TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> New HR10-250 Owner has Bad UTV UI Withdrawals <<<

Pages (12): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lee L is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 11:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lee L Find more posts by Lee L Add Lee L to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee L

Re: Re: Re: New HR10-250 Owner has Bad UTV UI Withdrawals

quote:
Originally posted by duffin
I thought of that, but now I can't find the setup to change it to Tivo Guide.

While in the guide, hit INFO, this will bring up a screen with some options about the time and other things, one of them being the chouice between the TiVo guide and the DirecTv style Grid Guide.

To change Season Pass options for keep until, etc without having to set it to record, then go to Season Pass Mgr, just Select as show in the guide, then on the line that says Get a Season Pass, hit the right button, that will bring up the options screen as well as set the pass up. The same works for a one time record as well.

As far as the 30 second skip. I thought for sure that it was a must have and my wife had said as much. However, even though we have skip enabled, we have totally gotten used to using the FF feature and it takes about the same amount of time to skip the average block of commercials. ( I actually still have my 2 DishPlayers running to watch some recorded stuff we could not get done ebfore the switch and I have checked this). Plus, you get to see the commercials go by and possibly see promos for shows you might want to watch or products you are actually interested in.

Revenge is like serving cold cuts -

Tony Soprano

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

duffin is offline Old Post 05-18-2004 11:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for duffin Find more posts by duffin Add duffin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duffin

In the corporate world, competitive companies always try to benchmark "best practices."

The problem now with DirecTV is that there is no longer multiple DVR providers for DirecTV. You get what you get with DirecTV.

The best practice analysis now turns between what you get when looking at Dish, Comcast, etc. Tivo is probably the clear winner for now.

I was originally thinking we should suggest to DirecTV the best practices across all receivers and DVrs that should be on the HR1-0250 upgrade path. But, I guess we can debate until the cows come home what UTV featers are best practice versus Tivo.

I simply would like to see upgrades and not stop with what we have now.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avNeophyte is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 12:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for avNeophyte Find more posts by avNeophyte Add avNeophyte to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avNeophyte

quote:
Originally posted by Geof in CO
More like very very cold (nearly freezing) honey.

That's an exaggeration. Nearly frozen honey is not nearly as slow as the TiVo guide...

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 12:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for borghe Find more posts by borghe Add borghe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borghe

there is certainly competition, and you stated it yourself.. SA8000HD, Motorola's box, Dish PVR921.. there are tons of options.. While you are "stuck" with the Tivo on DirecTV, the Tivo is really only a portion of what you are actually choosing, and that is the service. Give me a Tivo for cable and guess what? I would still stick with DirecTV... on the other hand if I had to leave DirecTV, I would still take Dish with their buggy DVR over cable. it is about service.. finally, giuve Voom the Tivo software and I can honestly say I would leave DirecTV in a heartbeat.

You pay for the whole package. While it is definitely nice to have a choice of selection from within that package (UTV and Tivo), it is definitely the exception and not the rule. You don't get a choice of DVRs with cable, generally don't get a choice of DVRs with Dish.. The fact that you had one with DirecTV was definitely more an anomaly more than anything else.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chadly25 is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chadly25 Find more posts by chadly25 Add chadly25 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chadly25

quote:
Originally posted by avNeophyte
That's an exaggeration. Nearly frozen honey is not nearly as slow as the TiVo guide...

Everyone keeps referring to the slow guide. Are you talking about the directv style guide or the TiVo guide? I use the TiVo guide and don't experience any lag time. I am actually very impressed with the layout and the speed that it refreshes. The only time I get ahead of the guide is when I start looking at a particular channel's lineup and keep channeling down to get ahead five or six days. Even then it only takes like two to three seconds to catch up.

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 12:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Geof in CO Find more posts by Geof in CO Add Geof in CO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geof in CO

quote:

The problem now with DirecTV is that there is no longer multiple DVR providers for DirecTV. You get what you get with DirecTV.

<clip>

I simply would like to see upgrades and not stop with what we have now. [/B]
The same will be true later this year when DirecTv markets all receivers....they've stiffiled innovation.

None of us want to see upgrades stop....that is why it's important (IMO) for everyone to let them know your desirements.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

avNeophyte is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for avNeophyte Find more posts by avNeophyte Add avNeophyte to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avNeophyte

quote:
Originally posted by chadly25
Everyone keeps referring to the slow guide. Are you talking about the directv style guide or the TiVo guide? I use the TiVo guide and don't experience any lag time. I am actually very impressed with the layout and the speed that it refreshes. The only time I get ahead of the guide is when I start looking at a particular channel's lineup and keep channeling down to get ahead five or six days. Even then it only takes like two to three seconds to catch up.

In my opinion, the two guides serve two different purposes. The D* style guide is useful for channel surfing when watching live TV. You see the current and upcoming programs for a bunch of channels at one time. The TiVo guide is good for selecting programs to record. You usually are working with a single channel and need to quickly navigate through time to get to the program.

The TiVo guide is a little slow and could stand some improvements but is still quite useful for its purpose. The TiVo implementation of the D* guide is just plain awful. I think that is the one everyone is complaining about.

BTW, I suspect that the observable performance differences between the two guides is probably an indicator of how the TiVo stores the guide data on the disk. It can access data for a single channel across time farily quickly but is very slow accessing data for a single time across multiple channels.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MajikMarker is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 12:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MajikMarker Find more posts by MajikMarker Add MajikMarker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MajikMarker

I'd have to echo Chadly25...I came from a Sony hd100 unit...If you wanna see a slow guide that was it! I don't remember how many channels it displayed per screen (5 I think), it would literally take 3-5 seconds to page down or page forward. I was worried before I got my HD Tivo with everyone saying that you cannot channel surf by guide with a tivo because the guide was so painfully slow. To have 8? channels displayed on the grid and, for me, the grid populates in 1-2 seconds, I have no problems with the grid guide whatsoever!

Just goes to show, IMO, to be careful when making generalized comments about how "bad, awful, slow, etc" something is as everyone has a slightly different point of reference. What may be awful for you may be seen as a benefit by someone else.....

Just my 2 cents....

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

paulfife is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for paulfife Find more posts by paulfife Add paulfife to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
paulfife

With regards to the wife stopping your recordings:

Why not set up a Season Pass for Oprah and train her to go to the Now Playing to watch it instead. Surely there can't be TWO things you'd want to record at that time of the day! ;-)

I'd think that once she gets used to watching Oprah slightly time-shifted she'd much prefer it over having to watch live.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chadly25 is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chadly25 Find more posts by chadly25 Add chadly25 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chadly25

There must be two thing recording already because the hr10-250 won't interrupt a program if there is a spare tuner available. If she tried to change the channel it would prompt her to stop recording. If she "accidently" chooses stop recording then you are SOL. If there was an open tuner then it would change channels seamlessly and she would never be prompted.

BTW-TiVo guide does get multiple channel info quickly as well. Simply pressing channel down while the left side is highlighted you can get multiple channels of info pretty quickly. For those of you that don't like the D*guide, try the TiVo guide. I am used to it because I have had TiVo's for four years now but I like it SO much better than the other guide.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

paulfife is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for paulfife Find more posts by paulfife Add paulfife to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
paulfife

quote:
Originally posted by chadly25
There must be two thing recording already because the hr10-250 won't interrupt a program if there is a spare tuner available. If she tried to change the channel it would prompt her to stop recording. If she "accidently" chooses stop recording then you are SOL. If there was an open tuner then it would change channels seamlessly and she would never be prompted.

Not so if it works the same as the SD receivers and is recording a suggestion on the other tuner. If they have removed this annoying quirk I'd be happy to hear about it.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chadly25 is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 01:53 AM
chadly25

haven't checked into this. Wouldn't TiVo ask if you would like to cancel the recording first before it changed channels though? You would assume it would ask you if you would prefer stopping the suggestion before the program you want to be recorded. I will check tonight and see how it handles this.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

convbcuda is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for convbcuda Find more posts by convbcuda Add convbcuda to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
convbcuda

I don't think us UTV users are saying Tivo is horrible, but that UTV was a little better in many respects. Having to press 1 or 2 more buttons isn't going to prevent me from buying a Tivo, but it just makes using a UTV a little better.

The fact that Tivo has more than 1 guide at all is an unnecessary complication. When they designed the D* version of Tivo, they should have just created 1 guide that was quick and easy to use.

It's been a while since I've used the out-laws Tivo that we gave them, but I had less trouble learning to use the UTV (without the instructions since I'm a guy, and we hate having to read the manual) than their Tivo.

The only reason I bought the UTV for ourselves instead of Tivo was because UTV activated the 2 tuner feature when I was looking to buy, and Tivo hadn't.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgibbs is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 02:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tgibbs Find more posts by tgibbs Add tgibbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tgibbs

quote:
Not intuitive in my opinion.

To me, the use of the left arrow to back out of any action, including playing a selection, is about as intuitive as can be. Given the limited space on a remote, I'd hate to waste a button on a redundant stop function. I'd like to see more devices follow TiVo's convention...I think the stop button is a relic of the stone age before remotes had joypads. Still, if you must have one, there are plenty of programmable remotes that will let you assign back arrow to a stop button.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgibbs is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 02:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tgibbs Find more posts by tgibbs Add tgibbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tgibbs

quote:
The UTV or other DirecTV tuners take the current background channel and reduce it to a small window in the header of the screen with the channel guide below.

I find this an unfortunate limitation of TiVo's software. You don't even get sound when you go down into the menus. Especially given the slowness of some TiVo functions, such as updating a long Season Pass list, it would be nice to be able to keep watching TV. Either in a small window or behind a translucent mentu. I notice that Moxi offers this kind of reduced display.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chadly25 is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 02:09 AM
chadly25

quote:
Originally posted by convbcuda
The fact that Tivo has more than 1 guide at all is an unnecessary complication.

You make a point of saying you were used to UTV and thats why you liked it better. Well TiVo users of past got used to TiVo's guide. They added it as a feature, not a complication. Is choice not a good thing to you?

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

borghe is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for borghe Find more posts by borghe Add borghe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borghe

to clear up the channel changing and canceled recording thing, here is how it works (HD & SD)

If the recording show you are watching is a suggestion the Tivo will change the channel.

If the recording show you are watching was scheduled by you and the other tuner isn't recording, it will change tuners and then change the channel without prompting.

If the recording show you are watching was scheduled by you and the other tuner is recording a suggestion, it will change tuners and then change the channel without prompting.

If the recording show you are watching was scheduled by you and the other tuner is recording another show scheduled by you, a menu will pop up asking you if you want to cancel the current channel's recording or not.

The only time the Tivo will interrupt a recording without prompting you is if it is a suggestion.

The only action that will interrupt a recording is someone at the remote manually changing channels.

To put it bluntly, I don't know what else could be asked for in regards to this.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chadly25 is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 02:12 AM
chadly25

quote:
Originally posted by tgibbs
I find this an unfortunate limitation of TiVo's software. You don't even get sound when you go down into the menus. Especially given the slowness of some TiVo functions, such as updating a long Season Pass list, it would be nice to be able to keep watching TV. Either in a small window or behind a translucent mentu. I notice that Moxi offers this kind of reduced display.

I must admit I would prefer being able to listen to, if not watch, my shows while navigating through the menus. I never really thought of it before because I always paused my programs before I would go to the menus.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

paulfife is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 02:53 AM
paulfife

quote:
Originally posted by borghe
to clear up the channel changing and canceled recording thing, here is how it works (HD & SD)

If the recording show you are watching was scheduled by you and the other tuner is recording a suggestion, it will change tuners and then change the channel without prompting.

Unless this was changed in the "C" release for the SD receiver this is not correct (I haven't tried it since the update). I pointed this out in a post a while back as a small enhancement:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...goto=nextnewest

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Geof in CO is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 04:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Geof in CO Find more posts by Geof in CO Add Geof in CO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geof in CO

quote:
Originally posted by MajikMarker
I'd have to echo Chadly25...I came from a Sony hd100 unit...If you wanna see a slow guide that was it! I don't remember how many channels it displayed per screen (5 I think), it would literally take 3-5 seconds to page down or page forward. I was worried before I got my HD Tivo with everyone saying that you cannot channel surf by guide with a tivo because the guide was so painfully slow. To have 8? channels displayed on the grid and, for me, the grid populates in 1-2 seconds, I have no problems with the grid guide whatsoever!

Just goes to show, IMO, to be careful when making generalized comments about how "bad, awful, slow, etc" something is as everyone has a slightly different point of reference. What may be awful for you may be seen as a benefit by someone else.....

Just my 2 cents....

1 to 2 seconds?....Send me your TiVo...I've had mine take over 6 seconds but it's closer to 4 to 5 most of the time.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged