TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> "Channels You Receive"....Shouldn't It Know ?? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
indy is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for indy Find more posts by indy Add indy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indy

"Channels You Receive"....Shouldn't It Know ??

Should I have to go through and "check" each channel that I receive? I have found that, when using suggestions, TiVo is trying to record programs that are playing on channels I do not receive (from SAT). So...I am trying to go through and "un check" the channels I don't receive.

Please tell me there is an easier way to do this......

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

Nope... you are doing the same thing all of us do.

Yes this is a tremendous pain in the rear end. And in the case of Direct TV... yes it should know. But using packages to setup the CIR list would limited flexibility. OTOH DTV has an annoying habit of changing the line up in a manner which adds channels. Thus providing the packages as a starting point to set up the list again would be a welcome improvement IMHO.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmcbrine is offline Old Post 05-23-2004 03:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wmcbrine Find more posts by wmcbrine Add wmcbrine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wmcbrine
Pink Member

Not only should it know, but it clearly DOES know, since it pops up the 721 screen on the appropriate channels. It's like the two sides of its brain (tivoapp and dssapp, instead of left and right?) have been severed.

I agree that I'd like to retain the ability to modify the list, but the default list should be set up automatically.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ChrisW6ATV is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 12:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisW6ATV Find more posts by ChrisW6ATV Add ChrisW6ATV to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChrisW6ATV

I have not yet seen any satellite TV box that can show only your subscribed channels in its guide automatically. It is probably a 'marketing department' thing, because they can use the listings as 'ads' for the channels you are not buying.

It could be worse-I bet the cable-company boxes do not even let you make a list of your choosing!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CSC1 is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CSC1 Find more posts by CSC1 Add CSC1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSC1

quote:

I have not yet seen any satellite TV box that can show only your subscribed channels in its guide automatically. It is probably a 'marketing department' thing, because they can use the listings as 'ads' for the channels you are not buying.

Perhaps not, but some come pretty close. On two of my low cost recent generation RCA IRDs (about 1-2 years old), you can go into profiles and one of the menu choices is to set the channel profile to only channels to which you have subscribed. As I recall, if you do that it takes a while for the IRD to perform the task, so I think its tuning through the entire range of channels and unselecting every channel you don't subscribe to.

Frankly, I was pretty surprised that the HD Tivo didn't have this feature for its DirecTV channels. But then, I was also surprised that we don't have folders in Now Playing, which greatly annoys me. I was previously using a stock 80 hour stand alone Tivo, and the HD Tivo records suggestions much faster than my previous Tivo since it can record 2 programs at once. I need folders!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeff125va is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 07:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeff125va Find more posts by jeff125va Add jeff125va to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeff125va
TiVo Forum Special Member

Sometimes I like having manual control over the list. For example, I dropped Showtime after "Dead Like Me" was over, but I've kept the Showtime channels in my list so that it will show up in my To Do List when the show comes back on for the new season, which will be my reminder to re-subscribe.

35 hour Philips DSR 704

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegarrett is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 08:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegarrett Find more posts by joegarrett Add joegarrett to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegarrett
DTiVo Junkie

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV

It could be worse-I bet the cable-company boxes do not even let you make a list of your choosing!

Being a previous subscriber of E* their guide would color the channels you don't get RED, so at a glance you knew. They also had an option is their guide for "Channels I Receive" and it would only show what you subscribe to. I don't understand why D* doesn't have the same thing.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 05-25-2004 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

quote:
I have not yet seen any satellite TV box that can show only your subscribed channels in its guide automatically.

IIRC, my 8 year old 2nd generation Sony DirecTV boxes can. I hardly ever use those boxes any more, but I distinctly remember being shocked when upgrading from those to my first TiVo that the same functionality wasn't there.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FlyingDiver is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FlyingDiver Find more posts by FlyingDiver Add FlyingDiver to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FlyingDiver

quote:

The DishNetwork 721 had that. It had several built in lists - "All Channels" and "Channels you receive" were two of them.

joe

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ChrisW6ATV is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisW6ATV Find more posts by ChrisW6ATV Add ChrisW6ATV to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChrisW6ATV

It is good to know that at least some boxes have had this feature. My experiences have been with more Hi-Def boxes than SD ones.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Morris Jones is offline Old Post 05-26-2004 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Morris Jones Visit Morris Jones's homepage! Find more posts by Morris Jones Add Morris Jones to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Morris Jones

I like that I can go into the list and click off things I don't want TiVo getting suggestions from, like the satellite local channels when I have OTA digital, and the spanish language channels.

But I agree, it's a pain.

Mojo

http://www.whiteoaks.com
mojo@whiteoaks.com

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged