TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> MY HDTiVo Just Died!!! <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
minorthr is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 06:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for minorthr Find more posts by minorthr Add minorthr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
minorthr
Want HMO for DirecTv

The $7.99 is for advanced products which includes HD receivers and Tivos. I have had 2 tivos replaced with the protection plan and never had an issue. The $5.99 plan covers normal receivers.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gem Find more posts by gem Add gem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gem

I spoke with Robert this morning and he said that he has a contact at DirecTV that will get me a new replacement immediately.
Someone from DirecTV is to contact me today to arrange for the shipment.
We shall see.

I have had the protection plan for some time now and found it to be excellent. I had a SDTiVo die and within 2 days had a replacement. DirecTV paid for the shipment and return. I also has a problem last year with signal strength and they replaced my dish and multi-switch within 3 days of calling.

(1) HR10-250 (77/514 Hours)
(2) HDVR2's (144 and 141 Hours)
(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 08:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

Good to hear. That's how it should be handled. I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes and detail the actual return/RMA process.

Although the unanswered question is still what about stuff outside of DOA/30 days for those that don't have the protection plan.

quote:
Originally posted by gem
I spoke with Robert this morning and he said that he has a contact at DirecTV that will get me a new replacement immediately.
Someone from DirecTV is to contact me today to arrange for the shipment.
We shall see.

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paperboy2003 is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paperboy2003 Find more posts by Paperboy2003 Add Paperboy2003 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

My condolences...can I send over a platter or something to help you through this tough time?

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gem Find more posts by gem Add gem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gem

quote:
Originally posted by turls
Although the unanswered question is still what about stuff outside of DOA/30 days for those that don't have the protection plan.

I will keep everyone informed of DirecTV's actions.

I think turls brings up an interesting question. Assuming the manufacturers warranty is one year and that DirecTV is the manufacturer, DirecTV should provide replacements for at least the first 90 days (if that is the labor warranty) or a full year if the parts and labor are one year.

After that period, those with the protection plan should use that. Those without will have to deal with whomever, like any electronic product with an expired warranty.

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 09:15 PM
gem

quote:
Originally posted by Paperboy2003
My condolences...can I send over a platter or something to help you through this tough time?

Are you referring to a platter on a hard drive or a platter of food?
At this point either would be acceptable. Thanks for the offer.

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graphics is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graphics Find more posts by Graphics Add Graphics to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graphics

gem ~ Write down the serial number of the unit...You can even PM or e-mail that info to Doug for safe keeping, I'm wondering when you ship this bad boy back to D*and they fix it (after they send you the replacement as you stated) who's gonna be the LUCKY one to get this fixed unit THE SECOND TIME AROUND? and think they are getting a NEW UNIT, which in fact they wont, it would be considered a re-manufactured unit from the repair and return Dept. of the manufacture ~ And will D* ever advise you what the had found? I'm glad from what I'm reading that they are arraigning a swap out for you, good luck.

Broken! Make an offer as is.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toeside is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 11:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toeside Find more posts by Toeside Add Toeside to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toeside

My guess is gem's repaired unit will go in the pool of available replacements. When you get a replacement, they never say you are getting a new, never used receiver. Odds are that his replacement will be new, but months down the road, odds are that replacements won't be new.

Craig

Philips DSR6000r x2
Hughes HR10-250 05/08/04
Harmony H680
Mits WS-55413
Mits DD-8040 with DCDi

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 12:07 AM
gem

Just for the record, it's now after 11:00 am in LA and no call from DirecTV.

When I received my replacement for my SDTiVo is was clearly marked as "Refurbished". I would strongly suspect that the HR10-250's will be the same. No sticker and it's probably a new unit.

Graphics,

I will PM the serial number to Doug as you suggested

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 12:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

I guess we wait and see; for future reference, anyone getting a unit (probably after early to mid May 2004) with a manufacture date of 6-Apr-04 (or one marked refurbished) who wonders if they're getting his refurbished unit, just PM me the last few digits of your serial number and if they match we'll compare the whole thing.

This assumes they don't assign new serial numbers to refurbished units, of course.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 01:09 AM
gem

Update:

I did get a call from DirecTV at 11:55 am.

A replacement will be sent from the fulfillment center. "If you don't receive it by Wednesday, here is my direct number, give me a call."

I indicated that Robert had said he would push for a Saturday delivery with Monday being the worst case.

At that point silence...."I'm sure they will get it out sooner. so you may receive it tomorrow or Monday". Can I get a tracking number?

"You will probably get the unit before I can get a number."

"You know, this had to go pretty high up within DirecTV to get you a replacement."

Got a call back and was told to expect the unit Monday or Tuesday.

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

Last edited by gem on 05-01-2004 at 02:09 AM

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 02:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by gem
Update:

"You know, this had to go pretty high up within DirecTV to get you a replacement."

I realize it's a very in demand item and you probably are lucky to get a replacement this soon, but do they have to say *that*?

A simple "we're sorry for the inconvenience and we hope this will make you a happy DirecTV customer" goes a lot further than the "I hope you appreciate what we're doing for you!" attitude.

Glad you got it resolved though.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Gromit
I realize it's a very in demand item and you probably are lucky to get a replacement this soon, but do they have to say *that*?

A simple "we're sorry for the inconvenience and we hope this will make you a happy DirecTV customer" goes a lot further than the "I hope you appreciate what we're doing for you!" attitude.

Glad you got it resolved though.

I think this is a new experience for the people at DirecTV too. Moreso when someone high up at DirecTV tells whoever called him to call and take care of it. The shock and awe effect, to borrow a recently coined term, probably.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 02:49 AM
gem

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
I think this is a new experience for the people at DirecTV too. Moreso when someone high up at DirecTV tells whoever called him to call and take care of it. The shock and awe effect, to borrow a recently coined term, probably.

It was clear that the person who called me was lower in the food chain.
Having said that, she sounded as if she might work directly for this higher up individual. Just got a sense of that.

Anyway, I feel like I'm still on the pre-order list waiting for my HDTiVo.

Of course it's more like being with a woman who teases you for a week and then says "Not now I have a headache, but is should be better Monday or Tuesday".

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Flogduh is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 05:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Flogduh Find more posts by Flogduh Add Flogduh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flogduh

quote:
Originally posted by turls
First, he talked to support in the protection plan group, which should be a notch above the typical CSR (or did he? His posts seem to contradict themselves). I believe the protection plan guys were a little clueless about HD and Tivo a few years ago, but from what I've heard they are better now. Does this mean they are automatically "in the know" about the new HD Tivo? No, but it sure doesn't give me warm fuzzies when I don't even have the protection plan and he is running into that kind of resistance....

Matt

I'm not of the belief the DTV support has a clue just yet on much of anything TiVo based. I've found the CSR's in the TiVo speciality group, for the most part, aren't well versed on the DTiVos and those boxes have been in DTV's support group how long now? I know from first hand experience how poorly their support group is prepared to handle the TiVo based products. They instructed me to do a reset of Thumbs & Guide data for a problem I had and that action ended up hosing my HDVR2. I found out later (from my TiVo contacts) what I really should have done was a different procedure, something TiVo has explicitly documented for the TiVo Speciality Group in order to handle situations just like the one I was faced with.

I'd wait to hear from Robert before we trust anything coming out of the CSR group at DTV.

Dan

Hitachi 57G500 HDRPTV, Sony Sat T-60 since 3/12/01 (108 hrs), Philips DSR6000R since 6/15/01 (35 hrs), Hughes HDVR2 since 12/13/02 (69 hrs), Philips DSR704 since 2/14/04 (35 hrs), Samsung SIR T360 since 2/24/04, another Philips DSR704 since 4/30/04 (35 hrs)

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Flogduh is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 05:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Flogduh Find more posts by Flogduh Add Flogduh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flogduh

Damn, gotta read the ENTIRE thread before I post next time. (but it's nice to see it work out for all involved!!)

Flog

Hitachi 57G500 HDRPTV, Sony Sat T-60 since 3/12/01 (108 hrs), Philips DSR6000R since 6/15/01 (35 hrs), Hughes HDVR2 since 12/13/02 (69 hrs), Philips DSR704 since 2/14/04 (35 hrs), Samsung SIR T360 since 2/24/04, another Philips DSR704 since 4/30/04 (35 hrs)

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 10:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

Now they're doing you a favor? VE was the one who said DirecTV had it covered. If it takes going to the top every time, well that's what it will take.

I wonder what the other vendors besides VE are doing?

I'd love to know how many arms Robert really had to twist to get this done. And if DirecTV is really prepared for more DOA's or not or if every time it will be a "special case" and the treatment will get worse the more of these get out.

quote:
Originally posted by gem

Got a call back and was told to expect the unit Monday or Tuesday.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 10:21 AM
turls
Advanced Member

My point was protection plan group <> csr. They should be better. I believe gem talked to both.

quote:
Originally posted by Flogduh
I'd wait to hear from Robert before we trust anything coming out of the CSR group at DTV.

Dan

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 12:22 PM
gem

Just to clarify my discussions with DirecTV.

Since I have the protection plan, all my calls, based on my home phone number, get routed to the Protection Plan Group directly.

Once it was obvious that the Protection Plan CSR could not help, I was transferred to the TiVo Specialty Group.

The TiVo Specialty Group CSR was the one who provided all of the initial information as I discussed in this thread.

It was only after calling and speaking with Robert that someone with factual information from DirecTV called.

Keep in mind, my whole intent on documenting my experience was to give you insight on my frustration and concerns. The amount of my time spent to resolve this problem, in my opinion, was unnecessary. DirecTV should have been prepared. Hopefully in the future they will be but for now Robert is your best bet.

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

Last edited by gem on 05-01-2004 at 07:47 PM

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chris_h is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 12:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chris_h Find more posts by chris_h Add chris_h to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chris_h

I am curious to know if you are one of the lucky 50 that got the email from VE re "our bank may call you to find out how happy you are with your HR10-250 unit." That could be an interesting conversation.

Also, this community is probably not a good one to incite.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged