TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> TiVo on WPA-enabled 802.11g network <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mrf2004 is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 05:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrf2004 Find more posts by mrf2004 Add mrf2004 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrf2004

TiVo on WPA-enabled 802.11g network

My home wireless network utilizes WPA security. In order to allow TiVo to connect with my Linksys WUSB11 wireless adapter, I have to temporarily change the network to operate with the far less secure WEP security settings. Is there any way to use TiVo with WPA security, or to run my network so that both WPA and WEP devices can work simultaneously?

Thanks,
Matt

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dahacker is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 08:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dahacker Find more posts by dahacker Add dahacker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dahacker

Tivo currently can't use WPA security. But who really cares. Your biggest network risk is the wire coming into your house.

The WPA spec allows for WEP to be used at the same time, but I have not heard of an AP that allows this. This doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've used the WEP cracking software and it certainly works. It still takes time and effort to crack WEP.

I think for 99.9% of home users, the risk just isn't there. Logically, only an in place neighbor could take the time to crack your WEP network. Not a drive by. If you have MAC filtering enabled, usually the worst thing is a neighbor could read all of your wireless traffic.

So for me, that means my neighbor then needs to additionally crack my SSL traffic for Credit Card transactions or decrypt my 3DES encrypted VPN traffic with work. All other traffic is pretty much junk. Frankly, I don't think my neighbors give a crap, and can buy their own stuff with their own credit cards.

So, if you are anal, set up a separate wireless network for your tivo. Cost: $30 for a B network AP on sale. You probably already have your neighbors over to see your Tivo. They don't care about its network traffic.

So, if you are only moderately anal, change your WEP key regularly.

Last edited by dahacker on 05-15-2004 at 08:39 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrf2004 is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 05:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrf2004 Find more posts by mrf2004 Add mrf2004 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrf2004

Thank you for the helpful information. I think I may very well purchase a cheap 802.11b AP, as I anticipate having the same problem with other devices in my network.

Regards,
Matt

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ruc2827 is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 08:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ruc2827 Visit ruc2827's homepage! Find more posts by ruc2827 Add ruc2827 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruc2827

Until 802.11g wireless bridge products upgrade their firmware to support WPA, you are stuck with WEP.

You can still increase the security of WEP by several orders of magnitude by performing some simple steps:
1) Disable ssid broadcast
2) Use Open not Shared Authentication
3) Enable MAC filtering

These steps prevent the majority of simple attacks.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

There is another option. You can get a wired USB network adaptor for the TiVo and then use either a wireless 802.11g bridge or one of the 802.11g gaming devices. If your router supports WDS bridging you can also use a wireless extender that supports WDS bridging.

The added benefit is that your transfer speeds will increase to about 11 mbps (from around 4-5 mbps with the WUSB11) and you can also do redo guided setup without a phone line.

Here's an example of each of the devices I described above:

1. Wireless bridge - Linksys WET54G
2. Wireless gaming device - Linksys WGA54G
3. Wireless extender that supports WDS - Linksys WAP54G, but only when used with a Linksys WRT54G with the latest firmware.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ruc2827 is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 10:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ruc2827 Visit ruc2827's homepage! Find more posts by ruc2827 Add ruc2827 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruc2827

Unfortunately, none of these bridges you mention support WPA at this point.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Blackforge is offline Old Post 05-21-2004 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Blackforge Find more posts by Blackforge Add Blackforge to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackforge

WET54G latest firmware

Version 2.08, March 26, 2004
- Adds Wi-Fi Protected Access(TM) support

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged