TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Value Electronics refund <<<
What is the status of your VE refund?
This poll is closed.
I have requested a refund and received a refund ($$, not store credit) 22 15.38%
I have requested a refund, but have not received it yet 66 46.15%
I have not requested a refund yet, but plan to shortly 40 27.97%
I cancelled my VE order for the HR10-250, but used the store credit on something else 15 10.49%
Total: 143 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GreyGhost00 is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GreyGhost00 Find more posts by GreyGhost00 Add GreyGhost00 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreyGhost00

Value Electronics refund

Just a thread to inquire whether people have requested their refund from Value Electronics, and whether they have received a refund yet.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 02:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

I requested my refund a week ago and has yet to be processed. I have two e-mails from Robert stating two different procedures for refunds.

The first e-mail only asks that I fax a copy of my receipt which was done immediately after that. a second e-mail which I received over the weekend asks for a serial number as well which he has also received..

I understand that he does not want to give back the money and would rather I used the deposit at his store. I can not blame him one bit for that.
However, his policy was clear and he did have use of money for sometime so hopefully I it will get handled quickly before the CC has to get more involved then they already are.

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tarmack is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 02:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tarmack Find more posts by tarmack Add tarmack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tarmack

Re: Value Electronics refund

quote:
Originally posted by GreyGhost00
Just a thread to inquire whether people have requested their refund from Value Electronics, and whether they have received a refund yet.

According to the poll results...to this point....nobody that has requested a full refund has yet rec'd it.

We know that THIS item IS in "stock".....doesn't require shipping.....no need for tracking numbers.....and I only want one.

Tarmack

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

turls is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 02:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for turls Find more posts by turls Add turls to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turls
Advanced Member

[edit]Robert is working with me now, until I experience the situation myself, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on refunds[/edit]

I'll probably considering writing a letter explaining the situation to my CC before 60 days is up, I've had to do that before on pre-order stuff. Its better than trying to file the first indication of a claim after 60 days.

I know the actual rule is after you receive your statement the 60 days starts, but that seems riskier.

Last edited by turls on 05-12-2004 at 12:08 AM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 05:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

I suggest you contact the CC company right away and make them aware of what is going on. Some CC companies will make an entry on your account that will allow you to go past the 60 day limit. It will also make them aware of the situation if a problem does come up.

I personally had intentions of purchasing other items from VE but the attidute which was displayed to me once I informed them I was canceling disturbed me.

Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GreyGhost00 is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 06:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GreyGhost00 Find more posts by GreyGhost00 Add GreyGhost00 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreyGhost00

If indeed no one to this point has actually gotten a refund, then there's something seriously wrong, or underhanded going on here. I would really like to give VE the benefit of the doubt on this and I think most people are being patient, but there's no valid reason that refunds can't be processed in a timely fashion. There are some less-than-legitmate reasons that this might be the case, but again I'd like to give VE some more time before drawing this conclusion. This was VE's policy and at this point they are giving the appearance that they're not willing to follow through. Again, there's no reason that refunds shouldn't be handled in a timely fashion. I have the feeling if this drags on any longer that things will begin to get ugly.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 06:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

This has the appearance of a "bait and wait" where the company is waiting as long as they possibly can, hoping they get stock and can offer you a unit before processing the refund. Many companies do this when they know they are right on the edge of receiving more stock. My impression is that VE has more integrity than to do this, so maybe there is another reason?

Mike

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bc1969 is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bc1969 Find more posts by bc1969 Add bc1969 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bc1969

I personally had intentions of purchasing other items from VE but the attitude which was displayed to me once I informed them I was canceling disturbed me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My experience was similar. In fact it was almost hostile. I asked simple questions like what information do you need to prove I have purchased the unit from another retailer and when can I expect to have the refund applied back to my CC.

The response was "I don't know". I replied "I'm sorry you do not know?" Very angrily the person on the other end tells me " I don't deal with that stuff!" This went back and forth and I finally asked "may I speak with some who does?" With great hesitation the person put Wendy on the phone who was very nice and cooperative. She told me that I should see the refund back on my card within two days.

From other posts about VE I would think this is an isolated incident but it without a doubt soured my impression.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tarmack is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 07:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tarmack Find more posts by tarmack Add tarmack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tarmack

<<<I personally had intentions of purchasing other items from VE but the attidute which was displayed to me once I informed them I was canceling disturbed me.>>

My personal feeling is that V.E. was hoping greatly for most of the people to order something else instead of asking for the credit card refund.

It looks like there are at least 40 to 50 of us....that equates to 4 to 5 thousand dollars of cash going back out of the till.....a till that has been able to hold that money for almost 5 months. It would have been much nicer for V.E. to just send some "hardware stock", off of the shelf that probably had been sitting there just as long.

I am up to 5 requests at this time....and I actually have rec'd 2 replies that the credit card posting WAS going to take place IMMEDIATELY. However, that has not been done and my card web site is about as fast as a White Castle going through a goose.

Tarmack

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dagap is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 07:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dagap Find more posts by dagap Add dagap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dagap

If it's been more than a few days since you've requested the refund, then you should wait no longer. Go ahead and call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

They'll temporarily remove the charge while they query the mechant. Then the removal will become permanent once the merchant admits that you have not received the ordered merchandise.

I can think of no good reason to wait.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tarmack is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 07:08 PM
tarmack

Just checked the poll results, after posting my last message and I NOW see that at least ONE guy has gotten the credit.

So perhaps the logjam is broken and the rest of the postings will come soon.

Tarmack

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 07:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

I just checked a few statements from my MBNA credit card where I've had occasion to return things and compared it to my Quicken records where I make entries as I do such things and find about 3 to 4 business days between when I was in the store returning something and have a dated receipt showing that, and when the credit actually posted to my account. The same merchants generally show the charge posted to the account 1 to 2 days after the transaction date. Specifically these were credits from Home Depot and Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I haven't spoken to Robert yet to find out what is happening, but did just want to mention that the banks seem also to like delaying credits an extra day or two. I see some of you mention asking for the credit a week ago, so I know this wouldn't necessarily mean anything in those circumstances.

At the risk of being called a VE fanboy yet again, please remember a merchant gets charged a chargeback fee, typically $15-$25 just by a chargeback being issued, even if it can be supported by the merchant, so there really is no reason why VE would try to delay issuing you a credit; if you get pissed off enough, you can cost them even more money than just the refund. And at least with the merchant account I have, I don't get charged additional fees when issuing a credit to someone I had previously charged, however I am unable to issue a credit at all beyond a certain period of time (it's an online account from web transactions, not a storefront account).

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aspons is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 08:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aspons Find more posts by aspons Add aspons to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aspons

Former lurker/new member here. I pre-ordered with VE (#13117) and received my HR10-250 from Circuit City last Friday. After four emails and two faxes sent to Robert since Friday, all containing the same information, and all responded to with the same sales pitch inviting me to purchase accessories from VE with my $100 credit, I received the following from Robert last evening at 6:45 pm est.

Andy,

I will process your $100.00 refund immediately.

Regards,

Robert Zohn
Tel: 800-789-5050

I just called Discover and learned it may take up to 14 days for a credit to appear. I will check with Discover three times a day and post when I receive the credit.

Andy

Last edited by aspons on 05-12-2004 at 02:43 AM

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kbcrowe is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kbcrowe Find more posts by kbcrowe Add kbcrowe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kbcrowe

aspons,

I'd strongly recommend you follow up with Robert tomorrow and get him to verify that he really did send the credit in. I had a problem with VE last year when I ordered my system and he was sending me a replacement unit. He kept telling me it was shipped and on the way. Even said he had a tracking number (on TWO different occasions, but couldn't give it to me because he wasn't in his office. He managed to do the "Robert Run-Around" for weeks by telling me it was shipped, me waiting for a week for it to arrive and then telling me it was shipped, me waiting...round and round. It was only after I called to file a claim with UPS that he transferred me to Wendy who told me that it had never shipped, because Robert never put it the system.

I could see this happening with these credits too. Wait 14 days, "Oh you didn't fax us this, it'll be 14 days from now"...yada yada. I think my problem was that I never complained publicly and tried to handle it via phone calls and PM's and also giving him the benefit of doubt and not pushing for verification. Robert greases the squeaky wheel, this topic is a good way to squeak.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 08:29 PM
Fluffybear

My wife already took it to Discover. After getting the run around from VE and the hostile attidute I experienced, she decided enough was enough.

What would it have hurt to sent it a short note to those of us who faxed the information confirming receipt of our information and state our refund would be proceesed within so many days. Even if he would said 2 weeks in order to process it, I would have at least known they had my information and things were in the works.

As I said, I would have purchased something else from them but the gentleman who I spoke with last week turned me off with dealing with them again..

Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
At the risk of being called a VE fanboy yet again, please remember a merchant gets charged a chargeback fee, typically $15-$25 just by a chargeback being issued, even if it can be supported by the merchant, so there really is no reason why VE would try to delay issuing you a credit; if you get pissed off enough, you can cost them even more money than just the refund. And at least with the merchant account I have, I don't get charged additional fees when issuing a credit to someone I had previously charged, however I am unable to issue a credit at all beyond a certain period of time (it's an online account from web transactions, not a storefront account).

My merchant account is as described above too, but I don't think you get the CC processing fee back when you do a refund. The merchant is still responsible for the 1.5% to 2% fee for the original purchase and I don't think that is reversed when you do a credit/refund so I believe VE will still be out the Visa/MC/Amex fee ($15.00 to $20.00 per unit if we're talking about the full sale price, but in most cases I think we're talking about $1.50 to $2.00 on the $100 deposit).

Mike

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GreyGhost00 is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 08:38 PM
GreyGhost00

quote:
Originally posted by aspons
Former lurker/new member here. I pre-ordered with VE (#13511) and received my HR10-250 from Circuit City last Friday. After four emails and two faxes sent to Robert since Friday, all containing the same information, and all responded to with the same sales pitch inviting me to purchase accessories from VE with my $100 credit, <snip>

My problem is that it shouldn't take four emails and two faxes to even elicit a response. From the poll numbers here, we're not talking about huge numbers (yet). It is not terribly difficult to track refund requests in a central location and then process them accordingly. Surely with the pre-ordering system VE set up, they would have had to have some method planned for processing refunds, but maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
I'm sure some in the VE camp will take offense to this, but this is exactly why larger merchants warrant a higher allocation of units. VE overextended themselves in the preorder and now we're seeing the results.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 08:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by mchaney
My merchant account is as described above too, but I don't think you get the CC processing fee back when you do a refund. The merchant is still responsible for the 1.5% to 2% fee for the original purchase and I don't think that is reversed when you do a credit/refund so I believe VE will still be out the Visa/MC/Amex fee ($15.00 to $20.00 per unit if we're talking about the full sale price).

True, you don't get that back. I think most people are talking about a $100 or less refund though, so the merchant fee involved is probably just $2-$3.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 08:45 PM
Fluffybear

quote:
Originally posted by mchaney
My merchant account is as described above too, but I don't think you get the CC processing fee back when you do a refund. The merchant is still responsible for the 1.5% to 2% fee for the original purchase and I don't think that is reversed when you do a credit/refund so I believe VE will still be out the Visa/MC/Amex fee ($15.00 to $20.00 per unit if we're talking about the full sale price, but in most cases I think we're talking about $1.50 to $2.00 on the $100 deposit).

Mike

I know each time I have had to process a refund that the fee's are deducted as well. If you are doing your processing through someone such as Paypal then no you will be out the fee's.
When it comes to a chargeback, OUCH!! If I was able to show it was a valid transaction or that I processed the credit prior to the chargeback request then I was not assesed a fee. If I was not able to do it then I was charged usually a $15 fee..

Each CC processing firm is different and larger volume customers are treated differently as well..

Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lew is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 09:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lew Find more posts by lew Add lew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lew
Advanced Member

No reason to go through multiple E-mails and faxes. Make a request, wait 24 hours and then put through a dispute with your cc.

There are federal rules regarding how long a vendor can keep an order on back order. I don't think they can go more than 30 days without sending you written notice and a chance to cancel.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged