TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Value Electronics refund <<<
What is the status of your VE refund?
This poll is closed.
I have requested a refund and received a refund ($$, not store credit) 22 15.38%
I have requested a refund, but have not received it yet 66 46.15%
I have not requested a refund yet, but plan to shortly 40 27.97%
I cancelled my VE order for the HR10-250, but used the store credit on something else 15 10.49%
Total: 143 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (7): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SteveWinNJ is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 06:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteveWinNJ Find more posts by SteveWinNJ Add SteveWinNJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteveWinNJ

Post by Dan2000: "For the sake of science I just called up Directv and gave them the serial number off one of my receivers, saying it was displaying a weird message. I was amazed that they pulled it up and handed out my account number and name without even asking who I was. It would not be hard for a scammer to impersonate you and activate extra cards and services on your account. Not saying Value Electronics employees would do that but who knows. Just keep it to yourself and you'll sleep better at night"....

I thought I recognized that smell earlier...yep it's BS.

Anytime you call Directv, the first thing they ask for is your phone number. They wouldn't give you the time of day if you called with your IRD serial number. After they confirm it's your account then they may bring up a specific receiver by the access CARD number.

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Weez is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 06:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Weez Find more posts by Weez Add Weez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Weez

quote:
Originally posted by Geof in CO
Is it true that if you want a store purchase you don't need to show a receipt or S/N?

Yes that is absolutely true.

As far as being antaganistic? maybe i am but we as the customer deserve straight answers. Instead of straight answers I received no answers at all, when it came time for me to cancel my order Robert was very cordial and understanding, asked me how my unit was and if i was enjoying it which i answered. Guess what? that was a week ago. I was asked nothing about my serial number or my receipt. I assumed and still assume it was not required and I have no intention of providing it. So far i have no credit and i have decided after seeing this thread to file a CC dispute just to protect myself. Could i call him and ask him where the credit is? absolutely! Will I? Absolutely NOT, I shouldnt have to.

my .02˘

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan2000 is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 07:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan2000 Find more posts by Dan2000 Add Dan2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan2000

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWinNJ
Post by Dan2000: "For the sake of science I just called up Directv and gave them the serial number off one of my receivers, saying it was displaying a weird message. I was amazed that they pulled it up and handed out my account number and name without even asking who I was. It would not be hard for a scammer to impersonate you and activate extra cards and services on your account. Not saying Value Electronics employees would do that but who knows. Just keep it to yourself and you'll sleep better at night"....

Anytime you call Directv, the first thing they ask for is your phone number. They wouldn't give you the time of day if you called with your IRD serial number. After they confirm it's your account then they may bring up a specific receiver by the access CARD number.

Their lax security was discussed on this very forum and you're calling me a liar. Please use a little tact next time.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...655#post1946655

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tarmack is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 07:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tarmack Find more posts by tarmack Add tarmack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tarmack

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWinNJ

V.E. has our phone numbers too.

The line is listed as Bill to Phone in my original "application" for all of this fun.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 07:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by Dan2000
Their lax security was discussed on this very forum and you're calling me a liar. Please use a little tact next time.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...655#post1946655

That's pointing to a post I made. I don't see any discusson of anyone's lax security in it.

Have you tried calling DirecTV and using someone else's serial number the way you talked about?

When I call DirecTV they know it's me; when I activated my second receiver, I didn't have to identify myself at all because their system uses ANI and my phone number to match up the account.

It's not a stretch to think they had no reason to double-check your identity any other way if you had been calling from a number you've talked to them from before and giving them a serial number they see is on that account. That in itself might've been verification you were you.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GreyGhost00 is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 08:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GreyGhost00 Find more posts by GreyGhost00 Add GreyGhost00 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreyGhost00

Whether or not the S/N story about calling D* is true or not is a moot point. Nobody as of yet has provided a valid reason why Robert needs the S/N to issue our refunds. I think it's a legitimate question.

Beyond that even if the S/N wasn't required, it's still reasonable to expect a timely response to our refund request. Usually part of that response is some sort of acknowledgement that the request has been received.

This wouldn't be an issue at all with a little communication. Same pattern played itself out with the preorder positions.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 08:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DTV TiVo Dealer Visit DTV TiVo Dealer's homepage! Find more posts by DTV TiVo Dealer Add DTV TiVo Dealer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

All refund requests have been processed.

If anyone who requested a refund does not see their refund posted by Thursday, May 13, 2004 contact us so we can verify your credit.

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnF is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 09:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnF Find more posts by JohnF Add JohnF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnF

I'm glad Robert has been heard and will hopefully put this to rest.

What I really don't understand is the motivation of someone who has just started posting here, at least under a new user id, who is not by his own admission a customer of VE, and feels the need to stir things up. What is the motivation and what is there to be gained?

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jlstubbs is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 09:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jlstubbs Find more posts by jlstubbs Add jlstubbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jlstubbs

this may seem silly, but in reality and from past experiences it's not. I try not to do business with anyone who doesn't accept American Express. Any problems I've had with a company that accepts AMEX gets resolved through AMEX once I turn it over to them. If you are an AMEX customer in good standing, anything in the $100 range would get credited immediately to you and then they deal with the company.

Just my 2 cents....

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan2000 is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 09:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan2000 Find more posts by Dan2000 Add Dan2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan2000

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
That's pointing to a post I made. I don't see any discusson of anyone's lax security in it.

Whoops, not sure how that happened, anyway this is the link I meant to paste:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=115725

And you guys are right on the mark about Amex. From a retailer's perspective it's not even worth contesting an Amex chargeback most of the time, because the bank just won't listen.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by jlstubbs
this may seem silly, but in reality and from past experiences it's not. I try not to do business with anyone who doesn't accept American Express. Any problems I've had with a company that accepts AMEX gets resolved through AMEX once I turn it over to them. If you are an AMEX customer in good standing, anything in the $100 range would get credited immediately to you and then they deal with the company.

Just my 2 cents....

It doesn't get "resolved." The merchant simply gets screwed.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jlstubbs is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 10:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jlstubbs Find more posts by jlstubbs Add jlstubbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jlstubbs

quote:

What??? Perhaps that does happen on occasion. You make it seem as if AMEX users are committing fraud when they report a problem with a charge on their account.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan2000 is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 10:23 AM
Dan2000

quote:

You and I have both been on the "receiving end" of chargebacks so I don't understand why you would use the term "screwed" to describe both legitimate merchants like ourselves who are operating honestly, and dishonest/disingenuous merchants like Value Electronics who have alienated their customers through trickery or miscommunication. We are on the same "team" here, you know.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 10:28 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by jlstubbs
What??? Perhaps that does happen on occasion. You make it seem as if AMEX users are committing fraud when they report a problem with a charge on their account.
In my personal merchant-side experience there's a higher percentage of AmEx cardholders than Visa/MasterCard cardholders who do just that. They completely ignore anything they agreed to and solve all their problems via disputing the charge with AmEx.

And when the topic comes up in the Happy Hour here regarding dealing with retailers, you'll regularly see people chiming in saying how they prefer to use AmEx because it's easier to dispute a charge with AmEx. It's simply frustrating from a merchants point of view when that sort of thing happens. And burned often enough, the merchant's going to consider not accepting AmEx by default, or perhaps only accepting it with established customers.

I have no problem paying the slightly higher discount rate and calling it a cost of doing business; but when fraud with AmEx is at a higher rate than fraud with MasterCard/Visa, and that fraud decimates your profits, what else can you do?

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lew is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 05:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lew Find more posts by lew Add lew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lew
Advanced Member

quote:
In my personal merchant-side experience there's a higher percentage of AmEx cardholders than Visa/MasterCard cardholders who do just that. They completely ignore anything they agreed to and solve all their problems via disputing the charge with AmEx.

Treat the customer right and you shouldn't have problems. You can't ask the customer to agree to terms that are illegal or unfair and then complain when they charge back. Robert had no business asking for S/N under his terms or refusing refunds from people who got tired of waiting (FTC regulations).

Prehaps this Robert wasn't aware of the situation BUT the existance of charge backs made his decision easy. The retailer won't benefit by delaying credits.

AMEX backs PL, ticketmaster and similar situations in which the terms are clear. They do give their customer the benefit of the doubt.

Many merchants tell you then don't want to take AMEX because they don't want to pay the higher fees.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edrock200 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 08:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200
TiVo Forum Special Member

I love using my amex but not for dispute reasons, I've never disputed a charge. I use it mainly because it doubles my warranty on anything I buy and I get price protection for 60 days.

However after reading this post I'm surprised that so many places accept amex, not only do they charge higher fees but they don't listen to the merchant on disputes either? Thats gonna come full circle on them sooner or later. A card can have all the benfits in the world but it does you no good if no store accepts it.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

quote:
Originally posted by edrock200
I love using my amex but not for dispute reasons, I've never disputed a charge. I use it mainly because it doubles my warranty on anything I buy and I get price protection for 60 days.

However after reading this post I'm surprised that so many places accept amex, not only do they charge higher fees but they don't listen to the merchant on disputes either? Thats gonna come full circle on them sooner or later. A card can have all the benfits in the world but it does you no good if no store accepts it.

Just about all my MasterCards double (some even triple) the warranty. I carry two that even offer a low price policy...

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tarmack is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tarmack Find more posts by tarmack Add tarmack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tarmack

Does anyone have the refund posted to their account?

I see that 4 people have "voted" as being refunded in the poll....but they never stop by with any words.

Tarmack

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GillBates is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GillBates Find more posts by GillBates Add GillBates to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GillBates

I received my refund on 5/10. You can move my vote to the "received" column. I simply called VE, and then faxed the online receipt of my Circuit City order. It included my address, phone, and shipping info. I also gave them my original VE order number. No problems at all. I will keep Robert on my list of good vendors.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GreyGhost00 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GreyGhost00 Find more posts by GreyGhost00 Add GreyGhost00 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreyGhost00

Still nothing in my online account activity ... which is usually pretty quick.

I'm going to give it until Monday to show up, and then I'm through with playing this game.

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged