Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Atlanta GA
Originally posted by duffin
We'll here is more observations after lots of use tonight.
2. When surfing the Tivo Channel Guide, I set up a bunch of shows for 1x REC while others I put on Season Pass. For 1x shows, I go through the screen prompts and end up back at the same place on the Tivo Guide where I left off (good). When I set up a season pass from the Tivo Channel Guide and get through all the screen prompts, it lands me back at the start of the Tivo Guide for the present time, not where I left off (i.e., several days ahead for channel x) which is bad.
Yes. Extremely irritating. I found that a big problem when I was transferring my bizillion season passes. Because all the indexing hadn't been done I couldn't do a search by name to get to most of the programs; however, I found that if they were in the guide I could select them and set up a season pass, but this often required moving a week or two in advance of the current date.
I *think* I figured out a way around this once or twice, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did. Maybe I set up a record once then went through and made season passes from the to-dos or something? That's not a long-term solution but made sense for batch processing because I also needed to set up the details for and re-arrange the season passes, and after one or two I preferred to avoid the nested for loops and do things one after the other instead: find all the programs, for each program set up season pass details, rearrange order.
It occurs to me that in the non-startup typical case, going back to where you started might be the right thing. In a fully-indexed world one would do search--not guide checking weeks in advance--to set up season passes.
I wonder if doing left arrow instead of select at the end of the process would get you back to where you started?
3. I'd still like to see a one step operation like UTV "red dot" to setup a program to REC 1x or Season Pass from either Tivo Guide or D* Guide. And when I channel surf in the future, I'd like to see the "red dot" telling me a show will REC.
I must be misreading this because I thought this already happened.
Including the above, I'll narrow my upgrade desires to:
- Caller ID
- Small window in guide for current channel
- List consolidates duplicate titles on one line
- List shows more info per item than just title and date -- like to see duration, channel too
- Faster D* guide
If all the above were available, no other system would beat it unless multi-media & networking options become more prevelant.
- sure, why not (probably wouldn't work with my goofy panasonic multiple line business setup so I'll never notice)?
- can't argue against it, though I never liked that in my pre-TiVo experience, and post-TiVo I find that I never channel surf (one of the best things about TiVo: I actually *watch* more TV but the TV is on much less: if there's nothing on TiVo I find that instead of surfing I go do something else)
- not quite sure what that means, but it sounds good
- are you talking about the list guide or something else? In general though I think that TiVo ought to take advantage of 16x9 displays to show more information.
- I don't personally use it but yes it should be much faster, just on principle.
POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator
| IP: Logged