TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> My 1st generation Sony HD 100 has better PQ than my new HD Tivo. <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hutchinson is offline Old Post 05-09-2004 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hutchinson Find more posts by Larry Hutchinson Add Larry Hutchinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hutchinson

I notice no obvious differences between my HD TiVo and my other receivers (DTC100 and HiPix) but I haven't A-B'ed them.

With the possible exception of the definition of black level in IRE units, there really should be no difference at all between different receivers. The conversion of MPEG data to picture data is mathematicaly fixed and unless the design engineers screwed up, they should all be the same.

Note that this does not include issues of format conversion -- just 1080i -> 1080i and the like.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

david(dallas) is offline Old Post 05-09-2004 09:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for david(dallas) Find more posts by david(dallas) Add david(dallas) to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david(dallas)

I just put my unit in last night, so I have watched on good OTA HD yet to see any difference. BUT I think there is a noticeable difference when watching HDNET or DISCOVERY-0H, which had the best DH pictures in my opinion.
My previous HD200 provided a better HD picture than the new TIVO-HD.
But as stated by others, I living having a TIVO unit as my main unit again.
I now have 2 tivos (SD and HD) and no HD receiver. I might go back and change out my SD TIVO back to a HD receiver.
I personally would like to take advance of what all of this high priced tech is suppose to provide, the BEST HD picture available.
Coount me as someone that IS disappointed that the HD-TIVO HD picture as worst than my 1 year old HD 20 unit PLUS IT DOESN'T HANDLE CABLE AND AUTO DVI OUTPUT AND SIGNAL METER.

Is Directv going to allow Sony OR LG to build a HD-TIVO or are they going to corner the market?

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkdtv is offline Old Post 05-09-2004 10:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkdtv Find more posts by bkdtv Add bkdtv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkdtv
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Is Directv going to allow Sony OR LG to build a HD-TIVO or are they going to corner the market?
It wouldn't much matter. The latest DirecTV HD receivers from Sony (HD300) and LG (3200A) have comparable quality to the HD Tivo. Both use variations of the same Broadcom MPEG-2 decoder, and DVI/HDMI transmitters from Silicon Image.

Certainly you all have noticed the fall in price of HDTV STBs in the past three years? Part of it has to do with volume, but it also has to do with increased integration and lower component costs. Cutting corners is one way to achieve lower costs at the silicon level. A HDTV Tivo at $999 would not have been possible using the techology in those older boxes. For the HD Tivo, DirecTV used the latest technology for PVR available to them at the time.

As others have noted, the picture settings on your display may need to be tweaked; optimal settings for a prior HDTV receiver may not be optimal for the DirecTivo HD.

Last edited by bkdtv on 05-09-2004 at 10:37 PM

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

txfeinbergs is offline Old Post 05-09-2004 10:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for txfeinbergs Find more posts by txfeinbergs Add txfeinbergs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
txfeinbergs

Guys, I am pretty sure there is a slight degradation of picture quality with the High Def Tivo because it has to compress the digital using an MPEG format, and then uncompress it when displaying it back to TV. MPEG compression is not perfect and will cause a minor loss of quality and the tradeoff of having a much smaller file size. You would probably notice this more on OTA High Def recordings then you would on DirecTV feeds since I think that feed is already compressed (no idea what the HD TIVO does with it though).

I know that the picture was a little softer on my 1st generation TIVO when compared with the output directly out of my MItsubishi High Def receiver because of this. I don't have the high def TIVO yet, but will be getting it on Tuesday.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 05-09-2004 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by txfeinbergs
Guys, I am pretty sure there is a slight degradation of picture quality with the High Def Tivo because it has to compress the digital using an MPEG format, and then uncompress it when displaying it back to TV. MPEG compression is not perfect and will cause a minor loss of quality and the tradeoff of having a much smaller file size. You would probably notice this more on OTA High Def recordings then you would on DirecTV feeds since I think that feed is already compressed (no idea what the HD TIVO does with it though).

I know that the picture was a little softer on my 1st generation TIVO when compared with the output directly out of my MItsubishi High Def receiver because of this. I don't have the high def TIVO yet, but will be getting it on Tuesday.

The HDTiVo takes the digital ATSC and DTV signal off the air/sat and records it directly to the hard drive. There is no compression being done on the box at all.

All things being equal on the analog side, an HDTiVos PQ should be identical to that of a non-TiVo HD receiver.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkdtv is offline Old Post 05-09-2004 10:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkdtv Find more posts by bkdtv Add bkdtv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkdtv

quote:
Guys, I am pretty sure there is a slight degradation of picture quality with the High Def Tivo because it has to compress the digital using an MPEG format, and then uncompress it when displaying it back to TV.
As zak notes above, the HD DirecTivo has no means to compress HD. There is no MP@HL encoding hardware in the box. If there was, it would be closer to $3000 instead of $1000.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

david(dallas) is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for david(dallas) Find more posts by david(dallas) Add david(dallas) to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david(dallas)

quote:
Originally posted by bkdtv
It wouldn't much matter. The latest DirecTV HD receivers from Sony (HD300) and LG (3200A) have comparable quality to the HD Tivo. Both use variations of the same Broadcom MPEG-2 decoder, and DVI/HDMI transmitters from Silicon Image.

"comparable quality"? I guess everything is compariable quality. I don't know the hardware side of the units, but from what my eye's show me going from the HD200 to the TIVO-HD is a noticeable difference. Now is the HD300 made of lower quality HW than the HD200? I assume they were the same, but with a few more features. But I could be assuming wrong.

Also I did compare the golf coverage between OTA and Directv CBS East and they looked exactly the same to me. But unfortunately still below what I remember seeing on the HD200. Even worst, I compared the OTA to SD and I didn't see a great difference as I had seen on the HD200.
I'm not trying to DOG the HD-TIVO, again I think it's great to have finally, but if getting the BEST HD PQ is also having any older unit like the HD200, then I might be one that will have both.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paperboy2003 is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paperboy2003 Find more posts by Paperboy2003 Add Paperboy2003 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

As a comparison, I went from a Sony HD100 to a HD200 as soon as the HD200 came out. I saw a difference when I made that switch. I thought the PQ on the 100 vs the 200 was different with the 100 being better. I think that what someone else mentioned was probably true; when the 100 came out it was for videophiles and they didn't skimp. As newer models came out (200 and 300) they probably took some shortcuts to maximize profit margins.

I now expect my HD Tivo to resemble my HD200 when it arrives tomorrow. I'm now used to it, and I'll also be getting calibrated later this month so that should help all images improve.

Doug

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crash_Corrigan is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crash_Corrigan Find more posts by Crash_Corrigan Add Crash_Corrigan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crash_Corrigan

Just thinking out loud (or on the keyboard at least)...if the source changes (HD 100 replaced by HD Tivo), would the display need to be recalibrated to fine tune the PQ fo the new box? Maybe an ISF calibrator can give his/her option?

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HD Boyg is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 02:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HD Boyg Find more posts by HD Boyg Add HD Boyg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HD Boyg

I noticed immediately that the picture quality on the HD Tivo was worse than my Zenith SAT520. I've had the HD Tivo since last wednesday, and I swear the gap is closing. The HD Tivo is looking better and better. I couldn't imagine the Mpeg decoder needs a break in period.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 03:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by Paperboy2003

I now expect my HD Tivo to resemble my HD200 when it arrives tomorrow. I'm now used to it, and I'll also be getting calibrated later this month so that should help all images improve.

Doug

That is the switch I made, and I think it is comperable quality.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RNZ is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 03:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RNZ Find more posts by RNZ Add RNZ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RNZ

I had my new Panny phd6uy ISF calibrated with my Sony HD 100--spectacular. Then I just got the HD Tivo-disappointed in PQ. I called my ISF calibrator and want him to re-calibrate using the new HD Tivo. I'll report back.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkdtv is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 03:42 AM
bkdtv

quote:
Now is the HD300 made of lower quality HW than the HD200? I assume they were the same, but with a few more features. But I could be assuming wrong.
You are assuming wrong. Btw, Sony hasn't produced a DirecTV HD receiver of its own since the HD100. The HD200 was a relabeled version of the Zenith SAT520. The HD300 is a relabeled version of the LG 3200A.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Rubin is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 03:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Rubin Find more posts by Mark Rubin Add Mark Rubin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Rubin

I see it a little differently:

I have four HD100's: two have gone bad and two are still going strong (although they continue to reboot often)

The HD200's, to me, have the best PQ: so here is how I would rate them:

First place PQ: HD200/HD520
Second: HD300 (red push issues)
Third: HD Tivo
Forth: HD100

Based on component video output 1080i

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jehremy is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 04:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jehremy Find more posts by jehremy Add jehremy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jehremy

I think the problem with these comparisons is you are critically judging the PQ of the new unit while you were just watching your old unit. Put your old unit back in and I think you will probably see that you can find flaws in the picture that you were just overlooking because you don't look critically while you just watch a show. That could explain why each generation of HD STB seems to degrade in quality.

I don't have the HD Tivo yet so I reserve the right to change my mind when I do.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jfischer is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 04:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jfischer Find more posts by jfischer Add jfischer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfischer

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hutchinson
The conversion of MPEG data to picture data is mathematicaly fixed and unless the design engineers screwed up, they should all be the same.

Tell that to the people who buy $2,500 DVD players! Just like audio CD players aren't all the same in their analog outputs, neither are DVD players alike in their MPEG decoding and conversion. The same probably holds true for satellite receivers as well.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jfischer is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 04:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jfischer Find more posts by jfischer Add jfischer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jfischer

quote:
Originally posted by txfeinbergs
Guys, I am pretty sure there is a slight degradation of picture quality with the High Def Tivo because it has to compress the digital using an MPEG format

HDTV is already broadcast in MPEG format. The HD Tivo records the signal unmolested...

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chickenscratch is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 05:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chickenscratch Find more posts by chickenscratch Add chickenscratch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chickenscratch

re: analog output

Well, if you draw a parallel with the audio guys, let me say this. Use the HDMI output and there is no analog component. Has anyone tried that?

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DoritoOfDeath is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 06:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DoritoOfDeath Find more posts by DoritoOfDeath Add DoritoOfDeath to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DoritoOfDeath

All I know is I love the PQ with my new HDTivo. ESPNHD tonight for the hockey game was amazing.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chuegen is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 06:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chuegen Find more posts by chuegen Add chuegen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuegen

For what it's worth, I've replaced my Sony SAT-HD100 with my HD TiVo and I see no difference side-by-side on HD picture quality. I've noted that the SD->1080i upconversion is not all that great when compared to the Sony's upconversion or the Mitsubishi WS-73909 displaying the 480i image, but that I can work around with the correct output format.

So, given that the picture isn't an issue for me, let's talk about the Sony SAT-HD100 for a moment. It's a *&*@#ing piece of (*@#&$. My SAT-HD100 rebooted no less than 4 times a week after hitting the guide button, due to memory leaks in the software. Sony had its hands on the thing 3 times and could not fix it. The picture-in-guide was slow and annoying. It didn't support OTA guide information. You couldn't preview HD while in the guide.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the TiVo and it was well worth the money. Major drawback: like other TiVos, the guide is very slow. When compared with my SA series 2, I really dream of having folders. But the capability to record HD programs is something I've wanted for a long, long time -- I've been tired of watching all my favorite programs in SD just because I couldn't see them live in HD. What an enabler!

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged