TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> *OFFICIAL* PQ Before/After thread <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ebonovic is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic
TiVo Forum Special Member

*OFFICIAL* PQ Before/After thread

Okay, I have seen a few PQ threads regarding going from Standalone to HD-Tivo.

And let's keep this thread specifically to true HD programming.
Not Upconverts, or SD material via the HD-Dtivo. Just HDTV programming (Such as CSI, Sporting Events, ect).
Also, let's keep the compression artifacts out of the discussion, unless you notice a change in the artifact level between your two boxes.

So what I would like to see in this thread is the following:

Display unit -
Standalone Box -
Standalone Connection Type -
HD-DTivo Connection Type -
Rating of PQ change
(Much Better, Little Better, No Change, Slightly Worse, Significantly Worse)

Then a description of how you determined your PQ change, and justifications on your rating above.

Hopefully, if we get enough posts, maybe we can find the trend.

Earl

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebonovic is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 02:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic

DU - Pioneer 503CMX Plasma 50", Aurora 303 Interface Card
SA - Zenith SAT-520
SC - DVI->DVI 15' Cable
HT - HDMI->DVI (Total of 25' Cable)
PQ - No Change

Flopped cables back and forth between both boxes during an episode of CBS's CSI:Miami over the DTV East Coast Feed.

Noticed no change in quality of the picture.
Since then the quality has been excelent, sharp, bright, crisp.

Earl

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

acourvil is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 02:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for acourvil Find more posts by acourvil Add acourvil to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
acourvil

DU - Panasonic PT-52DL10 (DLP RP)
SB - Panasonic TU-HDS20
SC - component
HT - component
PQ - Slightly Worse

Softer picture, maybe worse on color (but I haven't calibrated yet, so I'm not sure ifthat's fair)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 08:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas

Well I'm going to do 2 of them. My original receiver was sold in anticipation of getting the HDTivo. When the delays started to happen I took advantage of the $99 deal.

Display unit - Panasonic 32" 4:3 direct view
Standalone Box - Panasonic TU-HDS20
Standalone Connection Type - Component
HD-DTivo Connection Type - Component
Rating of PQ change - Slightly worse

Display unit -Panasonic 32" 4:3 direct view
Standalone Box - Hughes HTL-HD
Rating of PQ change - No change

Ratings are totally subjective. One area I would say though that the HDTivo is worse than the HTL-HD is in conversion of 720p to 1080i. My set can't handle a 720p feed and the few shows I've seen on ABC just didn't impress me at all.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nuke is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nuke Find more posts by nuke Add nuke to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nuke

Better now.

Display panasonic plasma 50" D6UY.

Old tuner: TU-DST52F panasonic OTA.

The old tuner lost some details in the blacks, kind of too dark, but it was very crisp.

The Tivo by DVI connection seemed soft to my eye at first, but adjusting the levels a little, I'm now a lot happier with the Tivo's performance.

SD from D* is a WHOLE LOT better than the HDVR2.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chaz3 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 06:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chaz3 Find more posts by Chaz3 Add Chaz3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chaz3

DU Mitsubishi 65" RPTV

SB Toshiba DST3000

SC Component

HT Component

PQ Much softer

Switched component cables from DST3000 to HD-Tivo for comparisons. As soon as I got the HD-Tivo working (Pegasus did not have Model number is database), it was obvious by watching familiar programs on HDNET, HDNET Movies, etc. that the picture was soft. Switched back to the DST3000 to make sure I was not imagining what I was seeing. Sharpness was back.No real complaints about color, contrast, etc.
I have tried every adjustment I can think of to help with the softness issue but no luck. Maybe I just have a defective unit.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zaph32 is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 07:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zaph32 Find more posts by Zaph32 Add Zaph32 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zaph32

Display unit - Toshiba 57H81 (16:9)
Standalone Box - DST-3000 (Headed for eBay)
Rating of PQ change - Slightly Worse

But...I am so damn happy to have the thing, I could care less. One thing I noticed is that the colors are markedly different between 480i and 480p/1080i. My set has been ISF calibrated by the great Steve Martin, so that is probably why.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kyungkim is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kyungkim Find more posts by kyungkim Add kyungkim to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyungkim

Disp - Sony GW3 50 in
STB - Hughes e86
Using Component for both
Scan rate 1080i

About the same. Need to some more A/B comparisons.
Movies and fil based sitcoms look about the same. Need to do some more on video based hd on hdnet.. the litlle i watched looked about the same, but the subliminal messaging from here might have lead me to belive it was slightly worse. need to do more checking, but honestly im very happy with this thing.
K

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cutt is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 10:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cutt Find more posts by cutt Add cutt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cutt
lurker

DU - mitsubishi 55" rptv
SB - sony sat-hd300
SC - component
HT - component
PQ - slightly worse

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Axiom is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Axiom Visit Axiom's homepage! Find more posts by Axiom Add Axiom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Axiom

DU - Toshiba 65HDX82
SB - Sony SAT-HD200
SC - DVI
HT - DVI
PQ - Slightly Worse

Not enough to make me complain about it. I swapped the DVI cable during several 1080i broadcasts on HDNET and Discovery HD.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johnspierce is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 10:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnspierce Find more posts by johnspierce Add johnspierce to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnspierce

DU - Hitachi 57F500
SB - Samsung SIR-TS360
SC - DVI
HT - DVI
PQ - No Change

DId some A/B viewing with Samsung/HDTivo and no difference that I could see. Had to adjust the color up a couple of bars with HDTivo but the Samsung colors are a little "hot" and I had to back it off when I initially set it up.

- SD is notably superior to the Samsung.

- SD is as good as my old Hughes SD Directivo on most channels and better on some.

- I don't even notice not having a "native" mode - I leave it in 1080i all the time - I don't like stretch modes; 4:3 should be letterboxed (in my opinion).

- I have received *no* audo dropouts yet; I fully expect HDNet to have some since everybody I know has them on that channel.

- I am using a Winegard SquareShooter antenna - I'm about 5 miles from half the transmitters, about 20 miles to the other half. All my locals come in at 80% or better except ABC which is apparently using cans and string to transmit.

- the discrete codes I have programmed into my Radio Shack 2116 remote for the old SD DirecTivo work perfectly on new HDTIvo; I didn't have to change one thing.

- No more switching inputs for HD/SD -- the wife loves it; her peanut is *fully functional* again. High WAF.

- The program guide is just as fast (or slow as the case may be) as my old SD DirecTivo.

The HD Tivo is *EXACTLY* what I expected in every way - I love it!

John

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DAS37 is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 11:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DAS37 Find more posts by DAS37 Add DAS37 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DAS37
Lurker turned Poster

DU: Mitsubishi WT-46809 RPTV
SB: Philips DSHD 800
SC: Component
HT: Component
PQ: No change

Love the fact there is no more HD/SD switching.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

t0lik is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 12:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for t0lik Find more posts by t0lik Add t0lik to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
t0lik

Well, I finally was able to compare PQ between HD Tivo and Sony HD200. Result is quite strange: I first tested DVI out - and I too saw that HD Tivo is somehow "softer", not as sharp as HD200... not by much though... then I decided to test HD Tivo component out just for the heck of it - and strangely enough tivo component looks much better than DVI, where it should be the other way around. I paused a closeup of a person face on HDNet, and started doing A/B comparison between HD Tivo DVI and component out: DVI definitely looked soft - you can see that the person face on tv is "smooth", where on component I could clearly see "imperfections" on the skin, and also component was clearly brighter, more vivid picture. So, make whatever you want from it - I use component instead of DVI now - PQ is pretty much the same as on HD200 - I can see no clear difference, but DVI out clearly worse (even worse than it's own component out). So, apparently Hughes messed up DVI output in some way - maybe because of that HDMI protection some filtering or interference is going on (although there shouldn't be). My TV doesn't have HDMI input, and maybe those who have sets with HDMI won't have this problem where DVI is worse than component.

Krell Showcase Processor
ATI 1506 Amp
Atlantic Technology System 350THX

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sangs is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 04:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sangs Find more posts by sangs Add sangs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sangs
Loving My HD Tivo

Display - Toshiba 50HX81
Standalone - Hughes HTL
Stand Connect - Component
HD Tivo Connect - Component
PQ Change - None noticeable

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wilson is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 08:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wilson Find more posts by wilson Add wilson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilson

Display: Mitsubishi W65907
Standalone: Mitsubishi SR-HD5
Connection: Component
PQ Change: None

Display: Mitsubishi LT-2020
Standalone: Mitsubishi HD5000
Connection: DVI/HDMI
PQ Change: None

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged