TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> New HR10-250 Owner has Bad UTV UI Withdrawals <<<

Pages (12): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
duffin is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for duffin Find more posts by duffin Add duffin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duffin

quote:
Originally posted by borghe
2. There is no stop button, but if you hit any other button to leave the recording, the show knows exactly where you left off. the left arrow takes you back to the shows screen in your Now Showing list.

Not intuitive in my opinion.

quote:
5. Shortcut to season passes is Tivo+1. Hit the Tivo button (or I guess it is DirecTV button now) and press 1 immediately after.

6. under Pick Programs to record, set up a manual recording and you can set the channel, time, and whether it is once, weekly, 5 day daily, or 7 day daily.

Good tips, didn't know this. Again, it would be nice to have a more intuitive path to these features.

quote:
7. Hit the record button on any show. A menu will pop up asking if you want to just record it or setup a season pass for it. You can also press select in the guide on any future show (ie not in the current time slot) and you will get the same menu.

I still like the simple approach of hitting record in the channel guide and receiving one red dot in the program box for REC 1x or hitting REC twice to receive two red dots to record Nx.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Voodoo Rage is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Voodoo Rage Find more posts by Voodoo Rage Add Voodoo Rage to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Voodoo Rage

I too have used UTV for several years and just did the BIG SWITCH last night. UTV was definately underrated and had a very slick interface. Too bad Bill Gates decided to quit developing that division or Tivo would still have a solid competitor in the market (competition is good).

I am confident I will get used to the differences and the Harmony remote definately helps (the directional pad and select button are much more intuitive than the Hughes remote.

BUT, there are definately some shortcomings that need to be addressed. I think that we should refuse to settle with this unit. All of us paid a lot of money for the HR10-250 and the slow guide is absolutely unacceptable. I know that it is human nature to try to look at the bright side of things when you have spent a lot of money but I think we need to keep squawking so that TIVO will hurry up and get those updates to us...

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slocko is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for slocko Find more posts by slocko Add slocko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slocko
Advanced Member

I was a UTV user for two years and quickly got used to Tivo.

Using the arrow keys to zip in and out of menus is as easy as it gets.

I do agree that they should put the season pass manager on the same level as Now Playing.

My wife still likes the old interface better, but already has mastered setting up season passes.

To me they are two different interfaces, but very similar in function.

Also, UTV is a dead platform. If Tivo survives, we will see the gap between it and UTV widen and widen and widen and widen. Don't waste tears on UTV and just move on.

Also, you child will benefit from learning at an early age that things change and that it is normal. That way he won't become one of those people that is afraid of change

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

duffin is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for duffin Find more posts by duffin Add duffin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duffin

quote:
Originally posted by slocko
Also, you child will benefit from learning at an early age that things change and that it is normal. That way he won't become one of those people that is afraid of change

Problem is he can't read. The Tivo menus are not as intuitive to him as the buttons presented in the UTV UI.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Geof in CO Find more posts by Geof in CO Add Geof in CO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geof in CO

quote:
Originally posted by avNeophyte
You're too generous. The D* guide on the TiVo is FAR slower than pouring honey out of a bottle.
More like very very cold (nearly freezing) honey.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slocko is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for slocko Find more posts by slocko Add slocko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slocko
Advanced Member

I agree that not having stop is counter intuitive.

Hitting record twice is nice, but how many times you ended up having to adjust the season pass options in UTV? I know I had to do it all the time because the defaults where not the ones I wanted. So it was twice the work.

I prefer this way because I can set the season pass options right there after hitting record.

quote:
Originally posted by duffin

I still like the simple approach of hitting record in the channel guide and receiving one red dot in the program box for REC 1x or hitting REC twice to receive two red dots to record Nx.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chadly25 is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chadly25 Find more posts by chadly25 Add chadly25 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chadly25

I for one wish they would make an HD UTV too. It would keep UTV people out of these forums complaining about how much better UTV is. To each his own.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dropper is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dropper Find more posts by dropper Add dropper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropper
UTV Zealot

In the now playing list, it needs to have a description right on the current page. If I have 3 Trading Spaces, I would need to go into each one to see if it is the one I am looking for. I guess I can get that with the Page Up/Down on the next screen, but it's a whole extra step that needs to be streamlined.

Need the guide to be faster, period. Don't tell me to use the other one, the current task is what I want to do. This also includes P-I-G (Picture in Guide).

IIRC, UTV hasn't always had folders. That was introduced in later versions of the software, and then group deletes and CallerID. Still, I don't see why DTiVo doesn't have it?

I have heard 1 rumor that they will be testing folders soon, but I don't hold much hope since it was only 1.

Adding a Start Over option would be nice. If they can't use that terminology, they could call it 'Restart', or 'Jump to Beginning'. You could have it tied to the Left arrow as an option.

Need a faster FF and RR. You would never think you needed 300x, but it does come in handy for longer shows.

Keith

1 105hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV
1 40hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slocko is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:24 PM
slocko
Advanced Member

Try teaching him to press the advance button twice. I think that restarts the program. But if it ends, I think there are more steps involved to restart it. A macro might help.

But you are right, for a child UTV was easier for that particular function. I guess that is a mark of good design when a child that can't read, can learn how to restart a recording.

quote:
Problem is he can't read. The Tivo menus are not as intuitive to him as the buttons presented in the UTV UI.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for borghe Find more posts by borghe Add borghe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borghe

quote:
When two shows are recording simultaneously and my wife sits down to watch Oprah live, she's oblivious (or malicious) that she stops by accident something I had recording. Or maybe there is a conflict between three shows schedule for recording and 2.5 recorded.

This is impossible to do accidentally. The only time it will let you change the channel and cancel a recording without prompting you is when it is recording a suggestion. If you are intentionally recording two things and she tries changing the channel, a menu will come up telling her that both tuners are currently recording and asking her if she wants to cancel the current channel/tuner. The default for this menu is "No, keep recording." So the only way she could stop a recording you scheduled is to intentionally tell the Tivo to stop recording it.

As for your child not being able to read and the show grouings, this I can understand. The only thing I can offer up is, either teach him the beginning few letters of a certain show, or better yet, if everything he is watching is on certain channels, (Toon Disney, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, PBSKids, etc), teach him the logos... unless you have a logo bugged Tivo, logos for all of those channels should show up on the Now Playing list.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

oosik77 is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for oosik77 Visit oosik77's homepage! Find more posts by oosik77 Add oosik77 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oosik77
TiVo Maniac

The one I really want to see changed is the following:

You have 40+ seasons passes and you change their order. When I back out of seasons pass maintenance don't hang me there while it does whatever it does. Let it fix the TO DO list in the background while I go onto other things. Just warn me that the TO DO list will not reflect these changes for some time. In fact you could display a message on the TO DO list that it's in the process of being reorganized and just not let us into that list until it has finished. My Tivo probably hangs there about 5 minutes after I change my seasons pass priorities.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Geof in CO Find more posts by Geof in CO Add Geof in CO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geof in CO

Forgive me for stating the obvious but everyone who has feature suggestions and/or wish list items needs to call or email DirecTv and let them know. They won't fix a darn thing if nobody complains and they will likely only address issues that get the most complaints.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

duffin is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:41 PM
duffin

quote:
This is impossible to do accidentally. The only time it will let you change the channel and cancel a recording without prompting you is when it is recording a suggestion. If you are intentionally recording two things and she tries changing the channel, a menu will come up telling her that both tuners are currently recording and asking her if she wants to cancel the current channel/tuner. The default for this menu is "No, keep recording." So the only way she could stop a recording you scheduled is to intentionally tell the Tivo to stop recording it.

She chooses "stop recording" everytime. I find out later that I only got half a show. But with the Tivo interface, I can't see at a glance in the LIST that 29 minutes were recroded instead of 60.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

duffin is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:43 PM
duffin

quote:
Originally posted by Geof in CO
Forgive me for stating the obvious but everyone who has feature suggestions and/or wish list items needs to call or email DirecTv and let them know. They won't fix a darn thing if nobody complains and they will likely only address issues that get the most complaints.

You mean they don't monitor these threads?

If they were interested in raising the bar on their DVR product, they'd be lurking here. Maybe I'm naive. If I were a product manager, I'd check in on how my launch is being digested.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for borghe Find more posts by borghe Add borghe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borghe

quote:
She chooses "stop recording" everytime. I find out later that I only got half a show. But with the Tivo interface, I can't see at a glance in the LIST that 29 minutes were recroded instead of 60.

hmm.. well, that sucks.. I personally wouldn't really stand for that, seriously. but anyway, it is just one button press, two if you count exiting back to now showing.. I really can't see that as even an inconvenience.

quote:

If they were interested in raising the bar on their DVR product, they'd be lurking here. Maybe I'm naive. If I were a product manager, I'd check in on how my launch is being digested.

They have representatives lurking here and there, but you have to understand the sheer volume of what goes on here. Generally a Tivo rep won't step in until something has generated enough of a presence that it MUST be addressed. Otherwise it is just reps who jog in and out all day.. But no, I doubt they have someone whose job it is to read the boards 8x5....

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GreyGhost00 is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GreyGhost00 Find more posts by GreyGhost00 Add GreyGhost00 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreyGhost00

quote:
She chooses "stop recording" everytime.

Hmmm. Sounds like your problem is not equipment-related, but has to do with "programming" of another nature ...

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 09:57 PM
Geof in CO

quote:

Well they may have some idea of what's being discussed here but I doubt they plan product changes based on comments made in internet forums. The slow guide issue has been pretty well discussed here so you'd think that would be a no brainer for fixing if they do evaluate internet forum comments. Then again, if they only get one or two negative comments (by phone or email) about guide speed they'd probably draw the conclusion that most of the people complaining about it in the forums were venting and bitching but weren't really annoyed enough to forward their comments/issues to DirecTv. The only way anyone can be sure to be heard is to communicate with them directly and not thru some "third party" like an internet forum.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maineman is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 10:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maineman Find more posts by maineman Add maineman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maineman

I completely agree with the premise of this thread. I have just made the switch because of the HDTivo and the UI on the UTV is just plain better and simplier on almost every level. It is easy to tell from the responses who has used UTV and who has not. I can't imagine anyone who has used UTV and the HDTivo and not prefered the UI on the UTV. If anyone likes the Tivo better I would like to hear from them.

And those of you who say that they are just "different" and one is not "better" have not used both systems. Dont get me wrong, Tivo has some nice features that UTV doesn't have. Their search features are much nicer and once you set the 30 sec. skip feature and get used to not hitting the back button they are fairly simple to run. But the everyday features are simply better on the UTV and I cant see anyone who has used both dissagree.

Having said that, if they fix the following features I'll be happy as a clam with my HDTivo (What's the use of HDTV if you can't record it?): slow guide, no indication of what's set to record in the guide, folders, easier access to season pass manager, faster ff, one button standby mode.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 11:12 PM
borghe

quote:
Originally posted by maineman
Having said that, if they fix the following features I'll be happy as a clam with my HDTivo (What's the use of HDTV if you can't record it?): slow guide, no indication of what's set to record in the guide, folders, easier access to season pass manager, faster ff, one button standby mode.

First, you make some pretty bold claims about UTV. Also remember that what you are hearing here is a miniscule commentary by previous UTV owners.. instead travel back in time on this board about 2-3 years ago and read some of the threads. Hundreds of people on this board over the years have switched from UTV and really disliked UTV compared to Tivo.

The original posters complaints have almost all been addressed in some form or another. It isn't a question of the Tivo missing a feature, it is about getting to it in a slightly different way.. and I am sorry if I disagree that having to press one or two more buttons is an invconvenience. Hainvg to press 5 or 6 more buttons and still not getting it perfect, having a substandard replacement, etc. That is an inconvenience. IF pressing one or two more buttons is an inconvenience to you, then you have never truly been inconvenienced before.

that being said, in response to your quote above:

slow guide, no recording indicator. if you are complaining about a slow guide I can only assume you mean the DirecTV grid guide, which is in fact slow. However, the DirecTV grid guide DOES have recording indicators on it for future recordings. If you are complaining about lack of recording indicator, then you have to be using the Tivo list guide which I don't think anyone has ever called slow...

folders will possibly be implemented in HMO later this year.. I am starting to believe thismore and more simply because of how many people are starting to request this stuff, combined with cable rolling out HD DVRs nationwide later this year. DirecTV will have to release something like this sooner rather than later.

easier access to season pass manager. Tivo+1. Enter it from pretty much anywhere and you are in season pass manager.

faster ff. while some may prefer a faster ff, between the current triple ff speed combined with pressing the advance button while ffwing to advance to ticks, I can't see as not being able to quickly advance through a program as fast as 300x allows you to..

one button standby. Tivo+Page Down+Select. Again, it ain't one button, but it is only three buttons.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 11:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

Obviously I haven't seen the latest UTV interface, but I did live the beta version of UTV. It was called the Dishplayer 7200. And I will tell you flat out, I prefer the Tivo interface. But it's really pretty simple to understand why both of us feel this way.

You see, my first DVR was a Tivo. I got my DP after owning a Tivo for about a year. I felt the same way about the DP as you feel about the Tivo. It's all in what you are familiar with.

And let me give you one simple example of how something you see as an obvious missing feature is infact something I appreciate. You UTV guys always talk about the picture in the guide. That's great unless you're recording a game that you don't want to know the score of before you watch and you want to schedule something. With the DP, the only way to program anything was either the guide or the pathetic search by name. There was no way to browse channels or time slots without using the guide.

And I don't need a stop button. I have a LIVE TV, a PAUSE, a TIVO, and a LIST button as well as the left arrow. You guys like to make it sound like the interface is so cumbersome. All you have to do is push a few buttons. It's not like you have to go out to the backyard and dig a hole, it's a few buttons.

But hey, if you don't like it, take it back. The marketplace has spoken. It wasn't Bill Gates that killed UTV, it was the marketplace.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged