TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Best Buy has it instock <<<

Pages (9): « First ... « Prev 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bill Broderick is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 10:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Broderick Find more posts by Bill Broderick Add Bill Broderick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill Broderick

quote:
Originally posted by bloozeman
See my posting above, i.e., the Samsung unit will be labeled as a DirectTV box as well. It will just bring out a little competition price wise so and hopefully will speed up the process for discount deals for new subscribers like me.

robnalex is correct. Future DirecTV boxes will be built to DirecTV specs by multiple CE manufacturers. They will be DirecTV branded boxes and there will likely be multiple manufacturers building the same model box. Essentially, D* will be using the manufacturers as sub-contractors. There will not be brand competition to lower prices. Any price competition will be between retailers.

POST #121 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PRMan is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 10:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PRMan Visit PRMan's homepage! Find more posts by PRMan Add PRMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PRMan

I didn't go to my High School Prom. My wife went to hers and told me I was the smart one.

POST #122 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kjnorman is offline Old Post 05-21-2004 01:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kjnorman Find more posts by kjnorman Add kjnorman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kjnorman
Enjoying being a Dad

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl
"Ma'am, in order for me to properly diagnose your chest pains, I'm going to have to remove your shirt......... and my pants"

LOL, I needed that humor in my overwise boring day at work...

POST #123 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 05-23-2004 09:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

I got a 10% off coupon in the mail today for next weekend(Fri-Mon) at BB. I don't know if it can be used for the HR10-250 though.

POST #124 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bloozeman is offline Old Post 05-24-2004 06:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bloozeman Find more posts by bloozeman Add bloozeman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bloozeman

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Broderick
robnalex is correct. Future DirecTV boxes will be built to DirecTV specs by multiple CE manufacturers. They will be DirecTV branded boxes and there will likely be multiple manufacturers building the same model box. Essentially, D* will be using the manufacturers as sub-contractors. There will not be brand competition to lower prices. Any price competition will be between retailers.

This is not necessarily true. There is no argument that D* will be dictating the MSRP ("list") prices of the units, i.e., currently $999 but each individual manufacture may actually have a lower cost per unit than others. I believe it is expected that the Samsung unit will have a lower cost to the dealer and that is why my sales guy told me to wait. He can offer 20% off right now on the HD DirecTivo to me but expects to have a better margin on the Samsung unit if it materializes. Either way I'm holding off until I can get a better deal as a new subscriber deal than the current deal of $799 (+dish and free installation).

-Ray

POST #125 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TroyM is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 12:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TroyM Find more posts by TroyM Add TroyM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TroyM

Best Buy has an open order window on their website. I just ordered mine 5 minutes ago.

I hope they REALLY have them. <fingers crossed>

POST #126 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CutisDoc is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 12:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CutisDoc Find more posts by CutisDoc Add CutisDoc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CutisDoc
Proud HDTivo Owner

Good Luck- My HD Tivo came in the form of an iPod. Found mine at Ultimate Electronics and am hopeful BB.com doesn't screw me over on the return.

POST #127 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rich Peterson is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 12:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rich Peterson Find more posts by Rich Peterson Add Rich Peterson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rich Peterson

I just checked out BB and confirmed TroyM was correct that they did say they had them in stock. Now I see they are out of stock again so it was a very tiny window of opportunity.

POST #128 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bill Broderick is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 12:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Broderick Find more posts by Bill Broderick Add Bill Broderick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill Broderick

quote:
Originally posted by bloozeman
This is not necessarily true.

Yes. It is.

quote:

I believe it is expected that the Samsung unit will have a lower cost to the dealer and that is why my sales guy told me to wait.

There will be no such thing as a "Samsung" unit. There will only be "DirecTV" units. From the January 8, 2004 press release:

quote:

Beginning mid-2004, DIRECTV will assume complete responsibility for the sale and distribution to retail of all DIRECTV set-top boxes used to receive DIRECTV® programming and services. Over the course of the year, authorized manufacturers of DIRECTV hardware will migrate to a new standardized hardware specification, which will ensure that all DIRECTV customers enjoy a consistent user interface and experience. Similarly, the various consumer electronics brands currently associated with DIRECTV equipment will be replaced by the DIRECTV brand.

POST #129 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brown7610 is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brown7610 Find more posts by brown7610 Add brown7610 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brown7610

BB Open Window

Thanks, I got my order in before it closed. Yahoo!

POST #130 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

VeniceDre is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for VeniceDre Find more posts by VeniceDre Add VeniceDre to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VeniceDre

I was told last night by a CSR that they update the website frequently when they receive the units... last time was Thursday... I managed to catch the window this morning, ordered mine at 11:05 PST... Called a client and he got his order in at 11:15.... Out of stock at 11:20. Hopefully the orders will go through... We both chose next day shipping. Can't wait!!!!

POST #131 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Did anyone have to agree to the DirecTV contract saying that you'll activate it within a certain number of days? I'm in the NRTC so it doesn't apply, but seeing that agreement would be a good sign that I was signed up.

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #132 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brown7610 is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 01:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brown7610 Find more posts by brown7610 Add brown7610 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brown7610

Nope. No contract when I signed up.

POST #133 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 01:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

So you've already had yours for a while?

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #134 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Amy1999 is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 10:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Amy1999 Find more posts by Amy1999 Add Amy1999 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Amy1999

Best Buy in San Francisco (on Harrison) had them in stock again today. I purchased mine early this evening. When I left the store, they still had a stack of about 10 units on the floor.

POST #135 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Amy1999 is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 10:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Amy1999 Find more posts by Amy1999 Add Amy1999 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Amy1999

quote:
Originally posted by tfederov
Did anyone have to agree to the DirecTV contract saying that you'll activate it within a certain number of days? I'm in the NRTC so it doesn't apply, but seeing that agreement would be a good sign that I was signed up.

I did have to sign an agreement to activate within 30 days and to maintain DirecTV service for 1 year.

POST #136 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ed Campbell is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 10:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Campbell Find more posts by Ed Campbell Add Ed Campbell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Campbell

tfederov -- I've had mine about 10 days, now [BBY]. No problem other than the expected when activating with Pegahoof. They didn't have the box in their menu; so, I think they activated as Hughes HD box.

Then, I called TiVo folks over at Dtv and they finished things up. Said they'd already received accurate info from Pegahoof.

if you're keeping your old unit up [I did], remember to consider changing your HR10-250 to your primary unit in case you take the old one offline.

I've already pretty much settled into the groove of keeping SD season tickets on the old Hughes GXCEBOTd -- only HDTV To Do and season tickets on the new box.

I did manage to drive myself crazy programming everything into my Sony VL900 remote. Still some problems getting it to recognize there now is a remote address other than 0 for the old Hughes.

POST #137 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

oleus is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 11:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for oleus Find more posts by oleus Add oleus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oleus

i can't wait to get my hands on an HDTivo - is there any sort of notification list for best buy's website windows of opportunity?

thanks
sean

POST #138 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bloozeman is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 01:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bloozeman Find more posts by bloozeman Add bloozeman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bloozeman

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Broderick
Yes. It is.

There will be no such thing as a "Samsung" unit. There will only be "DirecTV" units. From the January 8, 2004 press release:

I know if another manufacturer builds a HD DirecTiVo it will still be labeled as a DirecTV unit. However, I find it already amusing that more than 1 Hughes labeled unit had hit the street. At this point I can only believe the source because he has not steered me wrong over the past 15 years.
Like I mentioned earlier the store deals in high-end audio/video and the DirecTV equipment is only there because Tweeter bought them out. Thus, I would not say it is his forte but I am sure he is only passing on something he learned through the Tweeter angle. In fact I'm wondering if the info he received was "translated" and became somewhat erroneous on the way because a Tivo press release issued on the same day as the one above announced the following:

quote:
The popular DIRECTV DVR with TiVo will continue to be a best seller for the leading satellite television service provider. Hughes, Philips, RCA and Samsung will all offer the integrated DIRECTV tuner with TiVo at retail outlets nationally in 2004.
TiVo Press Release

Either way I could care less if Hughes ends up being the only manufacture because as it stands now I can get the Hughes unit for $799 from him so the price will only get better from there. However, since I'd be a new D* customer and bailing from E*, have already waited this long for a HD PVR, and dropped another $25K into one of my "vices" earlier this year I'm going to wait for a new subscriber deal.

-Ray

P.S. Back to the BB topic.... for grins I asked about the HR10-250 when I was in my local BB over the weekend. The sales folks indicated they didn't expect any until August. I pointed out some other stores in CA (with Magnolia HiFi) were getting them now, etc.

POST #139 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marco is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 07:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marco Find more posts by Marco Add Marco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco
Malfeasor

Good news bad news

Good news -- I got Best Buy's 10% off coupon for this weekend in the mail.

Bad news -- It's only good on in-stock items. It sure would be nice if the HR10-250 were in stock 'round here on Friday morning ...

Marc
1 HR10-250; 1xDSR6000, 1xDVR40; People evangelized to date: 19

I was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to kick in. -- Hunter S. Tolkien

POST #140 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged