TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Ebay Tivo's.....make me sick to my stomach. <<<

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Morg111 is offline Old Post 05-04-2004 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Morg111 Find more posts by Morg111 Add Morg111 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Morg111

Ebay Tivo's.....make me sick to my stomach.

I sure hope that no member of this forum had bought the Tivo and is now selling the unit on Ebay for the insulting prices listed there. I add my 2 cents on this because members of this forum should be electronics fanatics not two-bit sleazy middle men. We share information on this forum to help one another, not to take advantage and later use our interests to try and rip us off.

Just my opinion...

M.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lalouque is offline Old Post 05-04-2004 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lalouque Find more posts by lalouque Add lalouque to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lalouque
BikerQuilterCatOwner

Gee, I don't think anyone is forced to pay outrageous prices on eBay. Idiots will be idiots.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drober30 is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drober30 Find more posts by drober30 Add drober30 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drober30

Well there are two sides to every story.... I place the blame on Hughes for charging $1k for these. I cant afford it but am not willing to go without it (story of my life).

I have spent many months searching the Internet and trying to get my TiVo. I consider the frustration I experienced work on my part so if my two orders come in while there is still a high demand then I will be selling one for a markup to someone who has the money.

The extra money will help reduce my price and I will consider it payment for all the work I had to do to get it.

I will not be trying to double my money but will look to offset the price.

Plus if you don't want to pay it then don't. This is the approach I took with the $1k MSRP (and paid it).

And by the way... I did share information with everybody regarding RS and a few have already received their TiVo's due to the information I shared. So I guess I'm trying to say... although I know where your coming from I sure wont feel guilty listing one of my TiVo's for sale.

Last edited by drober30 on 05-05-2004 at 12:12 AM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Morg111 is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Morg111 Find more posts by Morg111 Add Morg111 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Morg111

Both of you missed the point,

My issue isn't with those that will pay. All of us love this stuff to the point of paying more. Paying more, idiots or not is up to the individual, his/her income, and level of desire . My point is: those who would use this forum and its members to help themselves should consider what they are doing to the very people who time and again help them. Perhaps I should have added that along with my hope that its non-members selling, I hope its non-members purchasing as well.

M.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

plehrack is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for plehrack Find more posts by plehrack Add plehrack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plehrack

A willing buyer and a willing seller? What could be more American than that?

Peter

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marco is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marco Find more posts by Marco Add Marco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco
Malfeasor

Strange attitude, I must say.

I am not a seller, but say I was. If I didn't step over anybody's mother to get a box (I waited in a merchant's pre-order line), what would be so ethically suspect about auctioning that box?

If someone wants to pay a premium to essentially buy my early place in line, rather than wait at the back with everyone else, then the buyer gets what he wants and I'd get a nice profit. If not, my loss.

Marc
1 HR10-250; 1xDSR6000, 1xDVR40; People evangelized to date: 19

I was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to kick in. -- Hunter S. Tolkien

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegarrett is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegarrett Find more posts by joegarrett Add joegarrett to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegarrett
DTiVo Junkie

quote:
Originally posted by Morg111
Both of you missed the point,

My issue isn't with those that will pay. All of us love this stuff to the point of paying more. Paying more, idiots or not is up to the individual, his/her income, and level of desire . My point is: those who would use this forum and its members to help themselves should consider what they are doing to the very people who time and again help them. Perhaps I should have added that along with my hope that its non-members selling, I hope its non-members purchasing as well.

M.

One of the eBay units was being sold buy someone that couldn't get the Cubs games OTA with it. I remember reading a post here somewhere about someone who lives in Chicago and complaining about not being able to get the Cubs and was talking about selling it on eBay, so I guess that answers your question.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Frank_M is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Frank_M Find more posts by Frank_M Add Frank_M to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frank_M

I get the sense that he is hoping that should someone here get more than one, they would then sell it to another forum member at cost.

And while that sounds all well and good... I personally did not jump on the VE bandwagon until it was too late to do so. I was lucky (I hope) to get in at Best Buy. But I don't begrudge someone here the ability to make some $$ because they were more dilligent than I was and played the game better.

People are great about sharing info, but then it's up to us to act on it. That's my $0.02.

Oh, and I plan on selling my E86 and DSR6000 on e-bay when I get my HD Tivo, and I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Morg111 is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:31 AM
Morg111

quote:
Oh, and I plan on selling my E86 and DSR6000 on e-bay when I get my HD Tivo, and I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

I doubt you will be making a 60% profit on those.

quote:
so I guess that answers your question.

I didn't have a question. But that is a good case scenario.

quote:
I am not a seller, but say I was. If I didn't step over anybody's mother to get a box (I waited in a merchant's pre-order line), what would be so ethically suspect about auctioning that box?

Doubt you would have heard about the pre-orders without this forum.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drober30 is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drober30 Find more posts by drober30 Add drober30 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drober30

Are there rules regarding selling stuff here to other forum members?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Morg111 is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:39 AM
Morg111

quote:
Are there rules regarding selling stuff here to other forum members?

I guess not. With my morals I'd feel bad about ripping off forum member, "****" as much as he has helped me in the past.

M.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Beantownbeanie is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Beantownbeanie Find more posts by Beantownbeanie Add Beantownbeanie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beantownbeanie
Gotta love that TIVO

Well if I wind up with the one from RS I may just sell it. I found RS all by myself on Thursday of last week.
It burns me that others ordered after me and have theirs in hand today.
I am on BB's list so if that one comes in that is the one I will probably keep i guess.
Aren't you all worried they won't activate it though??? What are the rules about activation???

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebonovic is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 12:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by joegarrett
One of the eBay units was being sold buy someone that couldn't get the Cubs games OTA with it. I remember reading a post here somewhere about someone who lives in Chicago and complaining about not being able to get the Cubs and was talking about selling it on eBay, so I guess that answers your question.

On a side note, can you locate that thread?
You sure can get the Cubs and Sox via OTA in Chicago, when they are on WGN.

There are a few people that have posted that are not in Chicago, whom thought the WGN feed would provide the HD to the superstation that is broadcasted on DTV.

Earl

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lark is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lark Find more posts by lark Add lark to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lark

I like the original poster's point, and I don't really think it's just a "willing buyer/willing seller" issue.

I think the point is that if the lines are artificially long due to people on this forum buying them to sell them, and keeping others on the forum from getting them more quickly (or maybe even paying a markup to another member), that's kind of stinky and a little inconsistent with the notion of community.

Reasonable people can differ on the point, I think, but it's not a bad point.

Just as a way of comparison, there are similar forums to this one for music bands and stuff, and because of tips I have gotten on those boards, I have been able to get excellent concert tickets for certain bands that I really like. If I get them and end up with extras, I never ever sell them for a profit. I simply refuse to be a ticket scalper, just as I probably would refuse to be a tivo scalper. But the point is that you see the exact same debate on those message boards, with both sides being fairly judgmental of the other. I've always thought people on both sides of the debate have strong and reasonable arguments, it's really just a matter of personal choice.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

I'll freely admit that I considered selling mine on eBay. However, a few hundred bucks just isn't worth it to me. Now if I could get $2000-$5000, then it'd be a no-brainer and I have no issues with people obtaining a limited number of units for resale, it's a free country. Now if somebody pre-ordered a huge block from one dealer then I'd begin to have an issue.

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegarrett is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 01:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegarrett Find more posts by joegarrett Add joegarrett to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegarrett
DTiVo Junkie

quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
On a side note, can you locate that thread?
You sure can get the Cubs and Sox via OTA in Chicago, when they are on WGN.

There are a few people that have posted that are not in Chicago, whom thought the WGN feed would provide the HD to the superstation that is broadcasted on DTV.

I think this is it........

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ota#post1923907

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smith13 is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smith13 Find more posts by smith13 Add smith13 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smith13

I believe that it is called supply and demand.There have only been a few people on ebay who had an asking price above the 999.00 retail price.And if somebody puts one on ebay starting at 999.00 then it just comes down to who is willing to pay more to get to the front of the line.There is nothing wrong with that and even the people who ask for 1500.00 and more,I don't think anybody is putting a gun to anybody's head to make them buy a unit.Maybe you should call dtv and yell at them for selling the boxes at a grand each,especially since it probably only cost them 100.00 to make a unit.

I am going to assume that you do not have a hd tivo yet morg111 and you are venting because you do not want to pay 1500.00 to have your hd tivo now.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smith13 is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 01:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smith13 Find more posts by smith13 Add smith13 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smith13

??

Last edited by smith13 on 05-05-2004 at 02:43 AM

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

herdfan is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for herdfan Find more posts by herdfan Add herdfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
herdfan
Advanced Member

While I think ebaying an extra receiver is fine, I would agree that one should not advertise that you are selling one on ebay within this forum. If someone is actively looking for one of these on ebay and is willing to pay the going rate, then more power to them.

But posting a link in this forum to the auction would be in poor taste.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Ebay Tivo's.....make me sick to my stomach.

quote:
Originally posted by Morg111
I sure hope that no member of this forum had bought the Tivo and is now selling the unit on Ebay for the insulting prices listed there. I add my 2 cents on this because members of this forum should be electronics fanatics not two-bit sleazy middle men. We share information on this forum to help one another, not to take advantage and later use our interests to try and rip us off.

Just my opinion...

M.

Yet another example demonstrating that Americans by and large don't know squat about economics.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged