the fact he probably is busier than hell today and might be almost impossible to contact. (The second allotment shipped today ~ I think!). What a bummer on the unit. Wanna bet it was the power supply? anyone?

Broken! Make an offer as is.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 03:48 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Graphics
Wanna bet it was the power supply? anyone?
I know the thing doesn't have the most powerful supply in the world, but I'd almost always lean towards the hard drive as my first guess of the point of failure.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

litzdog911 is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 03:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for litzdog911 Find more posts by litzdog911 Add litzdog911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
litzdog911

quote:
Originally posted by Graphics
Wanna bet it was the power supply? anyone?

Much more likely that it's a hard drive problem. It could be something as simple as a loose IDE or power cable to the hard drive. Or loose cable from the power supply to motherboard.

Sony SAT-A4 Receiver (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 Receiver (Rec Room)
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
Sony STR-DA4ES Dolby Digital Receiver

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShiningBengal is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBengal Find more posts by ShiningBengal Add ShiningBengal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

quote:
If Robert can't get you a unit any time soon, why not contact Weaknees or pvtupgrade and see if they can supply you with an image? If they will, then buy a new harddrive and send the "faulty" one in for replacement...

Not a good idea--voiding the warranty on a brand new HD TiVo! What if there are other issues down the line?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chuckyoufarley is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chuckyoufarley Find more posts by chuckyoufarley Add chuckyoufarley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuckyoufarley

quote:
Originally posted by gem

How many other HD tivos are jacked up? I assume its more than just yours based on you having to be placed in a waiting list for a replacement.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie

Poor management move if you ask me. D* should of expected some failures and had some replacements on hand. Hopefully they get some in very soon.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 04:28 AM
gem

It is definitely a hard drive problem, not power supply. The noise coming from the drive is very unsettling as it wipes away all my hard earned recordings.

I got the impression in talking to Graham at VE, they do not have a replacement inventory. He indicated that Robert would have someone from DirecTV contact me tomorrow.

As far as the waiting list in concerned, they said I was the first to call. Based on the number shipped, this is possible. I think the waiting list was for new orders and I would be added to that list. Probably at the end since it doesn't produce revenue.

If all else fails, I will contact Weaknees. I have dealt with them before and they are super. BTW they are 5 minutes from where I live.

The most upsetting thing about the failure, beyond the obvious, is that DirecTV was not prepared for the release on this product. They even claimed that VE had released the product without their permission.

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 04:30 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakzie
Poor management move if you ask me. D* should of expected some failures and had some replacements on hand. Hopefully they get some in very soon.

Have you not yet learned from these threads the difference between "of" and "have". And here we thought you were paying attention.

Get with it!

At the very least start using contractions if you can't handle the whole 4 letters!

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 04:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie

My programming is not capable of using contractions. In all seriousness I keep forgetting!

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toeside Find more posts by Toeside Add Toeside to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toeside

Regarding voiding the warranty. I've heard that there is no seal on the case, so there's no evidence of it being opened.

I'm against falsing claiming warranty work, but if you use your own hard drive with your own image, and something fails other than the hard drive, you should be entitled to warranty repair/replacement. If the drive fails, then you can just fix it yourself.

I plan on backing up my drive the day I get my HD TiVo. Then, when drives get cheaper I'll restore that image to a new 400GB, and add a 2nd 400GB drive providing dual 400s will work.

If I ever have a failure of something other than the drives, I'll toss the WD250 back in and send it for repair.

Craig

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged