Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles
I sold one of my two units on ebay. I did a paid in full preorder back in February with GG. I didn't learn about preordering on this forum. I had no intention of selling either of them, but when I got my two and saw the demand and what those with cash and impatience were willing to pay, I almost felt like I would be throwing away good money not to sell the damn thing. I was very clear in my ad about what I was doing, here is a cut and paste from my description:
>>Secondary Subject line : Can't wait? Got the cash? I'll gouge you!
Item Description: Up for bid is the long awaited brand new Hughes DirectTV HR10-250 High Definition Satellite and Over the Air Receiver/Digital Video Recorder. This box is nearly impossible to get your hands on right now. There are long waiting lists to purchase this box at this time. I preordered and prepaid for 2 of these units back in mid-February, and now I am willing to sell one of them to you at a price far greater than what I paid for it. You will probably be able to get one of these at the regular price ($999.00) in about a month or two, might take longer. But if you "gotta have it now," and have money to burn, and are okay with the fact that I am opportunistically gouging the sh*t out of you, than I am your man.
This is not a phony auction. It's the real deal. I am just trying to make some quick cash on a high-demand item while I can, and I want to be straight up about that. Actually, my Buy it Now price is less than what others are selling these units for on Ebay, scary as that sounds. <<
I put it up at flat 1499.00 buy it now only. Sold in twenty minutes. Although I had no designs on selling it to a member of this forum, it so happened that it was purchased by one. The buyer thanked me for listing at a "reasonable" buy it now price. He was a pleasure to deal with. He got his HD Tivo on Monday. Buyer happy, seller happy. What's the problem with that?
Also, remember. I paid for these things in full 2.5 months ago. I played the waiting game. I made all the phone calls to GG to make sure I got em the second they came in. I also could have two Tivo's crankin in my house right now, instead I decided it was wiser financially to just have one until they become widely available and at cheaper price. And I know I could have sold it for more, someone had just paid 2K for one when I listed mine. So if anything, my action may be helping drive the ebay price down - 1500 seems to be about the going rate right now.
I think a poll may be in order!
POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator
| IP: Logged