TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> My 1st generation Sony HD 100 has better PQ than my new HD Tivo. <<<

Pages (5): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ken7 is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ken7 Find more posts by Ken7 Add Ken7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ken7

quote:
Originally posted by zaknafein
Have you ever calibrated your monitor with Digital Video Essentials or Avia?

Yes I have, but I've found in "real life" that these settings do not always apply. Ultimately one still must use your own eyes as the final determining factor for 'settings'. I've found that too often some people become slaves to their VE settings and are afraid to change them even if they feel they've got a better picture by deviating from what the VE settings indicated.

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ken7 is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ken7 Find more posts by Ken7 Add Ken7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ken7

quote:
Originally posted by Chaz3
Starrbuck,

Quote "If you're not imagining it, it's likely that your set is not properly calibrated or you are just looking for something to complain about."

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not just looking for something to complain about and I am not imagining it. No amount of calibration is going to fix the problem I am seeing. My HD Tivo is soft, period. I was an early convert to hdtv so I am not new to this.
I went from "WOW" HD picture quality with the old Toshiba STB to "what the heck happened" with the HD Tivo. I thought better resolution of detail was the main point of HDTV.

Don't be concerned, you're not imagining it, too many other people are seeing precisely the same thing. However I still contend the difference is not night and day, but is significant and something that shouldn't be there nonetheless.

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Starrbuck is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 01:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Starrbuck Find more posts by Starrbuck Add Starrbuck to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Starrbuck

quote:
Originally posted by Chaz3
I don't know about anyone else, but I am not just looking for something to complain about and I am not imagining it. No amount of calibration is going to fix the problem I am seeing.

Yeah, you seem to have an open mind and a really positive attitude.

I wish you the best of luck finding a fix for your issue.

I adopted HR10-250 #21 from VE, received at 9:45am CDT on April 22, 2004

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkdtv is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkdtv Find more posts by bkdtv Add bkdtv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkdtv
TiVo Forum Special Member

Repost...

I'm starting to wonder whether this "softness" might be caused by a certain line of Broadcom chips or their implementation, when used for HD PVR.

The Dish Network 921 HD DVR does not have this softness, and uses an older Broadcom chip (BCM7021). The Scientific Atlanta 8000HD (BCM703x) HD DVR does have the same softness with HD over component (its DVI doesn't work yet) that members have reported for the HD DirecTivo. The Broadcom MPEG-2 decoder or its implementation could conceivably be the source of its picture issues as well.

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leedees is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leedees Find more posts by leedees Add leedees to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leedees

My 1st generation Sony HD100 has better PQ than my new HD Tivo as well.

Soft, dull colors, lifeless image on the HD Tivo.

While I have little comprehension of what he's talking about, bkdtv may be on the right track in identifying the problem.

At $1000 a pop, I am going to be thinking about that 30 day return policy at Circuit City and wait for the next model.

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kkluba is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kkluba Visit kkluba's homepage! Find more posts by kkluba Add kkluba to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kkluba

I just read through this thread and have a few comments:

My SAT-HD100 is loud and was unreliable until Sony fixed it. I would not buy it again and I think the picture is "pushed".

My SAT-HD200 is better than the HD100 for features and picture quality is comparable.

ISF is very worth the money. I have Dwin projector and 100" screen and ISF calibration made a big improvement. The results are more dramatic for RPTV's as convergance is not an issue with front projection.

Depending on your projector or RPTV features the ISF calibrator should start with convergance adjustments which is a global setting and then go on to grayscale, color, contrast, sharpness adjustments on a per source basis. The color settings for a vcr and a dvi-dvd player are quite different. Likewise there are differences between 1080i and 720p from the same source. Any decent ISF tech will account for these.

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chaz3 is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chaz3 Find more posts by Chaz3 Add Chaz3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chaz3

Ken7,
You are correct it is not a night and day difference. Sorry if I implied that it was, its just that I want to keep this unit and the quality issue makes it a difficult choice.

Starrbuck,
Well I admit to being a perfectionist, trying to keep an open mind and hoping for a fix. I have a Sony HS20 that I will be hooking up to Hd Tivo soon via HDMI, maybe that will be better.

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShiningBengal is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 07:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBengal Find more posts by ShiningBengal Add ShiningBengal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by Paperboy2003
As a comparison, I went from a Sony HD100 to a HD200 as soon as the HD200 came out. I saw a difference when I made that switch. I thought the PQ on the 100 vs the 200 was different with the 100 being better. I think that what someone else mentioned was probably true; when the 100 came out it was for videophiles and they didn't skimp. As newer models came out (200 and 300) they probably took some shortcuts to maximize profit margins.

I now expect my HD Tivo to resemble my HD200 when it arrives tomorrow. I'm now used to it, and I'll also be getting calibrated later this month so that should help all images improve.

Doug

The Sony HD200 was made by LG, just as the HD300 is. There is very little cosmetic difference between these two Sonys as you may have noticed.

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tbirdman is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tbirdman Find more posts by tbirdman Add tbirdman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tbirdman

Just received my unit and was worried with talk about PQ and stretch modes. Replaced a HD200. No issue with PQ. At first glance I think the SD may be better. Also I was worried about the zoom/stretch mode. IMHO it implemented as well as it was on the HD200. lso the guide speed is fine. I give it three thumbs up.

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bloozeman is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bloozeman Find more posts by bloozeman Add bloozeman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bloozeman

quote:
Originally posted by bkdtv
Calibration only sets that color temperature for the particular input and scan frequency. It also doesn't account for variances in STB or DVD hardware; your TV may be 6500k with one DVD player or STB, but 6000k with another.

It is now fairly common practice for ISF technicians to connect a signal generator to your HDTV receiver (much like you would connect an OTA antenna), and then use test patterns over 8-VSB to attain the optimal calibration using your particular HDTV receiver at whatever output format you use (be it 720p or 1080i).

As always, some ISF technicians are better than others, both in terms of skill and the equipment they have available.

Okay that makes a bit more sense, i.e., using a signal generator through the receiver to possibly "tune-up" an input specifically for that source. On my Pioneer Elite the calibration holds across all inputs for of a particular type and scan frequency. Thus, when my calibrator does his magic on component 1 @ 480p, 720, and 1080i the same settings hold for component input 2, etc. I'm HD STB deficient at this point because I was waiting for a standalone HD PVR (eyed the Zenith model they released last year and the next generation LG release but of course have been waiting for the HD Tivo OTA standalone since I'm a DishNetwork subscriber). I guess at some point when I finally settle on a HD STB or HD STB/PVR I'll have Dave (the calibrator) swing by and tune the Elite up for it the next time he's in the area (he's from Iowa and I'm in AZ ;-)).

-Ray

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markf is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 01:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markf Find more posts by markf Add markf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markf

quote:
My 1st generation Sony HD100 has better PQ than my new HD Tivo as well.

Soft, dull colors, lifeless image on the HD Tivo.

While I have little comprehension of what he's talking about, bkdtv may be on the right track in identifying the problem.

At $1000 a pop, I am going to be thinking about that 30 day return policy at Circuit City and wait for the next model.

I received my HR10-250 last night (replaced a Sony HD300) and I have the same problem. Unfortunately, unless I can find something wrong with how I have it set-up, I think mine is going back to Circuit City also. Really depressing considering how much I was looking forward to being able to record in HD.

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kyungkim is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kyungkim Find more posts by kyungkim Add kyungkim to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyungkim

The little time i had to spend with it last night, the pq looks ok to me.

My set is a sony gw3 fed via component. will try dvi/hdmi tonight.
My comparison stb is a hughes e86 ~generic dst3000 and a sammie ts160.
I only had the e86 connected briefly at the same time to compare pq on hdnet, and the little i watched was pretty much a draw between them.

One thing i did notice is that pq got much better when i went from 720p- 1080i on the tivo.
Those with the fuji 50 plasmas, i know those panels are native 768p, so have all of you tried it with 1080i? could it be just the 720p that sucks from the tivo?

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MajikMarker is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MajikMarker Find more posts by MajikMarker Add MajikMarker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MajikMarker

I also replaced a Sony HD100 with the HR10-250. I did not have the ability to do a side by side comparison so my opinion is subjective. My "sense" is that the PQ on the HD100 was ever so slightly better for HD content. For me, the difference is so subtle that it is in no way a deal breaker for me. I agree with most that feel the SD content appears better with the HR10-250.

For what its worth, after learning about the video calibration DVDs out there (never heard of them before coming to this forum...Thanks guys!) I purchased the Avia program and it made a tremendous difference to my PQ, particularly with SD channels. I use to notice "rings" where subtle shading would occur (sorry, haven't picked up all the tech jargon yet!) and after using Avia, they are gone and the picture is much, much better.

Just my 2 cents as a fellow Sony HD 100 user....

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hd10250 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hd10250 Find more posts by hd10250 Add hd10250 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hd10250

quote:
Originally posted by tbirdman
Just received my unit and was worried with talk about PQ and stretch modes. Replaced a HD200. No issue with PQ. At first glance I think the SD may be better.

I also replaced a HD200 with the HR10-250. HD PQ seems equivalent on both receivers with the HR10-250 having better SD PQ. For reference, I have a DLP display using HDMI-DVI and DVI cable respectively.

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged