TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> MY HDTiVo Just Died!!! <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
LarryInAz is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 03:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LarryInAz Find more posts by LarryInAz Add LarryInAz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LarryInAz
TiVo-holic since '99

If in fact it is the hard drive and if D* did not have any replacement stock it would sure be nice if they offered to send you a replacement hard drive assuming you have the comfort factor in changing the drive yourself.

I know this would normally void the warranty but IMHO a high ticket item like this should get some form of "special dispensation".

Sold 2 Series2 units to pay for HR10-250 * [63 HD hours]

* Original HR10 "born" April 6th arrived April 22nd Died August 25th
Replacement HR10 "born" July 16th arrived September 3rd, re-upgraded 9/6

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PRMan is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 06:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PRMan Visit PRMan's homepage! Find more posts by PRMan Add PRMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PRMan

It may have something to do with the "unprotected power supply" that they keep warning us about. If he accidentally tounched it and something bad happened, they'd be staring at a major lawsuit.

I agree, though, many of us feel very comfortable around bare hard drives.

Hope you get your new unit tomorrow, gem.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 07:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by PRMan
It may have something to do with the "unprotected power supply" that they keep warning us about. If he accidentally tounched it and something bad happened, they'd be staring at a major lawsuit.

I agree, though, many of us feel very comfortable around bare hard drives.

Hope you get your new unit tomorrow, gem.

Every day the local paper has stories about the dozens of people who were injured or killed the day before when touching unprotected power supplies.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

talbain is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 10:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for talbain Find more posts by talbain Add talbain to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
talbain

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Every day the local paper has stories about the dozens of people who were injured or killed the day before when touching unprotected power supplies.

you must live in a town with one hell of a stupid population...

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteveWinNJ is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 10:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteveWinNJ Find more posts by SteveWinNJ Add SteveWinNJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteveWinNJ

quote:
Originally posted by talbain
you must live in a town with one hell of a stupid population...

Yep, stupid people all around us!

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 11:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWinNJ
Yep, stupid people all around us!

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 11:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gem Find more posts by gem Add gem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gem

The saga continues!

Called "my contact" at DirecTV for a tracking number in the new unit which was promised to be shipped last Friday.

Got a call back 2 1/2 hours later explaining that the shipment was not made because the fulfillment center did not have any HR10-250's.
This of course was after "my contact" had verified the inventory.

They now have magically found them and I now have a promise for shipment today overnight FedEx.
Of course "my contact" could not tell me which overnight service to expect.

REALLY BUMMED!

(1) HR10-250 (77/514 Hours)
(2) HDVR2's (144 and 141 Hours)
(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 02:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gem Find more posts by gem Add gem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gem

STILL NO REPLACEMENT HD-TIVO!

An order for the replacement unit was sent to FedEx to be shipped from an inventory keep by FedEx in Memphis. The order was received by FedEx, but now they can't find the package.
I now have been told I will receive it tomorrow morning for sure.....right!

It is clear that DirecTV does have the infrastructure in place to support this product. I hope that those of you who have the HD-TiVo don't have a failure. Good luck in getting it replaced timely.

NO LONGER BUMMED....REALLY PISSED!

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie
TiVo Forum Special Member

Man that is really ridicules!

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

This whole thread makes me want to buy another one just for spare parts!

Hope you get it tomorrow as promised!

Mike

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakzie Find more posts by Kamakzie Add Kamakzie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakzie

Makes me want to stick a mirror in front of mine and see if it's still breathing.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

I'm still trying to figure out whether it is better (for the unit) to put it in standby when not using it or leave it on. One theory says that it is better to leave the electronics on all the time than power them off. Personally, I'm not sure I believe that in the case of the Tivo. I think the HD stays powered up even in standby mode, so the only thing you'd be turning off is the stepping motor for the heads and the video circuit. To me, not constantly tapping the heads around sounds like a good idea, as does not generating extra heat from running the video circuits when not needed. Not to mention that if you are constantly writing to the hard drive, power surges should have a much better chance of affecting the HD than if it wasn't writing at the time.

Not sure.

Mike

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kamakzie is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 04:09 AM
Kamakzie

Even in standby it's still essentially on.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cajonkev is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 04:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cajonkev Find more posts by Cajonkev Add Cajonkev to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cajonkev
PIBCAK

quote:
Originally posted by mchaney
I'm still trying to figure out whether it is better (for the unit) to put it in standby when not using it or leave it on. One theory says that it is better to leave the electronics on all the time than power them off. Personally, I'm not sure I believe that in the case of the Tivo. I think the HD stays powered up even in standby mode, so the only thing you'd be turning off is the stepping motor for the heads and the video circuit. To me, not constantly tapping the heads around sounds like a good idea, as does not generating extra heat from running the video circuits when not needed. Not to mention that if you are constantly writing to the hard drive, power surges should have a much better chance of affecting the HD than if it wasn't writing at the time.

Not sure.

Mike

Standby is a RF Pass-thru feature more than anything else. It does not put any TiVo into true standby and does not shut down the drive(s). It does halt the video output but everything stays running in background...

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 05:41 AM
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

quote:
Originally posted by Cajonkev
Standby is a RF Pass-thru feature more than anything else. It does not put any TiVo into true standby and does not shut down the drive(s). It does halt the video output but everything stays running in background...

It does stop the buffering to the drive though and when you put it in standby, you can hear a physical decline in drive head activity. For that reason alone, I've decided to keep mine in standby.

Mike

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gem is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 06:04 AM
gem

I had two different groups at DirecTV say that is was the retailer's responsibility to replace any defective unit within the first thirty days. The fact that Robert is able to get DirecTV to support this failure (of course not yet) does not help others who have dealt with companies who kept no spare inventory. DirecTV may decline to help others leaving the retailer as the responsible party. If you have not yet received your unit a call to the retailer, in advance, requesting their support policy might be worth doing.

quote:
Originally posted by turls
First, he talked to support in the protection plan group, which should be a notch above the typical CSR (or did he? His posts seem to contradict themselves). I believe the protection plan guys were a little clueless about HD and Tivo a few years ago, but from what I've heard they are better now. Does this mean they are automatically "in the know" about the new HD Tivo? No, but it sure doesn't give me warm fuzzies when I don't even have the protection plan and he is running into that kind of resistance.

Second, its common for failures within 30 days to be referred back to the original seller. Within 30 days is commonly "DOA". I still say Robert should not be depending on DirecTV 100% for DOA failures. The thing wrong with the picture so far is that you'd think VE would talk to whoever they need to talk to at DirecTV and get the matter resolved without getting the customer in the middle, if all parties involved were truly ready for x percentage of DOA's.

Color me happily surprised if Gem gets good info and resolution Friday or Monday from whoever at DirecTV Graham/Robert from VE is supposedly getting him in contact with.

(1) SD-DVR40 (35 Hours)

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 06:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

I find it offensive when they say that 'it went pretty high up in the food chain' or whatever. I hate it when people imply they're doing me a favor by providing good customer service. They SHOULD be falling all over themselves to hand deliver that damned thing to gem before he goes to the press and says this thing doesn't work. Because there are plenty of people in the press who'd love an opportunity to strike another blow at the much beloved Tivo.

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

herdfan is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 07:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for herdfan Find more posts by herdfan Add herdfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
herdfan
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by gem
I had two different groups at DirecTV say that is was the retailer's responsibility to replace any defective unit within the first thirty days.

I may have a similar situation in that my HDMI port does not work. I am still trying to figure out if it is the box or the TV. My dealer lent me a Toshiba DST-3100 to try on the DVI input. If it works, then my HR10-250 has a bad HDMI port.

Now given that I have HD over component, I could possibly wait until 30 days have passed to report this as an issue. I will contact SolidSignal to see what their situation is regarding returns. Or possibly see if I can get another unit and ebay this one with a bad port (Yes, I will disclose it, but people will bid on it anyway). I will post the result of my test in a new thread. But I need to wait now while my wife watches NCIS.

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FatherTed is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 08:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FatherTed Find more posts by FatherTed Add FatherTed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FatherTed
Summer's eve pickle

quote:
Originally posted by litzdog911
gem:
Look at it this way .... you'll go down in history as the first HR10-250 failure

Seriously, keep us posted on what happens. I'm sure you won't be the last failure.

Well, since he said:

quote:
DirecTV DOES NOT have a replacement inventory according to a customer support manager. There is currently a waiting list.

it would sound like he's not the first if there's a list already for replacements.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 10:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

This type of thing is why neither VE or any other vendor should depend on DirecTV to back them up during their period of responsibility for DOA units. The manufacturers aren't built to deal with this. I guess you could say DirecTV is a little different animal than the typical CE company, but it sounds like they've dropped the ball so far much worse than if VE had just taken care of it themselves.

Although the sad thing like you said is maybe other vendors won't even make the phone call to DirecTV and you are completely on your own.

It continues to amaze me DirecTV was blindsided by the response to this box.

quote:
Originally posted by gem
I had two different groups at DirecTV say that is was the retailer's responsibility to replace any defective unit within the first thirty days. The fact that Robert is able to get DirecTV to support this failure (of course not yet) does not help others who have dealt with companies who kept no spare inventory. DirecTV may decline to help others leaving the retailer as the responsible party. If you have not yet received your unit a call to the retailer, in advance, requesting their support policy might be worth doing.

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged